PDA

View Full Version : Recoil

3856imp
11-09-2018, 02:36 AM
I have a few guns that kick, one of my favorites is my 700 adl rebored and chambered to 35 whelen it is a plain jane gun right down to the plastic buttplate. I love it, so does my 13 year old son. He shoots it and laughs and asks for more ammo. He weighs about 90lbs.

If a boy can shoot this then maybe men shouldn't whine about recoil.

If you want to shoot it you can, if it scared you don't whine.

3856imp
11-09-2018, 02:45 AM
250 gr factory Remington is what he shoots, i got a bunch but he is going through them.

Johnch
11-09-2018, 07:16 AM
LOL He moves with the recoil more than you do
So IMO you feel it more

But I would get a recoil pad fitted to the stock
It makes the rifle feel like it has less recoil
Also a decent recoil pad will not slip like a plastic butt plate

John

kungfustyle
11-09-2018, 07:35 AM
No thanks my friend. I draw the line at 30-06. I can shoot heavier just have no desire to. More power to you, however, as long as you are passing it along to the next generation, Good on you.

mold maker
11-09-2018, 08:20 AM
My son bought a Savage 110 in 300 Win Mag. No matter how I loaded it the pain outweighed the pleasure. It went down the road with the dies, brass, and bullets. Gritting your teeth doesn't help the aim.

Hickok
11-09-2018, 08:41 AM
My 45/70 Marlin 1895 with 400 gr boolits pushed to 1800-1900fps is like standing behind a mule when he licks an electric fence!:veryconfu

I now load them to 1400 fps, and the deer don't know the difference, and I doubt if a buffalo or a grizzly bear would either!:bigsmyl2:

AZ Pete
11-09-2018, 08:43 AM
the more you anticipate it, the more you tense up, and the more recoil you feel. Loosen up, and rock with it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redhawk0
11-09-2018, 09:19 AM
I have never been bothered much by recoil. I shoot up to 45-70 and always have a blast at the range. My mental state going in is....it won't kill me...it won't do any permanent damage. Its just the way I roll with it.

Now...pistol on the other hand...I have some arthritis starting...I'm scaling back my 44Mag loads to acceptable levels. Not that I can't handle the recoil...I just don't want to cause more permanent damage due to aging. My shoulder hasn't felt that visit from Arthr yet....so I'm good with long guns.

redhawk

LUCKYDAWG13
11-09-2018, 09:24 AM
I was at my range a few weeks ago a Dad and Son were at the 100 yard rifle range kid looked like he was about 10 years old
Dad was shooting a 91/30 kid asked if he could try it I'm thinking this kid just going to shoot one time nope kid shoot it 5 times
so I asked the kid how his shoulder was he smiled and said it was just a little sore

jmort
11-09-2018, 09:32 AM
I have a few guns that kick, one of my favorites is my 700 adl rebored and chambered to 35 whelen it is a plain jane gun right down to the plastic buttplate. I love it, so does my 13 year old son. He shoots it and laughs and asks for more ammo. He weighs about 90lbs.

What Hickok said, except I would be down to subsonic with that one.
I expect there would be whining about one of my 1,000 grain shotgun slugs.
Yes, some small boys and petite women can take recoil beyond expectations.
I have nothing to prove so I will whine and say, I am no recoil junky.

Tom W.
11-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Get a LimbSaver and all will be a LOT better....

375supermag
11-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Hi...
I think recoil is more of a mindset thing than anything.
I shoot rifles up to 7mm Mag with no issues despite some pretty serious illnesses, surgeries, radiation and chemo treatments.

I don't own any rifles more powerful than 7mm Magnum, mostly because I can't imagine a North American game animal that a 7mm Magnum can't handle, although I have no expectation of hunting anything bigger than Pennsylvania black bears that can top 700lbs.

Texas by God
11-09-2018, 12:09 PM
If you are recoil proof, take a 5 pound 12 gauge with a plastic buttplate and shoot a 25 rd group of 3" slugs and prove it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

brewer12345
11-09-2018, 12:37 PM
I am no recoil fan. I find full house 30-06 loads unpleasant to shoot at the range. so my shooting of such is limited. One of the reasons I was particularly eager to load cast is to produce loads for this rifle that are less punishing but still very accurate. I only really need full blast jacketed loads for elk hunting, so that is what I limit it to. Everything else I shoot is less punishing. I am probably never going to buy a rifle in a more punishing caliber, since I don't hunt anything that a .30-06 won't kill and recoil does not seem like my thing. If I buy a 45/70, trapdoor type loads are going to be on the menu.

fatelk
11-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Heavy recoil was a lot more fun when I was younger, kind of a manly, tough guy thing. I’m older now, nothing to prove; it’s just not fun to get beat up anymore.

