PDA

View Full Version : WTB: JM Marked Hammer Spur/Extension

birch
11-25-2018, 10:20 PM
I just did some trading with a buddy of mine and ended up with one of my dream guns.......mid-eighties Marlin 1894 in .357 mag. I would love to get a JM marked hammer spur to dress up this ol' girl. If you have one somewhere, it sure would be put to good use. I have cash, or I always have casting/reloading stuff sitting around with someone's name on it.

Take care everyone!

kingstrider
11-26-2018, 07:22 AM
A mid-80s model will have the cross bolt safety and uses the newer round type hammer spur. The only ones I have seen that are marked JM are the older flat type used on pre-1983 guns.

birch
11-26-2018, 07:40 AM
That is the one I am looking for.

Andy
11-28-2018, 06:24 PM
I have one, just sent you a PM

jeffs4wheeler
11-28-2018, 09:47 PM
The old flat one at Numrich gun parts is $22.30.

birch
11-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Oh man......I feel a little ashamed right now. Now I know what Kingstrider means when he says the hammer spur is wrong. I did some research and found that the flat one works on 55-83 guns only. Marlin changed the hammer shape in 84 (the year of my 1894) and the old flat one will not work. You will have to excuse me if you read this Kingstrider. I was assuming that the flat would would be incorrect for my gun because of the year and not because of actual hammer shape. Marlin changed the hammer shape, and still kept the little grooves on the side of the hammer. The issue is a competely different set of hammer dimensions that will not allow for the flat one to be used.

God I love this website. I have learned so much from you fellers over the years. Thanks for the responses from everyone, but I am going to have to withdraw my post and let a dream I have had for 10 years die a peaceful death. It looks like only round hammer spurs for this guy in the immediate future. ....or, I could just go on a hunt for a pre-83 no crossbolt safety 1894 in 44 mag!!! Oh man. What a sickness!!!!