PDA

View Full Version : Please make sure of your target

Handloader109
11-14-2018, 08:49 AM
Yeah, it happens numerous times wherever we hunt. Woman taking pictures in rural area was shot and killed by hunter who thought she was a deer. Nw Arkansas but that really doesn't matter.

Guys, and gals, make sure it is a four legged animal you are shooting.

And if you dont have a clear view and shot, just wait. Better to pass up what you think is a deer than hurt or kill someone. If you can't see the entire deer, then you dont have a good shot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

LUCKYDAWG13
11-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Yes this is the one that just sticks in my head https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4796252&page=1

ericandelaine1975
11-14-2018, 09:55 AM
I know that's bad. And yes the hunter should make sure of his or her target. However was the person shot on public or private land? If it was public she had every right to be there. If its was private no she did not. Therefore you can't totally blame the hunter. Honestly the county or state should make a law prohibiting non hunters from just walking around during hunting season or they should be required to wear blaze orange like is required by my state while hunting or be fined. So in my opinion I can't completely blame the hunter.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Chainsaw.
11-14-2018, 10:05 AM
I disagree. If I want to walk around the woods during hunting season I have every right and di so all the time. I use my head but I do so. That hunter is completely in the wrong, you don’t shoot what you are not sure of, period. Short of her wearing a brown fuzzy jacket and some antlers on her head that all his (assuming) fault. When Im huntin my rifle doesn’t even get pointed at something until Im DAM sure its a game animal.

What a travesty.

35isit
11-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Yes this is the one that just sticks in my head https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4796252&page=1

The man in the first article should have never separated from his eight year old son. The woman in the first post should not be in the woods where hunters are during a deer season. My son and I were sitting in our stand probably 10-14 years ago. Across a creek on someone else's property which we didn't have permission to hunt on. I had permission to be on the land I was on. She was walking between trees walking a brown dog wearing Carhart coveralls. At first glance the two of them looked like a deer. Of course I couldn't shoot, but a slob hunter as mentioned in the first post may have.

bob208
11-14-2018, 10:08 AM
this cuts both ways did she have on her orange ? In pa. you have to have on orange if you are in the woods during hunting season. then again I know some that shoot at anything and don't know or care what is behind the target. around here I see normal stable people turn into real idiots when deer season comes in. then revert back to normal rational people for the next 49 weeks. then the week of thanksgiving the fever starts. they shoot up the ranes at the gun clubs. buy up all the ammo in town. only good thing is brass picking is real good at the club.

Land Owner
11-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Some folks do not belong in the woods with a firearm. There are STILL slob hunters in the woods that take SOUND SHOTS. "I heard a sound and shot at it." What type of ETHIC do you call that?

No rifleman or hand gunner should point their weapon at something they do not intend to obliterate ON PURPOSE. There is NO ACCIDENT in that. The result of point the gun and pulling the trigger lies 110% with the shooter! Bad shoot. Now face the consequences.

Do I have a word of advice for the general public? Yes, and it is during hunting season, while you have every right to be there, it is BEST and for your own safety that you stay OUT of the woods. You won't know who is hunting there and that could mean the tragic LOSS OF YOUR LIFE.

FISH4BUGS
11-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Therefore you can't totally blame the hunter.

REALLY?
Man, I am sorry......there is NO excuse for "...mistaking her for a deer".....NONE WHATSOEVER!

Love Life
11-14-2018, 10:32 AM
I’ve hunted people and deer. Neither one can be confused for the other. Throw that sorry hunter in jail for the long haul.

Preacher Jim
11-14-2018, 10:37 AM
My grandfather always paints the word "Cow" on all his stock.

Hossfly
11-14-2018, 10:37 AM
We like to ride horses, year round. I am an avid deer hunter also, wife not so much. When we ride during open season we only ride on the road side and not thru woods, and we wear hunters orange Evan the horses wear orange, tho I don’t believe they care that much. Hardly ever see hunters, except for in trucks pulling 4 wheelers, usually after hunt is over and toting deer. Lots of shooting, I’m happy when season opens, and happy when it closes so i can shoot more. 4 month season with archery till end of January.

Handloader109
11-14-2018, 11:04 AM
So far the county hasn't filed any charges against the man. It hasn't been disclosed whether she was on public or private land, but around here, there is not a lot of public lands that allows hunting.
TV shows an abandoned house by the road. I'm assuming she was photographing that, but we'll not probably know for sure. Don't know how far off road she was. NO, there really isn't any excuse for shooting what you can't determine identity. NONE. Wearing Orange when you aren't hunting? maybe a good idea, but NORMAL folks don't. Heck there are HUNTERS that don't wear orange knowing there are other guys with guns in the woods.