Right now I have a minor shoulder thing going on, some kind of rotator cuff sprain I think. I was out shooting the M1 Garand and K31 a week or two ago, neither of which has ever bothered me before, and my shoulder hurt for a couple days. I may have to lay off shooting anything with much kick for a while.

DocSavage
11-09-2018, 12:49 PM
So far my limit is 45/70 heavy loads. Having both shoulders operated on I scale back on my loads for the 45/70 and 308. Both rifles are 'target" rifles and are heavier so recoil is reduced.

lefty o
11-09-2018, 01:00 PM
everybody is different in how they tolerate recoil. seem some really big tough guys that cant handle it. heavy recoiling guns, handgun or rifle never really bothered me, but i disagree with the OP's premise.

sparky45
11-09-2018, 01:06 PM
After a total Shoulder repair, I am VERY recoil sensitive, but I can still shoot my 30 cal. stuff alright. Factory ammo in 30-06 is a bit rough, but I reload and only bought a couple of boxes of factory for the brass.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-09-2018, 01:30 PM

My first gun was a 20ga break-open single shot...I used it quite a bit, then I was 12 or 13, my dad bought me a 20ga pump action shotgun...the same day we first shot it, he also let me shoot his 12ga Rem 870, the same one he shot for years and years in a trap league, it was just about wore out. I loved the 870 and much like 3856imp"s Son, I laughed and asked for more shells. My shoulder was black and blue that night, but the 870 became mine and my Dad much preferred the 20ga pump, which I never even tried shooting, I inherited the 20ga pump when I was about 40 yrs old...and at that age, I learned why he liked it better than the 870.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Round count can make a difference, keep shooting the hard kicking stuff, say 50 rounds and check the group size and target, keep shooting and the flinch will come. It is easy to shoot a few rounds of the hard kicking stuff, recoil is cumulative. The real accurate long range shooters look for ways to reduce recoil so more rounds can be sent downrange ACCURATELY. The 6mm Creedmoor and David Tubb's 6XC are the result of people who understand how recoil affects precision shooting performance. Go to a prairie dog town and see how long shooting the little rats continues to be fun. I am not a fan of small calibers for elk or moose, I use lightweight 45-70 and 358 and know what recoil is, but getting beat-up for fun?

Tom W.
11-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Yup, back when I was younger my buddy got a very light Single shot H&R 12 ga. 3.5 inch and two boxes of turkey loads. I believe I shot it twice.

My Ruger #1B that I had in 7mm Rem Mag wasn't too bad, nor was my same rifle in 30-06. When I put a Limbsaver on both of them I was VERY surprised, as well as pleased.

I don't care for the recoil of a .44 Mag in a SA revolver, but the same loads in a Ruger Super RedHawk don't bother me at all.

I ain't shooting another .454.....Unless it's with Ruger only .45 Colt loads. Or ported.

762 shooter
11-09-2018, 02:31 PM
I've always wanted a Siamese Mauser in 45-70. So when I ran up on a Winchester Model 70 Super Express in 458 Win Mag I said why the heck not? A 45-70 on steroids. Then I remembered I had rotator cuff surgery about a year ago. I knew I could Trailboss anything, but I wanted to shoot some full power stopping loads. You know 500 grains at 2150 ft/sec. I started looking for ways to manage the recoil and found this You Tube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDwhiTkM668

Stand more square to the target and place the butt of the rifle farther over into your chest. Over your pectoral, not into the shoulder joint. I shot 20 rounds of 458. Ten rounds of 350 grains at 2450 ft/sec and 10 rounds of the aforementioned 500 grains.

I was shooting off cross sticks and shot some tiny groups at 50 yds. The next day my chest muscle was a little sore but my shoulder was still attached. Maybe a touch of Shaken Baby Syndrome, but I thoroughly enjoyed the range session.

The guy was right about the stance. It works for me.

brewer12345
11-09-2018, 03:23 PM
The funny thing is that I never notice or recall recoil when I am shooting at game. A few rounds of .30-06 at the range and I can feel it. The same at an elk, don't have any idea the butt of the rifle even hit me.

