PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullets by Col. E. H Harrison NRA {1979]

GregLaROCHE
10-25-2018, 04:02 AM
I have found this online, but you have to sigh up and give credit card info to download it. Does anyone know where it is available without any strings attached?

Thanks

JBinMN
10-25-2018, 05:33 AM
It used to be here: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/CastBullets-s.pdf

But it has a 404 message that is is moved, or basically "gone".

Here is another site that has it, but move fast to download it as these links keep disappearing for some reason.
http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/CastBullets-s.pdf

That is the only one I could find right now...

I downloaded a copy a while back from the first link before it disappeared. If you can't download from that 2nd link above for some reason , PM me your email, I will try to send the file as an attachment in an email.

P.S., if you are not familiar with PDF files, The download icon/button is in the top right corner of the page it looks like an arrow pointing down. Or you can Print it out using the icon button that looks like a printer. The various icons(tools) drop down when you hover your mouse arrow up at the top of the page.

G'Luck! and I hope that helped!
:)

kungfustyle
10-25-2018, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the download.

JBinMN
10-25-2018, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the download.

Glad to be of help!
:drinks:

Screwbolts
10-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Thank you for the link to download.

Ken

GregLaROCHE
10-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Everyone seems to be able to get this to download but me.

What links are you using? None that I’ve seen here work for me.

Hardcast416taylor
10-25-2018, 10:17 AM
And to think that back about 2K I GAVE an original copy away to a friends nephew for nothing!Robert

redhawk0
10-25-2018, 10:59 AM
I pulled it down with this one provided by JB. I'd offer to email it to you...but its over 30MB in size...likely mine/your email would puke at that.

redhawk

longbow
10-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Yes, thanks for posting that!

Also, while downloading it I abbreviated the address and found the server (?) index. There are several more publications here:

http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/

Look for PDF's then open and "save as" to your hard drive. Some I already have and got from the CastPics old site but some new as well.

Longbow

Hossfly
10-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Just downloaded it and put in adobe, love these old books, wealth of knowledge.

redhawk0
10-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Greg...if you have another browser...give it a try there....or....clear your browser cache/cookies using Cntl-Shft-Del...then try the download again.

redhawk

alamogunr
10-25-2018, 11:40 AM
I have found this online, but you have to sigh up and give credit card info to download it. Does anyone know where it is available without any strings attached?

Thanks

I would have thought the rights would still belong to NRA. Maybe this is another way to raise money. Glad I got a copy of that and the update when print copies were available.

EDIT: I just searched on-line books and found several available. Cheapest was $75. Maybe I ought to think about selling(NOT!).

samari46
10-26-2018, 12:11 AM
Col. Harrison's first book was a classic as well as a second smaller updated one. Both are well read and worn as well. He touched on just about anything and everything related to cast bullets and that is saying a lot. Frank

MT Gianni
10-26-2018, 12:23 AM
Much but not all of the information is available in the NRA reloading handbook.

retread
10-26-2018, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the download. Great book!

JBinMN
10-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Here is a link to read/download the "Cast Bullet Supplement" to the main book:

http://www.nzha.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NRA-Cast-Sup1.pdf

Thanks to longbow for thinking to open up the parent directory of the other link, because that is where I found it,
;)

eric123
10-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Wonderful stuff...Thanks to all for the links...

Screwbolts
10-26-2018, 07:21 AM
Great stuff, thank you for the second link also!

Ken

GregLaROCHE
10-27-2018, 07:11 PM
I am happy for all those who found the download interesting. That’s what forums are about. I, however have tried everything and can not get it to download. Different browsers and different operating systems. I can get the list of other topics from the same sight, but not what I was most interested in.

I can only have internet by satellite where I live and it can be very slow, even though it is very expensive. It does give problems sometimes and I guess this was one of those times. It probably saw the size of it and culled it. At least I now have a way to access it page by page on the internet.

Thanks for all the help that was offered.

kbstenberg
10-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Just for your benefit. My daughter copied the book and put it directly in my comp. So if the location of where the book can be read changes. I will always have it close by.
Don't ask me how she did it. I haven't the fogiest idea how its done.

JBinMN
10-27-2018, 09:53 PM
I am happy for all those who found the download interesting. That’s what forums are about. I, however have tried everything and can not get it to download. Different browsers and different operating systems. I can get the list of other topics from the same sight, but not what I was most interested in.

I can only have internet by satellite where I live and it can be very slow, even though it is very expensive. It does give problems sometimes and I guess this was one of those times. It probably saw the size of it and culled it. At least I now have a way to access it page by page on the internet.

Thanks for all the help that was offered.

The file is there, you just need to use a windows laptop or computer to download the file.

Others are getting it.

So should you, as well, if you try with something other than the device you mentioned before by PM/Email...

That

dmitch
10-28-2018, 01:53 AM
That 1979 edition of E H Harrison's collection of columns was probably the first book that I studied page for page. It got me started on an amazing and challenging art and craft.... a little witchcraft; a little science ! I cast for every center fire rifle and pistol that I own and have more molds that a stable person should have. The fever started with Harrison's book. Is my cased, padded and autographed by Col. E.H. Harrison (#29) Edition for sale ? Probably not..... it still has valuable information and provides great karma when I reread it.

dmitch

GregLaROCHE
10-28-2018, 03:22 AM
The file is there, you just need to use a windows laptop or computer to download the file.

