PDA

View Full Version : Located MY source of WW!!!!!

badgeredd
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I went into the tire shop I usually deal with to have my tires rotated today. I noticed the desk person was a different fellow, I didn't really care much for the guy usually there, SO I asked what they do with their scrap WW. Well it so happens that the fellow I was used to was no longer there and the guy I asked was the NEW manager. He replied he sold them. I asked how much, he said "make me an offer." WELL since I hadn't found any place around to get WW I decided a few days ago that 40 cents a pound would be fair (since the area salvage yard was asking 60 cents/pound if they had any. The new manager said that since I was picking them up and 40 cents a pound was what he got from a salvage yard that he sell them to me for 35 cents. He proceded to take me out into the shop and showed me 4 buckets FULL plus a 5th that was partly filled. I told him I would take them all if he didn't mind. WELL he really liked the fact I was willing to bring back the buckets and I had offered him a couple more since I had them at home. He knocked the price down to 30 cents a pound and helped me load about 400 pounds of reasanably clean WW! NOW I HAVE MY OWN SOURCE as long as I want to pick them up about every 3 weeks or so!!!!!!

All I have to say is COOL COOL COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how it worked out. Like I said the previous guy was always kinda put out when I asked if he had any available. The new manager was not only decent about answering me, he set me up with a steady source as long as I want it.

Goes to show that if one is persistent it will pay off eventually.

Edd

Jack Stanley
10-02-2008, 08:37 PM
That's a great thing to have your own lead mine ... congrats ! Take care of the new manager lest any thugs or gangters from Stugis move in on yer action :-D
Happy casting to ya !

Jack

Leadforbrains
10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Man that is awsome! Sounds like you have hit the motherlode!:drinks:

badgeredd
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
That's a great thing to have your own lead mine ... congrats ! Take care of the new manager lest any thugs or gangters from Stugis move in on yer action :-D
Happy casting to ya !

Jack

Apparently you know the area. Where are you from?

Edd

jawjaboy
10-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Good deal Badger! :drinks: I've been told NO a hunnert times. I've never given up. Out of them hunnert times, all it takes is one or two OK's to put you on a heap of boolit lead.

I salute you Sir.

Keep it up. :-D

John Boy
10-02-2008, 11:17 PM
NOW I HAVE MY OWN SOURCE as long as I want to pick them up about every 3 weeks or so!!!!!!
Edd - I had a source like yours ... then the dealership went bankrupt! But my 3 other shops still provide me with free WW's with a 20 dollar bill every now and then as my gesture of Thanks!

Buckshot
10-03-2008, 03:34 AM
...............Treat that guy good! Heck, drop by with a box of donuts even if you're not picking up any lead. Be sure your phone number is on the WW buckets in case he has a run on'em and needs them emptied :-)

..................Buckshot

Alvin in AZ
10-03-2008, 03:44 AM
...3 other shops still provide me with free WW's with a 20 dollar bill every now and then as my gesture of Thanks!

Ok, dumb question time...
About how much does a 5 gallon bucket full of WWs weight?

Alvin in AZ

copdills
10-03-2008, 06:12 AM
good deal sounds like your good to go:drinks::castmine:

EMC45
10-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Good deal! Sometimes a new face is all it takes.

imashooter2
10-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Ok, dumb question time...
About how much does a 5 gallon bucket full of WWs weight?

Alvin in AZ

120-150 pounds depending on trash, size of weights and how full "full" really is.

badgeredd
10-03-2008, 08:04 AM
120-150 pounds depending on trash, size of weights and how full "full" really is.

shooter2,

You're spot on. I weighed the buckets and the 5 gallon were 130# while the smaller 3 1/2 gallon (or so) were right at 100#. BTW I smelted up 100# last night and I had 7 steel weights and about 10 zinc. Put the thermometer in while I was smelting to keep the mix around 600 to 625 and the zinc just sit on top when I started pulling out the clips and dirts from the top.

