PDA

View Full Version : Homemade wad

kevinsmith5
09-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Have hammer driven cutter I've used to cut card wad. Want to cut own felt wads, what kind of felt do I need to get? Shooting 45-70 with various cast bullets, have 150 gr collar buttons I want to decrease powder charge on.

NickSS
09-28-2008, 10:24 PM
wool felt is what you want. I usually go to garage sales and look for old hats that people are selling. You can get several hundred wads from one hat. I usually dip them in melted lube and let them set on some wax paper to dry. I mostly use them in my cap and ball revolvers.

hiram
09-28-2008, 11:54 PM
try http://durofelt.com/image_26.html

Buckshot
09-29-2008, 04:09 AM
...............I used to do what NickSS suggested, and it's still an okay means. I would cut them up, put them in an old pillowcase and drop them into the washer along with a regular load of laundry. But after that I'd run them with a bit of soap by themselves and run them through 2 rinse cycles. That way I wa sure to be getting ALL the dirt and dust out of the felt.

I then discovered the outfit that hiram posted the address to. I found them while looking for felt to make some way wipers for my lathe. They're a good responsive outfit to buy from and are MUCH cheaper then any other place I've found.

................Buckshot

missionary5155
09-29-2008, 06:21 AM
+ 10 on the old wool hat... holds lube well if you want to do that... rub some bees wax on them and load that side up. Makes the round smell like honey and my wife does not mind the boxes on the table so much. My wife also does the CRAFTY stuff and has left over chunks of felt... so some of my wad batches are muticolored. Ialso use cereal box... juice box..