PDA

View Full Version : Where to reload?

ThomR
11-13-2018, 10:12 PM
My wife and I recently relocated to Reno. We are staying in a rather small apartment and I honestly don't have anywhere to keep my reloading stuff. For now all of my reloading stuff is in the back of my SUV.

We park our car in a 9 level parking garage, the top level is blocked off and there are only a couple vehicles on the 8th floor. I'm thinking about buying a small work bench that would easily fit in the back of said SUV and driving up to the 8th floor when I want to reload.

I could keep casting boolits the old fashioned way with a ladle, but I don't believe I could powder coat. I would just have to do the 45/45/10 tumble lube method.

I need to also figure out a way to clean my brass. I do have a tumbler, but that would drive my neighbors nuts, and I don't want to try to run it off of the power outlet in the back of my car.

The Carson Rifle and Pistol Club hosts IDPA matches twice a month and I would like to get involved with them. As such I don't want to buy ammo for the matches if I don't have to. I bought a box of 40S&W today from wallyworld and cringed the whole time.

richhodg66
11-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Lee loader and kitchen table?

I'd go crazy if I had to live long in an apartment. Good luck, hope you figure something out.

am44mag
11-13-2018, 10:23 PM
My wife and I recently relocated to Reno. We are staying in a rather small apartment and I honestly don't have anywhere to keep my reloading stuff. For now all of my reloading stuff is in the back of my SUV.

We park our car in a 9 level parking garage, the top level is blocked off and there are only a couple vehicles on the 8th floor. I'm thinking about buying a small work bench that would easily fit in the back of said SUV and driving up to the 8th floor when I want to reload.

I could keep casting boolits the old fashioned way with a ladle, but I don't believe I could powder coat. I would just have to do the 45/45/10 tumble lube method.

I need to also figure out a way to clean my brass. I do have a tumbler, but that would drive my neighbors nuts, and I don't want to try to run it off of the power outlet in the back of my car.

The Carson Rifle and Pistol Club hosts IDPA matches twice a month and I would like to get involved with them. As such I don't want to buy ammo for the matches if I don't have to. I bought a box of 40S&W today from wallyworld and cringed the whole time.

The case cleaning issue could be fixed with an ultrasonic cleaner. Then again, I don't see cleaning as an absolute necessity. I like the look of clean brass, but I can't recall ever having an accuracy or reliability issue from dirty brass. I reloaded for years before I started cleaning my brass. As for actually reloading, I know of a lot of people that just do it in their kitchen or living room. I believe they clamp the press to a table, or have a little cart that they can move around that they attach everything to.

The casting is the tough one to figure out. Do you have a patio or any kind of private outdoor area? The parking garage solution might be the best one depending on your situation. You might get a few odd looks though. The nice thing is, you could probably dedicate a day or two to casting and be set for months.

ThomR
11-13-2018, 10:34 PM
The case cleaning issue could be fixed with an ultrasonic cleaner. Then again, I don't see cleaning as an absolute necessity. I like the look of clean brass, but I can't recall ever having an accuracy or reliability issue from dirty brass. I reloaded for years before I started cleaning my brass. As for actually reloading, I know of a lot of people that just do it in their kitchen or living room. I believe they clamp the press to a table, or have a little cart that they can move around that they attach everything to.

The casting is the tough one to figure out. Do you have a patio or any kind of private outdoor area? The parking garage solution might be the best one depending on your situation. You might get a few odd looks though. The nice thing is, you could probably dedicate a day or two to casting and be set for months.

I went a long time without cleaning cases as well. The first time I cleaned brass was with a small plastic tub, some water, and dish soap. I put the lid on and shook it around for a few minutes. The only problem with that is drying the cases.

I do not have a patio, balcony, or any private outdoor area.

Maybe I can make a name for myself in the IDPA world and get an ammo sponsor.

Jake McCracken
11-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Is this apartment a permanent thing or just temporary?

If it's temporart I'd talk to some of the people at the club you're interested in. Im sure someone there has some space and an outlet to let you cast and load up some.

Maybe the club even has some space for you to use? I know our club and even a few guys from there would be glad to help someone out in a case like yours. Especially if there wasnt a cost involved...

But if its a permanent thing, you may want to invest in a shed a generator and a small piece of property. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rancher1913
11-13-2018, 11:00 PM
rent a storage locker and set up in there, get one with a light and a outlet. could probably do casting and powder coating out front of the locker on a nice day

ThomR
11-13-2018, 11:18 PM
Is this apartment a permanent thing or just temporary?

