PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk hot plates..

ROCKET
10-27-2018, 01:46 AM
Would an old 375 watt long hot plate from the 70s work ok on warming up molds? Or should I look for more wattage?

The one I have looks like this..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181027/8eb05608d60d77bd30f2aa415b29c893.jpg

ericandelaine1975
10-27-2018, 02:09 AM
Should work. I don't see any reason it wouldn't. Luckily my pot has a tray for molds but i usually forget its got one. Just started using this bottom pour. I usually just take a torch and heat mine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kevin c
10-27-2018, 02:42 AM
I remember my parents having one of those, for parties. It's a warming tray. I'm not sure how high a temp it will get you, but only trying will tell you for sure.

Czech_too
10-27-2018, 03:56 AM
I would look for something smaller and with higher wattage. The reason I say this is because you're going to loose a lot of that heat. If there was some way to contain it so as to heat just the mould...
The inexpensive single hot plate ($10 range) I'm using allows me to use an old metal coffee can as a cover, cut in half and with an opening, which allows me to put the mould w/handles inside the coffee can. The heat is contained within the can and also allows me to put ingots on top of the can and pre-heat them. This hot plate puts out, according to the label, 750 watts.

jsizemore
10-27-2018, 08:59 AM
That looks like a commercial size cup warmer. They usually get stuff warm but not so high that you can't touch it. You need something that's CAPABLE of 400degF and is adjustable.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Give it a try,
when it doesn't work, just watch in the thrift stores for an old "coil type" hot plate, I've seen 'em as cheap as $1.

lightman
10-27-2018, 10:45 AM
You can give what you have a try and see if it works. I use a basic model that came from Walmart that was about $12 including tax.

Grmps
10-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Remember to put a piece of steel on the hotplate to help evenly disperse the heat (I use a piece of 3/8 plate I got at the scrap yard.) Some use saw blades.

Some hotplates can get REALLY HOT. measure the temp ( I use a HF Infrared Laser Thermometer) and mark the setting that gives your desired temperature

toallmy
10-27-2018, 11:58 AM
I preheat my molds in the kitchen on the electric burner with a 3/8 plate - before going down the stairs to my basement to cast . I really need to run more power to my casting area .

poppy42
10-27-2018, 12:27 PM
If it gets hot it work , will something new work more efficiently possibly. My philosophy has always been why spend money if you don’t have to. But that’s just me . You’re the only one That could really say whether It work or not try it and see

jsizemore
10-27-2018, 01:04 PM
I see folks say to put a piece of steel on top of the element and then place your mold on that. I flip my mold over so the sprue plate is against the element. Won't that even out the temperature? Isn't the sprue plate and cavities what we're trying to get to casting temp? Just curious if anybody does it this way.

porthos
10-27-2018, 07:09 PM
never could figure out the reason to pre-heat a mold. i keep the mold on top of the furnace while the alloy melts; and after that, about a dozen cast's the mold is making good bullets. takes a little over a minute

lightman
10-28-2018, 09:36 AM
It depends on the casting furnace. My old Lyman had a cast iron liner and did a good job preheating the mold. If I put the mold on the lip when I started I often got good bullets on the first or second cast. The newer pots with better insulation and stainless steel liners don't heat the mold as well. It takes more than 10 or 12 on my ProMelt. I figure the hot plate puts me ahead by 48 or more bullets. You're correct though, a few minutes and 10 or 12 cast and you get good bullets. The hot plate is kind of like a PID. I cast a long time without either and now I use both.