PDA

View Full Version : Blooded the 1867 Swedish rolling block

Wolfer
11-12-2018, 08:51 PM

I spent opening weekend of deer season trying to get my main hunting buddy Parker his first deer. He closed the deal on Sunday so today it was just me and the 67 rolling block. I'm just shooting the plinking loads. 12.5 gr Unique and the 450 gr Lee boolit. 40 yds away and quartering to me. The boolit entered high between the neck and shoulder and exited halfway between the last rib and the hind quarter. Entrance hole of 1/2" and exit about 1-1/2". Oddly enough there was no blood trail. He went about 30 yds before crashing. The paunch had blocked the exit hole, there was no blood on the hair or ground or on nose or mouth. Lots of blood inside. You never know what you might see when your hunting.

I was hoping to dig the boolit out of the ground behind him but it had skidded and ricocheted.

Ive often let bucks like this walk but I have to go back to work tomorrow and I was really wanting to blood this gun. I'm sure it not its first but maybe it's first in a long time.
Plus, open sights and I have to shoot left handed this year due to eye problems kinda makes him a trophy.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Nice shot! I need to be shooting some left handed, as my left eye is better than my right.

45&30-30
11-12-2018, 10:39 PM
I remember the days of working to get each of the kids their deer and then taking a day or two for self. I appreciated the opportunity to teach all of my kids to hunt but enjoy it more that the pressure is off. Good shooting Wolfer.

Time Killer
11-12-2018, 10:58 PM
Great shooting. Love to hear when some one makes an older on go bang for what it was intended for.

Gewehr-Guy
11-13-2018, 12:12 AM
I just might try out my 1870 Husqvarna this weekend, but need to load a few rounds. Those old sporters might have killed plenty of moose in their heyday. If I get lucky I'll have to learn to post pictures. That "plinking load" probably would have plowed through a couple more deer, had any been in the way! Do you have your sight set on 120 or180 ?

Wolfer
11-13-2018, 08:10 AM
This gun came without a front sight. I soldered on a ramp and a fiber optic front. When set on 120 the boolit lands behind the bead. That's how I held. I covered the spot I wanted to hit with the bead.
I prefer the bullet lands at the top of the bead but that's going to require more sight work.

sharps4590
11-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Well done Wolfer!! I wanted to get my Husky roller out but it doesn't appear that's going to happen.

Gewehr-Guy
11-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Wolfer, when I'm shooting at our CBA matches I use a stack of paper shims under the sight leaf to get the right elevation, for 200 yards the sight is set at 240 with .040 of paper shim under the leaf. I cut the paper into strips and staple together on the end , put under the sight, and if it shoots high that day I just tear off strips until they come down to the center of the bull. Someday I will make an assortment of shims of beer can material, flattened cartridge cases, ect, and mark them for range.

Wolfer
11-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Wolfer, when I'm shooting at our CBA matches I use a stack of paper shims under the sight leaf to get the right elevation, for 200 yards the sight is set at 240 with .040 of paper shim under the leaf. I cut the paper into strips and staple together on the end , put under the sight, and if it shoots high that day I just tear off strips until they come down to the center of the bull. Someday I will make an assortment of shims of beer can material, flattened cartridge cases, ect, and mark them for range.

Ive been planning to do that very thing. As usual I didn't get it done but I did know exactly where the boolit would land.

DougGuy
11-13-2018, 08:09 PM
That crock pot won't know about any of the particulars and they won't matter to a knife and fork!!!! Good hunting!

Ole Joe Clarke
11-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Am enjoying reading about shooting dear with low powered loads in these old firearms and calibers. I know where there is a Ruger SS 45-70 that a person might get, then have to work up a load.

Keep up the good work.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Gewehr-Guy
11-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Wolfer,used my 1870 Husqvarna to make meat with this morning,after a first attempt in which I displayed some poor marksmanship, I got a second chance when a few minutes later a nice big doe came back toward me and offered me a 50 yard broadside shot. The shot was a bit high right behind the shoulder and knocked the legs out from under her. These old rifles don't seem to scare the deer like a high intensity caliber, and I remained still a few minutes and watched several of the dozen deer I frightened with the two shots, actually come back to the dead deer and look at it. Could have filled my second tag, but wanted to get my one deer handled so I could get to a local gun auction today.

Wolfer
11-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Good deal.

missionary5155
11-18-2018, 04:26 PM
Good afternoon and Congratulations !
That 450 grainer pushed by 12.5 grains Unique had all the power it needed. Imagine what it would take to stop that big chunk of lead... Maybe three of them corn crunchers.

Mgvande
11-19-2018, 12:09 AM
Great. Now I have to get one of those. Good job

Mgvande
11-19-2018, 12:15 AM
I use the paper shim as well on a Beaumont. One piece of construction paper under the rear leave when all the way down indexes the shot at 100m. Lucky the Windage is spot on.

Euan
11-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Excellent, Well done. Love seeing these older rifles still working.

Wolfer
11-19-2018, 06:57 PM
It seems to me they work about as well as they ever did. Wish I could say the same.

koger
11-28-2018, 03:35 PM
I have a similar 1867 Husqvarna, and have been shooting a little more unique powder and the same bullet cast out of wheel weights. I had plans to hunt with it this year, but due to medical reasons I could only hunt from the truck and so hunted fields, where I had to take long shots, so I went with my bolt action 6.5x55 swede, oh well, maybe next year!