If it's temporart I'd talk to some of the people at the club you're interested in. Im sure someone there has some space and an outlet to let you cast and load up some.

Maybe the club even has some space for you to use? I know our club and even a few guys from there would be glad to help someone out in a case like yours. Especially if there wasnt a cost involved...

But if its a permanent thing, you may want to invest in a shed a generator and a small piece of property. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll talk to some of the people at the range next weekend. Maybe I could trade one of them some lead for the use of their shed.

JBinMN
11-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Hopefully a member here who lives near or in Reno will see this & you not only can make a new handloading buddy in person, but maybe he/she can also help out until you find a more permanent solution to your situation.
:)

G'Luck!
:)

reddog81
11-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Anchor the press to a wooden board that can be clamped to your kitchen table.

Brass will dry out in a day or two depending on humidity levels. I just rinse mine off and let it sit on a towel in my basement. If I need to ensure that it's dry in a day I place it next to an air register. If cases become embedded inside other cases it takes a long time for them to dry out.

Walks
11-13-2018, 11:56 PM
Would you really want to cast & load right out in front of a storage locker. Who knows what type of people would walk by, watch what you're doing. Maybe call the Cops or wonder how to break into your locker.

Hick
11-13-2018, 11:59 PM
I bought a Walmart "desk" (the kind you put together) that is 36" wide and put it in the corner of a room and bolted a piece of 2 x 12 wood on top. It easily holds my powder measure, scale, RCBS press, Lyman 450 lube sizer and boxes of dies. That's my whole reloading room. I store the components on a shelf in a closet.

WarEagleEd
11-14-2018, 12:34 AM
ThomR,

I don't know what press you use, but Lee makes a small footprint, three-legged reloading stand as does Frankford Arsenal, though it has a larger footprint (but more horizontal space) and uses ironing board-type legs. The Lee runs about $110 and the FA about $150. You can find them here (https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=reloading+stand&userItemsPerPage=48). You could mount your presses to boards and clamp them to something like a Black & Decker Workmate (https://www.amazon.com/DECKER-WM425-Portable-Project-Center/dp/B00PTX62Q4/ref=dp_ob_title_hi). Skimming over the reviews on Amazon it appears that "they don't make 'em like they used to," but you might find a nice used one at a yard sale or a pawn shop.

Just my $0.02

Ed

ThomR
11-14-2018, 01:12 AM
I'm thinking about buying one of these and bolting a 2x12 to it and attaching my reloading equipment to it.

Walks
11-14-2018, 02:57 AM
No they sure don't make them like they used too.

I saw one at the True Value. I could lift it off the ground with two fingers of my bad hand.

The one I bought when they came out in 1976 is built like a tank and still tough enough for an elephant to dance a jig on.
That new one; I'd be afraid to set a paper plate on. Looks like it made out of tinfoil.

Got a friend using that Frankford arsenal stand with a RockChucker for 15+yrs. Works great.

rancher1913
11-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Would you really want to cast & load right out in front of a storage locker. Who knows what type of people would walk by, watch what you're doing. Maybe call the Cops or wonder how to break into your locker.

people live in them, keep the door closed and its no different than your house. desperate times call for desperate measures :cbpour:

flyingmonkey35
11-14-2018, 07:31 AM
You could also invest in a small motor home or trailer. Something you could park in the garage.

And turn it into a mobile workshop.

Or look for a small club that has a space you can use.

I wish ya luck.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

ThomR
11-14-2018, 01:52 PM
I can't park a trailer in the parking garage.
I just wish I had a truck so I could mount the reloading press to the tailgate.
If I manage to make this work out in the parking garage I'm probably going to buy an inexpensive progressive press. It would be nice to be able to sit down at the press for an hour and load enough ammo for a month.

MOA
11-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Well, Reno being what Reno is, I don't think I would do anything outside where anyone could see what I was doing or what equipment I had.......oh, this guy is reloading......oh, this guy must have guns, I wonder how many.........I'd be doing what I be doing behind closed doors and closed curtains, until I had me a place out of town where my neighbor is at least two lots away. Most storage units now if you read the lease prohibit liquid and propane fuels or any thing flamable from being stored along with guns and no doubt reloading primers and powders.

