PDA

View Full Version : What do we know about H. Guy Loverin?

Char-Gar
12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I am a fan of the Loverin designed bullets and know they were an update of the multi-band target bullets by Pope and others. I know his bullet designs were produced by Ideal and then Lyman.

Other than those few fact, I know nothing of the man. Does anybody have any information and who he was? His name is a cast boolit household word, but what do we know about the man?

scrapcan
12-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Chargar,

I just bought an old lyman cast bullet handbook and has some things in it about someof the forefathers to our hobby. The front has articles by the noted with favorite loads/advice, next section is readers loads and experience, and the last section is lyman load data.

The book is missing the front and back covers and was wet at some time. I am working diligently to get the pages seperated and keep them in usable form. I will look and see if I have made it throught he pages and see what it has to say about Mr. Loverin.

It is interestign to note that some of the data matches some of the data that has been worked up by our members. I wish I new what the publication date was for this manual. The forward indicates that it may be the first edition of the lyman cast bullet handbook.

Again I will take a look tonight and see what I have for you.

Jumptrap
12-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Guy Loverin:

A Frenchman..name pronounced like Gey..rhymes with key..last name Lo-veer-enn.......Gey Lo-veer-in.

A Beneditictine Monk, moved to Sainthood by the Second Vatican Council in 1962.

It is said that Guy was walking in the gardens one day when the Lord appeared before him and said, "Guy..what seest thou?" Falling to his knees, Brother Guy looked and he beheld an angel holding a Golden bullet mould in his right hand. Guy answered and said, "A bullet mould."

The Lord said, "I will set this mould before the faithful and no longer shall I pass by them."

Brother Guy arose and approached the angel and took the mould from the angel's hand and opened it. The Lord again spake and said, "Guy thou seest something not known before and behold, this mould shall forever change the way bullets are cast. It shall always favor thee and bring joy to the hearts of the faithful, go now and spread the news of what thou hast seen here today."

And then, the angel of the Lord disappeared, but Guy was left standing with the Golden bullet mould in his hands. Inside was a cavity filled with 12 rings for the twelve tribes of Israel. In these many rings, there would be lube to prevent chaos as the bullet traveled through the barrel of life.

Loverin was elevated to Sainthood soon thereafter as the Patron Saint of Cast Bullets.

floodgate
12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Chargar,

I just bought an old lyman cast bullet handbook and has some things in it about someof the forefathers to our hobby. The front has articles by the noted with favorite loads/advice, next section is readers loads and experience, and the last section is lyman load data.

The book is missing the front and back covers and was wet at some time. I am working diligently to get the pages seperated and keep them in usable form. I will look and see if I have made it throught he pages and see what it has to say about Mr. Loverin.

It is interestign to note that some of the data matches some of the data that has been worked up by our members. I wish I new what the publication date was for this manual. The forward indicates that it may be the first edition of the lyman cast bullet handbook.

Again I will take a look tonight and see what I have for you.

Manleyjt/Chargar:

I think manleyjt has a copy of the 1958 Lyman "Handbook of Cast Bullets". There is a brief article on pp. 19-21 by Loverin "Tips on Casting Bullets", headed by a photo of him - looks like he's looking at a Lee mould and scowling ferociously! I seem to recall another article about or by him in one of the Lyman / Ideal Handbooks from the '40's or '50's; I will post it if / when I run aross it. The 1958 HCB is a real treasure, and I have worn out a couple of copies over the years. Shows a lot of the older bullets, with comments by their designers (Keith, Harvey, Thompson, etc.). They turn up on eBay every now & then. Orange cover with a drawing of a finely-engraved Sharps action surrounded by various bullets and a mould. Only fault is that weights are not given for most of the bullets. The 1973 "Cast Bullet Handbook" is also good; it is the one with photos, weights, top-punches, etc. on all the bullets they could find moulds for; this chart is posted on CASTPICS.

floodgate

felix
12-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Jump, there is hope for you yet! ... felix

floodgate
12-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Guys:

