PDA

View Full Version : Who had the worst Thanksgiving meal?

Idaho45guy
11-23-2018, 06:56 AM
I did.

My parents are wintering in Yuma. My brother went to his new wife's family Thanksgiving dinner. My daughter is in Japan with my grandkids, and my son spent it with his fiancé's family.

And I had to work a 12-hr shift. Plus I've been doing the low carb diet for the past month and a half.

So my Thanksgiving dinner was a 2-day old store-bought chef's salad, a can of pickled beets, and a small bag of habanero-flavored almonds from the vending machine. And half the salad was wilted.

But I have lost around 25lbs since October 15th.

Who else had a horrible and pitiful Thanksgiving dinner?

Hickory
11-23-2018, 07:21 AM
I was sick yesterday.
Might eat something later.

Idaho45guy
11-23-2018, 07:23 AM
I was sick yesterday.
Might eat something later.

Dang, I think you beat me...

Preacher Jim
11-23-2018, 08:16 AM
We stood in line 3 hours and had worst food ever seen served. Dried out turkey. Went to a cracker barrel and will never go to that one again.

toallmy
11-23-2018, 08:17 AM
I found part of that 25 pounds you lost yesterday at the dinner table . WOW that's some pretty serous weight loss 5 pounds a week ..be safe

Butler Ford
11-23-2018, 08:51 AM
No competition from me, I had a gas station sandwich and a bag of chips. 14 hour shift @ 911 last night

Mr_Sheesh
11-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Stomach was a bit upset so I just had a couple turkey hot dogs in some Ramen Noodle soup; Not the best Thanksgiving meal I've ever had. Tonight I'll feed a LOT better though :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-23-2018, 10:23 AM
SNIP...

So my Thanksgiving dinner was a 2-day old store-bought chef's salad,

...And half the salad was wilted.

I hope there wasn't any Romaine Lettuce in that salad :dung_hits_fan:

I am blessed to be continually invited to my Daughter's side of the family for most Holidays, Her Mom is a great cook...Turkey, and ham and all the trimmings.

jeepyj
11-23-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking to myself, if that's what your eating its no wonder your loosing so much weight. Although I do like me some habanaro almonds every once in a while.
I sure do hope things get better in the food department for you.

Big Boomer
11-23-2018, 02:17 PM
Never got near the turkey, dressing, etc. yesterday, but at Cumberland Falls State Park in southern Ky. they had a great buffet. My choice was some well done beef along with a few veggies, preceded by a great salad. Like Idaho45guy, I've lost about 30 lbs in the last few years because of diabetes and staying away from anything with sugar. However, after yesterday's fare my blood sugar level this morning was 108 and my weight was 190. Dr. says my blood work is great. My cholesterol total number is 123 and the dr. says I am genetically protected. Downside is I'll be 79 next February if I make it until then. Big Boomer

Pressman
11-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Great dinner, pecan pie with all the fixin's, then pecan pie for late lunch. Oh, yes there was some taters and gravy and other stuff to compliment the pecan pie.

Ken

Blackwater
11-23-2018, 03:24 PM
I45guy, keep up the good work, brother! It's never been meant for EVERYbody to feast. But to simply appreciate the CHANCE to have done it, and denied ourselves the joy of that for the greater good you're working toward, is inspiring! You've set an example for us. No whining or moaning. Just a simple note that not everyone can feast on Thanksgiving Day. You have some wondrous Thanksgivings ahead of you with a family like that. Enjoy them when they get here, and always remember "the lean times" like the one you just had. It helps keep us humble and thankful all year long.