ThomR
11-14-2018, 02:31 PM
I might end up taking my reloading setup to the gun range and reload there. Less chance of someone freaking out.

bob208
11-14-2018, 04:00 PM
I lived in 2 apartments both I set up my loading bench in the corner.

gwpercle
11-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Get your self a Lee Hand Press , with it and your regular dies you can reload at a desk , kitchen table , dining room table , sitting in an easy chair , on the bed and at your desk at work. I know because I've reloded in all of these places with a hand press !
I use a scoop to dispense powder .
I can put everything in a gym bag and do a lot of reloading at my office desk. Take it anywhere you want .

The little Lee Hand Press is a nifty tool....you aren't tied to some bench and it takes up little room.
I reload all my handgun and 30-30 rifle ammo with one now .
I found the first one so handy...I bought a second . They are perfect for apartment dwellers and no pounding with a mallet like a Classic Loader.
Gary

Mal Paso
11-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you want to keep the wife. Hmmm. Find some classy vintage tools and a furniture quality bench and put it in the Livingroom. Mine is front and center until the shop is finished but I don't have anyone second guessing my decorating..

knifemaker
11-14-2018, 08:15 PM
As for the casting part. You are next door to X-Treme bullets, about a 20 minute drive from Reno where you could buy plated or cast lead bullets at a good price. Everytime the wife and I drive to Reno for a weekend, I drive over to X-Treme bullets and load up with plated bullets that I might need.

Well that is out, I just checked X-Tremes web site and they no longer allow drive up-pick up bullets at their Carson City plant. All bullets are shipped.

Went2kck
11-14-2018, 08:34 PM
Get a lee hand loading press. I used one for starters and still do use it on occasion. Never had a issue with it, worked really good to boot. Nothing to bolt down, just place it back in box until next time.

country gent
11-14-2018, 08:39 PM
I have thought about a small enclosed trailer for several uses. I is I would put a bench across the front end for loading at the range along with some tools for repairs and adjustments. It would allow me to haul my all terrain chair easier and out of sight. I could make racks for equipment and gear going to the range. Everything would be inside and lockable this way so if we wanted to stop and eat or shop it wouldn't be as big a problem. At matches it would give me a place to clean and odds and ends. Carried even farther a small air conditioner and heater for comfort.

jsizemore
11-14-2018, 08:51 PM
A Lortone 3A rock tumbler is really quiet. Unless your standing beside it you won't hear it. I tumble 50 45acp cases in about 2-3 hours. My portable shooting bench is 2.5'x4' and has folding metal legs I scavenged. The top is a doubled piece of 3/4" plywood. I cast off it all the time. I also bolt or clamp my reloading gear to it so I can do so at the range. Got a piece of 5/4 decking board bolted to the press and 2 C clamps hold it to the bench. I use an RCBS hand prime tool. Rifle or pistol powder measures clamp to bench. I have a folding chair to complete the setup. Bench will fit in the trunk of a full size car with all the other gear. If you have a balcony or patio you can be setup in 5 minutes with practice. I can setup in a motel room, pasture or field and parking lot at the range. Ammo cans hold shooting gear and reloading components. Congrats on your move.

sigep1764
11-14-2018, 09:29 PM
I currently live in an apartment and have a Lyman single stage, a Star lubesizer, and a Dillon 550c mounted on it. It is a triangle top bench that is less than 3 feet wide. As long as you only do 3 or 4 calibers, all ancillary equipment can be stored underneath in ammo cans.

May I also suggest a 310 Tong Tool? I love mine and can load just as fast as on my single stage press.

ThomR
11-14-2018, 10:07 PM

RogerDat
11-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Harbor Freight has a few different grinder stands that some have used as a reloading bench
Notice the stands off to the side for $32.99 and $35.99 as alternatives. The $32.99 one could easily slip into a closet. Board mounted for a surface and maybe mount press on board that bolts to surface using wing nuts. https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-bench-grinder-pedestal-68321.html This one is heavy and a bit more expensive.

Thing to bear in mind is the stands would probably continue to be of use even after you get a larger place.

The Lee hand press is ok too, little more work to full length size some brass than a turret or single stage press. Might be a good companion to a Lee Turret or single stage O press. I like the quick change turret disks so dies remain set up. Like the tube to collect primers. Like the ability to remove the index rod and use as a single stage. Useful if you need to size brass and use a trim die. The single stage press can do it all just not always as fast. Again you will find a use for an "extra" single stage press even if you one day buy a progressive. Both the Lee Turret and an O press are not that much over $100 and they should serve for a lifetime.

Lee makes a plate and bracket to mount a press. and Pat Marlins makes a rock dock for the same purpose. Possible store bought alternatives to 4 bolts and wing nuts or a few clamps to hold the press on a stand or table.