OldBearHair
11-09-2018, 03:59 PM
You guys reminded me of younger, stouter days a while back (1980s) I was working up a load of 190 grain Jwords and had 4 sets of three rounds to fire. The previous sets of four were nearly up to what I thought I needed without pressure signs. Laid myself down prone with a couple sand bags and at the report realized that would not work. Jarred me all the way down to my left hip. Of course a standing shot with same load seemed do-able going with the flow.. Found out that bullet shot just fine about three steps back down the ladder.

Walks
11-09-2018, 04:04 PM
I've been crippled by recoil, my neck has 3 malformed vertebrae and all of my cervical discs are crushed or non-existent. The A/C joint in my right shoulder is crumbled to dust. The entire right shoulder is disintegrating.

I started Competitive TRAP (ATA) Shooting & SKEET (NSSA) Shooting at 12yrs old. I averaged 200+ rds a week. And I loaded all my own Ammo & most of my DAD'S & little Brother's. We used what is today called the HEAVY TRAP LOAD; 3 Dram Eq. 1 1/8 oz of shot.

For 5 years. I have permanent tennis elbow in my right arm, that can only be corrected with Surgery.

After I came home from Overseas, they had closed my TRAP Range to build the container yard at the port of Los Angeles. Couldn't stand waiting an hour & a half to shoot at the only other TRAP Range.
So I got into Handgun Metallic Silhouette. Big HARD Kicking Handguns.
And Big-Bore Rifles from the bench.
Had a complete right shoulder rebuild at 39yrs old. Now everything around it is crumbling.

PLEASE KEEP HEAVY RECOILING GUNS AWAY FROM GROWING CHILDREN.

You maybe dead before it effects them in their 40's or 50's, but it will effect them.
I was feeling it by the time I was 33yrs old.

Now the best I can do is a Win 73 with Cowboy Loads. I'll never fire a shotgun again.

country gent
11-09-2018, 04:29 PM
I have competed in NRA rifle with 308 243 and 223, 50 rds to 88rds in a day plus pit duty and BPCR Shilouette with 34-90, 45-70, 40-65, and 38-55. 50 rds plus sighters and an side matches.
The NRA match rifles were service rifles in 308 and 223 ( M1As and AR15s) rifle weights were in the 13-14 lb range. The match rifles were 243 and 223 and in the same range for weight. A full match with the 308s was tiring but not painfull. As the day went on I did have to concentrate harder due to the fatigue. The match rifles were even easier on me due to the adjustable butt plates cheek pieces and the better fit in position. The BPCR rifles Are the same as far as fatigue and recoil they run 12 lbs and recoil isn't an issue at the stat but as the match goes on it takes its toll. The 45-90 with 550 grn bullets can be tiring. coil and fatigue affect more than just the shoulder and arms, as you tire eyesight gets weaker, the minds ability to focus becomes harder. Your ability to hold or maintain a position becomes harder. Learning to relax and just hold the rifle up helps a lot.

I watched a few Long range shooters with 300 win mags and bigger start out strong but as the day go on things start dropping.

Mindset is a big part of handling recoil, as is position and actual fit of the rifle.

Rufus Krile
11-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Just started playing with a Shiloh Sharps 50 X 2 1/2 and, as much fun as that is, I don't think I'm going to be shooting it near as much as my 45/70. When you get into these things torque becomes a factor and us right-handed shooters start getting slapped around if we lighten up on our hold. Sort of self-correcting...

nicholst55
11-09-2018, 09:20 PM
A lot of times the stock design and rifle weight have a lot more impact on perceived recoil than the cartridge the rifle is chambered for. The absolute worst recoiling rifle that I have ever owned was a little Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine in 7.62X54R. That gun literally beat me to death every time I jerked the trigger! After 5-10 rounds off the bench, I had what the English call 'gun headache,' and my shoulder was bruised. I'm 6'2" and currently weigh 240 pounds and shoot a full sized M91/30 rifle (and many larger bores as well) without complaint. I wasn't set up to load for that gun at the time, and Boxer-primed brass was both scarce and very expensive (either Norma or Lapua). Milsurp ammo was dirt cheap, but it was absolutely no fun to shoot through that gun. The short, skinny stock, steel buttplate and impressive muzzle blast all combined to make that gun no fun to shoot at all! I struggled through perhaps 100 rounds over a couple of years, and then sold it.

white eagle
11-09-2018, 11:22 PM
My 45/70 Marlin 1895 with 400 gr boolits pushed to 1800-1900fps is like standing behind a mule when he licks an electric fence!:veryconfu

