PDA

View Full Version : Help with Older Granite safe.

myg30
10-02-2018, 08:30 PM
I won on a bid to get an EMPTY, 1990’s Granite safe 60”x35”x27”. NO KEY, NO COMBO ! Rotary dial type and key lock handle I believe.
I called a safe store and asked about the cost in getting it opened and lock replaced.
With new lock $500-$650 “IF” I deliver it to them.
Does any one have a suggestion for a less costly fix ?
If I knew where to drill and open it will Granite or ?? Sell me a new dial lock ?
Where should I start ? I will call Granite tomorrow and I should have a serial number for it if that helps.

Any help sure appreciated, suggestions ? You can also PM me for my cell number if you would like to talk instead or ask questions.

Mike

Petrol & Powder
10-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Find a different locksmith.

If the safe has a visible serial number on it, the locksmith should be able to get the combination, assuming it hasn't been changed.
That handles getting the safe open.

IF,....you want a new lock they can sell you one but I would just change the wheels and reset the combination.

If the combination isn't available, a good locksmith should be able to get it open but that will require time at their hourly rate.

Any destructive technique to get the safe open will require repair and maybe a new lock, so that route will likely cost more than the safe is worth.

Petrol & Powder
10-02-2018, 08:46 PM
And BTW, the make of the safe isn't that important. Most of them have a S&G lock.

kodiak1
10-02-2018, 08:47 PM
I had to get the combo from Sentry Safes a few years back.
They wanted the serial number the bill of sale which I didn't have. The safe was about 12 years old.
So I ended up going to a Lawyer and swearing to him that the safe was mine and in my possess then he wrote up a letter for Sentry that he Notarized and applied his stamp to.
Mailed off all the information and about 4 weeks later I got the combination in an email.
It was the correct one too.

DCM
10-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Another one for try a different locksmith, the older the better.
A friend took a lock and key that didn't work too well to a guy local to him that was of no help at all. I asked him for the lock and key and took them to an older locksmith I know, he simply made new keys to fit the worn tumbler. They worked better than most new locks.
I asked him about cracking rotary locks once and he said they can be easy too very troublesome. He said the fastest way for the troublemakers is destructive, hope you don't need to go there.

samari46
10-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Had a buddy who found a safe in the dump on company property. Locked of course. Took 3 of us to get in in the trunk of his car. Couple weeks later he tells me after cleaning the outside a friend who's a locksmith opened it for him and reset the combination. When I was over at his house couldn't believe it was the same safe. Sometimes you luck out. Frank

Plate plinker
10-03-2018, 05:43 AM
Buy a stethoscope and have some fun.

Thin Man
10-03-2018, 05:45 AM
A while back I bought a safe that had been declared surplus from a local military base. It is about 5 feet tall and about 2 1/2 feet square and originally had a brass lock on the door. A friend had bought the safe and his sons decided to disassemble the lock, then lost most of the parts they removed. What a shame, that brass lock was beautiful. This friend sold me the safe for cheap as he knew it would require a new lock. I took it to a local lock shop and they installed a new lock and even set the tumblers so the new combination numbers are my date of birth. Guess that makes it really personal to me. This older safe has no temperature protection panel inside it and is little more than a strong-box but I have just under $200 total funds in the safe with a new lock on it. Not bad at all.

Petrol & Powder
10-03-2018, 06:38 AM
I'm not too sure I would advertise that the combination to my safe was my date of birth...........

I hope the only thing stored in it is your birth certificate.

DCP
10-03-2018, 09:12 AM
I'm not too sure I would advertise that the combination to my safe was my date of birth...........

I hope the only thing stored in it is your birth certificate.

My thoughts exactly

mold maker
10-03-2018, 09:25 AM
The lock failed on my safe and access to its contents was impossible. A local locksmith opened and replaced the lock. Although the total price exceeded the safe value, I still have a working safe and access to the contents.
Not all locksmiths are equal even though expensive. Shop around and ask for references.

pete501
10-03-2018, 10:20 AM
I purchased a small locked fire safe. I was thinking it could have stock certificates or cash inside. I contacted the company. They needed a check first, I think it was $55 with no guarantee that the combo would work. The combo didn't work so I used brute force to open it and it was empty of course.

TCLouis
10-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Wonder why thieves try the owner and spouses DOB first when trying to open a safe . . .
That is the rumor anyway!

rl69
10-03-2018, 06:21 PM
I barely know my wife's birthday much less my neighbors

myg30
10-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Granite is impossible to get hold of. Long wait on the phone then a transfer to a full mail box! Why even bother having a phone number?
Got hold of a Older locksmith and with a new electronic lock, non battery type the price is higher
$800-$850 plus tax.
This is getting interesting. The quest continues.

Mike

myg30
10-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Things are looking up some now. As it turns out there is a Key and the safe will open with the key.
Boy that is a relief.
Can a new electronic lock be purchased by me or are they a lock smith item only ?. I’m thinking of going electronic if I can’t get combo going.
Where can I find info on resetting the combo myself since the door is open.

Mike

Mike

skeettx
10-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Is this of assistance?

Granite Security Products, Inc. doing business as Winchester Safes, offers a Limited
Lifetime Warranty that warants that this product will be free from defects in materials
and workmanship for the life of the safe. The Sargent and Greenleaf or La Gard Lock used
on the safe comes with a (2) two year warranty against defects in materials and
workmanship. For a nominal fee, the lock warranty can be extended an additional (9)
nine years, for a total of (11) eleven years warranty coverage on the lock
Contact Winchester Safes Customer Service Department to purchase the additional
coverage on the lock

https://winchestersafes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2017-Winchester-Safes-Owner-Manual-for-Web.pdf

Page 15
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. Can I change the mechanical lock combination to my safe?
A. No. Only a Certified Safe Technician can change the mechanical lock combination .
The mechanical lock combination can be changed and requires special tools and knowl-
edge. You must contact a Certified Safe Technician in your local area for this service

Mike

ascast
10-04-2018, 06:30 PM
removable panel on inside of door? take it off, you should see tumblers with pins in them.