PDA

View Full Version : Google Memo

wch
10-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Yesterday Breitbart published a precis of a leaked Google internal memeo describing "The Good Censor" and proclaiming that due to devisive elements (such as the election of President Trump and the Kavanaugh nonsense), Google claimed that "the American tradition of free speech" would be ended on the Google search and YouTube sites.
Well, guess what, Google?
That "American tradition" you talk about is based on the First Amendment to the US Constitution and it isn't only a tradition, it's the law of the land.
I suggest that all members who read this look for a search engine that doesn't censor and won't sell your information to the highest bidder.
Those search engines are out there and they're free to use.

ericandelaine1975
10-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Well this is the land of the free and home of the offended.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
10-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Is this a new memo? Or is it the old one that’s been talked about for a few months now? The question is if they implemented censorship. It’s natural for a company to discuss this type of thing internally. Especially w/ their liberal bias. The implementation of the censorship is what matters.

YouTube has been self censoring for a long time. They of course deny it. But the first amendment has no bearing on YouTube. It’s a private site w/ their own terms of service. The first amendment protects you from the government. Not from a private company. You can’t say anything you want on this site and YouTube is no different.

Wag
10-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Some have been touting the use of duckduckgo.com as an alternative. Lycos and Infoseek are still out there and still work but I don't know if they are censoring. Or accused of it.

--Wag--

wch
10-12-2018, 04:05 PM
I switched to duckduckgo.

RayinNH
10-13-2018, 03:03 PM
I'm keeping my eye on this one. Apparently it's not yet ready to go. https://1776free.com/

StratsMan
10-16-2018, 02:46 PM
I've used to use duckduckgo, but been using startpage.com for a while now... they claim no tracking and they don't sell prioritization. Based in Netherlands, I believe, so not subject to US regs... I use their email service, too... (not free tho)

JSnover
10-16-2018, 04:32 PM
I disabled Google on my Android (factory installed, so I was unable to remove it) and downloaded DuckDuckGo. No problems yet and I haven't seen a pop-up in weeks.