PDA

View Full Version : Range Scrap BHN

GregLaROCHE
10-23-2018, 01:26 PM
I recently got a Lee hardness tester. I tested my range scrap boolits with it and find it hard to believe it’s so hard. 16-18 BHN. I must admit I have not mastered the tester and don’t find it that easy to use yet. However, I didn’t expect to find it so hard.

What BHN for range scrap do others come up with? I realize it can vary a lot, even at the same range, from time to time. Some people say boolits are generally harder than ingots. I can’t test my ingots of range scrap or pure lead, because I can’t fit them in my press. Next time I pour ingots, I plan to make a few smaller ones to test.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-23-2018, 01:44 PM
I bought some Range scrap from a member here, that batch is kind of soft, around 9 BHN.
When I 'hand-pick' boolits off the ground at the Range, in front of the pistol Pit backstop, I usually get a hardness around 12 BHN.

Kraschenbirn
10-23-2018, 01:55 PM
Everything in my stockpile of 'range scrap' was recovered from the 25-yard berm of an outdoor range. After skimming out the dirt, bullet jackets, etc. and fluxing, my ingots test consistently around 9-10 Bhn if measured with 24-48 hours after being cast. I'm certain they most likely harden further with age but have never bothered to check because I use RS only as base for my handgun alloys. I agree that the Lee Hardness Tester can be a PITA until you develop a consistent technique but, once you're got it down, you can obtain pretty reliable results.

Bill

Grmps
10-23-2018, 02:00 PM
It all depends on what people are shooting.

scrap commercial cast will run around15 BHN

jacketed bullets closet to 6.

For best results with the Lee hardness tester, file/scrape the testing surface smooth first

build a stand of some sort to hold it (this can be as simple as a hole in a paper cup with a large notch in one side to let the light in.

Search Lee Hardness tester at the top right of the forum

engineer401
10-23-2018, 03:07 PM
According to my Cabinetree tester the hardness comes in between 9 and 10.

Larry Gibson
10-23-2018, 03:28 PM
The BHN of range scrap will vary because the alloy of the recovered alloy is dependent on what the alloy was of the bullets that created the "scrap". I have range scrap recovered from a range where only 22 RF and pellet rifles were allowed. The BHN runs 6 - 7. Conversely I have a lot of range scrap recovered from indoor ranges where a large amount of commercial hard cast pistol bullets and jacketed bullets were used. That alloy has a high 5 of antimony (10 - 11%) and thus the BHN runs 15 - 17.

mdi
10-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Yep, as noted above, it depends on what was being shot. A lot of 22 rimfire shooting results in a softer alloy. Also if a lot of jacketed bullets are "melted" the alloy seems to be pretty soft. If there are some casters shooting the alloy goes up in hardness.

I have a Lee tester, but I could not get comfortable with the "microscope". So, I use my magnifying visor and dial calipers to measure the dent and that has worked quite well for me. I compared some alloy that was "certified" BHN against my readings and came very close (Roto Metals alloy BHN)...

GregLaROCHE
10-23-2018, 04:05 PM
The BHN of range scrap will vary because the alloy of the recovered alloy is dependent on what the alloy was of the bullets that created the "scrap". I have range scrap recovered from a range where only 22 RF and pellet rifles were allowed. The BHN runs 6 - 7. Conversely I have a lot of range scrap recovered from indoor ranges where a large amount of commercial hard cast pistol bullets and jacketed bullets were used. That alloy has a high 5 of antimony (10 - 11%) and thus the BHN runs 15 - 17.

I think you hit the nail on the head. « Hard cast pistol bullets » Most of the lead came from a 25 yard range where jacketed bullets were not allowed. I don’t shoot there, but I think most are shooting hand guns. I didn’t realize the lead boolits were so hard. That gives me a little more confidence in my ability to use the Lee tester.

Forrest r
10-24-2018, 05:47 AM
I've used/shot range scrap since 1990 from outdoor ranges. Rendering down smaller amounts/batches with result in wide swings in the alloy's bhn. When I switched to making #100 pots/ingots/finished product the alloys evened out.

Air cooled range scrap ='s 8/9bhn
water dropped range scrap ='s 12/13bhn

trapper9260
10-24-2018, 05:57 AM

I seen this also for all Larry wrote. It all depend on what is used .When I get all my range alloy done up I always test it to see what it is and go from there.Some times I just use it as is.

LenH
10-24-2018, 08:46 AM
The range scrap I get is about 9.0 BNH, from an out door range. Most is jacketed with a few cast throne in the mix.
I generally treat it as pure and add lino or mono with a bit of tin.

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-24-2018, 09:05 AM
I separate my range scrap into jacketed and cast. The cast stuff is pretty hard (don't know the exact BHN - I'd guess around 15ish). I always assume the jacketed lead is pure lead (or close). I smelt them separately and add them to the pot in a ratio that gives me what I want. So I wouldn't be surprised in your scrap is hard if it's mostly cast.

Petander
10-25-2018, 11:19 AM
I melted some 22/J -range scrap this summer and forgot to mark/label the ingots. "I will remmber that pile is soft" Yeah right.

No problem,it is so soft that a tap with a screwdriver will identify it,especially when you have harder ingots to compare with. This scrap is Around 6-8 BHN as already mentioned above.

fredj338
10-25-2018, 07:29 PM
Most outdoor range scrap will fall between 9-10bhn. it is a mix of lead cores & alloy bullets. I am betting a the lee is a bit off.