PDA

View Full Version : Wheelweights

Gene Perryman
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Is $50.00 for a five gallon bucket of wheelweights a good price?

Gene Perryman:Fire:

Namerifrats
09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I would think that's way too high. $20 is the most I've ever paid. I can usually find them for $10-$15 fo a full bucket though. Sometimes even free, but thats getting hard to do.

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Gene,
$20.00 is a good price. I have paid $30.00
Free is better. I have found large differences in price in my driving area. I suggest that you check other places for their price.
Roger

Bullshop
09-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Check back in December, might be a differant story.
BIC/BS

compass will
09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I think I would walk unless I was hard up. Most I offer is 30 so far.

but last I checked, I think mixed lead was going for 47c per lb, and the buckets I buy seem to run around 130 lbs.

GabbyM
09-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Mixed lead today is .40 LTL lead wheel wieghts are .26 LTL.

That lead price is up around 7 cents the last couple of months.

If those tire shops took their WW's into the salvage yard they'd be paid around 5 cents per pound for them.

John Boy
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
A scalper's price! Go to a scrap yard. Fifty bucks will buy you 83#'s of sheet lead for $50

Blammer
09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
yea too high, go to a scrap yard they have it cheaper.

jawjaboy
09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Until about 2 months ago, $25 per full 5gal bucket was the high end in my rounds. The last bucket that I got from dealer X went from $25 to $35. I already had the bucket in the truck. I told them that I'd pay it this time, but never again.

I stopped at dealer Z about a month ago, he wanted $35 also. Told him that I would give him $25. He wizzed and moaned, but I got 'em for $25.

I've gotten them for free, and up to $35 now. Dealer X and Y's hired hands do me really well with nice, trash free ww's. I don't mind paying a lil extra for that too much.

But not $35. Not me. :roll:

Down South
09-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I’ve paid $20 per bucket full a couple times but I’d not go any higher than that.

Old Ironsights
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I've got one "regular" at $20 and one that charges what he can get from the scrap yard.

I'm sitting on about 1000lbs raw right now. Need to get smelting. I'm out of buckets.

crabo
09-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Our scrap yards are running 85 cents a pound.

alamogunr
09-30-2008, 06:09 PM

I suspect that most of us are embarrassed to admit that WW are more expensive than they used to be. Only those who still get them free or for $25/5 gal or less are posting. Between clean WW and clean range scrap, I've got about 2 tons of material. Most places I got WW for .15/lb in the past won't even talk to me now. If I could find a good deal on alloy I wouldn't bother to smelt WW again. Too much trash and dirt to contend with. If my resolve doesn't weaken, I may sell my smelting setup next spring. I guess it depends on how much casting I do this winter.
John

Old Ironsights
09-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Is that their SELLING price?

Find out their BUYING price... then offer the same or a few pennies more to the Local (non-corporate) wheel shops... AND "offer" to pick it up at "no charge".

It also helps to make up a business card that declares you to be in the "Hazardous Waste Reclamation" business. ;)

Works for me... at least when I have a little money to spend.

Alchemist
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Just picked up my car from getting the wheels aligned...asked the guy if they had any WWs they might part with, and got 1/2 bucket for free! [smilie=w:

Sorted through them when I got home, and got to thinking....anybody tried stripping the rubber off the valve stems? The inside is brass; and with the high price of scrap, it would add up after a while.

runfiverun
09-30-2008, 07:24 PM
our scrap yard was .50 per lb for ww's
.45 for "soft lead" and .65 for lino-type
if you bought a bunch.

Y2K
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
No problem "stripping" the rubber off valve stems. Just put in a coffee can on your smelting fire. DO NOT repeat, DO NOT go downwind.

shotman
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
fee bay has been a factor in the ww deal they see what they are selling for [$1 lb] on ebay so eveyone is into it rick

Leadforbrains
09-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Keep looking. I went by three tire shops and filled up another 5 gal bucket today for free.

randyrat
09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Just picked up my car from getting the wheels aligned...asked the guy if they had any WWs they might part with, and got 1/2 bucket for free! [smilie=w:

Sorted through them when I got home, and got to thinking....anybody tried stripping the rubber off the valve stems? The inside is brass; and with the high price of scrap, it would add up after a while. Burn the rubber off them after a few years of collecting you could have a nice pile of brass.

chewie
09-30-2008, 11:03 PM
haven't bought any yet but on the central oregon doast they wasnt $25.00 a bucket.

people talk about lino-type? i know what it is. but is it pure lead? and where would you find it? i thought they used years ago to print newspapers.

chewie

GabbyM
10-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Lino is 6% tin and 12% antimony when new. Used it will have lost some. It's getting rare but you can buy it new from the foundry. I've seen used ingots sell on ebay for more than I could buy it new in StLouis. But not every one lives two hours from a foundry. :-P

$25 for a bucket would be good.
I've offered 50 cents a pound to one shop lst winter and they scoffed at me. I know for a fact he took it to the salvage yard I go to. They paid him a nickle. I bought it from them for 33 cents along with 1,000 more lbs. but I'll bet he felt good for keeping it from me. :takinWiz:

alamogunr
10-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Lino is 6% tin and 12% antimony when new. Used it will have lost some. It's getting rare but you can buy it new from the foundry. I've seen used ingots sell on ebay for more than I could buy it new in StLouis. But not every one lives two hours from a foundry.

Gabby, Although I'm in West TN, I'm only about 4 hours from south St. Louis. What is the deal on buying from the foundry? I've often wondered if It would be possible to pull a utility trailer to a foundry and buy from the source. Do you specify what you want? Do you have to take what they have at the time? What are minimum qtys? Any info would be appreciated.

John

kooz
10-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Gene Perryman:Fire:

I pay the local tire guy $.30/lb ,so I pay $50 for a #150 bucket, but he keeps the weights spotless, not so much as a gum wrapper will be in the buckets that I get from him, he saves them only for me and calls me when the bucket is full. I have thought about renegotiating since lead has come down, but don't want to screw up a pretty good set up. So I guess it depends on the situation, if you are getting a full clean bucket of weights at or above #150, then you are still doing better than going to the scrap yard or buying the stuff sold here on this site @ $.65-$1/lb (and don't really know what your getting) and your not having to drive all over the place scrounging, which can easily burn up several dollars in fuel. A full bucket of clean weights makes a lot of bullets.

HamGunner
10-01-2008, 01:43 PM
I have not had much luck finding a lot in my location, unless I am willing to pay for it. Some of the small shops might give what little bit they have away for free, but it would take a lot of gas to scrouge much up like that. Most of the shops have made deals either with someone else or with recyclers.

I recently had to pay $50 for a heaping bucket full and had to sweet talk the guy a bit in order to even buy them. I need to start calling around a few miles farther away and maybe I can find a larger tire shop that is too far from the recyclers to want to haul.

I did locate some Linotype type metal for $65/100 lbs. and I bought all that he had.