PDA

View Full Version : Find water when needed

OldBearHair
10-31-2018, 04:15 PM
First off I don't want to seem like I am bragging or tooting my own horn. I was looking on Facebook and ran across old friends and this is what came of it.

Water divining by Bill Barrick
Friends that we worked with Nora and Al
Nora: Al was telling a neighbor about your uncanny ability to locate water.
Answer: I haven't used that ability to find water since the time at Girl's Ranch LOL Nora: Can't imagine that. Al has a cousin that we met at the family reunion who is pretty successful but you are the standard by which we measure.
Somewhere in New Mexico, there is a water well still producing since 1985 that started out as an “X” marked on the ground with a nail driven in the X and had an orange ribbon on it , with verbal instructions for the driller to set the core drill exactly on the nail and not four or five feet away from it.

It is an uncanny feeling as the forked stick in my hand begins to bend toward the earth and resist by gripping harder then the stick breaks because of the stress. Lot of folks these days think it is a ridiculous thing and ignore it. I have shown several how and they are completely amazed at the unexplainable force they feel in their hands.
As you travel West of Magdelena on Highway 60 to the Arizona state line, there are dozens of windmill water wells that were drilled when a professor from New Mexico University showed them where to place the core drill. Exactly on the nail and not four or five feet away from it.
Some people say it is water witching and is of the Devil..
Others say it is water divining and is a gift of God. Who was it that spoke into being all the blessings of the earth and made things of the earth the way they are..
Only one of God’s many gifts to man.

My Uncle Jack Barrick was sought after much to come and find where to drill for water. The routine was to find the water signal with his method of divining then mark an X on the exact spot. Put a piece of ribbon on a big nail and drive it in the center of the X.
Then he would go a step farther to tell the driller how deep the water was. He used some small cotton string and cut three pieces and tied three slip knots on the end of each string. Then tied the strings on a sewing thimble and gathered the loose end straight and tied to a longer single string making a miniature bucket. .
Then he filled a ceramic coffee cup half full of water and put I down on the nail in the ground. Standing over the cup he would position the thimble where it was centered in the cup.
Next dip the thimble in the water and it would full . Lifted the thimble enough to clear the water in the cup and held it as still as he could.
The thimble would begin to go in little circles for a few times and then begin to be elliptical until it was swinging back and forth more and more until it began to ping when it hit the side of the cup.
No one was allowed to talk at this time. After a bit of time the thimble would cease to hit the side and became elliptical then round and round then come to a stop in the center of the cup.
Uncle Jack had counted the pings and would tell the driller that was how many feet deep he needed to drill.
The accuracy of the affair was told far and wide in the community. He was a mild mannered man. He accepted thank you with a slight grin and didn’t ask for pay for his work. .

A few people can be successful at feeling the pull whether it be a forked stick, two pieces of a coathanger or even a small fork from a greasewood plant in the West.
Others try as they may just doesn't work for them. Everyone can not sing bass either. Never try to teach a pig to sing. It irritates the pig and wastes your time. LOL

waksupi
10-31-2018, 06:21 PM
I've mostly used witching to find underground wires, and to locate people's septic tanks. I've also used them on maps for various purposes, with surprising results.

OldBearHair
10-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Yeah Waksupi I have done that stuff as well. We were needing to dig a five foot deep ditch around the perimeter of the NM Boys Ranch and deeded to know what was buried there. Went around putting little flags and found that I was right only eighty percent of the time. That map dousing is something else too. Seems that is how the Spanish located the gold from old accounts.

10x
10-31-2018, 07:16 PM
When I was ten years I watched an old an old fellow from Germany witch for water in early May. the willows were budding but not leafed out and he cut a forked red willow branch.
He skinned the bark off of the two forks to within 8 or 10 inches of the fork, then he held the willow by the skinned stems and walked across the old homestead yard his friends son was thinking of building a home on. There was one spot where the bark end of the willow would always point down. There were about 4 or 5 of us kids watching and he took each of us and we held one side of the skinned branch. I could not stop it from pointing down when we went over that spot.
We asked what he was doing, he said "witching for water." We asked if there was water where the stick went down, he said "not likely, the stick didn't feel like it was water." We asked what might be there? His reply, "maybe someone buried something, maybe a grave. "

It is of note that when the son of his friend built his home the Northwest corner of it covered the place where the willow wand dipped down and the old German Gentleman always found an excuse to not enter the home.