As a follow-up to my note on H. Guy Loverin, here are photos of the covers of the three (so far) Lyman cast bullet handbooks (note that they switched the title around between the first and the later editions). Make a copy and keep it handy when you prowl eBay and the various gunshows. HCB-1 is from 1958, and has all the "oldie but goodie" stuff; CBH-2 is from 1973, after the Leisure Group bought Lyman, and has the good bullet charts (you'l find this both in stapled and glued binding and plastic comb-bound like this one; both are about 6" x 9"). CBH-3 is from 1980, after J. Mace Thompson took Lyman off on its own again; it is less useful on the older bullets (chart, but few pictures), but has the best loading data for the currently-popular ones; it is in the current, large 8-1/2" x 11" format. We are L - O - N - G overdue for a comprehensive new edition (Lyman, you listening???) Good huntin'.

floodgate

scrapcan
12-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Floodgate,

Thanks for the help in determining which version my copy is. The copy is not in the greatest shape, but not seeing many (none other than this one in real life) I grabbed it at $5. Interesting reading after reading the latest lyman handbook. One can readily see the results of liability showing through.

The loads are not conservative like the new manual. Maybe in the new manual they will come and ask some of you guys to write a chapter! One can be by Jumptrap on cast bullet mythology. Jumptrap that was a nice touch for that treatise.

Pam03
08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
H. Guy Loverin was my grandfather, and lived in the duplex I grew up in in Lancaster, MA.
I can remember the smell of the hot lead in the back shed where he made the bullets.
He was a very smart man. He and his wife Esther had 6 daughters. When I was a little girl i used to watch him work on the bullets. He made his own cardboard boxes to put them in and tied them up with string. I used to have a copy of a book with his picture in it and something he wrote about his craft.

1Shirt
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Don't know about his Sainthood, but do know that most of the 30 cal Loverin's shoot better than I can.
1Shirt!

Texasflyboy
08-22-2012, 12:03 PM
H. Guy Loverin was my grandfather, and lived in the duplex I grew up in in Lancaster, MA.
I can remember the smell of the hot lead in the back shed where he made the bullets.
He was a very smart man. He and his wife Esther had 6 daughters. When I was a little girl i used to watch him work on the bullets. He made his own cardboard boxes to put them in and tied them up with string. I used to have a copy of a book with his picture in it and something he wrote about his craft.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. We would love to hear more about your grandfather. Would you mind posting more information you care to share with the members here?

Tom in VA

Le Loup Solitaire
08-22-2012, 03:34 PM
He had lots of suggestions and tips on casting, but the one I remember above all others was." Watch the quality and not the clock"! LLS

pdawg_shooter
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Loverin design bullets are the most accurate I have ever cast. They also size down to a near perfect paper patch bullet possible.

Maven
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
"Loverin design bullets are the most accurate I have ever cast." ...pdawg

They're my "go to" design as well when I need an accurate bullet. I'd also like to learn more about the man.

Char-Gar
08-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Well, this thread is back from the dead. I sure was glad to see his Grandaughter locate this thread and join in. I hope she knows just how important to the bullet casting world, her grandad was and is. I would like more information about him. So Pam if you check back here, give us as much information as you can. Everybody has heard of him, but we know very little about him as a man.

MtGun44
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Pam03,

Your grandfather's contribution to boolit design has been very beneficial for many of us. Any
info about his life and times that you might have, or a photo of him, or his shop would
definitely be interesting to those of us in this hobby.

Bill

runfiverun
08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
yes... it would all be of interest.
any pictures or just memories would be awesome..

and welcome to the forum.

dromia
08-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Welcome Pam03. :-D

Your grandfather is indeed a legend in cast bullet lore and a hero of our art for many of us.

I have often wondered about him, especially after seeing a photograph of him and reading his "Tips on Casting Bullets" article in the first Lyman "Handbook of Cast Bullets".

Like the others I too would like to know more about him.