Casting - find someone through the forum here. Find someone through the local range or club. Come by spend a day casting. Fill a couple of ammo boxes with cast and you are good for a while. If you cast something they can use to reload with so much the better. Maybe they will be good with some shake n bake powder coating in a toaster oven if it gives them some "pretty" bullets to show off.

+1 on a rock tumbler as a low noise way to clean brass once it needs cleaning.

ThomR
11-14-2018, 11:09 PM
I'm going to stop by harbor freight tomorrow and pick up a small grinder stand that will fit in the back of my Jeep. As long as I can mount my Lee single stage press and powder thrower I'll be able to reload.
I'm probably going to do my reloading at the range or off in the desert somewhere. I noticed some security cameras in the parking garage, and actually had a run-in with a security officer. Apparently the roof is off limits because they have had people try to jump off before.

FISH4BUGS
11-15-2018, 06:53 AM
I lived in a 550 sf condo downtown and had a cabinet made that sat in the corner of my one and only bedroom. It had a Dillon 550 and a Star sizer mounted on it. I kept bullets and primers and dies, etc. in the cabinet, powder in the closet.
Cramped? You bet. But it worked.

Mr_Sheesh
11-15-2018, 07:29 AM
My main two presses are on a Harbor Freight grinder stand in the Kitchen. I do some things with one or the other Lee Hand Presses (have 2) in the bedroom, though. It semi works for now - Planning to do some remodeling then move everything into a bedroom corner. Not there yet though.

As a "cheat" you could attach a Lee Hand Press to the wall or something to keep it in one place, though TRUST ME, if you want to try to do heavy case forming like swaging brass in a serious way, you WANT a backup hand press as you likely will break it eventually. So I do that on the Rockchucker. Lee O ring press for depriming and some seating etc. as it'll do that easily (so I can do 2 things at once, when needed.)

Need to get more of my goodies back and put the RL550B onto that grinder stand some day :)

skeettx
11-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Military footlocker, and bolts and wing nuts for the press

Love Life
11-15-2018, 08:55 AM
I used a Buchanan hand press and loaded when I got the chance. An hour here, and hour there, etc. I batch processed the brass so by the time I got to the loading part it was just adding powder and bullet. Doing it this way I was able to comfortably load a couple hundred rds per week.

bob208
11-15-2018, 10:18 AM
a collapsible b & d work mate works good too. or you could use a lyman 310 hand tool.

JSnover
11-15-2018, 10:20 AM
My setup is a wooden deck running across two rollaway toolboxes. Good storage inside and underneath, between the boxes, enough space on top for two presses and two powder measures plus related stuff. Something like that might work for you, depending on how much space your wife allows and whether or not you have kids.
It works for my one bedroom apartment.
For casting, I pack my stuff up and go camping for a weekend once in a while. Haven't been rained out yet...

bedbugbilly
11-15-2018, 11:23 AM
If someone thinks it's a bad idea to reload and cast outside of a storage locker - what is it going to look like reloading in a parking garage? Who owns the garage and if it is city owned, what are the restrictions on doing something like that in the garage - I can't believe it wouldn't raise eyebrows.

To me, a small storage unit would probably be more ideal - get a small one with electricity and a light - set up a bench and lower the door most of the way when you're working in it. Of course, what are the temperatures in Reno? I doubt you'd want to reload in a locker that is hot and uncomfortable. Perhaps a climate controlled unit?

TaylorS
11-15-2018, 12:06 PM
If the parking garage is a part of the apartment complex you might be able to build a Murphy shop might check with the hoa or w/e it is. When my dad lived in SLC he was able to do one of these in his parking spot. Basically a big double door cabinet that opened up and your tables and benches folded down had a pad lock on it and all. He also had a Tesla and they put a charging station and some outlets for him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Sheesh
11-15-2018, 12:16 PM
I have seen people put a curtain up on their storage unit, something that blocks curious (or OVERLY curious) passers-by from snooping. The sounds of loading might tell some what you're doing though, of course. A lot can be done with a grinder stand set up so you can swap the tools on top of it as needed, from a 550 or 650 Dillon progressive to an O Ring press to whatever else you need on there.