shooter93
10-31-2018, 07:16 PM
I have used them numerous times in my building career to find water. Many people don't believe it works but I have seen it way to many times myself. On one property of 15 acres the local geological dept. at the University did a study and told the owner his most likely place for a well. The witcher who knew none of this walked the entire property and stopped within 4 feet of where the University said was the most likely place. I had quite a crowd at my place when we built because my wife's family had never seen one work so they all came to watch and were impressed. By the way....they are not allowed to charge for the service. And the guy who witched my place holds two separate PHD's in Engineering and studied the process extensively.

rockrat
10-31-2018, 08:06 PM
I have used metal rods to find pipes underground and freshly cut forked stick for water. Its uncanny when the stick will just peel the bark off from me trying to keep it in place. Been a long time since I did it. My little brother couldn't find water worth anything, but he could tell you just how deep it was within a few feet. I never could

wgr
10-31-2018, 08:13 PM
my grandfather says that you need a forked peach branch.

DCP
10-31-2018, 08:24 PM
In the sense that it finds underground water, water dowsing does not work.

http://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2015/04/15/how-does-water-dowsing-work/

In many areas of the world, water dowsing seems to really work. In such areas, the location that the dowser points out indeed leads to a productive well. However, such areas of the world have so much groundwater close to the surface that any location will yield a productive well. The situation is like filling a box with only green socks and then asking a magician to close his eyes and use his magic powers to find a green sock in the box. If a system is secretly rigged for 100% success from the start, any method we use will seem successful. The U.S. Geological Survey states, "The natural explanation of ‘successful' water dowsing is that in many areas underground water is so prevalent close to the land surface that it would be hard to drill a well and not find water. In a region of adequate rainfall and favorable geology, it is difficult not to drill and find water!"

Tom W.
10-31-2018, 08:50 PM
When I worked installing gravestones our boss and his son both used bent coat hangers and could locate old graves. I thought it was B.S. until I saw it several times. Then one day the church that I was attending bought a several acre field to use as a cemetery. One of the members had a divining rod and found where we should dig a well. I was skeptical, and we dug the well by hand. It's still producing good water to this day....

EDG
10-31-2018, 09:19 PM
Jajajaja
I saw a few old timers use dousing on my grandfather's place. They always found scattered indications of water when dousing.
The real truth was in that sandy land any hole of of 6 feet or more would collect water.
My grandfather's 150 year old well was hand bored and was only 55 feet deep.
Many, many times we would dig post holes for a new fence and would get water in the bottom of the hole.

Idaho45guy
10-31-2018, 09:19 PM
On my folk's cabin property, they have yet to dig a well since buying the place in `82. That area is infamous for some people getting a 75' well and 40 GPM and others going 700' and getting nothing but $40k in debt.

So we still haul in water and it is stored in a 500 gallon tank. It used to be easier because we are a mile away from a state park and they would let folks fill their tanks at the park.

The water source was from 600' at the bottom of the lake. Then the government declared water that people had been drinking since the `70's was no longer good enough and made the state dig a well. It is 500' and doesn't produce enough water to meet the demand, so now we have to haul our water from 50 miles away. There we have a hand dug 30' well that produced 35 GPM and has been tested as better than city water.

Various land owners have tried water witching down at the cabin area and some have success and many don't. At the price of well drilling these days, it's just not worth the gamble.

LaPoint
10-31-2018, 09:24 PM
Hairy Old Bear, I just drove US 60 west bound from Socorro to Mesa, AZ 2 weeks ago. I wondered how they decided where to place those windmills? An old plumber showed me how to use coat hangar wire to locate water pipes under ground. I was a non believer until I tried it myself. I'll have to try the forked branch method soon.

RED BEAR
10-31-2018, 09:27 PM
never tried or seen it but if it works for you then go with it.

Mal Paso
10-31-2018, 09:49 PM
Dowsers do at least as well as the engineers in finding water in my experience. One fellow in a polyester leisure suit and a plastic amethyst pendant he used for dowsing claimed 50+ gallons a minute 150 feet down when there was nothing like it in the area. He was spot on. I did the well test.

