PDA

View Full Version : Boolits in the 270 Weatherby Mag

fatelvis
09-29-2008, 07:29 PM
I got tired of recoil while shooting paper at the range (I don't hunt anymore), so I decided to buy a RCBS .278" 150 grn mould.
I casted up about 30 good ones using Wheelweights, sized them to .278" with Horn GCs, Greenspeed lube, and Winchester LR primers. I loaded two batches, one using 22 grns. IMR 49759 and another using 23 grns 5744.
At 50 yds the 4759 load shot about 1" lower than reg J-bullet loads, but printed the 1.083" 5-shot group shown. (Calipers are zeroed @ .278" to show actual c-t-c spread.) At 100 yds it printed the 2.852" 5 shot group. I shot a few foulers to see POI differences, and these two groups.
I noticed that in all groups, the first three rounds fired (3 round mag in rifle), shot a nice tight group, and the last two opened the group up considerably. I think the lightweight barrel gets a little nutty after three rounds, without a cooloff. I also shot two groups using the 5744, and it showed better groups yet, but I ran out of time, and didnt get pics. The bore was shiny clean, with no hints of leading. Looks like this preliminary test was successful, and more experimenting is a must. I'll keep you posted........