PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph

GregLaROCHE
10-26-2018, 05:21 PM
A chronograph is starting to work it’s way to the top of my wish list. I’ve been looking at them for over a year now and it seems that prices are coming down. There are so many different makes and models out there that I don’t what I should get.

I’m on a budget so I’ll be looking at the lower end ones to begin with. I just don’t want to get something too cheap, to function reasonably well.

I shoot at an indoor range in the winter and have been told they don’t work that well with artificial lights. I think I remember seeing one with it’s own lights as an option. Will I have to pay much more one that works indoors? If it’s much more expensive, I may just get a normal one to use in the summer.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks

jimb16
10-26-2018, 06:12 PM
You might try looking at one of the impulse types that attach to the barrel of you rifle. You can adjust the sensitivity on those to pick up cast bullets as well as jacketed. Those don't need any light to operate and they aren't expensive. I got one to compliment my Chrony and I'm glad I did.

Carrier
10-26-2018, 06:33 PM
I know you said budget. I was the same as most of my Shooting is indoors and chronograph can’t be used. I was very lucky as my kids bought me a LabRadar for last Father’s Day and it is awesome.
After having one I would absolutely pay the money for one.
However a friend of mine has a Caldwell Balistic and has worked very well though indoor use is not that good.

Handloader109
10-26-2018, 07:17 PM
I've a Caldwell and it does ok. My shooting area has trees and it really likes full sun.. so it misses some depending on where I shoot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

metricmonkeywrench
10-26-2018, 07:35 PM
Competition Eletronics.

Best bang for the buck at the $100 price range and the new models have integrated Bluetooth and associated apps for phone/tablets

jcren
10-26-2018, 07:43 PM
I have the Caldwell with the light kit. About $100 and works just fine for my needs. Occasionally has a wild reading that would drive a precision loader nuts, but i just need a good average.

RedlegEd
10-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Hi. I have the Magnetospeed Sporter (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/896627/magnetospeed-sporter-chronograph) and I really like it. You didn't say how much your budget was, but if you check the link, MidwayUSA has them on sale for about $160. The reason I really like mine is I don't have to shut the range down to set it up, it works rain or shine, and is very easy to learn to use. You can upscale and spend more on the MS V3 (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628777/magnetospeed-v3-ballistic-chronograph). It has more features, but it's more than twice the price at $380. The downside of these are that attaching the bayonet at the end of your barrel might affect barrel harmonics which may affect impact point. I don't usually worry about that since I build a load for accuracy, then check velocities, or I'll do a Satterly ten round load development ladder, in which case I'm looking at velocities, not point of impact. Hope this helps and good luck in your search. Ed

Hossfly
10-26-2018, 07:50 PM
I own Caldwell and chrono that you have to shoot through, believe me if I would have known about the Magneto speed,that would have been my choice. Cost more but for the money you would be better off, you don’t need light to work, you can aim any where, not just in certain area over timers, you don’t have to wait for range to shut down if you need to adjust. If I buy another it will be one that attaches to the Bbl.

Mal Paso
10-26-2018, 09:30 PM
Another member came up with the idea. He strapped 2 of these one to the underside each sky screen. https://www.harborfreight.com/ultra-bright-led-portable-worklightflashlight-63601.html For a total cost of $8 but often you can find free coupons. They are available elsewhere on the net too. Cures outside read problems too.

country gent
10-26-2018, 09:52 PM
A lot of indoor ranges don't allow you in front of the firing line to set up sky screens. They have target carriers and for targets and the line is seldom cleared. You may want to check on this with the ones you use before purchasing. If this is the case then the magneto speed And Lab Radar are your options, since they have nothing in front of the firing line. I had a Pact professional for years with sky screens and it does a good job. but the indoor range I used I went to early and set up before opening and had to wait for range to empty before removing it. I was friends with the owner and a lot of times I used the range bedore opening hours while he was there gunsmithing.

The magneto speed I haven't used but have several friends that have them. front globe type sights may be a problem with them. Black powder loads may also have an effect smoke wads greases. They are accurate and easy to use.

The labradar sits beside the muzzle and uses doppler radar to "see" the bullet nothing on the gun or in front of it. The draw back is on an indoor range the mechanical trigger may be required so other firearms don't trigger it.

Carrier
10-26-2018, 10:20 PM
A lot of indoor ranges don't allow you in front of the firing line to set up sky screens. They have target carriers and for targets and the line is seldom cleared. You may want to check on this with the ones you use before purchasing. If this is the case then the magneto speed And Lab Radar are your options, since they have nothing in front of the firing line. I had a Pact professional for years with sky screens and it does a good job. but the indoor range I used I went to early and set up before opening and had to wait for range to empty before removing it. I was friends with the owner and a lot of times I used the range bedore opening hours while he was there gunsmithing.

The magneto speed I haven't used but have several friends that have them. front globe type sights may be a problem with them. Black powder loads may also have an effect smoke wads greases. They are accurate and easy to use.

The labradar sits beside the muzzle and uses doppler radar to "see" the bullet nothing on the gun or in front of it. The draw back is on an indoor range the mechanical trigger may be required so other firearms don't trigger it.

90% of the indoor shooting I do is with handguns. Even with all the stalls full and others shooting my LabRadar has never missed my shots or picked up others. It did take a bit to get all the settings right and making sure I waited at least a couple seconds between my shots though.

country gent
10-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Ive never used mine indoors or on an indoor range it was a concern I had and wanted to mention it Tanks for the clarification

GregLaROCHE
10-27-2018, 06:24 AM
What do others think of this one? I can try using the small lights to shine on the screen for indoor use.

COMPETITION ELECTRONICS PROCHRONO DLX CHRONOGRAPH W/ BUILT-IN BLUETOOTH

GregLaROCHE
10-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Now I’m starting to look at the MagnetoSpeed Sporter. I was hesitant before, because one of my rifles I shoot a lot has a diopter sight and I didn’t think I could attach it. After looking at pictures of it, I don’t think it should be a problem.

Larry Gibson
10-27-2018, 11:13 AM
I've had chronographs (Oehler) for many years with down range screens (still have all 3 of them) and setting up the screens on some ranges can be a bit of a problem. A year ago I was "souveniered" a MagnoSpeed Sproter. I have used it numerous times and have found it to be functional. I've not had a problem mounting it on most any rifle with different sights or full length tube mags (it can be mounted to the side or on top of a barrel if necessary). I have mounted it on my M70 match rifle along with a couple others having large front sights without problem.

waco
10-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Plus one on the Magnetospeed. If $$$ were no object, Lab Radar would be my choice.