samari46
10-31-2018, 11:09 PM
Had a contractor who was doing some work where I worked. He came into my office and asked if I could get him some brass brazing rod. When asked he said it was dousing for water or buried water,oil or electric feeders. He cut about a foot off each 3' rod then bent about 8" at a 90 degree angle and so I went with him. Sure enough he located an oil line buried in the ground and excavated it. Said it worked pretty well for him just about 90% pf the time. I tried it and sure enough when you were just right over a water line or oil line the rods would cross to show where to dig. Have done it both in NY and here in Louisiana on my property to find the air vent for the swimming pool discharge which was all underground. Even tried it to find the gas and water lines at the front of the property prior to calling Louisiana one dig. My spray paint markers matched the ones when they came over. He asked who did the markers when I told him what and how I did it he started laughing. He said a lot of the older generation used to do it that way. If you don't call them for the survey which is free you are liable for any damage to underground utilities. If someone gets hurt or worse the you are criminally liable and could go to jail. Frank

Bookworm
11-01-2018, 07:59 AM
My grandfather was a drainage contractor, starting after he was wounded in WW1. He witched as a matter of course during his work.

I've used coat hangers to find underground pipes etc. I told my Dad about it, he chuckled. Seems he could never do it, and us unaware of any cousins that have the ability. As far as I know, none of my 5 siblings can witch.

rockrat
11-01-2018, 09:27 AM
I always tried to use Willow for my "water witching". Can't do it on my place as we have a subsurface water table 10' or less. Few neighbors have artesian wells and one had to use a "french drain" to keep the water away from his foundation/house.

lightman
11-01-2018, 09:54 AM
I've never done it or even seen it done for water. There are more than a few water companies around that have used it to find pipes. I've located a few pipes myself. I used a #6 solid copper wire bent into an "L" and held it like a pistol. I can't explain how it works but I've seen and done it.

429421Cowboy
11-01-2018, 11:39 AM
I have never tried the forked stick method because I've never had anyone to show me how, but I do use brass rods to find buried lines. My father taught me as a boy, as his father taught him. It works so well that I trust it when looking for water lines. I do a lot of the general repairs and maintenance at work in addition to my professional job, and have used it many times finding water lines and such when looking for leaks. The first couple years I worked there I did it in secret because I was worried the boss would get mad at me wasting time or laugh at me, but he finally caught me doing it and I showed him, and he couldnt believe it. Now I keep rods ready to use in the shop and grab them often when looking for anything buried.
The best person I've ever seen at it was a lady that just used a screwdriver in her hand. The best she ever did was tell a drilling rig to move over 10 feet from a dry hole and dig to the same depth they had, and hit 50gpm. I'd never believe it if someone tried to explain it to me, and I can't explain it, but it works.

Tracy
11-01-2018, 11:40 AM
In the sense that it finds underground water, water dowsing does not work.

http://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2015/04/15/how-does-water-dowsing-work/

In many areas of the world, water dowsing seems to really work. In such areas, the location that the dowser points out indeed leads to a productive well. However, such areas of the world have so much groundwater close to the surface that any location will yield a productive well. The situation is like filling a box with only green socks and then asking a magician to close his eyes and use his magic powers to find a green sock in the box. If a system is secretly rigged for 100% success from the start, any method we use will seem successful. The U.S. Geological Survey states, "The natural explanation of ‘successful' water dowsing is that in many areas underground water is so prevalent close to the land surface that it would be hard to drill a well and not find water. In a region of adequate rainfall and favorable geology, it is difficult not to drill and find water!"

"Science: The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena." -American Heritage Dictionary.

I find it ironic when worshippers of the religion of "science" assume that lack of knowledge of a particular subject equates to proof of non-existence. Looking at it logically, all new scientific breakthroughs would be fallacy since the world's best scientists didn't already know about the new discovery.

Consider that again: observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation. That is the best description I have found of science.
Contrast that with Webster-Merriam; "Science: the state of knowing; knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding."
That is what most people seem to think about science, but it is demonstrably incorrect.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that just because a group of scientists have overstepped their bounds to claim something doesn't exist because they lack the ability to replicate it; is not proof of non-existence.

blackthorn
11-01-2018, 12:19 PM
When I was a kid, we had an old guy who could find water for you. He used a long metal "crow-bar", balanced on his fingers, held horizontal to the ground. He would slowly walk over the ground until the end of the bar began to tip downward. He would count the number of times the tip touched the ground and that was how deep to dig. He could tell if the proposed well would be a seepage well or a strong producer. In the area we wanted a well he told my Dad that we would get water at fifteen feet but it would only be a seepage well and would not produce all year. He was right. He witched in another area and told Dad if he dug there he would get more water than he could use. At six and a half feet they had to pull the well digger out because the water came in so fast he could not stay ahead of the (hand operated) pump. The water rose to six inches below the top and it never dropped any lower. In later years they brought a pumper truck out from town and it could not lower the water level at all.

