PDA

View Full Version : //cylinder reaming?

KansasKid
10-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Would like to get in touch with DougGuy. The latest issue of "The Fouling Shot"has an article in which DougGuy is mentioned as making this service available. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Preacher Jim
10-08-2018, 12:21 PM
PM Doug guy and tell him what you need he does great work.

Wheelguns 1961
10-08-2018, 12:22 PM
His forum name is DougGuy. Use the search function to find one of his posts. Click on his name, and send him a PM. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable.

DougGuy
10-08-2018, 09:04 PM
KansasKid simply left click on my name over to the left, choose "private message" from the drop down menu.. Please include the caliber and gun make in your message..

LesRoss
10-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Doug,
You seem to be a knowledgeable and respected guy on this site. Maybe you can help.

I want to shoot my own cast bullets to keep ammo cost down. Currently shooting a Colt Trooper III (.38/.357), Ruger Bisley Vaquero (45LC) and a Navy Arms SSA clone (45LC). I have trouble with leading in all three guns. I hardened my range scrap lead up to BN 18 or so with RotoMetals 30% antimony. I have tried Alox, RBCS lube sizer with the orange stuff, and the high tech plastic you have to bake on in the oven and gas checks. I have not yet tried power coating. That's next.

During the course of all of these trials, I still have to clean the lead from cylinder, forcing cone and the first half inch or so of rifling.
I'm worried about harming the gun with aggressive cleaning. I originally found this forum because I was considering a cylinder ream to help cleaning. Not sure if this is a good idea or will even work.

Any advice you can give on removing lead or, more importantly, not getting it in the first place, would be much appreciated.

Les

Outpost75
10-15-2018, 01:10 PM
LesRoss,

Why are you shooting such hard bullets? I think THAT is your problem, because the hard bullets will not upset to form a gas seal. I use 1:30 tin-lead, about 8 BHN in my .44-40, .44 Mag. and .45 Colt loads with bullet diameter 0.001" less than throat size and have no leading issues.