PDA

View Full Version : Heart problems.

45-70 Chevroner
11-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Well after years of my heart problems. They finally put a Pacemaker in, today. I am all ready feeling better, just 6 hours after surgery. The biggest problem is that I can't raise my left arm above the level of my shoulder for a month, and I can't drive for two weeks. Well such is life.
I guess I should have added this was all done at the VA in Phoenix. They have taken supper care of me. I am 50 percent disabled from the military so my care there is free gratis. I have medicare and a supplement, the VA collects what those two pay so that helps the VA a lot.

Tatume
11-02-2018, 06:37 PM
If you're right handed, this looks like a good time to take up Bullseye shooting. All the best and I'll keep a good thought. Sincerely, Tom

marlin39a
11-02-2018, 06:41 PM
I just had an ECG. My doctor says I have an electrical problem going on. He will monitor. I feel great, and walk 5-6 miles a day. I guess at 62, things start happening . I wish you well.

GregLaROCHE
11-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Well after years of my heart problems. They finally put a Pacemaker in, today. I am all ready feeling better, just 6 hours after surgery. The biggest problem is that I can't raise my left arm above the level of my shoulder for a month, and I can't drive for two weeks. Well such is life.

I just got a disk removed to fuse two vertebrae together. I can’t drive or even sit in a chair for three months. I know how you feel, but things should be a lot better when it’s all over right! Good luck recovering. Greg

jimb16
11-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the "I'm wearing out club"! I had my first heart attack a couple of months ago. I got lucky. No damage. But I'm in cardio rehab now. They had to put in 3 stents; one med sized and 2 very small ones. I'm 69. Guess we're getting to that age. At least I'm not limited on anything right now so I can keep on hunting and shooting cast bullets. Now if that d**n rain would just stop!

Iron369
11-02-2018, 07:05 PM
I’m 42. Been having premature ventricular fibrillation for about 2 years now. Doctor says my heart is in good condition except for the extra activity. Hoping a failure isn’t in my near future. Looooong family of bad heart issues.

45-70 Chevroner
11-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Yep! Right handed.
I also have stints.
Electrical problem "A-fib.
Conjestive Heart failure.
I am being told this Pacemaker will help these problems but not cure them. I will take anything that will help improve what I have been living with for the last 6, 7 years. I had my Heart attack in 2000 and it has been down hill since then, maybe the hill won't be quite so steep as it has been for a while.
I see most of you are younger than me so I guess I should feel pretty lucky I'm 77.

Rcmaveric
11-02-2018, 09:05 PM
If i dont quit chewing tabacco and smoking i will be in your guys shoes 20 to 30 years. Heart problems on my moms side. Lung cancer on my dads side. Lung cancer on my dads side and heart disease on my moms side

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oily
11-03-2018, 12:23 AM
Keep your head up 45/70. I'm only 60 and arthritis has taken out my low back. We just have to adapt and overcome our problems. Stay strong and don't let depression overtake you in your recovery. Your family here will keep praying for you and your recovery. If you need anything you can always come here and get help. Your friend Oily

GregLaROCHE
11-03-2018, 05:23 AM
If i dont quit chewing tabacco and smoking i will be in your guys shoes 20 to 30 years. Heart problems on my moms side. Lung cancer on my dads side. Lung cancer on my dads side and heart disease on my moms side

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The facts are in. Tobacco products are bad for your health. Time to make a decision. Everyone has the right to choose for themselves. Good luck.

lightman
11-03-2018, 10:48 AM
I hope your new pacemaker helps with your problems. Just the thoughts of going to a heart doctor can be scary!

popper
11-03-2018, 02:28 PM
raise my left arm above the level of my shoulder for a month That's to keep the electrodes from pulling out until they get 'grown' into tissue to hold them.

pls1911
11-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Congratulations, and best wishes. You're blessed that you have the opportunity to give up a month... a good trade for good years ahead.
Buddy of mine at 42 just had heart valve work.... told him to have me over for coffee, shoot a doe off the porch, and I'd clean, age, and process the critter for him.
Been fortunate myself, considering the abuse I've put the ol' body though. Hard bumps and long back country trails a-plenty over the years; never broke anything, but had to have a hip replacement 3 years ago due to multiple impacts.

Work hard on your rehab and you'll do nicely in a few months.

Hickok
11-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Glad to hear you have been fixed up.

My sister-in-law told me this on my last birthday, "You are not getting older.....you are already old!":bigsmyl2:

brass410
11-13-2018, 11:21 AM
found out after a severe fall that I've got valve issues now. Doc says I gotta smarten up, my reply was when he stopped jogging on the highway at night I would consider going in for a in-frame over haul.

Don Purcell
11-13-2018, 11:46 AM
We aren't old, the others just haven't caught up to us yet. Yeah, yeah, that's my story and sticking to it.

