PDA

View Full Version : epoxy'ing lyman top punch to fit lee

mwohlenhaus
09-30-2008, 11:27 PM
anyone have any good suggestions on keeping everything concentric and true. the punch I have puts a blunt point on the nose, rather than the sharp point as cast.

oneokie
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
A tough situation to deal with. My 2¢.

Use boolit lube to retain the top punch in the ram, start a boolit into the sizer die so that it is centered in the die. If the rounded over nose is bulged, use a file or knife to remove the bulged area.

Remove the TP from the ram, fill the cavity with the epoxy and let it start hardening. Place the TP back in the ram and lower the ram to contact the boolit nose. (coat the boolit nose with lube, don't want things sticking) Apply enough pressure to form an inpression of the nose. After the epoxy hardens, remove the TP from the ram and drill out the center of the epoxy impression in the TP. Try sizing a couple of boolits to check for nose deformation.

montana_charlie
10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
You can do the same thing with hot glue, and it's a lot faster than epoxy.

With the bullet in the sizing die, and the top punch in it's hole, squirt a good gob of glue up into the top punch and lower the press handle.

Before starting, the top punch should be degreased, and the bullet nose should be lightly oiled.
That way the glue stays in the punch and comes off of the bullet easily.

If you don't like the result...or decide to change profile at some later date...the glue can be jerked out of the punch with needlenose pliers. It usually comes out in a single piece, with no cleanup required.
CM

Ricochet
10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I've done it with RTV silicone. Not too hard to remove later, if you want to.

Johnch
10-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I found Hotmelt glue works well for my simple needs

John

John Boy
10-03-2008, 03:38 PM
... and so does folded heavy aluminum foil

38-55
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
If your using a lee die or a lyman style top punch pm me and I'll see if I can make you a top punch for a small fee...
Calvin