I now load them to 1400 fps, and the deer don't know the difference, and I doubt if a buffalo or a grizzly bear would either!:bigsmyl2:

alot said there
my Guide gun has a decelerator recoil pad on it it still beats me up
my bil caould not shoot his 338 wm so I ended up sighting it in for him

ThomR
11-10-2018, 12:17 AM
I have an acquaintance that bruises from shooting 223. He is quite possibly the biggest wimp I've ever met.

samari46
11-10-2018, 12:39 AM
Ruger #1 in 45/70 with factory 300 grain ammo, recoil was just a quick jab. But when I got to about 2000 fps wasn't fun anymore. My go to deer rifle is a Sako 75 hunter in 30-06 pushing a 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip at 2800 fps and with their well designed stock and a good recoil pad is a dream to shoot. Did fire some warm loads from a friends Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Definitely not fun. Have fired a bunch of 375H&H and while controllable wasn't my cup of tea. My Russian M44 carbine in 7.62x54r with yugo heavy ball is fun. Lotta boom and muzzle flash. With all that said have been shooting the '06 in various rifles both military and commercial for years. Just feel comfortable with that cartridge. 308 win.7.62x51 meh, never had a 308 that shot as well as the '06 and I have 3 308's. Frank

fatelk
11-10-2018, 12:44 AM
I've been crippled by recoil, my neck has 3 malformed vertebrae and all of my cervical discs are crushed or non-existent. The A/C joint in my right shoulder is crumbled to dust. The entire right shoulder is disintegrating.

I started Competitive TRAP (ATA) Shooting & SKEET (NSSA) Shooting at 12yrs old. I averaged 200+ rds a week. And I loaded all my own Ammo & most of my DAD'S & little Brother's. We used what is today called the HEAVY TRAP LOAD; 3 Dram Eq. 1 1/8 oz of shot.

For 5 years. I have permanent tennis elbow in my right arm, that can only be corrected with Surgery.

After I came home from Overseas, they had closed my TRAP Range to build the container yard at the port of Los Angeles. Couldn't stand waiting an hour & a half to shoot at the only other TRAP Range.
So I got into Handgun Metallic Silhouette. Big HARD Kicking Handguns.
And Big-Bore Rifles from the bench.
Had a complete right shoulder rebuild at 39yrs old. Now everything around it is crumbling.

PLEASE KEEP HEAVY RECOILING GUNS AWAY FROM GROWING CHILDREN.

You maybe dead before it effects them in their 40's or 50's, but it will effect them.
I was feeling it by the time I was 33yrs old.

Now the best I can do is a Win 73 with Cowboy Loads. I'll never fire a shotgun again.

Thank you for the warning. My 12yo son was shooting the M1 Garand the other day, and he's very small for his age. He only shot a few rounds, it was a bit much for him.

I know different things affect different people in different ways, but abuse to a person's body can sure come back to haunt you later in life. My wife broke her ankle badly when she was a kid, then 30 years later it started having troubles again. Multiple surgeries later, it's probably going to end in amputation.

I ain't shooting another .454.....Unless it's with Ruger only .45 Colt loads. Or ported.
The worst recoiling handguns I ever fired were a S&W 329, and a Redhawk in .480 Ruger. I have no interest in ever pulling the trigger on either of those again. Ouch!

reivertom
11-10-2018, 01:24 AM
I've had to down grade from 45-70 and 30-06, to a Savage 99 in .243 this year. I have neck problems and can't take the jolt until something heals or surgery.

Markopolo
11-10-2018, 01:26 AM
I had a xbolt 375 H&H’s mag that had a synthetic stock and stainless.. I hated that rifle. Even with cast, my bear loads just plain hurt me. Took 3 guys to sight in. I would flinch before I ever pulled the trigger. Call me a whimp, but I took it to a gunsmith buddy and he ported it. While is was very loud, it was more in line with 30-06 levels and manageable. Turned out to be a good cast gun after that, and the wife even took a 60 in moose with it after that. She couldn’t get the moose to turn broadside, so she shot it through the nose and the shot passed through the front of chest and recovered the boolit under the rump hide.
Very gutsy shot if you ask me. Porting Tamed the 375 right down.

Lance Boyle
11-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Heavy recoil was a lot more fun when I was younger, kind of a manly, tough guy thing. I’m older now, nothing to prove; it’s just not fun to get beat up anymore.

Right now I have a minor shoulder thing going on, some kind of rotator cuff sprain I think. I was out shooting the M1 Garand and K31 a week or two ago, neither of which has ever bothered me before, and my shoulder hurt for a couple days. I may have to lay off shooting anything with much kick for a while.

