PDA

View Full Version : More Scales

Johnw...ski
09-29-2008, 09:24 AM
I have read the accuracy for the Pact BBKII is + or - .1 gr. under 300 gns. and
+ or - .2 gr. over 300 grs with a max capacity of 750 grs.

The Pact Digital Precision Powder Scale has a max capacity of 1500 grs. and is supposed to be accurate to + or - .1 gr. over the whole range, however it reads only in full grains over 999.9 grs.

If anyone here is using the Pact Digital Precision Powder Scale, or even the Pact BBKII I would like to hear what experiences you have had with it concerning warm up, repeatibility and accuracy.

If anyone is using the My Weigh iBalance 201 Table Top Precision Scale I would also like to hear what experiences you have had with it concerning warm up, repeatibility and accuracy. Also do you use it with the batteries or the plug in adapter?

Thanks,

John

Johnw...ski
09-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Here's another scale I found that looks good.

http://www.itinscales.com/acculab_vicon_balances.htm

Acculab VIC-212 $164.95

Anyone using one?

Thanks,

John

pdawg_shooter
09-30-2008, 08:12 AM
I used the Pact DPPS and have for years now. I calibrate when I start and zero when the readout starts bouncing around. Maybe every 50 to 70 load when the scale is cold and hardly ever after the scale has warmed up 30 min or so. I think it is a fine product and just wish I would have had one when I started loading back in the 60s.

cuzinbruce
09-30-2008, 08:30 AM
If you look on Midway's site, they have a link "Read the Reviews" in the field for all the items they stock. Brings you to comments from people who have used the item. A lot of times the bad reviews seem to be at the bottom but it is worth checking out. I know I decided against an electronic scale after reading them. Most of the ones I looked at had mixed reviews, some more serious than others.

Boerrancher
09-30-2008, 08:39 AM
I have a few digital scales that I use for weighing Gemstones, but have never used the electronic ones for reloading. I know this is the 21st Century, but I just can't get past trusting my good guns and body parts to anything other than an old Lyman 500 beam scale. I know that once I zero it,(which I check before each use) that as long as I stick to most published load data, I will never have a problem.

Yes I am a bit old fasioned. It took me until this year to try tumble lube design boolits and tumble lube them. I know that the TL design has been around for nearly 20 years now if not longer. Maybe one day I will get an electronic powder scale, but I will take the wait and see approach and follow the feed back of those who have them.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

BeeMan
09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I've got the Pact powder dispenser and scale. I leave the scale on all the time so warm up drift is not a problem. I'm pleased overall but do check it with the calibration weights each time I use it. Accuracy and repeatability are fine. I find the greatest advantage is reduced time when weighing boolits.

BeeMan

imashooter2
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
I also leave my PACT DPPS on all the time. I recalibrate it before weighing powder, but for all other purposes, I simply throw the check weight on to confirm previous calibration. It never drifts, even with weeks between uses.

vernm
09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I have used a PACT powder scale and dispenser for several years. It's the only digital scale I have owned. It's dead on with my RCBS (Ohaus) 5-10 ans 10-10 scales. Works very well for weighing bullets. The design of the scale makes it awkward to dribble powder charges by hand, rather than with the powder dispenser. Once it settles on a weight, it will hold that weight unless it sees a significant change (about .4gr). This keeps the scale from reacting to air movements, etc. Eventually it will check itself and then change to the correct weight. But, this can drive you crazy if you don't understand how the scale works and what it is doing. When loading just a few cartridges and I don't want to set up the dispenser, I use Lee powder dippers. Use a dipper that is just under the desired weight and estimate how many more granules are needed. Then, toss them into the pan all at once. Do not dribble. If you are over weight, use the dipper to remove a few granules of powder until you get the desired weight. To check the weight, lift the pan and set it down again. That weight will be accurate. Yes, the dispenser/scale operating together is much faster.

Make sure you read and follow instructions. If necessary, call the factory customer service with questions.

I dropped my scale on the concrete floor. Had to pay shipping both ways. But, the repairs were covered by the PACT lifetime warrenty.

montana_charlie
09-30-2008, 02:38 PM
If anyone is using the My Weigh iBalance 201 Table Top Precision Scale I would also like to hear what experiences you have had with it concerning warm up, repeatibility and accuracy. Also do you use it with the batteries or the plug in adapter?
I have never used one, but have often considered buying it.
Because of your request for 'reviews', I went Googling for some. I found these, but there are probably more out there...

http://www.cheapscales.net/reviews/index.htm#ibal201
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=281672&review=1

"The only other major item needed for the chemistry lab is a decent balance, which will obviously also be useful for physics, biology, and forensics. I consider centigram (0.01 g) resolution the minimum acceptable for serious work, and a milligram (0.001 g) balance would be better. Here are some good candidates for a balance:

My-Weigh iBalance 201 (200 g capacity; 0.01 g resolution; ~ $120)
Acculab VIC-123 Milligram Scale (120 g capacity; 0.001 g resolution; ~ $270)
Acculab VIC-303 Milligram Scale (300 g capacity; 0.001 g resolution; ~ $325)"
(from http://www.ttgnet.com/daynotes/2008/2008-19.html )

(user manual here..)
http://www.myweigh.com/scales/medium-scales/ibalance-201#tabs-scale_page-4

Considering the 30-year guarantee, and the helpfulness I have experienced from Old Will Knott, I would say it's safe to buy the scale...just to try it out.
I am confident they would take it back if you were unsatisfied.

CM

Johnw...ski
09-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Here is the scale I decided on.
An Acculab VIC-212.

John

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk166/JohnWski/VIC-212.jpg

Boerrancher
09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
John,

That is the same brand scale I use to weigh gemstones with just a newer model. Great scale, but a PITA to get level. It is super accurate but this makes it super sensitive. If you are going digital Acculab is a great brand.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Johnw...ski
10-04-2008, 07:58 AM
I received my new Acculab VIC-212 scale yesterday. It's a very substantial piece of equipment, about 6-1/2" x 10" x 3" high.

This model has no leveling bubble so leveling is not required as long as it's on a reletively flat and level surface.

I has more functions and features than I'll ever need, however when weighing grains it reads out in 2/10 th. increments, which is adaquate for my needs but 1/10 th. would have been better. More on that later.

The scale takes a bit of time to set up/program in my case I set it to weigh grains and the auto shut off to turn it off after 10 min. of non use.

Warm up is almost instant and it is recomended that it be calibrated when started especially if it has been moved. In practice it seems to work as well when it's been moved and restarted with or without calibration. When weighing the zero is rock solid and when I weigh a bullet and put it aside then reweigh it it's always the same weight no matter how many other bullets I have weighed or even if the scale has been turned on and off. The Lyman I had could weigh to
1/10 th. but getting it to repeat was another thing and not just a 1/10 th. or so either way but sometimes 3 or 4 tenths, so I would say that even with the
2/10 th. resolution this scale is still much more accuratre.

I paid $164.95 for it which isn't cheap but it's sort of like buying tools from
Snap-On and buying tools from Harbor Freight there is no comparison.

John