Edd

badgeredd
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
...............Treat that guy good! Heck, drop by with a box of donuts even if you're not picking up any lead. Be sure your phone number is on the WW buckets in case he has a run on'em and needs them emptied :-)

..................Buckshot

Buckshot,

That is an excellent suggestion. I talked to the guys in the shop and a few donuts on occasion would definitely help to cement a good supply relationship. I LIKE it! Thanks,

Edd

P.S. Now I need to check a couple other shops. One does a lot of truck tires so they would be an excellent source if I can swing a deal with them. Also I have my trucker brother looking for sources in the places he frequents. I really would like to get a good supply built up, and if I get more than I can use, I'll share with some fellows in the area. No sense being a pig after I get my supply built up.

remy3424
10-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Sweet deal there!!! Get your war chest built-up and then you have some barter material!!!

looseprojectile
10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
sometimes is a no no. Those managers can have a fear that they are going to be found taking bribes. When I was driving truck I considered myself a representative of the company I worked for. I dealt with the managers of public utilities. A lot of times I found that a contribution of several fifths of liquor, "for the Christmas party' was acceptable. Cash was taboo. Those managers could give away the store, though cash was not mentioned. Trade is good in most instances. Lord only knows how many hats I gave to weighmasters at truck scales to start the conversation. Always helped. I always appreciated the free stuff that I got from the utilities. I am still using some coffee mugs I got from one place after eighteen years. These are advertising give aways as were the hats I gave them. Consider the sensitivities of politics. I have even bought flowers for the gals in the office at some of those places. Those women do the paper work and a good attitude on their part doesn't hurt at all. It doesnt hurt at all to be thought of as a nice guy by the security people also, especially when dealing with hazardous materials. Of course a man has to scale the "gift" to the situation.
You will find that public utilities have lead to sell, trade or barter also. Sometimes you can bid on scrap at these places. For instance, the Bonneville Power Administration has a scrap yard in Vancouver Washington where the public can bid on scrap. An amazing selection of neat surplus stuff.
Life is good

leadeye
10-03-2008, 09:14 PM
What a score! I stopped in a place yesterday and got the same story I hear all the time now. They have a "green" contract to recycle the old ones.

Fatman
10-06-2008, 09:41 AM
I'd take really good care of that source!!!!!!! And dropping in once in a while with a dozen doughnuts doesn't hurt either!!!!!!!

Fatman

HORNET
10-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey ED !!! It's nice to share...hint, hint,hint.......LOL!

jack19512
10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I stopped by two places the other day. I struck out at both :cry:

Three44s
10-17-2008, 12:45 AM
A co-owner of a local tire shop buys hay from me ......

.... me thinks I am set!!

Three 44s

Hardcast416taylor
10-17-2008, 02:17 AM
I lived in a small town up here in the thumb area for many years. A friend managed a service station that repaired tires. There was only 1 other guy that used the leadin town for keel anchors on his duck decoys. I regularly asked how full the weight pail (5 gal.) was getting. Because of our friendship, and the fact I re-plumbed his station after an ice storm - ahead of everybody else in town. The weights cost nothing, just bring the pail back. Heck I gave him 2 more pails in better shape than his! As the supply exceeded my use my stock pile eventually moved into the area of HUGE. Today, some 25 odd years later, I still have close to 1/2 a ton of ingoted WW. My friend also asked me 1 day if I used old printers type? He bestowed on me close to 700 lbs of linotype from a long ago closed newspaper in out town. The lino was still wrapped in paper as it was typed for each column or news article. So YES friendship is a great plus sometimes, but a few random acts of remembrance help. :Fire:

Heavy lead
10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Badger Redd,
Nice find, better watch those guys from Sturgis,
And Paw Paw!:bigsmyl2:

badgeredd
12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Well guys and gals, I had a great experience today.

HAVING PICKED WW on a regular basis from my source, I felt it was time for me to show some added appreciation to the guys that are collecting them. So I told my wife that I wanted to get into town early today and pick up some fresh donuts for the guys. Well being the fine lady she is, she suggested I take in a bunch of her home backed Christmas cookies. Well thinking that it was a great idea I did just that. Since it was time to pick up the accumulation for the last 3 weeks I asked the manager if he had any WWs available after I gave him a fairly large box of cookies. He replied he had probably a 5 gallon bucket full I could go ahead and pick up.

After loading the bucket in the Jeep, I went back in to pay him for them. Darned if he didn't say "Merry Christmas and no charge since you brought in the cookies."

Of course I now owe the wife big time!!!!!

Like Buckshot and others have said, it pays to show ones appreciation!

Edd