PDA

View Full Version : Neck Pain spine Problem

Ford SD
11-10-2018, 07:11 PM
I am having neck Problems/ pain

pain about a 2/10 or a 3. Looking for opinions before I go see the doc. ..
Talked to him about 2 years ago so it is in the file. can not rember if I had pictures taken
If I sleep wrong neck (or do something to it) could be sore for a week or two.then pain goes down to about a 1

Hurt my neck as a kid but have been getting worse (life) now 55
Not taking anything for it but on the bad days TYLENOL.

I think I have a ruptured dish in my neck, and at times think i Get bone on bone rubbing.(very recent)

whats worked .. and what is a waist of time, thinking 20-30 years in the future

thanks

lefty o
11-10-2018, 07:14 PM
go see a doc, and maybe follow up with a bone cruncher. dont be taking advice about the spine from folks on an internet forum. no matter how well meaning.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-10-2018, 07:26 PM
I think you should go to the Doc. I'll be curious what they can do, if the pain isn't debilitating.

shooter93
11-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Go to a good Doctor. I have been through it all concerning back problems including the neck. Three fusions and one was massive....from tailbone to shoulder blades. My pain was in the 8-9 range and has been severe for years. I am beyond fixing some of it now. I had trouble like you describe in the neck but much worse pain. That fusion worked very very well and doesn't give me any problems. It doesn't sound like you are near getting fused yet and a Doctor will give you the best guidance. People on the net can tell you what they have been through but get your medical advice from a Doctor.

Wheelguns 1961
11-10-2018, 07:48 PM
I just had spine surgery on my lower back on Weds. The first thing you will need is an mri, but before the ins co will pay for the mri, they will make you go to 4-6weeks physical therapy. You need to start with your famly doctor. He will get you started with pt, and then get you setup for an mri. It is a long painful process that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Who knows, maybe the physical therapy will help you. I had my first mri in 2005.

Houndog
11-10-2018, 08:21 PM
Before you do anything get it xrayed (at the very least) or an MRI so the doc can see what's going on. Around here a Chiropractor can do the xray MUCH cheaper and usually faster than most normal channels. It may be deep tissue massage and a few trips to a chiropractor is all that's needed, but it could be a serious problem. Without an xray or an MRI it's all a guess.

MaryB
11-10-2018, 09:23 PM
See your doc, impossible to make a recommendation without an MRI or CT scan(I am claustrophobic so CT it is!). PT and stretching might help, they may suggest traction for a couple weeks. And they will want to do injections before they even begin to talk about a $60k surgery...

Been there, done that, have a plate in my neck from a 2 level fusion...

Ford SD
11-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Just looking for ideas and what not to do.

Next summer plan on a Hot tub in back yard.. found it was good after a hard day at work.. Mostly walking and lifting stuff

worst fear right now is getting in a car axcident and having my neck messed up. .. not going to the neck cracker

Pain I can live with to some extent.. Never so much that I can not get out of bed.
I have been using Glucosamine for the last 6 years or so maybe only 1 tablet a day.
Before I stated it I was using more than 4 tylenol a day (doing med lifting.. Factory work) now I go weeks with out using any tylenol /Aleve

Just in the last two week or so Neck is worse than normal

Have been dealing with ankle pain the last 2 years, since I twisted it, last time (Told the doc about it ) so I don.t think he will say PT will fix it
did get ankle xrayed .. Need to be able to drive.. right foot

Ford SD
11-10-2018, 09:59 PM
See your doc, impossible to make a recommendation without an MRI or CT scan(I am claustrophobic so CT it is!). PT and stretching might help, they may suggest traction for a couple weeks. And they will want to do injections before they even begin to talk about a $60k surgery...

Been there, done that, have a plate in my neck from a 2 level fusion...

they may suggest traction... what does this involve ???... like the idea of non surgury more than the Knife.
Put stitches in my finger no problem, I will hold the bits in place when you sew.. the back ????

Wheelguns 1961
11-10-2018, 10:20 PM
The injections didn’t help me at all. In fact, they greatly increased my pain. The surgeon said that my spine probably couldn’t take the increased pressure. The insurance companies have it all mapped out.
1-pt
2-mri
3-injections
4-surgery
Of course, if one of these helps, they will stop there. I think a chiropractor is considered an unconventional treatment method, and your ins may or may not pay for it. I didn’t try one, but have friends that swear by them.
I am also claustrophbic, and had to have an open mri. They also gave me valium before the mri to keep me calm.

Char-Gar
11-11-2018, 12:07 AM
Pain 2-3 on a a 10 point scale? Take a couple of Ibuprophen and forget about it. When it get to 8 go see a doctor. 2 to 3 isn't pain, it is discomfort.

