PDA

View Full Version : Shot a fawn

Les Staley
11-18-2018, 10:30 PM
First cast boolet 30-30 kill! Lee 170-309 COWW+ a dash of solder(tin). Powder coated and gas checked - moved by 29 gr IMR3031. Haven't chronoed but grouping 2" at 100 yds. My buddy and I both drew extra doe tags for a nearby area. Went this morning to find boundary of a property to hunt, a fat buck crossed the gravel in front of us. After verifying the boundry, decided to still hunt the ridge toward each other. Pretty crunchy and noises, so used a grunter as I eased along. Spotted this "fawn" and almost let it walk, too little, but standing at 45 yds too tempting. Walked up to this fat buck. Heart almost unsalvageable. Trying to post pic of a nice eight point.

45&30-30
11-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Congratulations on your first cast bullet deer!
This reminds me of my first still hunting deer. I had been reading Francis Sell's book on deer hunting and teaching myself to Still Hunt. I was walking along this lightly wooded trail one day, when a deer just appeared within five yards of me. I took it with my Marlin 30-30. I walked to that deer and man did it shrink. I gutted it and tied the legs together and carried it out like a suitcase. I was proud of my suitcase deer. Thanks for the memories.

1bluehorse
11-19-2018, 12:36 PM
First cast boolet 30-30 kill! Lee 170-309 COWW+ a dash of solder(tin). Powder coated and gas checked - moved by 29 gr IMR3031. Haven't chronoed but grouping 2" at 100 yds. My buddy and I both drew extra doe tags for a nearby area. Went this morning to find boundary of a property to hunt, a fat buck crossed the gravel in front of us. After verifying the boundry, decided to still hunt the ridge toward each other. Pretty crunchy and noises, so used a grunter as I eased along. Spotted this "fawn" and almost let it walk, too little, but standing at 45 yds too tempting. Walked up to this fat buck. Heart almost unsalvageable. Trying to post pic of a nice eight point.

You shot a fawn? Ahh, never mind, what's the point.

richhodg66
11-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Don't know about Idaho, but here the fawns grow fast and even now, if they aren't standing in a group can be mistaken for adult does pretty easily. By January, they are as big as deer generally ever get down south.

Omega
11-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Same here, unless they have spots or standing next to momma, it's difficult to know how big they are. My personal delineator is spots, but I've taken two in my early years, both of which had their spots hidden to me. Now, button bucks...seems I can't figure them out, I keep ending up with one, and here they count as buck.

Brad Cayton
11-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Congratulations! If I'm doe hunting I take the smaller deer. Better tasting and easier to handle. I surely wouldn't pass on a nice racked buck but I like eating the smaller ones.

richhodg66
11-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Same here, unless they have spots or standing next to momma, it's difficult to know how big they are. My personal delineator is spots, but I've taken two in my early years, both of which had their spots hidden to me. Now, button bucks...seems I can't figure them out, I keep ending up with one, and here they count as buck.

I have seen some still sporting some spots during our muzzle loader season in September, but that early, they are small enough to tell even at a distance. I was out this morning with the cross bow, the rut is definitely in, had deer running around all over the place and even had a small doe but was probably a fawn come within ten feet of me (I was camoed up but on the ground). I wasn't going to shoot her either way, but I'd have been hard pressed even that close to have been real sure it was a fawn from this year or one of last year's young does.

Thumbcocker
11-19-2018, 02:10 PM
A guy at work went to Texas and killed a 2.5 year old doe that weighed 60 pound not gutted. He killed an 8 point that weighed 150 pounds not gutted.

richhodg66
11-19-2018, 02:15 PM
They do grow them big here in the Midwest. I grew up in the deep south and about 20 years ago while hunting with some guys here, saw the first mature Kansas buck I had ever really seen on the ground. Darn thing looked like a horse to me, but nobody else even seemed to bat an eye.