Just be safe and KNOW your target. In our current climate, you will probably be in jail for manslaughter otherwise.

lefty o
11-14-2018, 11:19 AM
you pull the trigger, you are responsible for where the bullet goes. it is that simple. if a person is not smart enough to tell a person from an animal, they have no business in the woods with a gun.

Kraschenbirn
11-14-2018, 11:21 AM
A lot of nitwits out there and too many have guns. I've been shot at - on posted, private property - by a hunter who came in "over the fence." Fortunately (for me), his marksmanship wasn't any better than his reading skills. During shotgun season last year, we had a guy wander out of the timber behind the berms on our club range; said he had no idea he was on private property...even though there's a county highway, a flowing creek, and, at least, two fences (one posted "Firing Range Boundary. Do Not Cross" every 50 feet) between the range and the public hunting area 3/4 mile down the road. Earlier this fall, I went out with one of the wife's cousins to help him clear a couple deer blinds off a piece of family property adjacent to another state hunting area. Land has been in family for well over 100 years, NEVER opened to outsiders, and the half-mile lane down to the untillable bottomland along Apple River is gated and posted. Like I said, too many nitwits...

Bill

wgr
11-14-2018, 12:45 PM
this cuts both ways did she have on her orange ? In pa. you have to have on orange if you are in the woods during hunting season. then again I know some that shoot at anything and don't know or care what is behind the target. around here I see normal stable people turn into real idiots when deer season comes in. then revert back to normal rational people for the next 49 weeks. then the week of thanksgiving the fever starts. they shoot up the ranes at the gun clubs. buy up all the ammo in town. only good thing is brass picking is real good at the club.+1 on the one weekend hunters. some years I do.nt go out on opening weekend on my own place

DocSavage
11-14-2018, 12:50 PM
We here in Ma had a similar incident,woman walking her dogs was shot by a hunter who was a state trooper. Sorry folks I agree with the can't identify target don't take the shot. Also most common folk are unaware about wearing hunter orange while on the woods during deer season or when deer season starts or stops

Hannibal
11-14-2018, 01:26 PM
When you fire a weapon, you are entirely responsible for the consequences of the firing.

Shooting something and claiming you thought it was a game animal is inexcusable.
My sig line refers to conquering challenges in life. NOT the discharge of weapons.

wgr
11-14-2018, 01:42 PM
I have also heard more than one guy say I got off a sound shot most left me mad

Grmps
11-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Knowing what is behind your target is also very important.

Many use loads and boolits that will pass through the target and "go in its merry way" and occasionally (I'm not saying any of you would) they miss the target,

white eagle
11-14-2018, 03:50 PM
once you pull the trigger you own the out come
there is no excuse for not knowing what you are shooting at
period
just because someone is a police officer does not make them a hunter

9.3X62AL
11-14-2018, 04:01 PM
I’ve hunted people and deer. Neither one can be confused for the other. Throw that sorry hunter in jail for the long haul.

Yessir. Same traffic.

And then you have Inyo National Forest Supervisors that organize "Hike-In Weekends" for the opening weekends of the X-Zone deer hunts in California's Sierra Nevada east slope. I don't know if this massive brain fart is still in effect, but it was for much of the time I lived in Ridgecrest at the Sierra's south end. You have to wonder at the reckless stupidity of such public policy--was this done in some sorry attempt to cause the "poor deer" to flee the combined incursion of hikers and deer hunters (thereby reducing kill rates), or was the intent to fill the back-country with people-density to enhance the percentages of an accidental shooting (to justify closures and prohibitions). Assuming good faith on the part of California's way-left shotcaller cadre is always a mistake.

OldBearHair
11-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Years I spent at the New Mexico Boys Ranch teaching Hunter Safety classes before hunting seasons. We worked there 29 years. It is in the book!! Always be sure of your target and what is behind it. The class did not end ever! We taught the kids all year long doing live fire in small groups of five young men a few times each year. We used only two single shot rifles. We explained every situation that we could think of that was behind the target and what it really means to be sure of your target. We taught ethics by describing situations of what you would do when no one was watching. You know how to act when you are with your peers, so how do you act when alone? Do you act the same? Then if you don't break a rule when alone, you have learned to be ethical. The boys really paid attention to this. Before we came to the BR, there was a lot of stealing from each other in the building with sixteen boys. We noticed the stealing diminished after the ethics teaching. We had a film that was shown named "This little bullet" and it mainly talked about personal responsibilty of identifying the target and no, you cannot change anything after the trigger is pulled. You are the one that is responsible.......We need to have a thread about how many have experienced someone shooting at a deer on top of a ridge with the bullets flying just overhead whining then boom boom or bullets start passing by your head while still hunting along a creek.

redhawk0
11-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Another rule of thumb to follow is legal start/stop times. If I can't see color...its not legal yet. The eyes switch from using rods in the low light times where you can only perceive black/gray/white....then when light is strengthened the cones come into play and have a broad spectrum of wavelengths of light that can be detected....hence seeing in color.