Others are getting it.

So should you, as well, if you try with something other than the device you mentioned before by PM/Email...

That

I’ve tried to download it with windows on a desktop PC and with two other browsers. It still won’t work. I get a blue/gray page and the little icons that say it’s downloaded keep turning. Finally it times out after a few minutes.

I think it must be my satellite internet that won’t let it through, because it’s too big. Maybe I can ask a friend to download it and put it on a USB key for me.

alamogunr
10-28-2018, 09:13 AM
I’ve tried to download it with windows on a desktop PC and with two other browsers. It still won’t work. I get a blue/gray page and the little icons that say it’s downloaded keep turning. Finally it times out after a few minutes.

I think it must be my satellite internet that won’t let it through, because it’s too big. Maybe I can ask a friend to download it and put it on a USB key for me.

I've never had satellite internet so I can't comment on that, but I did download the file in question with no problem. My internet connection is thru our cable hookup. Very fast.

Maybe you can get cable before too long. In our small rural county there are a couple of companies trying to bring "broadband" internet to the county. I signed up hoping to encourage one of those companies to persist in their efforts even though I don't need it.

beemer
10-28-2018, 09:53 AM
That 1979 edition of E H Harrison's collection of columns was probably the first book that I studied page for page. It got me started on an amazing and challenging art and craft.... a little witchcraft; a little science ! I cast for every center fire rifle and pistol that I own and have more molds that a stable person should have. The fever started with Harrison's book. Is my cased, padded and autographed by Col. E.H. Harrison (#29) Edition for sale ? Probably not..... it still has valuable information and provides great karma when I reread it.

dmitch

I have #244 and it's not for sale, at least not yet. I was tinkering with casting but this book kicked me in the right direction.

Dave

JBinMN
10-28-2018, 10:21 AM

Last night I tried compressing the file I have down any smaller than 30+ MB. It did not compress any more than it already was. So, now what I am trying is to split it into 2 parts of 15+/- MB each for you, & if successful, will send you the both of them. I will also, if I can, send you the Supplement one by email as well, but I think you might try downloading it yourself from the link posted above first.
;)

Look for the emails in your inbox later today if I am successful!

Kraschenbirn
10-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Mine's a 1982 edition (3rd printing) and, also, not for sale. Still, occasionally, used as a reference.

Bill

JBinMN
10-28-2018, 10:45 AM
First email ( 1st half- pages 1-72) sent.
;)

JBinMN
10-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Greg,
2nd half of CBH (pages 73-144) sent in an email, & the Supplement in its' own email as well.
Let me know when/if you receive please.
;)

GregLaROCHE
10-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Thanks to JBinMN, I now have it. He emailed it to me in three parts. It took two hours to download, but it worked. Thanks JB.

JBinMN
10-29-2018, 09:33 PM
Thanks to JBinMN, I now have it. He emailed it to me in three parts. It took two hours to download, but it worked. Thanks JB.

You are Very Welcome!
:drinks:

Glad to have been of some help. Enjoy!

jimb16
10-30-2018, 07:05 PM
I still have my copy floating around the reloading room as well as the supplement. I also still have some of the original American Rifleman magazines that they appeared in.

hermans
11-01-2018, 06:12 AM
Seems like I can consider myself very luck still having a copy given to me by an old gentleman who introduced me to the wonderful world of boolit casting.
He said to me to study the book, and that I will need nothing else to master the art of casting......that was before this forum got started!

dale2242
11-01-2018, 06:32 AM
I picked up a copy, #220, at an estate sale in the old H&G shop in Murphy.
I also got a copy of Sixguns by Keith that is signed by Elmer to Hensley & Gibbs.
The price was $2.00 each...dale

jem102
11-04-2018, 06:12 PM
I picked up a copy, #220, at an estate sale in the old H&G shop in Murphy.
I also got a copy of Sixguns by Keith that is signed by Elmer to Hensley & Gibbs.
The price was $2.00 each...dale

Can you folks tell me where this copy number appears? I don't see it on mine. Also, was there more than one supplement. I have #1 from 1981.

Thanks

alamogunr
11-04-2018, 07:03 PM
I don't know this for sure but I think they are referring to copies signed by Col. Harrison. Multiple signed copies are usually numbered.

ak_milsurp
11-04-2018, 07:22 PM
It downloaded just fine to my. LG V35 Smart phone.... Excellent!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

dale2242
11-04-2018, 07:38 PM
My copy is a hard back that slides into a cardboard case.
The serial number and Harrisons signature is on the first printed page.
Both are hand written in ink....dale

mazo kid
11-05-2018, 01:30 PM
My copy is also a leather cased book and in as-new condition. I didn't get the deal that Dale did, but under $10.00 at an antique as I recall.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4911/31864084008_204898bdbc_k.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4883/30795983117_4040219c40_k.jpg

dale2242
11-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Nice pics.
Yours is exactly like mine..dale

abunaitoo
11-06-2018, 04:44 PM
I have the book and supplement.
Got them a long, long time ago.
Did the NRA put out any other cast bullet books????