DCP
11-01-2018, 12:50 PM
"Science: The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena." -American Heritage Dictionary.

I find it ironic when worshippers of the religion of "science" assume that lack of knowledge of a particular subject equates to proof of non-existence. Looking at it logically, all new scientific breakthroughs would be fallacy since the world's best scientists didn't already know about the new discovery.

Consider that again: observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation. That is the best description I have found of science.
Contrast that with Webster-Merriam; "Science: the state of knowing; knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding."
That is what most people seem to think about science, but it is demonstrably incorrect.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that just because a group of scientists have overstepped their bounds to claim something doesn't exist because they lack the ability to replicate it; is not proof of non-existence.

Interesting comments, case in point. We have another thread here
Bullets in a fire that has a video that proves what the Ammo does in a fire and there are still folks claiming it can penetrate steel. (oh my lying eyes)

quilbilly
11-01-2018, 04:50 PM
I use heavy copper wires bent to an "L". It is an amazing experience but they are the reason we have the best well in our neighborhood with wonderful quality water compared to nearby wells with salt or sulphur. A friend and I were asked once by a local historical society to dowse an old cemetery that all the graves were supposed to have been removed in the 1880's. We found a couple dozen still with remains and one literally threw the rods out of our hands. That makes the hair stand on end!! Later, a ground penetrating radar confirmed the bodies were still in the old graves and the scary one (for us) had three remains in it, a mother and children. The condos/apartments were never built on the hallowed ground thankfully.

429421Cowboy
11-01-2018, 05:36 PM

I'll start by saying I am a scientist with the sheepskin to prove it now, and generally trust scientific principles.
THAT SAID... One of the first things you learn about science, is that the scientific method cannot ever actually prove a theory! It could be a commonly held "fact" that is one day proven very wrong. I look at witching much the same way, that most folks in science would say the notion that you can find water, precious metals, buried objects and so in, is pure backwoods baloney. I however as I stated in my previous reply to this thread, have seen enough evidence to believe in it! There may not be a scientific principle behind it to explain it (and we as humans tend to strongly reject anything that we can't quickly explain) but it certainly does work! I look at it similar to God, where there are all sorts of scientific minded folks that are otherwise smart enough, but can't wrap their head around the idea of a supreme being. I have seen enough evidence with my own eyes to believe, and that's enough for me!
I go with the preponderance of evidence, which in my case, supports the validity of witching or dowsing, and of a higher power! Scientific explanation or not!

shooter93
11-01-2018, 07:10 PM
There may be water down there everywhere but in many places it is scarce and may be only found in one small area as I watched the guy doing on the one property. My area water is down there I'm sure but I am the only one who didn't go very very deep and have enough flow. The non-believers all spent a fortune. Got dirty water and some with very low flow. As far as bullets in a fire penetrating steel.....I seriously doubt that but I did witness bullets from a fire hit a neighbors house and crack the vinyl siding. I only saw something like that once and I was quite surprised but it did happen.

rl69
11-01-2018, 07:24 PM
I've seen it work,but it doesn't work for me.

Tom W.
11-01-2018, 08:17 PM
I have taken a dollar bill and hid it in my bosses office when he was out of town and asked him to find it using his metal wands. He did.
He wasn't a crackpot, either. He was the longest serving Mayor of our town.......

Tracy
11-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Interesting comments, case in point. We have another thread here
Bullets in a fire that has a video that proves what the Ammo does in a fire and there are still folks claiming it can penetrate steel. (oh my lying eyes)

Nope that's not a case in point at all. It's easy to prove that doesn't happen, and easy to explain mathematically why it doesn't happen. Unlike dowsing, we actually have enough facts to disprove that claim. Unless of course we're talking about steel foil.

Tracy
11-01-2018, 08:23 PM
I'll start by saying I am a scientist with the sheepskin to prove it now, and generally trust scientific principles.
THAT SAID... One of the first things you learn about science, is that the scientific method cannot ever actually prove a theory! It could be a commonly held "fact" that is one day proven very wrong. I look at witching much the same way, that most folks in science would say the notion that you can find water, precious metals, buried objects and so in, is pure backwoods baloney. I however as I stated in my previous reply to this thread, have seen enough evidence to believe in it! There may not be a scientific principle behind it to explain it (and we as humans tend to strongly reject anything that we can't quickly explain) but it certainly does work! I look at it similar to God, where there are all sorts of scientific minded folks that are otherwise smart enough, but can't wrap their head around the idea of a supreme being. I have seen enough evidence with my own eyes to believe, and that's enough for me!
I go with the preponderance of evidence, which in my case, supports the validity of witching or dowsing, and of a higher power! Scientific explanation or not!