Last year was the first time in a while I butchered out a fully grown 3-4 year old buck here, his rack wasn't that much, but he was big. I didn't think I was ever gonna get done cutting meat.

Texas by God
11-19-2018, 02:32 PM
I'll shoot a fawn if it's outgrown its spots. I like veal, too.
Judge if you must.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

redhawk0
11-19-2018, 02:49 PM
I've taken some small ones. They are pretty good eating....just not too much. All the same...its meat for the freezer. Congrats on getting one...there are many that can't say they've gotten anything for the freezer.

redhawk

richhodg66
11-19-2018, 04:23 PM

Camper64
11-19-2018, 04:37 PM
It's harder to hit the smaller ones than the bigger ones is what I tell them.

robinsroost
11-19-2018, 04:52 PM
I once killed two fawns with one shot, (they were still in their mother's womb)

Texas by God
11-19-2018, 05:33 PM
I once killed two fawns with one shot, (they were still in their mother's womb)Of course you didn't know until after the shot.
I've killed pregnant sows that were still nursing piglets- bonus points in the War against Feral Hogs! 8 pigs, one shot.

Les Staley
11-20-2018, 12:08 AM
My "fawn" was a 2 and a half year old 8 point buck! It didn't look like a full grown deer, and even thought about passing it up, but freezer is pretty empty, so "bang" ...it took off. Still didn't realize what I had shot till I walked up to this eight point. I was able to post a picture over on Paco Kelly's Leverguns forums. Take a look!

Shingle
11-21-2018, 08:00 PM
The only time I see lil deer is when im close to a vehicle, if I walked 8 miles from truck I'l get a doeasouras you know the one with the ears so big they sag like a mules and I never ever see a buck that big.

4719dave
11-23-2018, 03:04 PM
I HEAR YA ..im sorry but ...
You shot a fawn? Ahh, never mind, what's the point.

Texas by God
11-24-2018, 05:55 PM
I proudly culled this "Northern fawn size" spike this morning while haying the cows.
I thought it quite nice of him to expire by the road[emoji3] Made do with the 22-250(again) as I was on the lookout for a particular coyote. 55gr Vmax worked like a big game bullet on this particular deer.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181124/d38dda98fc111e482eeedb9facb3d6d6.jpg

nun2kute
11-24-2018, 06:57 PM

With a Longbow no less, THAT'S HUNTING. This other stuff is just Killing.

Edward
11-24-2018, 07:21 PM
You shot a fawn? Ahh, never mind, what's the point.Good going it would not have made it thru the weather and the bigger ones will ,survival of the fittest .And they eat great :bigsmyl2:

Edward
11-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Not hardly (GEESH)

dverna
11-24-2018, 07:33 PM
I do not shoot fawns or does with fawns. I do not need the meat that badly. But I understand others need meat and shoot anything.

BTW, I am not sure if a fawn has a better chance of surviving northern MI winters with mom but I still could not do it. I have a fawn here that appears to have lost her mom. It lets me get to within 50-60 yards. Cute little thing.

Les Staley
11-25-2018, 12:37 PM
If one of you guys would be willing to post a picture of my "fawn", pm me your phone # I'll text you a picture. Seems that some are "reading for comprehension challenged", and a picture would maybe clear up the misunderstanding. Although on one other thread I was cautioned about safety and legality issues and plagiarism, even after seeing the picture.

For your information and so you all can sleep tonight, I did pass up a nice big doe with two little ones in toe right before the killing of the "fawn" in question.

Dverna, I had a Michigan DNR officer tell me point blank, that a fawn will be the first to winter kill, due to being too short to reach available browse. Recommended me to take a fawn, it would help the herd.

1bluehorse
11-25-2018, 12:55 PM
If one of you guys would be willing to post a picture of my "fawn", pm me your phone # I'll text you a picture. Seems that some are "reading for comprehension challenged", and a picture would maybe clear up the misunderstanding. Although on one other thread I was cautioned about safety and legality issues and plagiarism, even after seeing the picture.

