PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-255 RF 6 banger

Heavy lead
10-01-2008, 10:11 PM
OK people, I drank the Lee koolaid. I've had a couple of Lee 2 bangers in the past and quite frankly wasn't impressed. Now I'm not a Lee basher, in fact I really like most of their presses, and other reloading tools, but always liked RCBS, Lyman and other Iron moulds. Anyway I received it tonight cleaned it and had a pot all warmed up, didn't cast worth a hoot until I turned it way up.
Whatdoyaknow. It worked fine, busted 60 out without a problem, then wham, the alignment pin (closest to the hinge) stuck shut. I ruined the 6 boolits in the mould getting it unstuck and pushed the female pin back in the hot mould and then lubed it (this was all on me, I should've lubed it) went back to casting got 60 more done, I must say I'm impressed, but concerned. I normally use a boolit with a big old grease groove. These boolits are dropping 454 to 455 and I'm sizing to 452. There just isn't much grease groove left. I'll shoot them this weekend, they'll go out the barrel under 8 grains of Unique. Any Lee micro grease groove lovers out there can set my mind at ease about this. I just know I'm going to be scraping lead out of that 625. Tell me I'm wrong, or should I melt them and get a mould with a real grease groove. This is not the multi banded boolit, but the one with two grease grooves, they are just very small.

yondering
10-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I use this bullet in my Bisley Blackhawk over 10gr Unique, WCWW+2% with BAC or Carnuba Red, it's one of my most accurate loads for that gun. My mold is just the 2 cavity version though.

Doughty
10-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Heavy,

You might want to try shooting them unsized. Maybe just hand lube a few and try them. If they shoot as good or better, you could then get a larger die or just tumble lube them. My 25-9 easily takes .455 boolits.

Heavy lead
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I think this is what I'm going to do. I sized about 25 of them in a lubrisizer last night and I'm really concerned with the small abount of lube in the small leftover lube groove. They seem to be very consisant size wise, impressive. I think they will shoot well. I think I'll dip lube in LLA, then tumble in JPW and see how they work.
Heavy,

You might want to try shooting them unsized. Maybe just hand lube a few and try them. If they shoot as good or better, you could then get a larger die or just tumble lube them. My 25-9 easily takes .455 boolits.

prs
10-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I have been told by Doug at Lee that the "452"-255-RF is actually designed to drop close to .454 with their spec alloy. If you desire a similar boolit with large lube grooves, then google Big Lube Bullets and check out my PRS-454-25-RF in the Lee 6 cavity blocks. My pill is designed for real black powder, but performs well with smokesless powder too. ALWAYS use NRA lube on the alignment pins of Lee molds. I lube after every 10 or so fills. I like to cast hot enough and fast enough so that the first filled cavity is still molten as I finish the last fill.

prs

Heavy lead
10-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Looks like a great boolit design. I don't shoot bp, but I can see where it is ideal for it. Probably too much lube for smokeless, BUT I'd rather have too much than not enough, I hate scraping lead out. Looks like the 250 grainer is quite long, maybe about as long as a 300, but I think I might pick one up. My opinion is that a 45 ought to shoot at least a 250 grain boolit, always had better luck with them myself. Are these normally in stock, or is there a wait?

badgeredd
10-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Looks like a great boolit design. I don't shoot bp, but I can see where it is ideal for it. Probably too much lube for smokeless, BUT I'd rather have too much than not enough, I hate scraping lead out. Looks like the 250 grainer is quite long, maybe about as long as a 300, but I think I might pick one up. My opinion is that a 45 ought to shoot at least a 250 grain boolit, always had better luck with them myself. Are these normally in stock, or is there a wait?

HL,
Just checked Midsouth and they have it (452-255-RF 6 banger) on hand. Midway does NOT. Midway does have the 300 gr. on hand. Graf & Sons has one too.

Edd

Heavy lead
10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
OK, guys, I shot 50 of them today out of a 625-9 Mountain Gun sized at 452 (this gun has tight 451 throats. I was apprehensive about the small lube left after resizing, but they shot great, no leading and good accuracy, they were shot behind 8 grains of Unique and a Remington Large Pistol Primer. Didn't chrono, but I probably will next week. Looks like I found a keeper plinker boolit.

prs
10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I've used the Lee 452-255-RF and the PRS-454-250-RF in smokless loads and both shoot well. I lube either with Lee Liquid Allox for smokless.

prs