PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 45-500-bps

klw
09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
I want to start experimenting with my Pedersoli 45-120. I'm going to use this RCBS mould. I've got three possible alloys, lead, linotype and wheelweights. I'm thinking about giving a pure lead bullet a try. Any thoughts on which alloy might be best?

powderburnerr
09-28-2008, 01:55 PM
you gonna shoot black or smokeless

klw
09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
you gonna shoot black or smokeless

Smokeless

powderburnerr
09-28-2008, 05:04 PM
cannot help with that .. it sizes right in my mould with 25-1 and pan lubeing but it is soft ..........Dean

13Echo
09-28-2008, 08:48 PM
You're going to have a heap of trouble trying to shoot smokeless in that huge case. Do yourself a favor and try black or, shudder, even Pyrodex. I use a 30:1 alloy in my 45-90. The Lyman 457125 casts at .458" and I pan lube and shoot as cast with black powder. Cuts cloverleaf groups at 100yds. The 45-120 can be made to shoot but everyone that succeeds does it with black..
Jerry Liles

Jim
09-29-2008, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't think you'd have any more trouble loading smokeless in a 45-120 than you would in a .458 Lott, a Weatherby .460 Mag. or a .50 BMG. I WOULD, however, do a good bit of research before I ran out and bought an 8 pounder of powder. The data you need is out there. You gotta work at it to find it.

klw
09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't think you'd have any more trouble loading smokeless in a 45-120 than you would in a .458 Lott, a Weatherby .460 Mag. or a .50 BMG. I WOULD, however, do a good bit of research before I ran out and bought an 8 pounder of powder. The data you need is out there. You gotta work at it to find it.

There are smokeless loads for the 45-120 in the Accurate Arms manual.

13Echo
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes there are smokeless loads listed and it is about like a rimmed .458 Lott. However the Lott uses large charges of smokeless behind Jacketed bullets to get high velocities, with really stout recoil. As for smokeless loads with a lead bullet you will still have a lot of case space full of air which , usually, does not equate with decent accuracy. With the stock design of a Sharps a full house load of smokeless is going to be extremely painful to shoot. From what I've read of other's experience best accuracy came with 100 to 120 grs of Fg black with careful attention to fouling control. I haven't read of anyone having decent accuracy with smokeless though it could happen. For a pseudo black powder that is really smokeless in disquise perhaps Blackhorn would do - but boy is that stuff expensive! Try and see what you get and let us know how it works.

Jerry Liles

Just Duke
09-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Smokeless

OH! Blasphemy! Just kiddin.
Come join us down in the black powder section and we can blow ourselves up together. lol

klw
09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Yes there are smokeless loads listed and it is about like a rimmed .458 Lott. However the Lott uses large charges of smokeless behind Jacketed bullets to get high velocities, with really stout recoil. As for smokeless loads with a lead bullet you will still have a lot of case space full of air which , usually, does not equate with decent accuracy. With the stock design of a Sharps a full house load of smokeless is going to be extremely painful to shoot. From what I've read of other's experience best accuracy came with 100 to 120 grs of Fg black with careful attention to fouling control. I haven't read of anyone having decent accuracy with smokeless though it could happen. For a pseudo black powder that is really smokeless in disquise perhaps Blackhorn would do - but boy is that stuff expensive! Try and see what you get and let us know how it works.

Jerry Liles

What are the pseudo black powder's these days. I'm still using Black Canyon though I also have a pound of Pyrodex Cartridge and two pounds of Clean Shot.