For your information and so you all can sleep tonight, I did pass up a nice big doe with two little ones in toe right before the killing of the "fawn" in question.

Dverna, I had a Michigan DNR tell me point blank, that a fawn will be the first to winter kill, due to being too short to reach available browse. Recommended me to take a fawn, it would help the herd.

Thanks for that information. I have 3 Doe with 5 fawns that have been hanging around the place since the fawns birth (along with several other deer). Now I know it's alright to take a couple of them, (strengthen the herd thing). I mean they (does) can't take care of five of them, right? Fill my freezer up with 40-50lbs of meat, well, part of the top shelf anyway. Kill what you want, you're right, none of my business, but I still don't think much of it anyway.

richhodg66
11-25-2018, 01:09 PM
I proudly culled this "Northern fawn size" spike this morning while haying the cows.
I thought it quite nice of him to expire by the road[emoji3] Made do with the 22-250(again) as I was on the lookout for a particular coyote. 55gr Vmax worked like a big game bullet on this particular deer.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181124/d38dda98fc111e482eeedb9facb3d6d6.jpg

Because of the antlers, that one is at least a year and a half old. Our fawns by early October are significantly larger than that.

It was mentioned in another thread that the farther north you go, the bigger they get. This is true, there is a biological advantage to more body mass where it's colder. Have heard of white tail bucks in Alberta that made 400 pounds, hard to believe, but seems to be true.

richhodg66
11-25-2018, 01:13 PM
I do not shoot fawns or does with fawns. I do not need the meat that badly. But I understand others need meat and shoot anything.

BTW, I am not sure if a fawn has a better chance of surviving northern MI winters with mom but I still could not do it. I have a fawn here that appears to have lost her mom. It lets me get to within 50-60 yards. Cute little thing.

I like to watch and talk to the fawns as well and don't shoot them, but don't assume a holier than though attitude to those who do.

If you don't shoot does, you're a deer herd management problem. Kansas has relaxed a lot of their regs even in the past 20 years I've hunted here. They've only had a deer season since 1965 and have carefully built a very healthy deer population but one thing they won't budge on is the one buck a year rule. If you don't reduce the number of does, your deer herd suffers. Keeping the populations in check and keeping a high buck to doe ratio makes for bigger, healthier deer.

richhodg66
11-25-2018, 01:17 PM

I did in fact kill a deer with a long bow, cedar arrow shaft, etc., years ago. I'm less of a purist now, but if you think it's all just going out and assassinating one when you use a rifle, you apparently haven't ever hunted.

rking22
11-25-2018, 01:22 PM
It's more about how you hunt than what you use to end the hunt. Also spent some time as a trad bow purist, well might still be that way about bows....

dverna
11-25-2018, 03:36 PM
I like to watch and talk to the fawns as well and don't shoot them, but don't assume a holier than though attitude to those who do.

If you don't shoot does, you're a deer herd management problem. Kansas has relaxed a lot of their regs even in the past 20 years I've hunted here. They've only had a deer season since 1965 and have carefully built a very healthy deer population but one thing they won't budge on is the one buck a year rule. If you don't reduce the number of does, your deer herd suffers. Keeping the populations in check and keeping a high buck to doe ratio makes for bigger, healthier deer.

Agree sir!! We try to manage the herd as best we can. The hunt camp I am associated with has about 1/2 a section of land surrounded by state land. Our rules are simple...only one buck per hunter allowed...must be 8 pt or better unless it is a buck that should be culled due to poor genetics, and no limit on does because our buck to doe ratio is 1:8....which is way to high. Part of that management effort is putting in food plots, and we have about a dozen. We have also planted apple trees and are looking at chestnut trees. It is a lot of work but rewarding as well. We have 5 active hunters in the camp and maybe 2-3 guests a year. Guests cannot shoot bucks unless those bucks need to be culled.