Adam20
11-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Last year 14 people on wife’s side of family got food poisoning for undercooked turkey. I was very thankful I had dinner before we got there.

mold maker
11-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Form the first time in family history, I convinced the wife to forgo the week long prep for the family feast. She made reservations and allowed professional cooks do the deed.
There were 18 of us served :p:p:p:p:p:p:p exceptional food and all we had to do was show up. There was no hour of cleanup or packing the frig with leftovers. And I won't have turkey sandwiches for the next week. I had country fried stake with taters and gravy, green beans, and cherry pie for desert.
I feel for all that didn't get what they preferred, or ate too much of what they wanted.
My Thanksgiving experience was great although several who usually ate with us were watching from above.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-23-2018, 10:23 PM
Best wishes to those who had a tough Thanksgiving. We escaped the Norovirus last year, but several family members went down with it.

possom813
11-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Mine wasn't too bad, the wife and I couldn't make it to the 'big' family meal this year because of work.

We weren't planning on having anything at all, really. But I was at Walmart last week and saw 'pre cooked smoked turkey' heat and eat for around $15 so I bought one.

We had that with a dressing casserole, deviled eggs, baked sweet potatoes, and a couple of store-bought sugar free pies.

I forgot to get cranberry sauce, so I had to use a honeybutter mix on the dressing.

The turkey wasn't bad, not the best turkey I've ever had(we have a competition pitmaster in the family), but not bad.

I'll actually have time to prepare a bit better for our Christmas meal. I have another turkey I picked up that isn't pre-cooked, found him in the Wednesday markdown cooler for $3. 22lbs. He'll find a spot next to the ham on my smoker on Christmas Eve :)

Handloader109
11-23-2018, 11:44 PM
Nope, GREAT MEAL. Wife's a great cook, I'd starve if I had to cook. Turkey (small breast) sliced ham, rolls, stringbeans, dressing, cranberry sauce, brussel sprouts. Yummm

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RED BEAR
11-24-2018, 01:49 PM
thanksgiving is one of the days i eat what i want and as much as i want . the wife did a real.feast everything home made she started monday. son and grandkids came over it was great.

Hickok
11-24-2018, 02:19 PM
My dinner was a test of willpower, just to see if I could swallow it and keep it down..:violin:

The wife made turkey and stuffing, mashed taters and gravy, and home-made punkin' pie.

Then I was forced to eat some of everything so I didn't hurt her feelings!

I came back for seconds on the punkin' pie, just to be sure she would be happy!:bigsmyl2:

Rubino1988
11-24-2018, 10:36 PM
Turkey meatballs have had me running to the bathroom for the last 24 hours

DukeSoprano
11-24-2018, 10:50 PM
17 relatives here, our electric oven died mid turkey!!!!
I called my buddy down the street and he cranked up his oven as I raced the 1/2 cooked bird to him.
The broiler part still worked so all the softball sized rolls, I watched them brown on top then flipped them over with tongs to brown the bottoms.
We ate dessert first and everyone thought it should be our new tradition!

Crash_Corrigan
11-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Back in '88 we were living in Vermont in a log cabin on 10.5 acres of land. We sold the house and we moved into a 30' travel trailer. We had the movers come and take most of our stuff to New Mexico a few days later and we closed the deal on the house. While adjusting to the trailer thanksgiving came around and we were just too tired out from all the packing and moving experience that we just decided to forgo a big thanksgiving feast and we drove to a nearby town and went to a restaurant for dinner.

It would be our best thanksgiving ever. The food was fantastic and the service wonderful. No dishes to wash and no leftovers to pack away. The next morning we embarked on a cross country drive hauling our 30' trailer behind our new GM Jimmy 4x4. My wife was suffering with a pair of deterioated discs and her doctor suggested moving to a warmer and drier climate. This jaunt took 3 weeks and we finally ended up in Littlefield TX at her brothers house. We parked the trailer in the drive and used it for our bedroom and we had a 2 week visit. Reluctantly on 1/1/89 we left for Albuquerque NM.