Tom W.
11-13-2018, 11:48 AM
I gotta go see my cardiologist @ 1300 today. My first one died, this one is a fairly young woman from the mid-east countries somewhere, and very nice. I really don't want to go, but I have to have my A-fib checked every so often....

mdi
11-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Yep, welcome. There's another club; "Getting Old and Fighting It All The Way".I'm a member. Last week I had cataract surgery on my left eye and the right eye was done last month. I have an ongoing knee problem and I have to wear a brace and walking is still difficult. I had throat cancer 7 years ago and had 4 surgeries and a bunch of radiation treatments (smokers take note!). Some times I'd like to be 50 again, or even 60, but I'm vertical and life is good, even at 72!. I can still shoot my Garand (when my eye heals), 1911, .44 Mags (my favorites), and a bunch of other guns. Just remember this DON'T EVER, NEVER GIVE UP! God has a plan for you...:mrgreen:

pjames32
11-13-2018, 02:31 PM
I've had my pacer for 7 years. Had pvc's and bradycardia. 2 ablations and meds first then the pacer. DO NOT PULL OUT THE WIRES. I broke one and frayed the other. Heart rate went momentarily to 180! The surgery to replace the leads is scary with a full chest crack team on standby in case they tear the heart removing the leads. I'm 71 and feel pretty darn good for my age, I think. Still have a bum aortic valve so not my air with exercise.

Dieselhorses
11-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Should I complain about my age at 53? Probably not. As of last October made 5 years from quitting smoking YAY! Although about 6 months after I quit I dipped off and on, now just doing those pouch things but need to get off of them. Other than a popping knee, a case of stenosis in back and neck and maybe could lose a few lbs., I'm good. I DO SALUTE everyone here past 70! (and even in the sixties) Many of you have illustrated wisdom, patience, hospitality and charisma! Live everyday as it's your last, tell people who you are close to that you "love them" and NEVER go anywhere mad before making amends! Amen.

Tom W.
11-13-2018, 08:31 PM
I couldn't go today. I had run out of some meds and tried some OTC stuff that used to work. It didn't. I had already confirmed my appointment yesterday, but today hit me like a brick . I called and got it rescheduled for Thursday, and I asked if they were going to charge me the $25 cancellation fee. They said no, I said thank you! I'll be getting my prescription tomorrow, and even with Medicare and my insurance it's still going to be close to $200......

jimb16
11-13-2018, 09:03 PM
I'm lucky! Most of my scripts are completely covered and those that aren't are co-pays of $6 or less. When asked how many pills I take, I answer:" for breakfast I have a bowl of pills and a couple of corn flakes. For dinner, a bowl of pills and a spoonful of peas!"

Tom W.
11-13-2018, 09:12 PM
When I was working it wasn't bad. Everything was ten dollars. SSD ain't that generous.

I do remember that after I had my last surgery, which was the day of Trump's inauguration, BC/BS put me in the catastrophic range and all my meds were free until the end of the year....

It's been downhill from there.....

45-70 Chevroner
11-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Keep your head up 45/70. I'm only 60 and arthritis has taken out my low back. We just have to adapt and overcome our problems. Stay strong and don't let depression overtake you in your recovery. Your family here will keep praying for you and your recovery. If you need anything you can always come here and get help. Your friend Oily

Thanks for the Prayers.

45-70 Chevroner
11-13-2018, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the Prayers.

45-70 Chevroner
11-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Thanks to all of you for your concern and pep talks. I have a great wife and she keeps me from being depressed, if you know what I mean :bigsmyl2:

OldBearHair
11-13-2018, 10:52 PM
Praying for all of you guys that mentioned your ailments. My concern is for you tobacco users, smoke or spit. Some people that I have talked to find that I had bladder cancer and their question for me was ,"How long did you smoke?" They had information I didn't know about how smoking caused bladder cancer. On other posts I have told my history of cancer but here it is again. Fought the thing five years as a small abrasion at the exit of the bladder. Last treatment of live virus did not work and biopsies done again with seven of ten being positive. Cancer had spread and fast. I was fortunate to have something done before the cancer got out of the bladder into the lymph system. Nearing three years now cancer free after complete bladder/prostate removal. Scary huh. You bet it is. One week a man next week an it. Not all that bad at 84 years old January 3 2019. Life is good . Shoot my guns when I want. Bowhunt planned after Thanksgiving. Really would like to shoot a big hog with my 208 grain hand made two blade broadheads. They seem to penetrate close to forty percent deeper than the four blade 100 grainers and the bow is quiet and so is the arrow. I will soak the corn to sour it in a trash can tomorrow and the corn under the feeder will sour now with all the rain. Feeder is empty and all the corn is on the ground still.
Need to tell how I quit chewing tobacco. Tried to quit umpteen times no luck! Talked to God and prayed for it to be taken away. I then said that I would not worry about that anymore and went about my business. like 30 days later one morning at 11:30 am I decided something was wrong .... and discovered that I had not taken a chew after breakfast nearly six hours ago. Knowing that I could not go without a chew that long .... I knew God had done it. Throughout the following days and weeks I would sometimes get a "nicotine craving". As soon as I identified that is nicotine, it went away. Didn't have to chew any gum or anything, it was gone. Praise be to our Mighty God.

wmitty
11-13-2018, 11:03 PM
My dad was a smoker and wound up with bladder cancer which metasticised and spread up his spine before being diagnosed. He was 56 when he passed away.

mdi
11-14-2018, 12:37 AM
Actually, in a way when we're sick, all we gotta do is lay there and be sick (plus of course, following Dr's orders, keeping in contact with God). Those who have a load of work are our caretakers. They have it rough, God Bless 'em...