Jniedbalski
11-15-2018, 04:10 PM
I load in my living room. I got a old school desk. The type you flip the flat top up and have storage under it. It looks like a upside down tub on Legs with a flat melomite or some kind of hard plastic . I drilled holes for my press on the right side and holes on the left for my lee powder measure. It only takes me less than two minutes to bolt the lee press to the right edge and the measure on the left. When ism done I un bolt the press and measure and store it in the desk with all my reloading stuff. I leave it next to the couch and the kids still use it for home work. They just pull it out and put it in front of the couch. This set up works really good.

clum553946
11-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Whichever stand you go with, you might want to consider Inline Fabrication’s quick change mount. You buy the plates that fit your reloading tools and are a snap to change on the mount. It’s a great system and will also serve you well when you end up with a more permanent reloading situation. I have one mounted on the Frankford Arsenal portable table at my vacation home and two mounted on my large bench at home so I can take tools and use them at both locations.

Jniedbalski
11-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Wanted to say a up right tub with legs flat top school desk . Before that I used my lee hand press and screwed my powder measure to a heavy checker board I made in high school. I put the checker board on the Coffey table up side down then screwed the measure to it. I sat on the couch with the Coffey table in front of me . After I was done I put all my reloading stuff back in ammo boxes then stored it in my closet.

Down South
11-15-2018, 05:25 PM
When I was staying in my RV in Houston, "8.5 yrs". I had a metal picnic table outside and a gazebo covering it. I had built wood mounting brackets for my presses that I used a couple c-claps to hold them down.

hlvabeach
11-15-2018, 05:34 PM
I have something like (see below link) this in my workshop with two Dillon 650's and an RCBS C clamped to it. Very heavy duty solid table. Can store heavy items below too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seville-Classics-UltraHD-Mobile-Workstation/111652675?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=7371&adid=22222222228041611266&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=106012628597&wl4=pla-291344461517&wl5=9008532&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115056669&wl11=online&wl12=111652675&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKOHQhjLDkllYgHC4S3tKI HFoUTgdO-qU44rRII6uveG8Lr1naMQ00lhoC4LQQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hlvabeach
11-15-2018, 05:37 PM
I have something like (see below link) this in my workshop with two Dillon 650's and an RCBS C clamped to it. Very heavy duty solid table. Can store heavy items below too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seville-Classics-UltraHD-Mobile-Workstation/111652675?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=7371&adid=22222222228041611266&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=106012628597&wl4=pla-291344461517&wl5=9008532&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115056669&wl11=online&wl12=111652675&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKOHQhjLDkllYgHC4S3tKI HFoUTgdO-qU44rRII6uveG8Lr1naMQ00lhoC4LQQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkHere it is:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181115/8a8ccbf3f6b6a4a73f78614375967e8e.jpg

Mal Paso
11-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Here it is:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181115/8a8ccbf3f6b6a4a73f78614375967e8e.jpg

That setup would Intimidate any room even with the small footprint. Great job but way to scary to show a wife. LOL

ThomR
11-15-2018, 09:53 PM
The gun range that I go to here has concrete benches, some of which are not on the firing line. I'm going to go to the lumber store tomorrow and get 3 two foot sections of 2x6 or 2x8. I'll bolt the reloading press and powder measure to one section and glue another section to the bottom of that. I will use a couple large C clamps and clamp all of it to a bench at the gun range.

Jniedbalski
11-15-2018, 10:13 PM
230427 this is the type of desk I use to mount my press to

dverna
11-15-2018, 11:09 PM
I would buy cast bullets and mount a progressive press on something. My mentor lived in a one bedroom apartment and had two Stars mounted on wooden chairs. Seems to me the bulk of the savings are not from casting bullets but reloading. YMMV

This is based on just reloading for your IPDA needs.

varmintpopper
11-16-2018, 12:02 AM

https://imgur.com/RhC0IJk

Here's some 40 S$W for You

Good Shooting

Lindy

ThomR
11-16-2018, 12:30 AM
https://imgur.com/RhC0IJk

Here's some 40 S$W for You

Good Shooting

Lindy

I'll be expecting a couple thousand rounds in the mail soon. I'll send you a five gallon bucket full of lead in return.

Handloader109
11-16-2018, 05:16 PM
I've mentioned before, but I've a Jawhorse workbench/stand that I use with a lee single stage. It breaks down well, and you can put various tops on the thing. It's three legged and stable.
I've resized 300BO from 223 and 22tcm with the thing and no issues with tipping.
There are knockoffs that are cheap.

And NO, don't reload in the open. Just don't. Don't cast bullets either. TOO many questions can be asked. I'd be the range has a spot, or someone there. I'd be buying plated bullets and reload them.