During our journey there was some nasty winter weather which we outwaited in various places. There was a rest stop near Scranton PA that we stayed in for 48 hours while a snowstorm made driving impossible. Another 48 wait in Little Rock AR as an ice storm closed down all the roads. Then there were a few days spent in various KOA camgrounds when the wife's back was really bad and she needed to rest. WE had no timetable only a destination. All in all it was a great experience. I had wanted to travel the Smokey Mountain Highway but I failed to fill my gas tank until after we got on the narrow highway. Shortly I realized my mistake and we had to perform a U turn on a highway while dragged around a overloaded 30' trailer. It was very tough.

When the deed was finally done there were some apoligies made on both sides for the screaming and yelling that accompanied the task. WE made it just my inches............. Finally we arrived in NM and found ourselves in a KOA campground on the East side of town. WE lived in that trailer for a year and we sold it in '89. WE finally left NM in '93 for Las Vegas where we both found decent jobs and we rented a house. We are still there happy as clams.

Idaho45guy
11-25-2018, 12:22 AM
17 relatives here, our electric oven died mid turkey!!!!
I called my buddy down the street and he cranked up his oven as I raced the 1/2 cooked bird to him.
The broiler part still worked so all the softball sized rolls, I watched them brown on top then flipped them over with tongs to brown the bottoms.
We ate dessert first and everyone thought it should be our new tradition!

A section of town here lost power at about 1pm on Thanksgiving day. I can imagine some of the panicked folks who still had some time left to cook the bird...

Idaho45guy
11-25-2018, 12:42 AM
While we're sharing Thanksgiving disaster stories...

When I got divorced and moved up to Idaho from Arizona a few years ago, my then-single brother and I began a tradition of going down to the family cabin about an hour away and cook our own Thanksgiving meal and shoot a bunch of guns.

One year, we decided to try smoking the bird. We had an old cheap smoker that we had never used and decided to try it out. We smoked the turkey for about 3 hours after first soaking it in a salt-water brine for 24 hours to thaw it out and season it. It looked perfect. On the outside...

Then we stuck it in the oven and kept monitoring the interior temp to make sure it was thoroughly cooked. By the time it was done and safe to eat, the skin of that bird was ready to make boots out of! I'd never seen such an awful looking Thanksgiving turkey!

But the meat was actually very, very good! I'm not a fan of smoked meats, but my brother loved it and thought it was the most delicious turkey he'd ever had.

So we continued to smoke a turkey the next couple of years, until he met his future wife... Now our short-lived tradition is no more, but I will always remember how awful those smoked turkeys looked.

Wag
11-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Whenever I smoke a turkey, they look horrible, but the skin forms a bag of sorts and the meat is the best, most tender I've ever had on a turkey. The first one I ever did was the best on. When I opened up the smoker and saw it, my heart sank because we had 25 people on the way for dinner. We had knows the smoked bird wasn't going to be enough and we had the foresight to put another one in the oven. The problem was, we had sized them together to have enough and one bird wasn't going to cut it.

Anyhoo, I could hear the juices sizzling in the skin and I just had to look.

We put it in a deep turkey roasting pan and cut into it and the juices just spilled out into the pan in a flood. I've never seen that much dripping from any bird, large or small. The smokey scent was delicious. I started cutting away the skin and found the most perfectly colored and flavored meat underneath it.

We made gravy from the drippings and as it happens, of course, the smoked bird was completely consumed and very little of the other bird was even touched unless it had a ton of gravy all over it! Best T-Day bird I've ever had, before or since.

Over the next couple of days, we took the leftover oven baked bird, made more gravy from the massive quantity of drippings from the smoked turkey and made about 30 or 40 turkey pot pies with it. They freeze just perfectly so it was a hit for a couple more weeks.

I've tried to replicate it since then but still can't get it just right.........

Ahhhh, the memories!