This year we have taken a 10pt, 9pt, deformed 7pt and three does so far. I have taken a doe but not taken my buck yet. I will take another doe or two towards the end of the season if I cannot get a buck. We are planning to harvest another 3-4 does this year.

Most in our camp are "trophy hunters" hence the 8pt restriction. I use my venison and give some to family, but the others donate much of their venison to locals who need it. Our camp considers hunting for meat as an unacceptable reason to kill fawns...in part because we give venison away to those who need it. In almost every case around here, those killing fawns are poor hunters and/or poor shots. But that may be a local issue so I try not to be too judgmental when on a forum like this where I do not know the factors affecting the decision others make to take fawns. I know I would certainly kill one if my family was in need!

I was reluctant to join this camp at first. The locals despise "trophy hunters"...see them as rich dudes killing for sport. But as I got to know them and began to understand their desire to manage the deer herd I was swayed. I am their only neighbor, and they have made me an "honorary member" subject to their "rules". I was humbled by their invitation. They have had the camp in their family for 65 years and I am the first "honorary member".

Omega
11-25-2018, 04:09 PM
The way I see it, nobody has the right to judge another on how he hunts. To me, as long as it's legal, I'm ok with it. I like venison, but can afford beef, so while I'm a meat hunter, it's not to feed my family. I have my own self regulated rules, I pass on spots, shy away from evening hunts (I set my own no-shoot time), and won't knowingly break a game law. In my area, I'm allowed 3 doe a day, and 2 bucks for the year, there is a reason for that. It may come a time where I'll take two small doe vs picking the large one in a group, but not yet. I'm probably not helping the management aspect as much as I can, but that's the way I hunt.

Edward
11-25-2018, 07:05 PM

BTW, I am not sure if a fawn has a better chance of surviving northern MI winters with mom but I still could not do it. I have a fawn here that appears to have lost her mom. It lets me get to within 50-60 yards. Cute little thing. When winter comes that doe will kill that fawn for a mouth full of brows ,survival of the fittest is more than a saying it"s life in the wild !

Texas by God
11-25-2018, 07:07 PM
My doe to buck ratio in the freezers is usually two to one. We try to convince the other hunters to take does first, then bucks. But buck or nothing attitudes persist.

dverna
11-25-2018, 10:26 PM
When winter comes that doe will kill that fawn for a mouth full of brows ,survival of the fittest is more than a saying it"s life in the wild !

I could find anything to support your statement that a doe will kill her fawn to survive. Would you, or anyone else, be kind enough to post a reference? Thanks.

Texas by God
11-26-2018, 11:46 PM
Les Staley's "fawn"! Bigger than mine!
Now let's kill some does!
Nice old "55" 94 as well, sir.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181127/24c81f4d43e28c49d98d1a12fa9aa111.jpg

richhodg66
11-27-2018, 03:12 AM
That's a good deer and very nice rifle.

Hickok
11-27-2018, 10:02 AM
They all count when they are in the skillet!

white eagle
11-27-2018, 10:42 AM

I have seen lone fawns get picked up by doe groups
they do well with others its a feminine way of doing things
I have evolved in my hunting as well I think that happens to
some I watched it happen to my Father as he did with his

dverna
11-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Les Staley's "fawn"! Bigger than mine!
Now let's kill some does!
Nice old "55" 94 as well, sir.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181127/24c81f4d43e28c49d98d1a12fa9aa111.jpg

Nice! That rifle is a great gun too. Thanks for posting

Les Staley
11-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Thank you, Texas by God, for posting my picture. I tried, but no joy. Great talking with you last night.

geezer56
11-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Talk about comprehension challenged. The OP was tongue in cheek referring to his ''fawn''. We get 2 pages of discussion, after he seemingly cleared it up a couple of posts into the discussion. Good Lord!

Texas by God
11-27-2018, 11:16 PM
Incomprehension will never prevent Pontification! Back at you, Les for the kind words.

