PDA

View Full Version : Albuquerque

fatelk
10-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Anyone here from Albuquerque, New Mexico? Anything you can tell me about the area? Pros and cons?

Considering a move, if worst comes to worst. We REALLY don't want to move, but sometimes life just sucks.

popper
10-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Liberal.

shdwlkr
10-24-2018, 11:20 PM
MS 13, police on edge all the time, liberal, I lived in NM for 5 years and the people are nice but there are some issues there.

Wag
10-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Been here for 12 years and absolutely love it here. However, I don't live in Albuquerque proper. I'm in Rio Rancho, just outside ABQ. We're close to the desert, 15 minutes from the gun range out in the middle of practically nowhere. If you have the option, RR is a great place to be. Lower housing prices, too.

The town is liberal, to be sure, but liberal NM is still far more conservative than CA, NY, DC, Chicago, et al.

Bummer that you're having difficulties. Hope you can get that all ironed out.

Look me up when you get here and we'll go shooting.

--Wag--

Char-Gar
10-25-2018, 10:54 AM
I have lived in New Mexico two times and have spent considerble time in ABQ. It is a large place and has all the problems that go with size. On the whole, it would be a good place to live. There will be liberals and conservatives, good people and bad.

jmort
10-25-2018, 11:04 AM
I never "got" New Mexico
Seems flooded with illegals and people who do not share my values.
I will always recommend the Ozarks
Good luck regardless of where you end up.

fatelk
10-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys. That’s about what I’ve heard otherwise too. My friend there lives in Rio Rancho also, says it’s the place to be.

I’ve also heard that Albuquerque crime is out of control, one of the worst in the nation, and that opportunity is limited. I have four young kids and my priority is raising my family, not sure that’s the best place for us.

jmort
10-25-2018, 11:38 AM
With children, you need a place for them, not you. If you don't mind, where are you now???
I was in So Cal and that was bad to an extreme
Does New Mexico provide opportunity and safety for your family???
I am outside of Springfield Missouri.
Would not live in Springfield, but it has jobs and a number of colleges.
Land and houses are inexpensive
Still a part of the Bible belt, and if that does not matter, plenty of sin to go around.
Best State for Second Amendment freedom
Nice people.

popper
10-25-2018, 11:53 AM
The university is one of the problems. Used to visit there on business. Downtown, sirens all the time. One trip airport had to wait on Hiliary's plane to leave. hat was 15 yrs ago, not gotten any better. IIRC, RR is out where the IBM/Intel factory was, across the river.

Idz
10-25-2018, 12:47 PM
New Mexico is a land of contrasts. Snow capped mountains and scorching deserts. Ultra-conservative ranchers and ultra-liberal Santa Feans. Hi-tech National laboratories and illiterate college graduates. It has some of the wealthiest and poorest towns in the USA. Some of the safest and most crime ridden towns. Freedom loving 2nd amendment patriots and crazy gun-grabbing democrats easily bought by Soros & Bloomberg.
Abq and state government wavers between republican and democrat administrations. If you're not in a gang Abq is pretty safe. Climate is great. Cost of living reasonable. If you're educated, motivated, and drug free pay at the hi-tech jobs is good.
With only 2 million people in the whole state (most in Abq area) there is plenty of open space.
Its generally a nice place.

ShooterAZ
10-25-2018, 01:10 PM
I was born in ABQ, and spent most of my childhood years there. I still have a lot of family there. There are some good neighborhoods, and some really bad ones...Same as anywhere else pretty much. Hot summers, cool winters, plenty of stuff to do there.