Shuz
08-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Jump, there is hope for you yet! ... felix

No there ain't! (Har Har)--Shuz

Shiloh
08-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Guy Loverin:

A Frenchman..name pronounced like Gey..rhymes with key..last name Lo-veer-enn.......Gey Lo-veer-in.

A Beneditictine Monk, moved to Sainthood by the Second Vatican Council in 1962.

It is said that Guy was walking in the gardens one day when the Lord appeared before him and said, "Guy..what seest thou?" Falling to his knees, Brother Guy looked and he beheld an angel holding a Golden bullet mould in his right hand. Guy answered and said, "A bullet mould."

The Lord said, "I will set this mould before the faithful and no longer shall I pass by them."

Brother Guy arose and approached the angel and took the mould from the angel's hand and opened it. The Lord again spake and said, "Guy thou seest something not known before and behold, this mould shall forever change the way bullets are cast. It shall always favor thee and bring joy to the hearts of the faithful, go now and spread the news of what thou hast seen here today."

And then, the angel of the Lord disappeared, but Guy was left standing with the Golden bullet mould in his hands. Inside was a cavity filled with 12 rings for the twelve tribes of Israel. In these many rings, there would be lube to prevent chaos as the bullet traveled through the barrel of life.

Loverin was elevated to Sainthood soon thereafter as the Patron Saint of Cast Bullets.

WOW, I never realized it happened that way!!

Shiloh

badgeredd
08-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Pam03 welcome to the forum.

Edd

PS Paul
08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
So how in the world did Pam03 know there is a current thread about her Grandfather going on in this forum? Astounding! Must know someone who is a Member, I guess??

I just finished reading an article about some of Loverin's bullet designs. I think it was either Glenn Fryxell or Jim Taylor who wrote it? I will look at my MANY printouts and articles on my ferry ride home tonight and re-read, just because...

I sure hope you get back to the forum and share some more info about your Grandfather, Pam!! Until then, I will just wait patiently. Thanks for sharing with all of us, new members (like me) AND old members alike.

KYCaster
08-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Open your Google page, type in "Guy Loverin" and this thread is #1 in a list of 3,430,000 hits. Easy when you know the secret. :coffee:

Could have been any number of reasons she did the search. Like many others here, I hope she comes back with more information about her grandfather. :popcorn:

Jerry

BTW.....I am amazed at how often this site shows up near the top of the list of search results on a wide variety of topics.

Char-Gar
08-24-2012, 07:01 PM
I do google searches on my ancestors about once per month. There is always new stuff coming on line. Last month I found the date of death and grave of my GGGrandfather, which had been unknown to me.

Leslie Sapp
08-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Perhaps one of the Mods could check her preferences settings and make sure she is getting her emails notifying her that people are posting to this thread.

Alex Hamilton
03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi, Guys,
I have just heard on another forum that Lyman guide to cast bullets (the edition that contains tips on cast bullets by Guy Loverin on page 19) contained information on loads that was "inadequately researched and caused problems"! So Lyman took the book off sale and destroyed the unsold copies. The book has become very rare for all the wrong reasons. If anyone has one, the best advice is do not use the loads.

Sorry this is so late, but I just heard myself.

Best,

Alex

Randy C
03-12-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=1497

MT Gianni
03-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi, Guys,
I have just heard on another forum that Lyman guide to cast bullets (the edition that contains tips on cast bullets by Guy Loverin on page 19) contained information on loads that was "inadequately researched and caused problems"! So Lyman took the book off sale and destroyed the unsold copies. The book has become very rare for all the wrong reasons. If anyone has one, the best advice is do not use the loads.

Sorry this is so late, but I just heard myself.

Best,

Alex
Perhaps but many of us have used this data without any incidents. It was replaced in 73 and has not been in print since the late 60's, AFAIK.