Huntsman
12-01-2018, 12:40 PM
I've taken some small ones. They are pretty good eating....just not too much. All the same...its meat for the freezer. Congrats on getting one...there are many that can't say they've gotten anything for the freezer.

redhawk

My brother and prefer shooting these size deer. "Nipple deer" we call them, makes for a tasty rack of lamb or lamb chop meal with peppermint jelly ;)
Plus they're much easier to drag out of the bush.

Iowa Fox
12-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Veal Chops

a danl
12-01-2018, 05:14 PM
dverna i agree with you, you're a true sportsman

Edward
12-01-2018, 06:51 PM
I could find anything to support your statement that a doe will kill her fawn to survive. Would you, or anyone else, be kind enough to post a reference? Thanks.

I guess the obvious answer was not communicated in my post ,let me try again .Simply put an adult deer in nature does not exhibit any motherly /nurturing instincts unlike (most human mommies) in winter /no food or out of reach brows/food means the doe eats and the offspring starves ! Nope she does not shoot /stab or in most cases (not all) beat them to death but she will be around come spring unlike her babies /no studies needed /Ed

Traffer
12-01-2018, 07:31 PM
"Go, Kill and eat"

am44mag
12-01-2018, 09:19 PM
I did in fact kill a deer with a long bow, cedar arrow shaft, etc., years ago. I'm less of a purist now, but if you think it's all just going out and assassinating one when you use a rifle, you apparently haven't ever hunted.

Tell me about it. I'm having a tough season this year. Made the mistake of passing on a doe opening day because I had just gotten out there and it was a bit small. I really wish I had taken the shot as that's the ONLY deer I've seen, and tomorrow is the last day. It's definitely made me reevaluate how I hunt. There are a ton of deer around here, but dang they're elusive. If it was as easy as dragging a rifle out in the woods and just waiting, I'd be sitting pretty on a pile of meat right now.

richhodg66
12-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Strangely, all the odds were against it. I was on the ground, not in a tree stand which is unusual for me, and it was on the pheasant/quail opening day. I knew I was in a good spot with a lot of intersecting trails and there was a lot of deer activity in mid November and at the time, I used to shoot a bow a lot. One came in almost behind me, very close at dusk and stopped to see what I was. At that time in my life I was bow fishing a lot and did so instinctively so it was actually a pretty easy shot, drew and turned in one motion and that Zwickey broadhead center punched her heart. I had lost a small buck a year before and had attributed part of the problem to going after him to soon, something I deduced from the blood trail, had I let him lie longer, I'd have probably recovered him. I wasn't going to make that mistake this time, so stood right there, didn't even move my feet for a solid 45 minutes and when I did, made a very long, circuitous route back to the truck 180 degrees away from the direction she went. Drove home, put on some good boots and got a big flashlight and came back, all that was probably unnecessary, in that case, a .30-06 wouldn't have killed her any faster.

Archery is cool, but I don't make the time to shoot enough to do it any more and kind of wonder if I have the upper body strength to draw a 60 lb long bow enough for meaningful practice anymore, so I started using a cross bow so I could hunt in November. I feel like I'm cheating sometimes and maybe I'll get back to the real bows again, I know a lot more about deer and deer hunting now than I knew then and would probably do better now.

429421Cowboy
12-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Having had enough wildlife bio classes in my natural resources degree, I can agree that killing a fawn has almost no effect on herd recruitment. (I did read and understand that the OP did not shoot a fawn). The odds are very high (80+%) that any fan you see wasnt going to make it to see next season anyways, same with shooting young of the year game birds (even poorer odds!). We have worked for ranches in Texas that required shooting fawns, then does before you could shoot a buck. I dont purposely try and shoot fawns, but it has happened to me once and I can say it was tasty! Same as shooting calf elk, some guys get really upset when they do it on accident, I personally couldnt be happier with the calves we have shot over the years!