PDA

View Full Version : Citric Acid (not brass related) Cleaning

nun2kute
11-24-2018, 09:38 AM
I recently read through an old post about citric acid brass cleaning. It's now up to 43 pages. I use that method for Brass. I have also used citric acid to clean my coffee pot. My preferred method for the shower is Vinegar and Dawn. The dish soap is cheap, makes the whole room smell good and keeps the Vinegar hanging on the wall long enough for it to work on hard water scat. The prevailing thread says that Dawn and Citric Acid don't mix, they cancel each other out. I'd like to try Citric in the Shower but I am not sure what to hang it on the wall with, Any Ideas.

Nueces
11-24-2018, 10:43 AM
I use Dawn and LemiShine (citric acid) to clean my brass. The LemiShine greatly improves the cleaning over soap alone. No cancellation has been observed here.

Mix up a small amount of what you want to try and test it on one tile.

RED BEAR
11-24-2018, 01:45 PM
are you using it on shower head or for something else?

swamp
11-24-2018, 08:02 PM
I recently read through an old post about citric acid brass cleaning. It's now up to 43 pages. I use that method for Brass. I have also used citric acid to clean my coffee pot. My preferred method for the shower is Vinegar and Dawn. The dish soap is cheap, makes the whole room smell good and keeps the Vinegar hanging on the wall long enough for it to work on hard water scat. The prevailing thread says that Dawn and Citric Acid don't mix, they cancel each other out. I'd like to try Citric in the Shower but I am not sure what to hang it on the wall with, Any Ideas.

What is the ratio viniger-dawn. I would like to try it on my shower.
swamp

nun2kute
11-24-2018, 10:16 PM
This would be for anything in the "Reading Room", Shower, Sink, Seat, Bowl, but mainly Shower and Tub. I use Dawn also in stainless Tumbling brass cases, but very little when I do. I use a 50/50 Vinegar/Dawn (Heated in Microwave) in a spray bottle to apply to all surfaces. (spray it on, let it sit for 20 min's or so, then I scrub with a plastic brush while rinsing it off) Works just as good as any Commercial stuff as far as I can tell, cheap and smells better IMO. I bought a 5 lb. bag of Citris Acid a long time ago,(seems like) still got oodles, and I like the idea of cleaning with it since it's not chemical in nature. (bad pun?) I don't see how it could hurt anything in the shower. And I wonder if it would work just as good as Vinegar and be cheaper in the long run.

swamp
11-24-2018, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I will give it a try. I use dawn in my tumbler and I like best for dish washing. Good grease cutter.
swamp

samari46
11-27-2018, 12:43 AM
Anyone who was in the navy should remember the bug juice they served on the mess decks. I pint bottle made about 10 gallons of the stuff. It was concentrated so much we used it to clean the grease and oil off the deck plates in the engineering spaces.Frank

nun2kute
11-27-2018, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I will give it a try. I use dawn in my tumbler and I like best for dish washing. Good grease cutter.
swamp

Totally agree, I keep a bottle near the shower just because my hands get so greasy at work. And is cheaper than bar soap.

swamp
11-27-2018, 11:37 AM
I don't buy bar soap. Been making my own for a long time.

EDG
11-27-2018, 02:48 PM
When it comes to removing lime/calcium deposits I have used both lemon juice concentrate (citric acid) and pickling vinegar. An equal amount of both used to clean a CPAP with heavy deposits from limestone in tap water proved many times the vinegar was about 4 to 5 times more effective based on immersion times. What might take 8 to 24 hrs to remove with lemon juice would take only 30 min to a few hours to remove with common vinegar.

If a calcium deposit begins to form in a toilet just add 2 or 3 oz of vinegar to the toilet and let it stand over night. In a hurry just add a cup or 2 of vinegar and leave it a while.

jsizemore
11-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Cleaned a commercial ice making machine. #1 ingredient is phosphoric acid. #2 is citric acid. Worked well on the nickel ice plate and plastic water header.

swamp
11-30-2018, 06:37 PM
I tried the dawn and vinegar mix. It worked great in the shower.
swamp