10x
03-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Manleyjt/Chargar:

I think manleyjt has a copy of the 1958 Lyman "Handbook of Cast Bullets". There is a brief article on pp. 19-21 by Loverin "Tips on Casting Bullets", headed by a photo of him - looks like he's looking at a Lee mould and scowling ferociously! I seem to recall another article about or by him in one of the Lyman / Ideal Handbooks from the '40's or '50's; I will post it if / when I run aross it. The 1958 HCB is a real treasure, and I have worn out a couple of copies over the years. Shows a lot of the older bullets, with comments by their designers (Keith, Harvey, Thompson, etc.). They turn up on eBay every now & then. Orange cover with a drawing of a finely-engraved Sharps action surrounded by various bullets and a mould. Only fault is that weights are not given for most of the bullets. The 1973 "Cast Bullet Handbook" is also good; it is the one with photos, weights, top-punches, etc. on all the bullets they could find moulds for; this chart is posted on CASTPICS.

floodgate

Cornell publishing has quality reprints of this cast bullet manual.

cornellpubs.com and many more manuals

And to Pam, you are a very lucky person to have had the pleasure of G. Loverin's company. I have used and appreciated his mold designs for years.
He has been one of the most revered contributors to cast bullet technology.

beagle
03-12-2013, 11:52 PM
F.C Ness has some data on Louverin in one of his books on the .22s. Kind of interesting fellow. I guess Loverin .22s were the "in" thing for groundhog hunting during the shortage of WWII when groundhog hunting was getting popular in the NE. He sold many cast 225438s by mail for this purpose and then Sisk came along a little later with his swaged jacketed bullets and he lost hismarket./beagle

Leamlara
05-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Cornell publishing has quality reprints of this cast bullet manual.

cornellpubs.com and many more manuals

And to Pam, you are a very lucky person to have had the pleasure of G. Loverin's company. I have used and appreciated his mold designs for years.
He has been one of the most revered contributors to cast bullet technology.

I'm Pam's cousin, and Guy's my grandfather too. All his grandchildren knew we were lucky to know him, though he was not well known when he was alive. He was a very humble man with a scientist's heart. He was so proud of the quality of the bullets he made, and he kept careful notes. He did target shooting, but as far as I know he never hunted.

He worked in the Post Office in Lancaster for much of his working life. During the first world war he made bullets for the war effort at the kitchen table. I remember seeing him cast bullets, and I have some bullets of his, and the tool he used to pour lead into the molds.

He had a wonderful, resonant voice, and listening to him tell stories was something I treasured. I lived in Vermont, and only saw my Grandfather once a month or so.

Happy to answer any more questions that you have. And yes, I found this thread through searching Guy's name (pronounced like the noun, by the way).

10x
05-22-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm Pam's cousin, and Guy's my grandfather too. All his grandchildren knew we were lucky to know him, though he was not well known when he was alive. He was a very humble man with a scientist's heart. He was so proud of the quality of the bullets he made, and he kept careful notes. He did target shooting, but as far as I know he never hunted.

He worked in the Post Office in Lancaster for much of his working life. During the first world war he made bullets for the war effort at the kitchen table. I remember seeing him cast bullets, and I have some bullets of his, and the tool he used to pour lead into the molds.

He had a wonderful, resonant voice, and listening to him tell stories was something I treasured. I lived in Vermont, and only saw my Grandfather once a month or so.

Happy to answer any more questions that you have. And yes, I found this thread through searching Guy's name (pronounced like the noun, by the way).

Thank you for a personal insight on a man I admire.

dromia
05-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits and thank you for sharing your memories of your grandfather.

Many of us would appreciate some photographs of his dipper and boolits.

Leamlara
05-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits and thank you for sharing your memories of your grandfather.

Many of us would appreciate some photographs of his dipper and boolits.

(My apologies if this is a duplicate. I posted it and it didn't seem to work)

I'll do this as soon as I find the dipper and bullets. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure where they are, and it's gardening season, and I'm really busy. But I'll get to this eventually. Can you tell me how I post photographs here? I have some photographs of my grandfather as a young man, but they are not on this computer at the moment. I do have this couple of paragraphs to share with you from a letter he wrote to my parents in Vermont just after the 1938 hurricane, which caused significant damage in Lancaster. You can see why I said he had a scientist's heart. (The Cliff Davis mentioned was a relative of his by marriage, and a meteorologist in the Boston area, I believe. I find online only a Cliff Davis who is a a meteorologist in Nebraska). I copied grammatical errors as is. This is a letter, and he wasn't careful, of course, of how he said what he said.