Ford SD
11-11-2018, 12:50 AM
I broke My Pelvis 3 spots No Pain meds taken
16 weeks on crutches .. did my own PT no Pain meds learing to walk.. Motorcycle

Heel spurs both feet contiued to walk on them trying different shoe inserts 6-12 months before pain free.. I have a high pain threshold

About my neck
just lying in bed at night before going to sleep (no pillow) if I turn my head I can feel the bones grate together in my neck

poppy42
11-11-2018, 01:46 AM
What not to do? Don’t listen to anyone on an Internet forum! See a doctor! I’ve had multiple operations on my lower back, including a fusion on levels L4 L5 and L5 S1. I also have 5 herniated disks in my neck. If I had listened to those that suggested that I go to a chiropractor, I probably would be paralyzed and in a wheel chair! My first surgery was supposed to be a simple discectomy (a 20 minute procedure). The nerve roots were so bad ( completely incased in disk material ) that it took 2 surgeons 6 1/2 hours to free up the nerves. When I woke up in recovery I had permanent nerve damage in wy left leg, which included what’s called a drop foot. I was told that I was probably weeks away from permanent paralysis. Had I waited much longer for the surgery there would have been nothing that could be done. Had I gone to a chiropractor, he would have adjusted my spine and in doing so he more than likely severed my spine. None of these issues showed up any of the mri’s cat scans, or xrays that I had! The only test that showed the extent of the actual damage was the subsequent Myelograms that I had to monitor recovery. Myelograms are not normally given a a prerequisite to a simple discectomy. As for someone posting how pain level only being 2 or 3 on a scale of 10 not being that bad and you should wait till it gets to 8. First off everyone rates and deals with pain differently. In my case I waited almost a year before going to a doctor. Look we’re it got me. My point in telling you some of my story is to emphasize how important early and proper treatment is. Please see a doctor, see more than one doctor and get multiple opinions. Don’t follow internet advice. And don’t wait! I had my first back surgery in 1991 maybe if I’d seen a doctor sooner I wouldn’t have spent the last 27 years in constant, chronic pain. And maybe I wouldn’t have to take 120 milligrams of morphine plus other medications every day just to be able to live a some what normal life. I am certainly not pain free. But it’s diminished enough to be able to function. I do apologize if anything I said upset anyone. That was not my intention. I just hate the thought of anyone else going through what I’ve gone through for the past 27 years.

Lloyd Smale
11-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Yup I sure wouldnt go to a neurosurgeon to get advice about what alloy to cast for and sure wouldn't take advice from a high school grad bullet caster on something as important as my spine. Go to a good back surgeon. Very few of them will suggest surgery as a first fix. Any good one will do surgery as a last resort. If your surgeon immediately suggests surgery run as fast as you can. I had back surgery. I had no choice but that back surgery has ended up being 6 of them. Most who get cut on will be under the knife again in the future. Now I will say this chiropractors scare the begeebees out of me. If you have a serious problem with your back or bulged discs bending and cracking those joints IS NOT going to cure a thing. If anything it will do more long term damage. See a GOOD REAL doctor. Ive had 3 back surgeons ive delt with through the years (due to retirements) each and every one of them cringes at the word chiropractor.
go see a doc, and maybe follow up with a bone cruncher. dont be taking advice about the spine from folks on an internet forum. no matter how well meaning.

Wheelguns 1961
11-11-2018, 10:51 AM
The main thing that I regret is not doing anything for years. I would get it checked out now, before it gets too bad.

MaryB
11-12-2018, 12:38 AM
For traction PT straps you on the rack and they stretch you LOL literally! They have a table with sections than can put slight pressure on the spine... this is NOT something to just try! I had it done under neurosurgeon supervision...

farmbif
11-12-2018, 01:40 AM
like poppy and lloyd said, go to a reputable nuero surgeon, been there done that, i've suffered with chronic debilitating pain since accident broke back bones and popped disks when i was 21. get an mri, your lucky they have them now a day spinal tap/myelogram is no picnic, and dr will be able to see whats going on. don't go asking your bartender for medical advice

MrWolf
11-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Others have said it. See a good doctor. You get cut once, expect a lot of future ones. I agree with no chiropractor, see the doc first. A light type of traction would be the inversion tables. I have a teeter and love it. Uses your body weight to help seperate discs while upside down and you decide how much tilt to use. Good luck. I wish my daily was only a 2-3. Like others my good day is a 7.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Make a appointment

FISH4BUGS
11-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Had 2 runs to the emergency room in 4 months with back spasms. Pain like I have never experienced.
I got shot when I was 22 and this hurt worse!
Finally did an MRI and that told the story.
I would not make any plans until you got an MRI.
I am treating with massage, physical therapy and chiropractic care.
No knife for me!

snowwolfe
11-12-2018, 10:35 AM
If you have ruptured or herniated discs in your neck I can tell you what worked for ME. Caused a lot of pain in the 15 years I had it until finally the pain level hit 10 even when I laid down. Pain was constant day or night and the only thing that helped was opioids. Finally another MRI was scheduled and doc told me if I didnt have disc (3) replacement surgery within a month would most likely lose the ability to walk and the use of my left arm.
I tried PT, tons of home remedies, exercise, you name it. But the minute I woke up from surgery felt better than I had in 15 years and never needed even an aspirin since.