45-70 Chevroner
11-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Praying for all of you guys that mentioned your ailments. My concern is for you tobacco users, smoke or spit. Some people that I have talked to find that I had bladder cancer and their question for me was ,"How long did you smoke?" They had information I didn't know about how smoking caused bladder cancer. On other posts I have told my history of cancer but here it is again. Fought the thing five years as a small abrasion at the exit of the bladder. Last treatment of live virus did not work and biopsies done again with seven of ten being positive. Cancer had spread and fast. I was fortunate to have something done before the cancer got out of the bladder into the lymph system. Nearing three years now cancer free after complete bladder/prostate removal. Scary huh. You bet it is. One week a man next week an it. Not all that bad at 84 years old January 3 2019. Life is good . Shoot my guns when I want. Bowhunt planned after Thanksgiving. Really would like to shoot a big hog with my 208 grain hand made two blade broadheads. They seem to penetrate close to forty percent deeper than the four blade 100 grainers and the bow is quiet and so is the arrow. I will soak the corn to sour it in a trash can tomorrow and the corn under the feeder will sour now with all the rain. Feeder is empty and all the corn is on the ground still.
Need to tell how I quit chewing tobacco. Tried to quit umpteen times no luck! Talked to God and prayed for it to be taken away. I then said that I would not worry about that anymore and went about my business. like 30 days later one morning at 11:30 am I decided something was wrong .... and discovered that I had not taken a chew after breakfast nearly six hours ago. Knowing that I could not go without a chew that long .... I knew God had done it. Throughout the following days and weeks I would sometimes get a "nicotine craving". As soon as I identified that is nicotine, it went away. Didn't have to chew any gum or anything, it was gone. Praise be to our Mighty God.

I am sure that all will agree that we are proud of you. God has been good to me also. I am the only one in my family, that never smoked. ( Mom stepdad, Dad stepmom, three brothers two sisters) I did get a lot of second hand smoke though, and most of the time I stayed out side to get away from the smoke. My two sets of parents and one brother all died of smoking related problems. I when I got married I told my wife, if she ever smoked I would divorce her. We have been married 57 years. We have 3 children living,(lost the youngest one when he was 30), 24 grandchildren, half of those are married and none of them smoke. I guess I was death on smoking.

RED BEAR
11-16-2018, 10:59 AM
yes i know smoking is the root of all evil. now i do have a lot of health problems almost died at forty had a couple arteries 100 percent blocked. damage from oxygen loss due to aptena mini strokes lung blockage from graphite and alunimum and brass dust inhaled. i also smoked 5 packs a day for 35 years. all my health problems none was caused by smoking. the only reason i quit was when they raised the tax under obama. now i am not saying that smoking is good for you but none of us is getting out of this world alive something is going to get you.

RED BEAR
11-22-2018, 11:31 AM
was told at 40 i would never see 50! well in my 60s and still kicking. there are a lot of things i can no longer do. but still manage to get to the range only couple miles away. cast and reload. so life ain't so bad. can still work on my guns just finished reblueing and refinishing a double shotgun . had a blast at range with it. i have a few other hobbies that keep me busy.

Victor N TN
11-22-2018, 08:30 PM
My condolences to everyone with serious health problems. I'm just NOT going to mention mine. It just gives me a headache and you really don't want to hear them any way.

Happy Thanksgiving guys. I hope everyone enjoyed the day.

DocSavage
11-22-2018, 09:30 PM
3 years ago at 65 I was having heart problems,intermittent double beats difficulty breathing, off to the hospital stress test,echo and radioactive die
End result no heart damage but was put on a beta blocker and that solved the problem. Kind of scary when your heart is doing the cha cha while you're doing the waltz.

Char-Gar
11-22-2018, 11:14 PM
When I was 65, I could still hunt all day and jump a three rail fence. Then, I turned 66. That was ten years ago, and I have a laundry list of medical issues. Having these age related medical issues, means we didn't die young. I am not fussing about any of them. They are the battle scars of a life well lived.

Outpost75
11-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Char-Gar, I like your perspective.

I am 70 and think often of my absent friends I have outlived.

I am thankful to have lived this long and enjoy being a country curmudgeon. Sure, I have the usual age related health problems, but currently being managed and are under control. Following Doc's advice is to walk more and eat less. He says get outdoors more and walk alot. So I hunt, fish, shoot, work in the yard. Unplug from the TV. Life is good.