LynC2
10-25-2018, 03:21 PM
I was hoping some native residents or long time residents would chime in( like Nobade).
I moved here in 2000 for a job with Intel. Yes there is a crime problem here as most cities. The statistics are per capita and as previously mentioned it is mostly located to some bad sections of the city as most places are. Yes the city is mostly liberal, but the rural areas are conservative as are many other states. Too **** many liberals from NY and Cal. moved here. However if you like to hunt and fish, it's a great place to be. Also there are a lot of interesting, scenic and historic attractions nearby. There are also 4 outdoor ranges closeby, an indoor range plus the Whittington Center is only a few hours away. Great place to shoot or rent a cabin with the family to see the great outdoors and nature. Lots of deer, antilope and elk around, not to mention the huge number of hummingbirds during the summer there!

marlin39a
10-25-2018, 03:47 PM
I spent a lot of time in Albuquerque in 2003-2004. I hated the city. Full of drugs, crimes, and illegal aliens. Was there again in 2016. Nothing has changed. I traveled all of New Mexico. If I were to relocate there, I'd look at Las Cruces.

fatelk
10-25-2018, 04:09 PM
The job is at the National Labs and is better paying than the one I have now, but only marginally better, not enough to really get excited about. If we stay here things will be tight financially but I’m not convinced it would be worth uprooting everything to move.

I know I’ve mentioned this before about moving. Some people like to move around, and some like putting down roots a mile deep. I’ll move if we have to because I know we’ll figure things out and get along ok wherever we end up, but I hate it. I hate the whole thing. I hate selling and buying a house. I hate the year of your life you lose in the process. I hate that my wife is in tears when I even bring it up. Just yesterday we scheduled another difficult surgery for her foot, so she’s having a tough time.

I’m also a little irked that there’s this great job just waiting for me, and I’m being actively recruited for it. Part of me wishes they’d hurry up and hire someone else already.

Char-Gar
10-25-2018, 04:30 PM
New Mexico entitles itself "The Land of Enchantment" and for many that is true. If New Mexico can be summed up, it would be the word "diverse". There is diverse geography and diverse cultures. New Mexico has a large Anglo population, a large Hispanic population and a large Native American population and neither has been able to establish itself as dominate.

If you are a person who thrives on diversity, then you will truly think NM is the Land of Enchantment. If you can't tolerate folks different from you, then it is the wrong place for you to live and/or be.

fatelk
10-25-2018, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't say I thrive on diversity, necessarily, but I have no problem with it either. Every culture has it's own positives and negatives, and I try my best to understand and appreciate them for the best.

I'm just south of Portland, Oregon right now, if's that's any indication of what we're used to. We live in a nice town in a rural, agricultural county. We love it here and would strongly prefer to never move again as long as we live. On the other hand, I miss the old Oregon. There's always been the rural/urban, conservative/liberal divide historically with some balance, but in recent years the urban radicals have steamrolled everyone else politically, and we are rapidly becoming California. If they reelect the current lunatic-fringe radical left governor here in a couple weeks, I may just leave out of principal.

Char-Gar
10-25-2018, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't say I thrive on diversity, necessarily, but I have no problem with it either. Every culture has it's own positives and negatives, and I try my best to understand and appreciate them for the best.

I'm just south of Portland, Oregon right now, if's that's any indication of what we're used to. We live in a nice town in a rural, agricultural county. We love it here and would strongly prefer to never move again as long as we live. On the other hand, I miss the old Oregon. There's always been the rural/urban, conservative/liberal divide historically with some balance, but in recent years the urban radicals have steamrolled everyone else politically, and we are rapidly becoming California. If they reelect the current lunatic-fringe radical left governor here in a couple weeks, I may just leave out of principal.

I have never learned anything from people that thought just like me.

tja6435
10-26-2018, 01:00 AM
There is a reason 'Breaking Bad' was set in Albuquerque

fatelk
10-26-2018, 02:15 AM
I have never learned anything from people that thought just like me.

I'm around people who think nothing like me on a daily basis. Believe me, I'll take Native American and Hispanic culture over self-righteous progressive white culture any day of the week.

waksupi
10-26-2018, 10:52 AM
I would look at the Raton or Taos areas.

Wag
10-26-2018, 12:08 PM
Make sure you compare the cost of living from your current locale to the area you're considering here in NM. Some things are just as pricey here as in other areas but real estate is one place where you can save a bunch of money. You may find that your pay increase is worth more than you think.