Until it's light enough to see color...DON'T shoot.

redhawk

Hickory
11-14-2018, 05:26 PM

Not only this, but he should be made to pay for the funeral and pay the family $20,000 for the loss of a loved one.

Rockwell
11-14-2018, 05:29 PM
A lot of nitwits out there and too many have guns.

And cars, and chainsaws, and grand pianos...

DocSavage
11-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Actually such an incident will cost a whole lot more than 20 K,wrong full death suit could have you eating ramen noodles for a very long time.

sparky45
11-14-2018, 05:50 PM
I disagree. If I want to walk around the woods during hunting season I have every right and di so all the time. I use my head but I do so. That hunter is completely in the wrong, you don’t shoot what you are not sure of, period. Short of her wearing a brown fuzzy jacket and some antlers on her head that all his (assuming) fault. When Im huntin my rifle doesn’t even get pointed at something until Im DAM sure its a game animal.

What a travesty.

You'd be more likely than not to wind up injured around here. I don't go into the woods around here without hunter orange and then only to check on my property. I live in a rural area and leased land is mostly for out of state hunters. You are also right, you do have the right to walk around in the woods during hunting season, but you also are increasing your odds of personal harm. Not so much from being shot, but from a angry hunter that paid $5000 + for a hunting spot and you just ruined his entire trip. Good luck to you.

GregLaROCHE
11-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately, the world is getting smaller and smaller and everyone is competing for the use of wilderness areas. Public and private. People are human and make mistakes. It seems we are more prone to do so when charged with adrenaline, a throw back to or primal beginnings when we needed it to survive.

Both sides need to do the most possible to reduce the risk. I am all for blaze orange clothing. Especially hats too. Maybe hikers could wear bells. Maybe not popular with hunters.

And most of all in the morning, as if saying a prayer, we should recite all the do’s and don’ts associated with responsable hunting with our fellow hunters or to ourselves if we hunt alone.

Handloader109
01-24-2019, 08:45 AM
I posted this way back in November..
Charges filed yesterday against the man (hunter) that killed the woman.

Seems they drug tested him and he was positive for methamphetamine AND marijuana. Manslaughter
Don't do illegal drugs and hunt.

Sig556r
01-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Safety 101: you're even supposed to be aware of what's beyond your target, so no excuse whatsoever for mistaken target...doesn't matter if they're not supposed to be there...don't shoot without being 100% certain of what you're about to kill...

mattw
01-24-2019, 10:07 AM
My take, both parties were at fault. In Illinois we have a hunter harassment law. I live around 3 miles from where the problem began... We have a small county park near us that held hundreds of deer, many years ago the state tried to open it to hunters because the herd was being genetically affected by having an almost closed breeding community. There were some really funny looking deer after many generations. The day of the season a bunch of university students, mainly girls decided that they should not be hunted and took to the woods to disrupt the hunt. Pictures were taken of girls peeing on trees, deer trails and walking around beating buckets and drums. Hygiene products were changed and left on deer trails and hunters were yelled at by stationary people.

Now if this becomes a problem the state resorts to shooting deer with rifles to thin herds and the meet is wasted in most cases. I think our law states you must wear orange and must have a valid hunting license to be in the woods during season. It also carries a pretty hefty fine if you are found guilty of harassment.

But, I will not shoot a target without positive ID and I have raised my daughters to think about what is behind that target and the affect that elevation has on their shot placement. These are some things that we have discussed at great lengths behind a pistol, rifle or slug gun.

lefty o
01-24-2019, 11:44 AM
I posted this way back in November..
Charges filed yesterday against the man (hunter) that killed the woman.

Seems they drug tested him and he was positive for methamphetamine AND marijuana. Manslaughter
Don't do illegal drugs and hunt.

on drugs to boot, just hang him from the nearest tree!

rockrat
01-24-2019, 12:03 PM
When I was alot younger, a friend and I were out hunting prairie dogs on a piece of property we had permission to hunt. Parked my old Suburban (blue and grey) in the field and started to try our luck.

road bisecting the property. We were having lunch by the truck when the bullets started whizzing by. couple guys on the county road were shooting from the road, at the prairie dogs between them and my truck. Let them know in our own way that they shouldn't do that. don't think they even looked past where they were shooting to see where the bullets might be going, and the fellow shooting his 30 carbine ,jumped back in their car and took off down the road.