"Before the worst part of storm got here I backed my car out of garage and turned it around and raced it out of the driveway, we was expecting the 2 elms to come down any second. And I didn’t want my car where I couldn’t get it. I put it where Morgans father kept his trailer. The Wind was coming from about exactly S.E. and at no time was very hard close to the ground in this village. I went up town now and then and kept them posted on how long it would last and so on. My low on Barometer was 28.50 corrected to sea level 28.82 or exactly (...) on hand as it hangs on wall. I would say it had been as low before but it never dropped 55 points in so short a time. I don’t suppose a hurricane has much lower pressure than some other storms, but when we know one is near and we see the Barometer going down like that we know it is headed for us.

I had a very narrow escape in taking 5:30 mail down.... Got up to Mrs. Burdens and a big elm across the road it had missed us by seconds, got back to center O.K. Wind not bad here then, near the ground, suppose it must have had full speed up higher. Think the trees along main St must have gone down about 6:00 or before. Cliff Davis only had 61 m.p. hour on Wind.
While the wind was still at its height, the Barometer started up so I went up town, and told a bunch of men that I thought the last tree was down that would fall. The street was a terrible sight then but I guess no more came down.
Spent a hard week repairing my garage.
Love, Guy

Kansas Ed
05-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Leamlara,
I would like to thank you for posting such a fascinating letter of your grandfathers on here. While I have been involved in casting for relatively a short time, it didn't take me long to see the value of your grandfathers work in his designs. I have more of his designed moulds than all the other combined, and am quite a fan of his bullets. I'm looking forward to your future posts. I don't think you'll find a group of people anywhere in the world who appreciates his contributions more than the group on here.

What other projects was he involved in? I'm sure such a creative mind was not limited to the sport of bullet casting.

I see the beginnings of a long overdue Wikipedia page here.

Ed

runfiverun
05-23-2013, 12:36 AM
i'm sure someone can help with posting pictures.
littlegirl tells me you can just link them to photo bucket.

26Charlie
05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Beldng and Mull produced some of his designs as well as did Lyman / Ideal. I have B&M moulds for a .30 150 gr. and a .25 75 gr. , both round nosed multigrooved designs.

Char-Gar
05-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Boy and I glad to get another relative of Guy's here with a treasure trove of information. He has had such a seminal influences on cast bullet shooting today. We still uses his bullet designs. I hope she continue to feed us more information.

The earliest Lyman Cast Bullet handbook I had and still have was purchased in 1960 and has the Loverin page mentioned. In those days, Lyman published load data sent in by readers and it is found in every caliber at the bottom of the Lyman produced data and is entitled "Pet Loads". Some of those "pet loads" were pretty fringe stuff.

As America moved into being law suit crazy, Lyman had to pull that stuff and it was published under their name which implied some sort of approval. Keith and others also had data published by Lyman and that went away as well.

I never knew of anybody blowing up a firearm in those days, but it is all to common now. This is due to a change in the way ammo is loaded by many which result in over charges of powder.

rintinglen
05-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Oh it happened then too, but in those days, a guy in Omaha blew up his rifle, talked about it with a friend or two at the range then took it to the gunsmith. Nowadays, he runs to the internet and publishes it to the world. In an hour more people read about it than heard about it ever, back in the fifties or sixties. But reloading accidents were probably even more prevalent in those days, even though reloaders were fewer. Any old time gunsmith could give you many a tale concerning such shennanigans. Sharpe had a chapter called something like, "and the angels sing..." in his reloading book, dealing with stupid gun tricks. I recall reading an Account by Jack O'Connor of a pair of fellows having to beat the bolt handles of their rifles open with a stick after firing some ammo lent them by a friend. Keith mentioned blowing up a 45 before switching to a 44 Special in his quest for hotter revolver ammo. The old days weren't always better, just older.