I can't argue with anything else mentioned above, both good and bad and I won't try to sell you on the move. Frankly, I really hate moving, no matter what so I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If you want a grand tour, I'll be happy to take you around town. It's the daily life that matters most. Traffic, cost of living, schools, etc. Even grocery shopping and gun ranges to shoot at.

--Wag--

fatelk
10-26-2018, 01:14 PM
I would look at the Raton or Taos areas.
The daily commute to work in Albuquerque would be a long one. :)

I'm looking at plane tickets to come for a quick visit in a week or two. We've looked at houses in Rio Rancho and it looks like they're a bit cheaper than here. It also depends on whether or not I'd get a full move package. Without that, it just wouldn't work for us. Moving is so expensive.

Are utilities high there? In our particular area here, they are exceptionally cheap. Combined with a moderate climate, our utility bills are pretty low. I talked to a friend once in southern California and was shocked when he told me what his were, several hundred dollars per month more than mine.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Been to New Mexico many times and I would advise anyone going there to drive well below the speed limit. Unlike Arizona High Way Patrol who will give graciously give out of state drivers a warning, New Mexico troopers will give you an expensive ticket. They regard RTE 40 and RTE 10 as a great source of income.

Wag
10-27-2018, 10:08 PM
You won't get a ticket for driving the speed limit but you may very well get a ticket for driving too much below the speed limit. :)

As for utilities, I just got all four of my bills and they totaled to $95.00. We're in between seasons, weatherwise, so it's a little low. I seem to recall that running the A/C (not swamp cooler) plus all of the other bills in the summer (higher watering bill, too) runs about $150. I have a 1,600 sq ft house with vaulted ceilings and the outside is xeriscaped so it keeps it low. My friends in Phoenix have summer bills upwards of $500 or more just to keep the house tolerable at about 85F.

--Wag--

popper
10-29-2018, 03:09 PM
What will you be doing to the lab? It's next to downtown and the AFB (& housing), RR is on the opposite, north end. Forget any lawn, Sandia mtns get a little snow but most of the guys I knew there went way north for decent fishing/hunting. If not for the mnts and river it would look like Moriarty (hot dry desert with cold winter nites). The outfit I worked with did a lot of research contracts with the Lab and AFB. IIRC, Intel shut down, may be some other tech. work around. Years ago I almost moved to Orlando with Martin - didn't work but Disney and a few small tech companies were the only opportunities. Basically, NM may be the land of enchantment but is it the land of opportunities?

fatelk
10-29-2018, 05:31 PM
That's one of my biggest concerns. I'd be moving for a good job, but what if it goes away in a few years? I have four young kids. They'll be growing up and finding their own way, looking for work.

Sure, we can always move again. I hate moving. I despise it. I can't stand the thought of repeated moves. It was easier when I was younger, but I'm done now. I just want to raise my family and stay in one place now. I know much of modern America is nomadic the way we move around for work all the time. No, actually nomads travel with their community. I'd say we're more transient. Personally I think we lose something living like that. That's just me though. One of my coworkers told me I really need to take that job and use it as a stepping stone to a much better one up the corporate ladder somewhere else in a few years. #@!$ the corporate ladder. I hate the corporate ladder, sick of it. I also have a low opinion of corporate people, from plenty of experience.

Some years back a corporate guy was trying to convince a friend of mine to move with the company. He declined because both he and his wife have family in the area going back generations. The director was poking him a bit about that decision: "My wife would never stop me from moving for a promotion. If I'm offered a promotion elsewhere, she just asks 'Where are we headed?'"
Then the punchline, though he wasn't trying to be funny: "My first wife wasn't like that though".

It's all about that next promotion, raise, bonus. It's all stock price and shareholder profits. I realize that that's all a necessary part of modern civilization, but I don't care for it at all.

Wag
10-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Depending on where you are in RR, the commute to the labs is going to be 45 to 65 minutes.