--Wag--

Hardcast416taylor
11-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Several years back when I was confined in a hospital with blood clots over the turkey day I can tell you that the `dinner` I was served was probably of lesser quality than convict food at Sing Sing! This year at home we just had a simple meal of roast turkey breast and a few sides that we enjoy among the 4 of us. No little kids tearing up the house or relatives that want to pick a verbal fight upsetting everybody, thank you very much.Robert

whistlersmother
11-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Well, compared to all, ours was pretty typical. I deep fry 2 chickens and a turkey each year. My wife and her family eat Asian food, chicken included, but not so much turkey.

This year I over-estimated frying time and over-cooked the turkey. Inside was good, but some parts of the skin I put on the bottom of my boots to fill some holes.

Still got another in the freezer - won't mistake over-cooking that one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RP
11-25-2018, 01:17 PM
I think sooner or later we will all have a bad holiday if you have not had one yet its on the way. No bad how bad one is I try to make the best out of it spend time with family and let all the little things that bug me go to the way side. I am never able to eat much when everyone is over or I am at a big event nerves I guess I am just not hungry.
I am feeling bad for my nieces and nephews they lost their mom services are today the grand kids are to young to effect as much but every Thanksgiving to come they will be reminded of her passing.
I shared a birthday with my father and when he pass I was in my twenties 30 years later it still a hard reminder of him not being around watching my kids grow up and have someone to talk to about life.
Family sure can drive you crazy but I think crazy is better then being alone.
My wife has been great we invite people that are alone over to the house or take them a plate of food and spend time with them she knows why I do it but never complains. We had kids live with us that were not related over the years and when my son was in the army or house would fill up every time he was able to come home. They would sleep any where just to get off that base sure is was a extra load on us having up to 10 young men crashing in a three bedroom house.
So when everything is going down the drain there is someone else having a worst day in their life reach out and give a smile hand shake meal just some kindness it cost nothing but changes things you may never know about.

MrWolf
11-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Good for you RP. Great sentiment to keep.

Ron

shdwlkr
11-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Idaho45guy
this year I had my two youngest kids with me for a week so it was a great thanksgiving. Next year it only be me so most likely a cup of soup and done.

Hardcast416taylor
11-26-2018, 03:26 PM
RP. I know what you mean by the small house filling up with guys in khaki. When my son was still in the Marines when that is what would happen to us when he got leave. I would break out whatever weapons from my safes and dig out the cans of ammo for the guys to use on my range if they so wanted, at least they enjoyed shooting different types of weapons as a `semi civilian`. My Frau would be cooking almost non stop while we had so many `sons` here and the compliments on her cooking were non stop. My Son has been gone now going on 9 years, we still get many X-Mas cards from the men of his squad from when they were in the `sand box`.Robert

bdicki
11-26-2018, 04:12 PM
We usually don't cook a turkey for Thanksgiving because the wife doesn't really care for it. This year I talked her into cooking one. We had turkey and all the fixings and invited an 87 year old man that lives a few doors down the road. I just met the guy last week but thought he might like some food and company as he lives alone. Worked out great and we have a new friend.

mattw
11-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Gotta say, my wife made a spread fit for a king. I smoked the turkey, she and the kids made noodles, mashed taters and backed beans. But, It was far from the best I have ever had... In the last 4 years, I lost my best buddy, my father and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. So, this year is was just my wife, 2 kids and one of their BFF's. I really miss the dinners that were controlled chaos of years gone by.

brass410
11-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Gotta say, my wife made a spread fit for a king. I smoked the turkey, she and the kids made noodles, mashed taters and backed beans. But, It was far from the best I have ever had... In the last 4 years, I lost my best buddy, my father and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. So, this year is was just my wife, 2 kids and one of their BFF's. I really miss the dinners that were controlled chaos of years gone by.

me to

lylejb
11-27-2018, 12:45 AM
Power outage just before the turkey was to go in the oven. Out all afternoon, until about 6 pm. Too late to start a turkey at that point, we wound up at Denny's.

Battis
11-27-2018, 01:14 AM
post deleted.
It was a real "downer" story.