I will say though, that today's reloader has less excuse than did his (or her--another change in the shooting picture) father and grand father. The reloading manuals today are much more detailed and data is more thoroughly tested. You don't see Joe Blow's "Pet Loads" in loading manuals any more. Although you do see some pretty hairy stuff from time to time on the internet.

Char-Gar
05-24-2013, 06:15 PM
For the records...I said, I didn't know of anybody blowing up a firearm. I didn't say I didn't read about folks doing stupid things with firearms. In the past few years, I have seen with my own eyes five destroyed firearms due to handloads. One was a revolver and four were autopistols.

So, I wasn't taking about hearing and reading about such stuff. I was talking about personal experience. I am sorry, I didn't make that clear.

alamogunr
05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Ten years ago, if you were diligent in your search, you could find copies of the first edition of the Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets. I forget where I found my copy, either on Ebay or one of the book search sites. I managed to get the 2nd edition the same way. I actually found 2 copies since the first was missing about the first 30 or so pages. IIRC I sold that one(with full disclosure) to someone on this board.

I did not realize that so little was known about H. Guy Loverin. I guess I thought I was well informed since I had read his article and seen his picture in the first handbook. Looking forward to learning more. So glad the granddaughters looked us up.

PS I just went to the shop and got the first 2 handbooks. Inside the first edition, on the other side of the contents page, is the picture of Guy Loverin casting boolets. How many of you cast wearing a tie?

10x
05-24-2013, 10:58 PM
A reprint of the Lyman first edition cast bullet handbook is available from Cornell publications.
http://www.cornellpubs.com/

alamogunr
05-24-2013, 11:32 PM
That's not a bad price on the first edition repro. I still had the invoice(I keep them with the book) and it says I paid $21 including shipping.

Thanks for the link. They have a lot of good stuff.

Pam03
06-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi guys and thanks for the warm welcome. I am working on getting some pictures to post of H Guy. Loverin. Recently I was visiting my aunt, who had found among her things a box of molds, each tied together with string that my grandpa used to save and tie together into a big ball. Each of the families of his 6 daughters were given one to share among each other. I havent got my turn yet, but I will definately take picures of it and post it.
I remember my grandfather was very frugal, as were most of the folks who lived through the depression. Thats why he started saving the string.
In the winter, he would make "sugar on snow" which was maple syrup cooked to a certain temperature and then drizzled onto a tub of fresh packed snow. He was very precise about the temperature, and in general he was precise.
He was interested in the weather, I remember he taught us kids to count the seconds in between the lightning and the thunder to find out how far away the storm was. Once i saw him taking the air temperature under a squash leaf, i dont remember why though.
I am so pleased at all the interest in him, I am going to dig in and find out some things from his daughter soon. Thanks again.
Pam

runfiverun
06-27-2013, 11:27 PM
cool, this will be pretty neat.
i'm gonna link this to my something that may help sticky, so if it doesn't get made one I have ready access to it.

Nickle
06-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Nice thread on one of the great men of boolit casting.

Dean D.
06-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Thank you for sharing with us Pam. I absolutely love all of the Loverin design moulds I have. It's great to learn more about the man who designed them.

swheeler
06-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Pam I think everyone hear would love to hear about your grandfather, I know I would! Welcome to our home and make yourself comfortable. Scot

Beau Cassidy
06-28-2013, 11:26 PM
How many of you cast wearing a tie?

I bet Floyd does...

MT Gianni
06-29-2013, 12:14 AM
A much appreciated update about one of the most admired designers in our history of cast bullet shooting.

dromia
06-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Pam, thank you for your continued contribution here and the insights that you are able to give us about your grandfather.

I look forward to hearing more about Mr Loverin, one of the great elders of bullet castling.

If you need any help posting pictures or whatever then just PM or email me and I'll assist.

Fishman
06-29-2013, 03:02 PM
I find this thread absolutely fascinating. I really appreciate the stories and history behind famous people and few take the time to chronicle them. There are a lot of people here who appreciate both granddaughters efforts on this. Could you imagine seeing some of his handwritten notes, or better yet having them as pdf's on castpics!?

6mmppc
07-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I shoot the Loverin designed Lyman 245496 in my 6mmppc rifle. It is an excellent bullet and I can consistantly get sub 1" groups at 100 yds with it. It is the only cast bullet that I have used in the 6mmppc and have found that OAL, i.e. bullet seating depth, can change the size of my groups dramatically.
Also the original "Ideal 225438" bullet was designed by Loverin specifically for the .22 Hornet. I have a single cavilty "IDEAL 225438" mold (from before WWII) and it requires some effort to cast the tiny bullets without flaws. I believe that the "Ideal 225438" bullet is the smallest and lightest cast bullet Lovern designed.
The very thin ridges in the Ideal mold (that produce the 4 lube grooves) require a very hot melt along with good fluxing to keep it clean, in order that they fill out well, but it is worth the effort. The "Ideal 225438" is considerable more accurate than the current "Lyman 225438" with only two lube grooves. I cast the "Lyman 22548" from an early 1990's vintage double cavity mold. In my Hornet NEF HandiRifle The "Ideal 225438" shoots 1" groups at 100 yds when there is little or no wind, and with the same load the "Lyman 225438" can only manage an occaisional 1.25" group, with mostly groups slightly less than 1.5"uner the same conditions.
I also have a Ideal 311465 mold that i shoot in my 1917 Enfield. My three Lovern molds produce the most accurate cast bullets that I shoot.
I am pleased with the additions to the forum by Mr. Lovern's granddaughters, and look forward to their additional reports.

MakeMineA10mm
07-06-2013, 06:46 AM
I've always been a fan of the 311467 Loverin, so naturally I clicked on this thread to see what it said. Never in my wildest imagination could I have dreamed that 2 of his grandchildren would have found us and blessed us with first-hand, personal stories of the man! Thank you very much for doing so, and I too look forward to learning more about this scientific designer of accurate cast bullets.

BTW, if anyone has an older 467 mould they do not want any more, my PM box is always open. :)

DRNurse1
02-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Not being a 'rifle guy,' I had no idea about any of this. Thank you to Pam and Leamlara for contributing here. I hope this can become a sticky as the history of this hobby is nearly as fascinating to me as its pursuit.

bdbruce
11-12-2014, 08:08 PM
I've had a Lyman # 311466 double cavity mold for about 45 years, I cast a few boolits with it back then, but never used them!
So fourty-five years latter, I cast a couple hundred of them, sized some in my Lyman #45 lube size press (purchased at about the same time as the mold) the bottom "button" on the threaded lube feed screw pulled off. So I did buy a Lyman #4500 sizer to finish the boolits. I'm using Lyman Magic Orange Lube and Hornady gas checks .Just loaded 60 rnds of 30-06 with these Loverin Design boolits. I'll get out soon and see how well they shoot.

10x
11-13-2014, 12:13 AM
I've had a Lyman # 311466 double cavity mold for about 45 years, I cast a few boolits with it back then, but never used them!
So fourty-five years latter, I cast a couple hundred of them, sized some in my Lyman #45 lube size press (purchased at about the same time as the mold) the bottom "button" on the threaded lube feed screw pulled off. So I did buy a Lyman #4500 sizer to finish the boolits. I'm using Lyman Magic Orange Lube and Hornady gas checks .Just loaded 60 rnds of 30-06 with these Loverin Design boolits. I'll get out soon and see how well they shoot.

I have never had a Loverin style boolit not give really good to excellent accuracy. The design seems to be far more forgiving than the nose riding designs.

woodbutcher
11-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Great thread.Great info on a real pioneer.Thanks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Echo
11-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Super thread. Will pay more attention to Loverin-style boolits.

ShooterAZ
11-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Yes....great thread. I read with interest because I recently purchased a "Loverin Style" mold from NOE, a 311407. It has shot well in all of my 30 cals so far, no disappointments.

Char-Gar
11-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Yes....great thread. I read with interest because I recently purchased a "Loverin Style" mold from NOE, a 311407. It has shot well in all of my 30 cals so far, no disappointments.

NOE sells the 311407 Mod (Modified). It is slightly different from the original Loverin design in that it is one band shorter and the two top bands are .301 to ride on top of the rifling lands. It has been accurate for many folks.

Lance Boyle
11-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice to see some history of casting come to life!

ShooterAZ
11-13-2014, 07:52 PM
NOE sells the 311407 Mod (Modified). It is slightly different from the original Loverin design in that it is one band shorter and the two top bands are .301 to ride on top of the rifling lands. It has been accurate for many folks.

When I got my mold, I thought I made a mistake in ordering. It is marked 314407. I called Al to see what happened because I ordered the 311407. He said that they are all 314407, and just size appropriately. This was a win-win for me, because I can use it in my Mosin-Nagant which needs a .313 boolit. I size to .311 for all my other 30 caliber rifles. I run it up into the throats and it shoots great. I really like this mold. Thanks Mr. Loverin, and Al Nelson, and Char Gar.

Char-Gar
11-13-2014, 08:51 PM
When I got my mold, I thought I made a mistake in ordering. It is marked 314407. I called Al to see what happened because I ordered the 311407. He said that they are all 314407, and just size appropriately. This was a win-win for me, because I can use it in my Mosin-Nagant which needs a .313 boolit. I size to .311 for all my other 30 caliber rifles. I run it up into the throats and it shoots great. I really like this mold. Thanks Mr. Loverin, and Al Nelson, and Char Gar.

the diameter is indeed .314 by design. It can be a fat 30 or a standard 30. If you find the grooves closing, lube before you size and that will cure that issue.

ShooterAZ
11-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I have not had that problem, but thanks for the advise. I imagine they might close if I sized any smaller than .311...say .310 or .309. No need for me to size smaller than .311 for my rifles. My 1903 Springfield is next in line for this boolit...looking forward to trying it.

MT Chambers
11-14-2014, 03:09 PM
The guy is a legend, no doubt, I just wish i could get his 311467 to shoot for me!

Char-Gar
11-15-2014, 09:18 AM
The guy is a legend, no doubt, I just wish i could get his 311467 to shoot for me!

What are you trying to get it to shoot in and what is the problem? I have had some experience with this bullet.

jcess
12-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Guy was my great grandfather (Pam03 - is my aunt)

I have attached a photo for you all

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2011/184/53859648_130982852880.jpg (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=53859648&PIpi=44916721)

Thank you all for keeping his spirit alive ....................

dromia
12-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Welcome and thank you.

Char-Gar
12-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Thank you for the photo and the information about the people. As you can tell, Guy Loverin is a legend among those of us who pour our own bullet into molds. Every little bit of information helps to fill in the picture of the man.

MtGun44
12-22-2014, 10:27 PM
"Mr Loverin is a postal clerk at the Lancaster Post Office."
Another tidbit, now we know what he did when he wasn't experimenting
with boolits.

Bill

curator
12-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Obviously this was in the day when you could be a Postal Clerk and a gun owner and not worry about your job. I love my "Loverin" moulds in both 6.5mm (.266) and .311 diameter. #311467 is my most accurate .30 caliber boolit in my .308 Winchester/.30-40 Krag rifles (5), Some experimentation as to the number of lube grooves that need to be filled with lube at specific velocities/BHN hardness helps a lot with his designs. Great work in the day before computers!

10x
12-25-2014, 09:13 AM

What gun and what caliber?
I have yet to have a Loverin design not give good accuracy.
The 311467 is one of my favorite bullets for 30-30, 308, 30/06, 303 Brit, and 7.62x39.