Put that free medical to good use and go see a doctor immediately.

Friends call me Pac
11-12-2018, 11:04 AM
I've had pain from my neck down to between my shoulder blades and extended all the way out to the tips of my right hand. In June I woke up in the most pain I have ever been in but I had a seasonal job and toughed it out. In July I woke up and my whole right arm was numb. At first I thought heart attack but then realized it was my right arm not my left. Went to the ER and was told it was just a pulled muscle. Two days later I went to a different ER and what a difference in treatment. Had a MRI 3 days later, soon prepped for visit with neurosurgeon then under the knife in September. From the day I woke up with the numb arm until the day of surgery I was doing everything left handed.

I had 3 discs in my neck replaced, fused and now sport a metal piece that connects the affected vertebrae together. The DR told me my neck was so bad it should have been taken care of years ago.

My pain level is nothing compared to before. I have use of my right arm again but the muscles look like I have been in a cast for six months. The arm is very weak but has feeling again along with motion.
I can't tell you how nice it is to comb my hair with my right hand again. I am told it will take about a year to get back to normal. My advice to you is go to the DR. Don't be the tough guy, it wasn't worth it.

Roy Acuffff
11-12-2018, 11:49 AM
I could sit here and tell my tales of the back, but no need to repeat what the other members have said. The BEST advice you are going to get is "Go the the Doctor". He is the only one who can help you. You already know this is what you need to do. Best of luck and God Bless.

Roy

Char-Gar
11-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Pain in the spine is very common with added years. I have lost 5 inches of height in the past few years as a result of the degeneration of the lumbar spine. I saw a doc about a year and a half ago and he did an IMR. He showed me the pics and pointed out what the problems are. I asked him if this condition has a name and he said "Yes, it is called old man back.".

I had one injection that has kept the situation within my tolerance level. Sometimes it now hits my middle back now. I don't take pain meds, although the pain is constant. Throw in all the arthritis in my various joints and that makes life a challenge. Getting old isn't for sissys.

The various opiods don't seem to have much effect on my pain, so why take them? In order to have any effect, the dosage has to be so high I feel like a zombie. I would prefer the pain to being in a trance.

MT Gianni
11-12-2018, 06:01 PM
I know some folks that have had great recovery after back surgery. I also know too many that would love to get back to the pain level they had before their first surgery, but that is long past after the 3 or more subsequent surgeries. What ever you do do your research and follow up. If they tell you walking 5-7 miles a day is the best thing you can do for your back do it for 4 months before deciding to have surgery. I never knew anyone who had a physical job return to the same level after surgery, most push it a little then comes the next surgery. Hips, knees, shoulders and feet are all very different than the back. Good luck with whatever you decide.

iomskp
11-12-2018, 08:14 PM
I had 2 crushed vertebrae (T3 and T6 ) and a lot of nerve and muscles damage, caused by a car accident. See a doctor avoid Chiropractors and other snake oil salesmen.

WheelgunConvert
11-12-2018, 09:09 PM
MD is a good place to start for benchmark purposes. Waiting until it’s severe can delay appropriate escalating therapy options.

That said, cold therapy be it ice packs or frozen water bottles is always a good adjunct to inflammatory spine issues.
A hot spa tub was my go to maintenance almost daily. Lost that in the flood and regrettably did not replace.
Following a severe flare up, and some brief but intense pharmacological support, I purchased an inversion table made by Teeter. It’s similar to traction. You don’t have to go full inverted for the benefit...It actually has an FDA approval, not just a TV gimmick.

I’ll call my current state well controlled but I still do 90 seconds a couple times a day.

Here’s the downside, the only place that seems to stock it is Dicks.

Hope you get some relief.

Bevan

Lloyd Smale
11-13-2018, 07:45 AM
My back doctor told me that over 75 percent of people over 50 have bulged discs in there backs. Said it doesn't much matter what you do for a living. Sitting behind a desk can actually be worse then someone like me that did a lot of physical labor. Don't know if he was lecturing me or not but he said one of the biggest causes of back injuries and bulged discs is cigarette smoking. It constricts the blood vessels that supply blood to the back even more then they do other blood vessels. He said he wont even do a fusion on a smoker anymore because the success rate for the long term is about cut in half with smokers. But bottom line is about everyone eventually gets bulged discs.
Pain in the spine is very common with added years. I have lost 5 inches of height in the past few years as a result of the degeneration of the lumbar spine. I saw a doc about a year and a half ago and he did an IMR. He showed me the pics and pointed out what the problems are. I asked him if this condition has a name and he said "Yes, it is called old man back.".