That would really suck..........

--Wag--

fatelk
10-30-2018, 01:13 AM
I've been told I should be able to find something within 30 minutes. Apparently there are several locations for the labs. I've looked at houses for sale in RR, looks like they're a bit cheaper there; that would help a lot.

There are a lot of particulars that I'm not comfortable sharing on the internet, that would make my situation more understandable.

My wife's upcoming foot surgery factors in also. It's terrible, terrible timing. Did I mention that the idea of moving makes me sick to my stomach?

Nobade
10-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Yeah don't go to Rio rancho and try to commute to Sandia. You will be hating life in short order. Even Los Lunas is a better commute than driving diagonally across the heaviest traffic twice a day. And if you don't need fancy there's plenty of housing within a short distance of the Eubank gate. Plus my rifle shop where you can come for that custom elk rifle you'll need for all the great hunting we have around here.

Wag
10-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Yeah don't go to Rio rancho and try to commute to Sandia. You will be hating life in short order. Even Los Lunas is a better commute than driving diagonally across the heaviest traffic twice a day. And if you don't need fancy there's plenty of housing within a short distance of the Eubank gate. Plus my rifle shop where you can come for that custom elk rifle you'll need for all the great hunting we have around here.

Have to agree. Just the cost of gas will make up the difference in the cost of the housing.

Where's your gun shop? PM me if it's against the rules to post here.......

--Wag--

Wag
10-30-2018, 11:32 AM
I've been told I should be able to find something within 30 minutes. Apparently there are several locations for the labs. I've looked at houses for sale in RR, looks like they're a bit cheaper there; that would help a lot.

There are a lot of particulars that I'm not comfortable sharing on the internet, that would make my situation more understandable.

My wife's upcoming foot surgery factors in also. It's terrible, terrible timing. Did I mention that the idea of moving makes me sick to my stomach?

See my prior post and Nobade's post about cost of housing vs. commute distance. Don't hate life. I don't completely object to spending time in the car between work and home because it gives me a chance to unwind a bit. But close to an hour each way is a bit much, no matter where you live.

And I feel your pain when it comes to moving. Nothing I hate more, especially long-distance, pack-up-all-your-stuff, unpack-at-the-other-end, kind of moving. Ugh.

Keep us posted. Anything I can do to help you find out stuff, let me know.

--Wag--

popper
10-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Commute life is hard on the car, extra gas, fixing rear-enders, etc. I did 4 yrs to Greenville, 6 yrs to FT Worth, couple yrs to south Dallas, another 4 to Irving. Get up at 5am to get to work before 8am. Kinda like a traveling sales job. Nothing like walking the bridge across US75 to the TI plant, but DOD jobs don't last long.

fatelk
10-30-2018, 12:30 PM
We are probably talking about different locations. The person recruiting me lives in RR and says his commute is less than 30 minutes. I’ve done the long commutes before and won’t do it again if I can help it. I love my 10 minute commute where I’m at now.

I’m not stuck on RR. We don’t need fancy by any means. What’s important to me is a safe, family friendly environment to raise my family. I’ve been warned about being too close to Albuquerque because of high crime. Is it really that bad there?

Wag
10-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Crime in ABQ has gotten worse in the recent few years. Thanks to our legislature. Ugh.

That said, any city, town, village, et al is going to have it's better areas and its worse areas. You just have to go looking, really.

--Wag--

Nobade
10-30-2018, 04:54 PM
My rule is don't join a gang, don't steal cars, and don't buy or sell street drugs and crime isn't that big a deal. Theft, and especially of cars, is huge here. But otherwise I've never had a problem in the 30 years I've lived here. There are places I wouldn't live, but now I'm in a relatively poor Mexican neighborhood surrounded by single family homes and have no worries about my safety. Not too far away is the well named War Zone, I wouldn't choose to live there since it's primarily apartments. Anywhere you have those, at least in large numbers, people just don't care about anything. And the big thing now is heroin. Seems like most everybody you meet on the street is high on it. So I just choose not to interact with them. But that aspect is certainly getting worse recently.