Handloader109
01-24-2019, 12:04 PM
My take, both parties were at fault. In Illinois we have a hunter harassment law. I live around 3 miles from where the problem began... We have a small county park near us that held hundreds of deer, many years ago the state tried to open it to hunters because the herd was being genetically affected by having an almost closed breeding community. There were some really funny looking deer after many generations. The day of the season a bunch of university students, mainly girls decided that they should not be hunted and took to the woods to disrupt the hunt. Pictures were taken of girls peeing on trees, deer trails and walking around beating buckets and drums. Hygiene products were changed and left on deer trails and hunters were yelled at by stationary people.

Now if this becomes a problem the state resorts to shooting deer with rifles to thin herds and the meet is wasted in most cases. I think our law states you must wear orange and must have a valid hunting license to be in the woods during season. It also carries a pretty hefty fine if you are found guilty of harassment.

But, I will not shoot a target without positive ID and I have raised my daughters to think about what is behind that target and the affect that elevation has on their shot placement. These are some things that we have discussed at great lengths behind a pistol, rifle or slug gun.Well, she was taking pictures of a dilapidated house just off the road. Wasn't wandering aimlessly in the woods. Nuff said

Geezer in NH
01-24-2019, 12:41 PM
REALLY?
Man, I am sorry......there is NO excuse for "...mistaking her for a deer".....NONE WHATSOEVER!

Absolutely agree with FISH4BUGS. NO EXCUSE WHATEVER

Thundarstick
01-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Absolutely agree with FISH4BUGS. NO EXCUSE WHATEVER

And I can't believe the number on here who would assign any blame to the woman that was shot! I hunt, but I don't duck hunt and I couldn't tell you when duck season opens and closes, and you think a non- hunter should know is deer season and wear orange? Please!

country gent
01-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Most states laws requarding discharge of a firearm wether target shooting hunting or self defense read: You are responsible for the projectile until it has expanded all its energy. Not hit the intended target or backstop. until it is literally on/in the ground not moving. Hunters and shooters not only need to be aware of the target and have it identified but also whats beyond it.

JBinMN
01-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Most states laws requarding discharge of a firearm wether target shooting hunting or self defense read: You are responsible for the projectile until it has expanded all its energy. Not hit the intended target or backstop. until it is literally on/in the ground not moving. Hunters and shooters not only need to be aware of the target and have it identified but also whats beyond it.

I agree. The primary rules listed below are from the MN. hunter-ed.com site. Even kids, as well as adults are taught these 4 primary rules & need to know them before passing the course to go hunt.

The Four Primary Rules of Firearm Safety:

1) Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

2)Always keep the muzzle in a safe direction

3)Be sure of your target and beyond.

4)Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

Source:https://www.hunter-ed.com/minnesota/studyGuide/Introduction-to-Firearm-Safety/201024_700103139/

I do not blame the woman. I blame the hunter.

It would have been prudent for her to wear bright colors &/or orange while out hunting, but it is still the hunters responsibility to know(Identify) the target & what is beyond before firing a shot.

There are instances where someone hunting turkey shot someone else thinking they were a turkey because they were wearing red ( like a red bandana) & the hunter shot because they "thought" it was "wattle" of the turkey. A "wattle" is the part of the turkey below the neck that engorges with blood & is red colored.

Once again, Hunter mistake & fault.

IMO...Those who are blaming the woman need to re-consider their thinking on who is responsible when one is shooting something.

It is the one squeezing the trigger who is responsible for where the projectiles go & what it/they might hit. Same with a bow or a crossbow & even a slingshot.

Last thought... If some kid in your neighborhood was target shooting at a can when you drive up & park your car in line of fire & he misses he can & hits your car.

Is it YOUR fault for it?

Think about it... please.

{Yes, accidents of all sorts happen, but each of us should be responsible that we are NOT the CAUSE of an accident, if we can. Had that hunter followed the rule(s), this woman may not have been shot...}

wv109323
01-26-2019, 12:09 AM
This one will make you almost punk thinking about it. A father and son were bow hunting for deer. The son left camp first and got in his tree stand before daylight. Some time later the father was walking to his location to hunt. The son mistook his father for a deer and shot his father before daylight. As it became daylight the son discovered his mistake. His father did die and the son was not charged.
This happened in WV about 35 years ago. I was squirrel hunting in the area.

ghh3rd
01-26-2019, 01:30 AM
Once I encountered an idiot riding a mountain bike in the woods in public land during hunting season. He said he didn’t like people hunting ... seemed to be riding around to disrupt it. No orange on, had woods colored clothes. Told him he would probably make a fine trophy for some hunter with poor eyesight.