I had one injection that has kept the situation within my tolerance level. Sometimes it now hits my middle back now. I don't take pain meds, although the pain is constant. Throw in all the arthritis in my various joints and that makes life a challenge. Getting old isn't for sissys.

The various opiods don't seem to have much effect on my pain, so why take them? In order to have any effect, the dosage has to be so high I feel like a zombie. I would prefer the pain to being in a trance.

Ford SD
11-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I have had back pain off and on the last 35 years or so.
I have had the pinched nerve type, that when you finaly get in to bed at night and you are just ready to fall asleep and you get 8-9 till your back relaxes.
I have found the hot tub helps those. Changing jobs also Helped lots.

The Big hurdle for me going to the doctor, Was time. Time to look after my self.

On Friday I Buried My 11 year old Daughter. Died Nov. 11 2018, Remembrance Day

She Died from cancer 1-1/2 years, from the day we found out to the day she died.

I put everything on Hold for her. I am a member at 2 different gun clubs and only shot 3 times in the last year. So now doing what I can. Been doing lots of reading,-- most people say they should have checked /done it earlier. I want to get out hunting again, if I walk any distance pain would be a 5-6 for weeks after.(foot pain)

I will be talking to the doctor very soon, as soon as things calm down a bit, will ask about the inversion / traction after tests are done.

Thanks

MrWolf
11-19-2018, 04:36 PM
I am so, so sorry about your daughter. Prayers sent.

lightman
11-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Really sorry to hear about your Daughter. Thats a tough lick! Hope you can get your back fixed. Good Luck to you.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-20-2018, 09:56 AM
A surgeon's job is to cut. That is what he likes to do. That's what he will do if you let him. Can't say I find doctors' particularly trustworthy, especially if you have good insurance. Walking, stretching, yoga, tai chi all help your back. I find that getting in and out of my pickups the worst for my back, driving is next, I also try to avoid sitting, getting up after 1/2 hour or so. I did stand at my desk often before it was popular (20 years ago). Movement is key, the more you move the better you will feel, it does hurt at first, but then the movement feels better. Acupressure and acupuncture also work well. Sometimes cutting works, many times it does not last. Radiographs(x-ray) and MRI's are only done on people who hurt, how many people out there have the same x-ray/MRI and have no problems? We really don't know. Somebody has to pay for that $5million MRI machine.

trebor44
11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Appointment!!! And do some research on the medical sites.

Ford SD
11-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Did some reading and it was suggested to eat jello ..
to help with the joints plus some other stuff .. I would rather eat jello than take pills .. prob end up some where in between

Have not been a fan of jello for some time but if it helps, I am going to put it on my every day list of thing to do

I have also been taking D3 2-3 times a week with morining coffee

see doctor next week .. Making a list

Wayne Smith
11-28-2018, 08:49 AM
I just had an MRI of my lumbar spine. Stenosis and severe arthritis of the lower back. My PCP referred me to a neurosurgeon. Did a little research - they do non-invasive surgery of the brain and spine. Similar to proton therapy but with three beams focused on the area from three different directions. No incision, no major recovery problems, but we'll see what that can and can't do.

Ford SD
12-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Up date
had some xrays done, I have Degenerative disc disease in my neck. I think eating jello helps

getting blood work done next week, and my first physical since 2016 after xmas

trying to book a mri for ankle / neck ?

Wife has asked if I want a inversion table for xmas ?

samari46
12-11-2018, 11:54 PM
I've always had lower back pain for years. Since I have a RN coming to the house 3x a week for unrelated issues she was there just shortly after my back went out. twp months later 2nd time only this was much worse. Since she has to file reports with my DR. he sent over a physical therapist.. Along with different excersises she suggested a gel called biofreeze. She runs it in just prior to the massage. Don't know if its her massages or the biofreeze but so far its working. Found two large notted up muscles on either side of the spine. Left is worse than the right. Used to be they handed me pills and that was it. Frank

MrWolf
12-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Up date
had some xrays done, I have Degenerative disc disease in my neck. I think eating jello helps

getting blood work done next week, and my first physical since 2016 after xmas

trying to book a mri for ankle / neck ?

Wife has asked if I want a inversion table for xmas ?

I have a Teeter inversion table. Loved it for a long time till my last accident. Now can only tolerate about a song's worth of time on it. Good luck.