Exactly.

Down South
11-01-2018, 09:49 PM
I've used the two wire rods to find underground lines many times. You have to watch out for overhead power lines as they will pick that up too.

OldBearHair
11-01-2018, 10:28 PM
As I mentioned #1 about the professor at UNM finding the water wells along highway 60 to the Arizona state line, previous to that , many dry holes were drilled without success. I don't know all the details about that , only what I read published in the newspaper. Some facts about that desert type country and cattle ranches is that should a ranch have one or two water sources, the cows learned how far they could go each day to graze and return for water. The number of cattle was decided by that fact. They measured the number of cattle the land could stand , not by how many cows per acre, but how many acres it takes per cow.
I worked with the State Biologist doing habitat improvement in that area by helping him with up to seven boys from the Boys Ranch. We did various and sundry things to get the improvements done. One of them was to build/weld a device forming a ladder six inches wide and adjusted and fastened with bolts inside the holding tank that allowed animals that fell in to use the ladder to escape drowning. We would build devices that kept the cattle away from the tank or reservoir and drink from an overflow pit. The deer and elk could jump the fence and drink but did no damage like the cattle did. We traveled to over thirty of those sites and got a pretty good idea how big that country is. Someone would buy a big piece of land and have it surveyed and laid out in small two to five acre plots and then start drilling for water wells. Next, the project would be abandoned.
The methodic way the windmill wells were located really impressed me as I would talk to a rancher and he would tell about the dry holes that had been drilled the "it ought to look good 'bout right here" way. In addition to the forked stick someone mentioned map devineing. Also there is dowsing with a pendulum, one example of that was the thimble on a string..... Some people feel that with their hands only. Some people are deliberate to use only a willow fork cut by the moon signs. I have been told that you can find buried things by thinking only about what you are seeking underground. Boy , did I ever open a can of worms. LOL

quilbilly
11-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Cowboy, as a scientist as well, I couldn't have written it as well as you. A couple years back I read stories about the military searching for lost mass graves from WW II at a Pacific atoll. After our experience at the supposedly empty cemetery, I wondered what my dowsing rods would have done. Then again I am not sure I would want to find out.

EDG
11-02-2018, 12:10 AM
I suppose that you might believe in Big Foot if you also believe they are able to avoid being road kill for about 100 years.

Idaho45guy
11-02-2018, 01:32 AM
I suppose that you might believe in Big Foot if you also believe they are able to avoid being road kill for about 100 years.

Plenty of bigfoot have been hit by cars over the years.

slim1836
11-02-2018, 03:12 AM
I have used pin flags that are used to mark underground utilities for years to locate underground waterlines but I never know what I'll find. Take a 2x4, lay it on the ground and walk across it, the wires will cross, same for a mop handle, same for an empty PVC pipe. It's a carp shoot with me.

Slim

GL49
11-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Plenty of bigfoot have been hit by cars over the years.
I watched a documentary about that. It's called "Harry and the Hendersons" :p

waksupi
11-02-2018, 10:50 AM
I have used pin flags that are used to mark underground utilities for years to locate underground waterlines but I never know what I'll find. Take a 2x4, lay it on the ground and walk across it, the wires will cross, same for a mop handle, same for an empty PVC pipe. It's a carp shoot with me.

Slim

For me, I need to concentrate on what I am looking for in particular.

Thikking back, there were usually a few guys with wire in their quivers at 4-D archery shoots to find lost arrows.

trapper9260
11-02-2018, 11:00 AM
I use the fork rod made of maple.I do not eel the bark off, I can tell if it is surface water or in ledge. I had work for a well drilling outfit years ago as a helper on the drilling rig .the operator was usen the rods and was walking too fast and did not pick up the water and I told him i can do it and he look at me as if I could not and I told him about what I wrote on here and I was right. I still can do it now tell what will be hit first.Willow will work also. It need to be of a tree that take in alot of water.

mold maker
11-02-2018, 02:04 PM
I've tried it and been either a dismal failure or really successful. I found a 7c emerald because I looked where the rods said. I've found gold for the same reason. Since that's the only association I have with the blind squirrel, I figure all the dry holes I dug were just practice, or to make me appreciate my few good fortunes. I too think it's the subject of deep concentration that is detected by the rods. Mine were made of brazing rods but in a pinch forked sticks work.
My BIL punched wells for a living and wouldn't start the process without devining first. He'd punch a hole where you said without any guarantee, or where the rods said with a guarantee of a useable amount of good water. Both holes cost the same. He told me that some folks just need a really deep post hole to hide their stuborn in.