Yep. I was never a recoil junky per se but I know I shoot more precisely when recoil, gun fit and me having a good day is all together. I have days where my normal garand load was inconsequential and others where my position was different due to a bad pitch in the firing line and I was getting my knuckle into my lip. Toward the end of the match I was nursing that lip. I still scratch my head on that one. Scores were good though enough that the state team guy asked me if I could hit some more practices. Sadly I could not due to distance and work.

These days I have no issue carrying a .30-30 or .260 instead of a .300 win mag. My shoulder was “ frozen” most of the summer. Therapy has it coming back. Qualifying or more shouldering the 870 with slugs at work was a pain but went well enough.

Three44s
11-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Check out the Shooter’s Friend recoil pad:

https://www.dowdlesports.com/Shooters-Friend-Recoil-Pad_p_38123.html

They sure do not look “sexy” but a friend of mine is ecstatic about his.

Three44s

Walks
11-10-2018, 03:31 PM
I bought one of those pads years ago to fit the curved brass buttplate of a Win 94 Chief Crazy Horse in .38-55 Win. The only way I could get target accuracy ooh of that RIFLE was a max load of IMR3031 under a LYMAN #375449 cast of LINOTYPE. That pencil bbl kicked hard, but that recoil pad fit like a glove. A bit hard on/off, but did a great job.
A PAST Magnum pad under my shirt helped a lot.

higgins
11-11-2018, 07:27 PM
I started using a PAST recoil pad several years ago, the one that's about 1/2" thick. Thick enough to do some good but not so thick that it makes getting your head on the stock in the right place difficult.

Lloyd Smale
11-12-2018, 08:07 AM
I kind of chuckle at it too. Ive had many around here claim an o6 is just to powerful and kicks to much but they spend most of the fall hauling around there 12 gauge pump.

Echo
11-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Both Lyman & RCBS make dang good 200 gr molds, the 357315 and the 35-200, that I shot in my Whelen. Gave the gun to my son as a birthday present (1917 Enfield re-stocked and cera treated), and still provide boolits for him. Even at only 1500fps, the recoil is noticeable...

psweigle
11-12-2018, 12:52 PM
I used to shoot a 500 a-square built on a pair of mauser actions, just for fun, as there are no elephants here in my neck of the woods. Now that i am older, my ruger 77/357 is the biggest caliber rifle I shoot.

David2011
11-12-2018, 10:29 PM
If you have a rifle or handgun you really like to shoot but the recoil is too stiff you might consider having a JP Rifles Recoil Eliminator fitted. It’s a gunsmith fit item but it makes a .300 Win Mag feel like a .243. I’ve known people that had them installed on a Contender .44 14” .44 barrel, a .22-250 and the aforementioned.300 WM. Why a .22-250? Prairie dog hunting, 400+ rounds/day, allowed him to be his own spotter.

Tom W.
11-13-2018, 09:42 PM
Most handguns don't bother me. I had a .480 and shot 400 gr cast boolits from it. I had a 2x Leupold scope mounted on it and clay pigeons @. 100 measured yards was no problem offhand. As I was always doing something stupid I ended up trading it. I've had three Ruger .44 mags, two SBH and my current SRH. I'll probably end up keeping it. My first Encore pistol was a 30-06. I put a Burris 2 x7 on it. Trne about two years later I traded that barrel for a .22-250. I got rid of that fast and got the .454 barrel. Same Burris scope. I kept it until shortly after my late wife died and sold the whole kit and caboodle, brass, dies and all to a friend of mine. I should have kept the scope.

You will know when recoil gets too much for you. Being young and brazen does not equate to being smart. Recoil is like deafness. It will sneak up on you and one day you'll start to think that this isn't fun anymore. It was mentioned earlier that some people don't notice recoil when they are shooting at an animal. That is true for me, too. But a rifle that doesn't fit well will beat you half to death if you're not careful. Shooting should be an enjoyable pastime, not an endurance test.

Lloyd Smale
11-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Recoil is like deafness. It will sneak up on you and one day you'll start to think that this isn't fun anymore. WHAT??? can you type a bit louder please!

Land Owner
11-14-2018, 10:36 AM
For fun, my younger brother and I would take his lightweight, pistol gripped, 12 gauge, home defense shotgun and shoot 3" slugs through it. It hurt so bad in the wrist and elbow that one could only laugh in the pain and ask for another shell to shoot! That felt so good - when we QUIT! Won't be doing that ever again.