LynC2
10-30-2018, 05:18 PM
I live in NW Albuquerque, about 1/2 mile from Rio Rancho. Personally the only crime I have witnessed is some graffiti on a retaining wall and some idiot broke into a mail box nearby. Crime is mostly concentrated in a few bad areas.
I believe Nobade made a good suggestion of moving to Los Lunes if you are working at the labs, anything to avoid the traffic of going throught the "Big Eye" (I10&I40) junction twice a day.
Intel is still in Rio Rancho and has hired back some former employees I'm hearing from some of my former coworkers. They evidently have a new process they are running from my sources. That said, one better have some serious skill sets to get on there now days(like previous experience).

fatelk
10-30-2018, 07:00 PM
I had a great job offer onsite at Intel here this summer. It was technical on-site service for some expensive equipment, and the Intel guys told me that they have a habit of hiring good people away from their contractors. I turned it down because it wasn’t enough better than what I have now, and it was a full hour commute. I’ve already spent nearly a decade of my life in a semiconductor fab.

I’m confident that I have enough skills, training, and experience that I won’t have trouble finding a job most anywhere, it’s just about finding the right job. Not to toot my own horn, but it has been nice to have been actively recruited for good jobs that I could have for the asking. I just have to be picky and find the right thing that works for us. Due to family circumstances we just can’t get by on less like we used to. I had no intentions of leaving my current job, but corporate shenanigans are making it less attractive for anyone to stay. They’re driving their best people off at a time of historically low unemployment.

At this moment in time we’re leaning strongly towards not moving. That may end up being a mistake but time will tell.

Wag
10-31-2018, 10:25 AM
At this moment in time we’re leaning strongly towards not moving. That may end up being a mistake but time will tell.

It's something you can never tell before hand. Your crystal ball is no better than anyone else's out there so it's basically just a roll of the dice. Also, long-term employment is a thing of the past. Average length of time on a job now is about three years (as I recall). The days of 30 years on the job and then retirement are a thing of the past. You'll see a cop or military guy now and then who stays with it for 20+ years but in the private sector, it's not like it used to be.

That said, changing jobs is really the best way to get a substantial pay raise. You may find that if you poke around a little, you'll find jobs paying enough more than you make now to make a move not only tolerable but even desirable. Get on Indeed.com for a while some evening and see what's out there. That may be a bad idea, actually.........! You might get tempted!

But there are far too many variables for you to know if you made a mistake, either way. The point of saying that, of course, is once you make a decision, never second-guess yourself. Just be happy about it. That doesn't mean that if you get head-hunted again some time down the road that you shouldn't look again. Circumstances can change to make the new offer better.

Having said that, have you actually figured out what your price is? That is, how much pay would it actually take for you to make the decision to move? All else remaining equal, of course. And have you made a counter offer to the new employer saying something like, "I love the opportunity but the price is a little low. Would you consider $xx,xxx?" Of course, that can put you where you have to make a decision. :)

Honestly, you have a problem that's good to have.

--Wag--

fatelk
10-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Thank you. I understand what you are saying about the transient nature of the modern American workforce. I’ve seen it plenty of times. I’ve had friends and coworkers come and go over the years. I could have gone much further in my career if I was willing to move around. I’m not though. That’s not what we want out of life. Maybe what we want out of life just isn’t realistic anymore.

popper
10-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Also consider the political landscape. As you are in fab business, most are offshore but there is a push to get more done here. Defense work is cyclical, as is plant construction. As an example, Sandia will always have some work, but if Intel laid off a bunch, would it be job competition for you? Do you have talents/experience that is needed at other Co. in the area? Iv'e known a lot of Phds that ended up 'selling shoes' as they were overqualified. Yes, you need to know the Co. package and if they are 'buying' talent or bodies. Interviewed for a job once, spoke with the dept manager and found I would be a replacement - asked why - big manager chased others off.
On ther other hand, depending on how you would fit into Sandia org., might be a really good move. IIRC the 'rule' for being 'bought' was 10% min + relocate package.
Hope all goes well for you in the decision.

