PDA

View Full Version : Mold quality

10x
10-23-2018, 08:41 AM
A few minutes with the micrometer and I have discovered that bullets from CNC produced multi cavity molds are extremely consistent. I was measuring to see how much my new "discount tool store" powder coat increased the diameter of the cast bullet after application.
I discovered that on good cast bullets the mold block lines are hard to find, they are so close to round it is unbelievable, and cavity size seems to be within 0.0005" or less on a 4 cavity mold. Alloy temperature and mold block temperature cause more variation in diameter than the difference between cavities in a quality CNC machined mold.

This is true of NOE Molds and Accurate molds 229273

DocSavage
10-23-2018, 11:36 AM
I've molds from both companies and they are the nicest mold blocks I've ever seen.

ioon44
10-24-2018, 08:39 AM
I have a 5 cav Accurate NLG mold and all 5 cavity's are very consistent, and a pleasure to cast with.

fredj338
10-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Yep I think cnc molds are the way to go. The cherry used to cut other molds wears with each pass, so maintaining tolerance in a multi cav mold, very difficult.

bosterr
10-25-2018, 08:58 PM
I'm waiting for my Accurate Mold #8 to be cataloged and then get it ordered. Tom's molds are the only ones I buy now. I do have one made by NOE that works great and a couple others not even worth mentioning.

Mitch
10-25-2018, 09:59 PM
I find the same with LBT and MP molds allthe mold makers mentioned here make some very nice molds

10x
10-25-2018, 10:11 PM
I'm waiting for my Accurate Mold #8 to be cataloged and then get it ordered. Tom's molds are the only ones I buy now. I do have one made by NOE that works great and a couple others not even worth mentioning.

Al at NOE makes some incredible products, including molds.

jmort
10-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Accurate
Mihec
NOE
In that order for me.

Mr Peabody
10-25-2018, 11:12 PM
Arsenal Molds will stand with anything out there for uniformity and consistency, don't sell them short. I use NOE and Accurate too.

10x
10-26-2018, 07:27 AM
Accurate
Mihec
NOE
In that order for me.

Arsenal Molds will stand with anything out there for uniformity and consistency, don't sell them short. I use NOE and Accurate too.

I really don't think the quality of the product of these companies can be ranked - I have molds from all of them and they are all extremely high quality.

Wasalmonslayer
10-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Guys we live in a casting hay day so to speak. All the makers that are out there right now do an incredible job!!!
NOE, MP, Accurate, Arsenal, LBT all these guys make great molds I have a few From each one and all there customer service is great!!
I have had dealings with each one personally and they are all very stand up guys that believe in taking care of there customers!!