PDA

View Full Version : Cast at 1360 fps.

Muddydogs
11-09-2018, 07:35 PM
So I have 365 250 grain SWC lead rounds marked as Hard Cast, not sure of the lube or even there diameter as I purchased them some time in the early 1990's and loaded them with 22 grains of H110. Ya I know but you have to remember this was back before internet, I was young and dumb, and I probably thought hard cast ment they could be shot like jacketed because who knew that size and hardness mattered back then.

I found these rounds and hauled some to the range today, they chronied at 1360, seemed to group somewhat well and left a little lead in the barrel.

Any reason not to shoot up the rest of them? Pulling them would end up wasting the powder and adding bullets to the melt pile. Hornady book lists 24.8 as make load for H110 and 240 grain XTP.

GregLaROCHE
11-09-2018, 08:21 PM
You could carefully pull them and save the powder and boolits. You would need a good boolit puller. Not a pair of pliers. Boolits and powder is probably still good. You could then relube them, because there is a good chance some of the lube has dried out and that is why there is some leading. If you have a lubrasizer you can put new lube on them with it or just pan lube.

When it comes to reloading then, use the same boolits. Make sure all the powder is out of the cases, before you add the charge. If you want to stay as economical as possible, use the same powder, but be sure to measure it when putting it back in the cases. You may come up a littler short on powder just don’t load the last few. Use new powder if you want.

Otherwise, just shoot them as is and deal with cleaning the led out if needed. It’s not the end of the world. Just a bit of work.

quilbilly
11-09-2018, 08:56 PM
I have found 1360 to be right on the edge of leading. I have some rifles and Contender pistols that will allow higher velocities with plain base boolits. Others, no so much. If it is "just a little", I would go ahead and shoot them up if there aren't too any more than 50. By your description, an MV of 1300 might not lead at all.

Muddydogs
11-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Well it leaded fairly well actually but since I had just stripped the old S&W 629 classic down to the frame, cleaned and lubed everything and even did a little bore polish with Iosso Bore Paste the lead seems to be coming right out with the Chore Boy fibers wrapped around a brass brush trick. I'll probably just work on shooting them up but it might take a while as my hands sure didn't like the recoil from these suckers. I would rather shoot my 8 grains of Unique with a Lee 240 grain TL cast bullet.

44Blam
11-10-2018, 02:15 AM
Well it leaded fairly well actually but since I had just stripped the old S&W 629 classic down to the frame, cleaned and lubed everything and even did a little bore polish with Iosso Bore Paste the lead seems to be coming right out with the Chore Boy fibers wrapped around a brass brush trick. I'll probably just work on shooting them up but it might take a while as my hands sure didn't like the recoil from these suckers. I would rather shoot my 8 grains of Unique with a Lee 240 grain TL cast bullet.

I was shooting 240s in 44 mag with 9 grn of Unique and it was giving me just a little leading. So I cleaned it out and am trying 8.5 grn...

BUT I was shooting 8 grn of unique in a Tokerov round with no leading and kind of bad accuracy earlier this week... It's an odd powder.

Muddydogs
11-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Here is a 25 yd 6 shot group with my load of 8 gr Unique and the Lee 240 gr TL SWC. Granted I was messing around with a Primary Arms red dot sight and shooting off the bench. Bullets are lubed with the 45/45/10 home brew lube. I'm not seeing very much leading with this load.

Aimpoint was the blue tape.

fecmech
11-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Your load is certainly safe at 22 grs and if it shoots well why pull them? A little bit of lead isn't going to hurt anything. If you have some left to load get some Lee liquid alox and put a light coat on them before you load. The only way I'd pull them is with my trigger finger.
BTW my silhouette load was a 250 gr Keith loaded over 25 grs/296 for 1400 fps out of a Super Blackhawk, it clocked 1400+. I burned a few 8 lb kegs of 296 with that load.