jmort
10-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Albuquerque seems like a place for a family to avoid, yikes
https://www.areavibes.com/albuquerque-nm/crime/

Rio Rancho seems nice
https://www.areavibes.com/rio+rancho-nm/livability/?ll=35.23275+-106.66305

fatelk
10-31-2018, 02:37 PM
The job is onsite, but not working for Sandia. I’m intimately familiar with the company, and the manager is a long time friend. My work isn’t really fabrication per se, more industrial, technical, chemicals, controls and electronics.

This is probably all for naught anyhow. I just told him not to hold it for me if they have someone else that’s a good fit. I’m just not comfortable with a move right now, my wife is upset at the mention of it, and as good of opportunity as it is I just can’t commit to it right now. We’ll see where that goes.

Wag
11-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you've made a decision. That's the plus. You can stop worrying about it now!

Good fortune to you going forward.

--Wag--

fatelk
11-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Thank you, and thanks everyone for all the input and advice.

I’m a little embarrassed at having aired my personal worries and problems on a public forum. As I get older it really weighs on me just how much decisions like this will affect our lives for decades to come. I fully understand I might have just passed up something good, but that’s life.

blackthorn
11-01-2018, 11:52 AM
No need to be embarrassed at all. Sometimes getting to hear what others have experienced or think helps to clear your perception(s) of what is going on in your circumstances. And don't forget we are part of your extended family and are glad to help (if we can) in whatever form that may take.

Nobade
11-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Yep, that's why I think most of us are here. To learn and share so others can benefit. Plus be entertained of course.

Wag
11-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Always a good idea to get the input of others on big questions and we're more than happy to help.

Glad you came to a conclusion and I hope you're able to move on without further worry. Never second-guess your decision!

--Wag--

fatelk
11-04-2018, 12:08 AM
The relief on my wife's face after the decision tells me we made the right decision (I hope). Now I just have to figure out a way to make same extra money to make ends meet here. I'll be facing a pay cut implemented over the course of a couple years to stay here.

A big advantage of where I'm at now is spare time. Instead of wasting my time loading and casting, I really need to figure out a way to use my spare time to earn some extra income.

bbogue1
11-04-2018, 02:13 AM
I have found that in many decisions there is a kernel of new direction. Take a look at what works in yoiur life and gives you the reward you desire. There is a good idea in there somewhere. Take time to do a T chart by taking a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. Put all the cons of the issue on one side and all the pro's on the other. Take a couple of days to review all angles. It is amazing how much clarity comes just by writing it all down. Once you head in a direction go in that direction with gusto. Remember -- no one knows what's going on unless you tell them, so, ask a creative person to monitor you as you proceed.

Wag
11-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Consulting. Put your name out there and get some clients. If you do something that you can do from home, you may not even have to drive to most clients' place of business! Regardless, if you do, make you price your services right. I suggest at least double what you get paid at work because you're going to have to pay self-employment taxes on that income. But you can deduct business expenses which is a very good thing and if you do drive around to places, you can deduct mileage costs.

If things go well, you could end up making the consulting gigs your business and you can leave your regular job.

Not a fantasy, either. Give it some serious thought.

--Wag--

fatelk
11-04-2018, 06:28 PM
I've heard that suggestion before and looked into it a little, but wouldn't have the slightest idea where to start or what to do. I'm an operations guy, don't know that I'd be much for consulting.

We've done some Ebay sales here and there; my wife's been looking at picking that up and finding something to sell on a more commercial basis. Right now we're getting ready for another foot surgery for her in a couple weeks. It's going to be a rough winter, but we'll figure something out. We've been through worse.

Wag
11-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Hang in there. My best to you and your honey and I hope it all goes well.

--Wag--