PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for hot/smoked venison sausage

crabo
09-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Anyone have any? My brother in law comes up with some good ones, but never writes anything down. We want to try some new things this year and be able to repeat our favorites.

One thing we are going to try to duplicate is a bluberry/maple syrup link sausage that we buy from Central Market. Sounds crazy, but it is delicious.

Thanks,

TyCobb
10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I love deer hotlinks. Only ever found one place that had good one. Ye old butcher shop in Plano. This was in the 90's but the guy that ran the place farmed the hotlink making out to another guy and all the deer meat was pooled in the batches that were made. I did not really like that idea. I quit using them to process my deer. Last year I finally got a Cabelas meat grinder with sasuage stuffer ect. Man that was a good purchase. Any way I found the following recipe a while back on the internet, and it is just about spot on for old fashion East Texas Hotlinks. I just replaced the Beef with Vension.

Bigwheel's Texas Hotlinks

5 pounds coarse ground pork butt
2 pounds coarse ground beef
1 cup cold water
2 T. fresh ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. hungarian paprika
1 T. minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon corriander
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground thyme
6 teaspoons mortons tender quick
1/2 teaspoon msg

After much experimentation and help from numerous sources I have stumbled over the exact formula for genuine Texas Hotlinks. Goes something like unto this: Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the water and place in refrigerator while you grind the meats. Mix up the meats then add the water to the meat mixture a little at a time, kneading to combine. Run meat mixture through the coarse plate one more time and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. These things are so good the godless left wing liberal commie pinko democrats will probably try to make them illegal. So if your going to make some..do it soon. Posted to the BBQ-List by Jeff Wheeler