PDA

View Full Version : TC 58 Big Boar

DwarvenChef
12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm getting a TC 58 Big Boar NIB early production (way early, 4digit ser#), and was curious if anyone else had one. What RB did it like, .570 or .575? I don't want to buy the wrong mould to find I need the other. I'll be getting a box ea of factory swaged RB's when I get the rifle next week.

versifier
12-02-2005, 01:24 AM
Right off the top of my head, I'd lean towards the .570. (Depends on what you're using for a patch, too. Most commercial ones or traditional pillow ticking are about .010 thick. OxYoke, TC, and other companies make great prelubed ones, too. They're not messy and they sure beat a mouth full of pillow ticking or squeezing the goo onto dry ones on a windy day.)
Usually, oversize balls - .355. .445, .495, .535, .575 - are for older, worn and/or corroded barrels. They're a real pain to load with normal patches in a good bore and impossible in a hunting situation.
You probably know by now that small, light m/l's like the TC's in .54 or .58 kick like a *!%*ing mule with heavy charges and large bullets, so I think your starting out with rb's is a sensible idea. I put a good, thick recoil pad on mine long ago after a back injury, now it's a pussycat even with maximum charges. TC's are fairly accurate as a rule, and the older ones have twist rates more compatible with rb's, too. Of course, the Big Boars were designed with big game hunting (specifically NH moose and black bears) in mind, so testing with minnies, maxiballs, or REALs might yield some very good results, too, if you can take the recoil. Not that a rb in a bore that big is a wimpy projectile by any means, but sometimes moose are too stupid to know when they're dead, so you have to hit them with something the weight of a Volkswagon to get their attention, and if you anchor a big bear, you want to make sure it stays anchored while you reload. [smilie=s:

krag35
12-02-2005, 02:01 AM
I wanted a T\C Big Boar, but none came up, so I ordered a 58 cal Renegade from Fox ridge. I really like it but haven't found a Minnie that it likes yet. hunting whitetails next week with it shooting RB. I use .570 and TC prelubed patches for a 54-56 cal. gotta center them pretty careful, but they work
krag35

versifier
12-02-2005, 03:24 PM
There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two models, accuracy-wise or recoil-wise. They still make the Renegade, but only with the single trigger, though you can get the double from Fox Ridge and it's well worth the extra money if you are into paper punching. One of the advantages is the many drop-in barrels available for it from Green Mtn., from .32 on up. To say that these aftermarket barrels are accurate is a bit of an understatement, as they have racked up just about every available trophy over the years. Mine will put them through the same hole all day at 100yds, and easily outshoots most new breechloaders at that range. (Probably beyond, too, but I can't see well enough anymore to do it and I'll be damned if I'll put glass on one of them.)

krag35
12-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I found the website for Green Mountain, WOW!!! I really like my Renegade, but it refuses to shoot Minnie's. I have tried the Lee, and both Lyman's 57730 and 575494. At 25 yd, all are going thru the target sideways. don't matter the powder charge. It does shoot RB good, well as well as I can see and hold (3-4" @ 100 yd) I had it set up with a peep, and the double set trigger.
Maybe a replacement bbl in 32 cal would be fun to shoot and plink with.
I will probably try some Lee REAL bullets in it for hunting next year. I think the 1-48" twist is to fast for the Minnie's.
krag35

versifier
12-02-2005, 06:23 PM
The peep sight is the only way to go on a big game rifle IMHO. TC's isn't too bad a unit, either. 8-) Ranges here aren't long enough for me to bother with glass on my cartridge rifles, except for my varminter, but that's a whole different ball game. If I can't see it clearly, it's out of range. GM barrels can usually do better than MOA, if you do your part, and sometimes much better, but TC's are plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. The little ones are fun, and the .40 has an edge over the .36 for targets at longer ranges. I worked there years back and could take home and play with whatever I wanted, plus got to test and sometimes hunt on company time - they're to big for that sort of thing anymore, but it was great while it lasted. :mrgreen:

canuck4570
12-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I was on the phone with TC today because I wanted a renagade also.. and I was told it is no longer in production only the special model from Foxridge...

krag35
12-02-2005, 11:17 PM
That's where I got mine last year, thanks to 45nut's advice. Any one have any advice on the Lee REAL bullet in a 1:48 twist? Wish I would have taken waksupi's advice, and bought a Lyman plains rifle in 54, with the RB twist, spilt milk now.
krag35

lonewolf5347
12-03-2005, 02:43 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/P1040008.jpg
Here a picture of my Renegade flinter in 54 cal. This gun was built from a kit last year,seem the guy I purchase it from had it in the basement for over 30 years.The Renegade is an early production gun has 2 woods screws that hold the tang in the stock the newer ones has the front tang screw going threw the trigger guard.
I upgraded the frizzen to a lyman and the new t/c vent liners are a great improvement over the older type.The hammer has also been upgraded to a taller hammer whick strike the frizzen higher with 3/4 x7/8 black english flint the gun fires every time.
The load I found to shoot the best is 95 grains of 3f goex a wonder wad @ 230 grain patch ball also using .015 walmart pillow material.
The gun will print some excellent groups at the 50 yard (clover leaf)target and softball group at the 100 yard target.I have tried t/c wonder lube but seem to favor my own mix 60/40 beeswax and lard and a table spoon of olive oil.

versifier
12-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Canuck, that's strange as it's still listed on their website. I'd get one from Fox Ridge then, before they do something stupid like discontinue it at the custom shop, too. They all come from the same place in Rochester. The prettier woods go to the custom shop and there they presumably take a little more care fitting and assembling the locks, but they're all Thompsons.

