PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Lubes

BABore
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
If you have a firearm shooting a specific hardness of bullet, at a specific velocity, does the brand or type of bullet lube it likes best have more to do with the firearm's barrel or the bullet?

My reason for asking such a question is in regards to my 480 Ruger SRH. My first mould was a Lee 476-325. I worked up 1,300 to 1,400 fps loads with 2400, WW296, and Lil Gun using FWFL and homemade Sta-Lube EHP moly-graphite grease 50/50 with beeswax. In all cases the Sta-Lube/beewax shot more accurately. I'm now ready to work up some loads for a new Mnt. Mold 400 gr WFNGC bullet. Should I go through the same workups, or eliminate the FWFL from contention? The bullet's weight is different, has alonger bearing surface, and definitely has deeper lube grooves.

felix
12-01-2005, 02:17 PM
BAB, you know not for sure until you try it per application. A sleve bearing of any type is dependent on the two objects surrounding the bearing, a boolit and a barrel in our situation. Keep in mind that the bearing must be tuned per the application. ... felix

versifier
12-01-2005, 08:40 PM
BAB, Every barrel is a new universe. Take two that come off of the assembly line sequentially. Have the same person chamber and fit them to identical actions with the same tooling. Odds are they will have the same GENERAL preferences, but dollars to donuts each will show optimum accuracy with different component combinations. The only way to find out is to keep experimenting. Let's face it, if you weren't a tinkerer, too, by inclination, you'd be shooting factory ammo with a foolish grin on your face like 99% of the shooters out there. But you're not, and you want to know the WHY of things. The foolish grin only shines on our faces when we finally hit on the right combination. Then, of course, someone else asks another question... and off we go again! Enjoy the ride!

buck1
12-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Dont forget the outside temp. What is good in hot or cold may or may not be good for the other. fwfl is sure great stuff, I would walk away from it only after lots of tests...FWIW....Buck

1Shirt
12-02-2005, 12:50 AM
BAB, it is my never to be humble opinion that all bullets and lubes are female and accordingly tempermental and to be handled as individuals rather than grouping them to gether and expecting results. Accordingly, at least for me, trial and error in finding just the right combinations to push down the tube are a major percentage of the satisfaction I get from playing with cast.
Good Luck!
1Shirt! :coffee: