PDA

View Full Version : Friends in Tennessee

abunaitoo
10-15-2018, 04:39 AM
My sister has been living there for a while.
She loves it.
I saw, on utube, canned raisin bread.
We don't have it here, so I asked he if she could find it.
She sent me three cans, and some local made food stuff.
She doesn't eat spicy stuff, so she's never tried them.
Any of out friends in Tennessee know about these????

kungfustyle
10-15-2018, 06:14 AM
We are in Knoxville so I'll keep an eye out around here. But for now: https://tennesseebest.com/ and https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Bread-Raisins-16-Ounce-Cans/dp/B001EO5Y8E/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1539598432&sr=8-1&keywords=canned+raisin+bread

Houndog
10-15-2018, 06:43 AM
I like that chow chow in soup beans (bean soup for you yankees) and on hot dogs. Just so happens that's the same brand we buy. They also make a hot version for a little more spice.

Johnch
10-15-2018, 08:18 AM
I will have to buy a few jars of the Chow Chow when I am done trout fishing in WV this summer
As I also like it on hot dogs and deer sausage .... I am sure some of the mild and hot will taste good
As I hate making just a few quarts for me

It will give us another reason for a detour , local food is a real good reason

Also I am sure we can find a few bottles of something to drink also
LOL 2 reasons to enjoy a detour

John

mold maker
10-15-2018, 08:55 AM
I never tried chow chow with a hotdog, but nothing goes better with beans of any kind.

osteodoc08
10-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Mmmmmm. I love me some chow chow.

snowwolfe
10-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Chow chow is good stuff. We eat it on hot dogs. It became our staple to take to relatives we visit and they loved it as well. We prefer the spicer versions.

abunaitoo
10-15-2018, 09:57 PM
So the chow chow is used like regular relish.
Sounds good.
What about the Mango Fire????
Is it hotter than Tobasco????

woodbutcher
10-15-2018, 10:17 PM
:D If that Mango Fire is what I think it is,you just might need an asbestos liner for the exhaust pipe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

45workhorse
10-15-2018, 10:41 PM
:D If that Mango Fire is what I think it is,you just might need an asbestos liner for the exhaust pipe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Don't worry about the "liner" just go ahead burn the "rifling"out and be done with it. :kidding:

Thin Man
10-16-2018, 08:22 AM
There are a lot of locally owned producers in TN. One of my favorites is Benton's Country Hams near Madisonville in the Knoxville area. They started small and have grown to be recognized all over the continental US by those people who appreciate their products. Country ham, country bacon, country sausage and a few other similar offerings are their staples. One of our local retreat locations (Blackberry Farm) uses their products regularly (cheap motel, lowest price one-night stay begins at around $800). If the product wasn't top notch the Farm would not offer it. Country ham is very salty and an acquired taste, but I have been shopping with them for over 50 years. It's an addiction I can't kick, and don't want to.

Thundarstick
10-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Those must be East Tennessee brands, as I've never seen them in West Tennessee. Most of the chow- chow You see in the stores around here comes from Mississippi. You know you can make chow- chow? It's very easy to prepare and can be made from cabbage or green tomatoes. We ate a lot of the green tomato variety growing up because that's what my Momma did with the green tomatoes rite before a freeze ruined them on the vine. Not a mango tree within the state! Been buying my hot sauces from Mo-Hotter, Mo-Better for nearly 20 years, but I do make my own habnero jelly from garden grown peppers. Good eats my friends!

mattw
10-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Yes, real country ham! I love the salt and the over all texture of the meat. Some of the best stuff on the planet! I have never tried chow chow, I love soup beans and have since I was a kid. For me they get Franks Red Hot sauce and fresh onions. And the family hates me for a few days. :)

TheGrimReaper
10-16-2018, 10:33 AM
I love me some Chow Chow on black eyed peas. Country Ham....can't get enough of it.
Also love white BBQ sauce....only kind I'll eat.
PoolRoom Slaw is big in this area....I HATE it, way to sweet for me.

JoeJames
10-16-2018, 11:29 AM
I just noticed this thread an hour half and a half before dinner. Just me drooling thinking about chow chow, fried ham, and pinto beans. Y'all hush!

EMC45
10-16-2018, 11:40 AM
There are a lot of locally owned producers in TN. One of my favorites is Benton's Country Hams near Madisonville in the Knoxville area. They started small and have grown to be recognized all over the continental US by those people who appreciate their products. Country ham, country bacon, country sausage and a few other similar offerings are their staples. One of our local retreat locations (Blackberry Farm) uses their products regularly (cheap motel, lowest price one-night stay begins at around $800). If the product wasn't top notch the Farm would not offer it. Country ham is very salty and an acquired taste, but I have been shopping with them for over 50 years. It's an addiction I can't kick, and don't want to.

Swaggerty's in Kodak is a good one too.

Thundarstick
10-16-2018, 04:51 PM
"I love me some Chow Chow on black eyed peas."

Three reason chow- chow was invented was so black eyed peas would be palatable!

abunaitoo
10-19-2018, 10:47 PM
I've never had "black eyed peas".
How is the chow-chow on hotdogs????

snowwolfe
10-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Superb. It tastes like a slightly tangy high class relish with more texture.

Thundarstick
10-20-2018, 12:40 PM
I prefer it over relish, especially on stronger flavored sausages.