PDA

View Full Version : mouse fart 358 Win loads

atl5029
10-25-2018, 12:34 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on some mouse fart 358 Winchester loads with light pistol bullets and trail boss. I'm looking to make a load suitable for shooting small game. If you're wondering why the hell I want to shoot small game with a cannon, the reason is during the last couple days of PA's bear season, we often only have a handful of guys left, not enough to do an effective drive, so this year we're thinking of doing small drives/still hunt while looking for bears and small game at the same time. My mag will be stoked with bear loads, but if I see a squirrel, rabbit, or grouse, I'll throw a mouse fart in the chamber.

I don't cast anything in 358 cal, so I'm thinking of buying some 105 grain 38 special bullets from Missouri Bullet Co and loading them over trail boss using the formula IMR gives. I don't want to push these too fast because I don't want the squirrels to explode when I hit them. I'm looking for 1000 FPS or less, preferably much less. What do you think I'll get if I use the 70% min load of trail boss? Can I safely go less than 70%? If I go less than 70%, should I use a case filler? Or if I want slow, should I go the other way and use a heavy pistol bullet, or even a really heavy rifle bullet?

I've never tried to make reduced loads like this before, and I don't have a lot of time to experiment so please, lay it all on me.

Mohawk Daddy
10-25-2018, 06:43 AM
I haven't done what you're trying to do and I don't have a 35 caliber rifle. But I think you're going to get way more velocity than you want with a 70% load of Trail Boss and a 105 grain boolit, like maybe 50% more. 70% in the 358 case is going to be somewhere around 10 or 11 grains and that would probably be at least 1500 fps (estimated), which would mostly vaporize your small game leaving nothing left to eat.

Someone with more experience with this cartridge should chime in, but I think you would be better served with a minimum load of Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique or something similar rather than Trail Boss. I've never loaded Trail Boss below the 70% minimum, but that sounds a bit too innovative for me.
edit: the search feature on this site gives better info than my guesstimations; try Trail Boss in 358 or Subsonic loads in 358.

RU shooter
10-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Ditch the trail boss and give 5-6 grs of Bullseye a go , no filler or wadding needed works well in most rifle calibers for these type of loads I've tried it in 308,30-06 32 spl ,35 Rem don't see why it wouldn't work in the 358. Good luck

Tim

zymguy
10-25-2018, 08:44 PM
I've forgotten the velocity but 11g of 700x behind a 358429 is my go to plinking round. Shoots well in a 1:14 rebarreled mauser A 1:16 re bored 760 and a 1:12 BLR
Whats your bear load ? Whats the gun? I love the 358 win!