XPNut
12-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Any one have any advice on the Lee REAL bullet in a 1:48 twist?
krag35

Yep, I shoot the 380gr. LEE REAL bullet in my 1:48 twist .54 Hawken very accurate. Mine seems to like 90grs of 3f Triple 7...Have yet to chrono the load but, I'm sure it would drop anything I'm hunting in my neck of the woods!

versifier
12-06-2005, 07:51 PM
That's where I got mine last year, thanks to 45nut's advice. Any one have any advice on the Lee REAL bullet in a 1:48 twist? Wish I would have taken waksupi's advice, and bought a Lyman plains rifle in 54, with the RB twist, spilt milk now.
krag35
While I hesitate to take issue on this, my personal feelings on the Lyman plains rifle are basically unprintable. When I first worked on rifles regularly in the 80's, I learned quickly that there was no comparison between the Lymans and the TC's.
Lyman's poorly working locks, often made with inadequated heat treated parts were at the top of the gripe list. Accuracy was generally better with a thrown baseball. I finally refused to touch them. Maybe things are better with them now. If so, that's wonderful, let me know and I'll take a few pins out of my little voodoo rifle. :evil: I wouldn't bother with the older ones though, except possibly for decorations. Even then, I'd be a little embarassed if asked about it. Just my experience with them, but I seriously doubt that mine was an isolated case.
If you need better than hunting accuracy with rb's, get a GM drop-in for your TC. gmriflebarrel.com Even with the original barrel, I believe you'll get better accuracy with yours than with a Lyman. Older TC's had a longer twist that worked better with rb's, too. [smilie=w:

DwarvenChef
12-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Bummer no Big Boar under the tree, need to get down to the BP shop and snag it..

versifier
12-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Let us know how she does when you've put her through her paces! :D

dkwflight
01-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi I bought a lyman kit in the middle 80's. It is a fine shooter. 1/60" twist. This twist alows me to shoot a variety of loads with good accuracy. My lyman has deep rifleing and I had to shoot it quite a bit untill the patching stopped cutting. The twist only allows shooting round balls.
I had a TC black powder for a while. 1/48 twist and shallow rifling, .45 cal, wouldn't shoot ball or any thing else. Also any load over a light one , the stock would slap my face so hard I would be brused. I could only shoot a few times before I had to put it down.
You can get a 1/48 twist to shoot round balls but the gun will be very particular about loads the are accurate. The longer twists are more forgiving about loads. If you want to shoot heavy conicals you need a 1/28 or 1/30 twist.
I am looking at the Savage inline rifle 1/24 twist. They seem to like sub caliber sabot loads with the right sabot you can shoot .45, or.40 cal bullets in a .50 cal bore.
Just my .02c.
Dennis

DwarvenChef
01-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi I bought a lyman kit in the middle 80's. It is a fine shooter. 1/60" twist. This twist alows me to shoot a variety of loads with good accuracy. My lyman has deep rifleing and I had to shoot it quite a bit untill the patching stopped cutting. The twist only allows shooting round balls.
I had a TC black powder for a while. 1/48 twist and shallow rifling, .45 cal, wouldn't shoot ball or any thing else. Also any load over a light one , the stock would slap my face so hard I would be brused. I could only shoot a few times before I had to put it down.
You can get a 1/48 twist to shoot round balls but the gun will be very particular about loads the are accurate. The longer twists are more forgiving about loads. If you want to shoot heavy conicals you need a 1/28 or 1/30 twist.
I am looking at the Savage inline rifle 1/24 twist. They seem to like sub caliber sabot loads with the right sabot you can shoot .45, or.40 cal bullets in a .50 cal bore.
Just my .02c.
Dennis

I shoot traditional styles only. Roundball is my perfered projectile but have been looking at mini's. I have used conicals in my 50 hawken (1:48) with good accuracy, but for most of my shooting it is PRB's. I can't argue with a clover leaf group at 70yds in my TC Hawken. T/C's Hawken stock fits me very well, I have played with their other side locks and found them to fit just as well. So I'll be sticking with em [smilie=w:

versifier
01-03-2006, 02:48 AM
So, did you get the Big Boar or not?

DwarvenChef
01-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Trying to get down there with out my wife knowing about it, she gets weird when I sped large chunks of money on "Un Needed stuff" HA I NEEEEEDDDDDD IT!!!!. Calling em today to check on it ;-)

versifier
01-04-2006, 03:40 AM
One could always pay over the phone by plastic and have it shipped to where you work! It would already be a done deal when she sees the invoice next month.... :twisted: But Dear, it followed me home.... :violin: It was HOMELESS, what else could I do? I had to let it stay, just look how happy it is with all it's other New Hampshire relatives. I would have been just plain wrong to break up a family like that. I have to live with myself too, you know.... ;-)