PDA

View Full Version : Swiped somebody's stash

Namerifrats
09-29-2008, 02:16 PM
How do you guys feel about moving in on somebody else's lead source? I'm sure I'm not the first one here to do it and damn sure won't be the last. I have 5, full 5 gallon buckets waiting to be smelted. Maybe 70 two pound ingots left ready for casting. Due to it getting harder to find lead, I'd like to build up my stash a little more. So I went out trolling for Wheel Weights today, first shop I hit had a full and running over 6 gallon bucket of weights. I asked the man running the shop about them. He said another guy comes by and collects them (didn't say for what, bullets or sinkers) and he pays $10 per bucket. I asked if could buy them and he said the guy had been coming by for a couple of years now every month or so and he saves them for him. I offered up $20 and the guy said "Well, now I sell them to you" and told me to have at it. So my total haul was 180 lbs of weights. No trash, just a couple of steel weights visible, I'd say it was 95% lead for all of it. I felt a little guilty driving away, but I guess money talks.

bruce drake
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately, that is the economics of life. Just don't let us know where you live.... :)

Bruce

targetshootr
09-29-2008, 05:07 PM
That's a good deal. So far I haven't felt guilty. Most times shops won't even haggle. It's every man for hisself when it comes to ww.

pearson1662
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
That's how a free market is supposed to work

Bill*
09-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Went to pick up my monthly lead bucket today and the guy tells me he's sellin' to somebody else now.......HeHe.....jus' kiddin'......good for you ....... Bill

dwtim
09-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I use the catch-and-release method.

See, what I do is I put some ingots at the other end of a Have-a-Heart trap. When I hear the scrounger's distress calls, I come and throw a blanket over the trap. (They usually quiet down after that.) Then I drive it to some other part of the state, far from my lead supply, and release.

PatMarlin
09-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Money talks and the lead walks... :Fire:

Jim
09-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I've been on both sides of that fence. Business is just that; business.

EMC45
09-29-2008, 08:08 PM
My shop I go to had a guy getting them after I started. The manager said first come first served. Well I bought them cheeseburgers and asked if the other guy did anything for them. They said no and told him he couldn't get them any more. I still get them cheeseburgers.

Blammer
09-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Around here the price is still "free" I don't care who gets to em first, just as long as the price don't go up!

Maximilian225
09-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I see no problem, if he wants them more than you he'll offer thirty. At some point the market price will be unsupportable for one of you and supply side economics will once again dominate.

I love Capitalism.

:mrgreen:

AZ-Stew
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
You nailed it, Max. That's exactly what I was going to say.

Regards,

Stew
P.S. Nice chuckie!

targetshootr
09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Oh no, if we bring supply side economics to ww they'll cost us trillions.

bruce drake
09-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Dammit, I need a bailout!

Buckshot
09-30-2008, 02:07 AM
..................So Bruce, what are the tire shops like in Iraq?

.................Buckshot

PatMarlin
09-30-2008, 02:23 AM

rvpilot76
09-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Just think how much wheelweight you could buy with $700,000,000,000. That's a buttload of zeros, fellas. Shoot for 1% of that we could probably buy off the eco-freaks!

Lloyd Smale
09-30-2008, 05:13 AM
you didnt do wrong but the shop owner should feel a little guilty. He could have made a quick phone call to the guy and gave him a chance to match your offer.

MT Gianni
09-30-2008, 08:53 AM
you didnt do wrong but the shop owner should feel a little guilty. He could have made a quick phone call to the guy and gave him a chance to match your offer.

If he knew him other than just as the guy that gets WW. A good reason to leave a bucket with your phone # and name on it and bring a 12 pack of soda and doughnuts to his work.

bruce drake
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Think of a Iraqi with a big sledge hammer standing on a rim beating a tire to get it seated. And I don't think they believe in balancing them. Oh, and I don't keep an eye peeled for lost clips on the side of the road either.

Kudos for Namerifrats finding the shop. I've Got Bret and bunch of others in Upstate NY to compete with when I get home!

Bruce

Boerrancher
09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
I say business is business. I have a tire shop that I hit up about every 6 months. Someone was picking up the WWs there and he didn't show up when the bucket was full, and I did. I now get most of my big tractor tires done there. It is out of the way, but these folks give me WW's and I give them my biggest business.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Namerifrats
09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the imput guys. Just didn't want to be doing "unethical" things. After another bucket or two I should have close to a ton of lead. That'll run me several years and the guy can have his source back. I'm just wanting to boost my personal stash currently.

mto7464
10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
You should be drawn and quartered. Thats like moving in on another man's girlfriend. Wait a minute, I did that and then married her. Maybe I should be drawn and quartered or at least thanked by the guy I stole her from.

PatMarlin
10-01-2008, 03:35 PM

trickyasafox
10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't think its unethical. We get possessive of tire shops like they are 'our spots'. . . they are tire shops. you really want it to be yours, get a contract with them for their lead. Otherwise, they are a business, and those guys gotta eat. that 10 or 20 bucks we give those guys I'm sure doesn't hurt their personal wealth. besides- by me 10 bucks for a bucket is a pretty good low-ball. its 20-25 per bucket and you'll get some trash in there. or at least at the places I have found.