PDA

View Full Version : Rifle advice

MakeMineA10mm
10-01-2008, 07:12 PM
One of those situations came up today... A nice fellow had a bunch of guns to sell, more nice ones than I could afford. I bought a bunch of older S&W revolvers and some pistols and a couple nice rifles already, and I'm pretty much tapped out. BUT, he said he would hold anything I really wanted for a month until I could recover financially.

So, what do you guys think of these rifles:

Rem. 700 ADL (blind magazine) w/ a medium-cheap 3-9 scope in 30-06, and...

Rem. 700 Safari in 458 Win. Mag. w/ a medium-cheap 4x scope.

They're both in really nice shape. Don't look like they've been hunted with (especially the 458), or if the 30-06 has, it's been handled fairly carefully.

Should I buy them? What's a decent price on them?

docone31
10-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Anytime I find a 30-06, I try to acquire it. Price is an issue.
I am not sure what would be good for the Remington in -06, but I know the 700 can be a real sweet shooting rifle.
The .458, I donno. I had one. It was fun, but I could not really hit anything with it.
Fun for a while.
The -06 is a do everything, anytime rifle. Brass everywhere, any grain weight bullets, a gazillion molds, so many powders to tailor a load.
I guess I like the -06.

dwtim
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
If you don't already own a nice .30-06 bolt gun, I would go for it. It not only has utility, but popularity, so loading for it is cheaper and easier.

MakeMineA10mm
10-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys. Any suggestion on a fair price?

crowbeaner
10-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd start at $350 for the ADL; I haven't a clue what a .458 is commanding right now. The uses are pretty limited unless you foresee an African safari in the near future. Leave room to dicker.

AZ-Stew
10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Personally, I'd jump on the 30-06 if it's in nice shape, has a wood stock and is reasonably priced ($350 +/- $50). There's nothing in this country that needs a .458 Win., but if you're a hard core experimenter with cast, you might use it for a test vehicle. Should be easy to load and might even make a good deer/elk gun with 350-400gr boolits. If you're planning to shoot factory loads, beware of the $$$ and lots 'o recoil.

On the other hand, if you can get the .458 for a really low price because the guy selling it is hard up for cash, buy it and use it for trading goods later.

Regards,

Stew

The Nyack Kid
10-01-2008, 11:34 PM
458 winny ???
thats like the 45-2.5in but with a belt ? hmmmmm......

MakeMineA10mm
10-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, after thinking it over and considering the price he's willing to sell it at, I'm jumping on the 30-06. I don't have a decent hunting rifle in that caliber yet, and it's the do-it-all caliber, plus I already reload for it. Was thinking of taking the M-1 Garand hunting, but this 700 would be a better choice, and cheaper to boot.

I spoke to a good shooting buddy tonight and he pointed out the price of the ammo as well. I think I'll pass on the 458, though it is tempting.

waksupi
10-02-2008, 12:09 AM
I have a M70 Winchester in .458 Win Mag. I figure it is probably worth around $900-$1200. Not sure about your Remington.

94Doug
10-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't pass on a 458 WM. Think of as a 45-70 bolt that you use with cast boolits. From there, you can load it as high as you want. I love my 458 Lott, but have never fired a max load.

Doug

missionary5155
10-02-2008, 04:41 AM
The only reason I would not buy the .458 is if I absolutely could not afford it... or the feller had a .460 or .500 sitting next to it. Why there in Illinois near Decatur just two years ago that farmerīs machine fell in that Black bear den in his corn field. What if you one day need to stop a charging polecat attacking your loved ones. Cut down a hedgeapple... no problem !
I live in Danville when I am up there and these are things I say to my wife when I get that itch...

Blammer
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
and the rem 700 is considerably lighter than the Garand. :)

MakeMineA10mm
10-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I have a M70 Winchester in .458 Win Mag. I figure it is probably worth around $900-$1200. Not sure about your Remington.
I gotta think the Remington is less-appropriate, since it's not a CRF. I know there's a lot of debate over CRF, but when it comes to DGR, CRF becomes a reasonable criteria for judging a rifle. Therefore, I'd say the Rem. is less valuable than your M-70, but that's purely my opinion, based on a theory/belief...

I wouldn't pass on a 458 WM. Think of as a 45-70 bolt that you use with cast boolits. From there, you can load it as high as you want. I love my 458 Lott, but have never fired a max load.

Doug
I don't disagree, Doug, but I priced the brass and ammo for it, and it's just too much. I'd be money ahead to pull the barrel and stock, and rebuild it into a WSM caliber (aren't they the ones that have the same case head as the belted-Mag case?). That wouldn't be as good a cast-boolit shooter, but that brass is ridiculous! :???:

The only reason I would not buy the .458 is if I absolutely could not afford it... or the feller had a .460 or .500 sitting next to it. Why there in Illinois near Decatur just two years ago that farmerīs machine fell in that Black bear den in his corn field. What if you one day need to stop a charging polecat attacking your loved ones. Cut down a hedgeapple... no problem !
I live in Danville when I am up there and these are things I say to my wife when I get that itch...
I didn't hear nary a word about there being bears outside Decatur!?!? That's pretty darn close to me (in between Peoria and Bloomington). Maybe I do have a need for that. I thought about the possibility of some elephants or lions getting loose from the zoo, but hadn't thought of a bear...

As far as not affording it..... I just bought 7 other guns he had for sale, and I'm going back for three more when the wallet recovers. I don't think I can afford anything for awhile....

and the rem 700 is considerably lighter than the Garand. :)
Yeah, but the Garand CARRIES a lot lighter than it weighs on a scale... I could carry that thing all day. I still think I'll whack a deer with it, because of nostalgia. Might do it wearing a WWII uniform to boot...
:redneck:

leadeye
10-03-2008, 09:10 PM
What did he want for the 458? I have two and enjoy shooting them from time to time. The wood on rifles in that caliber is usually nice looking as well.

Echo
10-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Regarding elephants here in the States - I understand the Prairie fairies in Florida tranqualize, then paint the elephants toes orange. so they can hide in orange trees...

Ever see an elephant in an orange tree? See! They hide real well...