PDA

View Full Version : a new loader?

bob208
11-20-2018, 10:01 AM
grand son 10 years old wants to go deer hunting. I said if you want to shoot you have to load the shells. started him out and he likes it.

richhodg66
11-20-2018, 10:08 AM
I used to reload with my dad, but didn't really get into it as a kid. Shot a lot of dad's reloads, though.

While I was in the desert waiting on Operation Desert Storm to kicks off, I did a lot of corresponding with my dad via letters. I got the itch to get a serious hunting rifle and get serious about it. When I got back, he brought me out a reloading set up and rifle and we went through the processes, even though I knew enough to be dangerous. The bug bit as they say, and I'm now almost as avid a handloader as he was.

I wish I had taken more of an interest in it as a kid. Most of my shooting was .22s and just let Dad handle the other stuff for the most part. I'd probably be more knowledgeable now had I started earlier.

lightman
11-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Good on you, Bob! He will always remember those times and you will cherish those memories forever. Both of my Sons hunt and shoot but only one has taken to reloading and so far neither has gotten into casting. I have Grandsons that are just about old enough to get into reloading and I hope to have the opportunity to teach them.

BrassMagnet
11-21-2018, 09:43 PM
It took years of encouragement, but I finally managed to get my big brother, brother-in-law, and nephew to all want to cast and reload. They even all jumped onboard the same week and all of them joined CastBoolits!
WooHoo!!!

Three44s
11-23-2018, 11:06 AM
First I talked my nephew into a 300 RUM ..... then I started teaching him how to reload!

When he saw his groups shrink by half “at his own hand”, he was hooked.

Three44s

samari46
11-24-2018, 01:00 AM
I started reloading after I got out of the Navy back in '67. One of my buddies got an old texan press from me and a set of rcbs dies in 38 special. He used to shoot a lot of the crappy 3D reloads which were pure lead swaged wadcutters. Then one of my daughter's friends who shoots 44 magnum got gifted dies, cases, powder, and a press with the admonition that he go out and but at least three loading manuals to be able to cross check load data. Don't know if he ever did anything with the stuff I gave him and never got an answer so gave up on him. When I moved to Louisiana joined a good gun club. Started shooting steel plate matches with a 1943 Ithaca in 45acp. didn't have many cases so got gifted a bunch with loads for WST and one load shot so well I never changed it. Up graded with a Springfield Armory NM model with Knowlin barrel, ambi safety, and naturally had to suplement my stash of mil surp mags with 6 chip McCormick. Stopped shooting steel plate matches while a ball of fun I was always at the bottom. Was fun while it lasted. Then dug out a 1935 Finn Model 27 in 7.62x54r and started with cast bullets. Barrel on this baby gleams and to date (over 30 years) all that barrel has seen was cast bullets. Gonna dig out my sportered remington 1903A3 and start with that and finally my cut down 1898 Krag in 30/40 of course.Got a couple projects lined up. Czech VZ24 action, mismatched CZ bolt and a barrel off one of the Persian 8mm camel carbines. Cannot afford a real one so have the gunsmith make one up for me. Have a really nice vz24 stcok but no upper handguarn but won't be needed. Then there is a little winchester low wall looking to have its barrel relined to 32-20 and last but not least a BSA 22rf barreled action to be fitted to a stock I got from John Appelton before he passed away so that smith will clean up the sidewalls, redrill for a picatinny rail so I can use modern optics. Hopefill will have at least one ready to shoot.Been scrounging parts gear and there for years so got to the point something has to be done. Frank

Rubino1988
11-24-2018, 10:37 PM
Very nice to hear I wish someone thought me the wonders of reloading at 10