Down South
11-02-2018, 09:30 PM

Slim

Yup, you be correct. The wires will cross anything horizontal whether it be below the ground, on top of the ground or above the ground.

slim1836
11-03-2018, 05:17 PM
When my wires cross the spot is usually under my body. Just to be sure, I walk in both directions and split the difference.

Slim

429421Cowboy
11-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Another funny thing to this topic, when I was 16 or so I worked as a drillers helper for a couple summers after I dropped out of college. The driller was a Filipino gentleman who taught me a lot, but boy almighty was he scared of witching. Once I located an underground line we needed to dig up and he knew I could do it, he would stay far far away if I ever did it. Very superstitious and very suspicious of it. He believed in it... but it also scared the living tar out of him. I'm not well versed in Philippine culture surrounding things like that, but I do know he believed in the ability to put hexes and the like on people, and he sorta lumped dowsing in with all that.

.429&H110
11-04-2018, 08:07 PM
All the men in my mother's family could dowse, and so can I.
Uncle taught me Moses was a dowser.
Exodus 17: 5-6
...Lord said... take in your hand the staff... and you shall strike the rock... and the people shall drink.

And so it has nothing to do with witching.

CLAYPOOL
11-04-2018, 11:37 PM
I have seen it done when I was small. Not tried it myself. I be leave people can sense things. i know when i am in the woods there is places i don't like being in. I move on. I also know there is places I will kill deer consistently..? Here at the home place back in my front woods there was a supposedly "Spring" site. Had a extend-aw hoe dig the limit of 12 feet or so. Making water, sometimes fast. Pumped small pond down. We dug a hole with 955 cat threw the sand stone bottom 4 feet or so. Making water back then. Pumped it down the last few weeks. Making water slow again. When we holed the pond went threw sand stone and hit "White Clay". should have made another dip. Maybe a track hoe some day.. Spring has came up 4 feet plus. pond not near that. They are about 50 feet apart..

GhostHawk
11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
I learned as a boy with angle rods. One day dad needed to move our propane tank line. So while he took a nap he told me to track that pipe so we knew where it was and how deep.

Out by mom's flower garden something strange happened, it took a big circular loop 5-6 fee across. So I marked it the way I found it.

Dad comes out, takes a long look, what's that big loop thing?
No idea sir, but it says tis there. So he grabs a spade by the tank, cuts a slot in the sod. Grabbed a hold the pipe and started pulling.

3 turns of pipe came up out of the ground. Too lazy to cut it they buried it. But it gave dad the lenth he needed to move the tank where he wanted without having to dig it all up. So he was happy.

I did have one preacher that called it witching, and a tool of the devil. Put me off organized religion for 40 years.

Way I figure it tis a gift from god, and as long as I am using it to help others and not glorify myself I see no harm in it. The second I try to use it to build myself up it quits working anyway.

I've worked a fair amount with it. Never accepted pay for it. Cup of coffee and a cookie that is just neighborly. It does not lead me wrong often.

I worked for local county sign guy one summer. He had a big grant working on bringing township and country roads up to code. Every post we had to make, call for location services, come back 4 days later.

Just for kicks I started marking phone and power lines in the area. Week later he got a call from county commissioner. How are you marking those phone and power lines so accurately? I don't think he believed him. Yeah dowsing works, if your heads in the right place.

abunaitoo
11-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Many years ago, at the place I worked, they had to change some underground power lines.
Old place, so no plans could be found.
Some young collage looking guys, came with some technical looking instruments to find the line.
Three holes were dug, and nothing.
An older guy, digger operator, asked them to let him try.
He did the rod thing.
Three feet away fro the holes the rods crossed.
He dug down, and found the pipe.
Collage looking boys mumbled something about lucky guess, and machine was not calibrated right.
Never tried it, but if I have the chance, I'll give it a try.
On why, or how, it works. I don't know. All i know is what I saw.
Like I tell my friends, when I fix stuff for them. You don't have to know how , just that it works.