PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket Caved

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Remember Photobucket discontinued free third party hosting and they put out a statement that a paid membership of $400 per year would allow you to continue hosting your photos...if you chose NOT to pay, they gave a deadline of Dec 31 2018, after which they would no longer support your "free" account albums...and I assume those albums would be deleted.

Well, it appears photobucket caved in. I figured they would, because if they didn't, their business would likely go under.

I got this email today.

Sent: Monday, October 1, 2018 7:05 PM
To: JonB...
Subject: Learn how we’re keeping Free Hosting, FREE photobucket

Starting October 10th, you will see a discreet “Proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on any images you display on sites other than Photobucket.

This change will allow us to continue offering our image hosting service to you as a free user. If you don’t mind the watermark and wish to continue as a free user, you won’t need to do anything. If you prefer no watermarking, simply upgrade to one of our affordable premium plans starting at $4.03 per month and enjoy all of the benefits of membership.

For a limited time, upgrade now for just $1 per month!

Tom W.
10-01-2018, 11:10 PM
I got that one too. I noticed that I could access and post my photos that were held captive about a month ago. I was surprised a little......

lefty o
10-01-2018, 11:10 PM
effum! they made a choice to be greedy, let em fail.

coloraydo
10-02-2018, 01:34 AM
No dog in this fight, I don't use them, but what are they saying here. Starting October 10th, you will see a discreet “Proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on any images you display on sites other than Photobucket.

abunaitoo
10-02-2018, 02:50 AM
Don't use them.
Did once, but never again.
I hope they sink.
Along with dicks, levi, yeti and nike

Tackleberry41
10-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Yea bet people just waited inline to fork over $400.

dyecocker1
10-02-2018, 08:34 AM
I switched to FLickr when Photobucket decided to charge. Its free, and the website isn't nearly at glitchy and slow as Photobucket always was

Omega
10-02-2018, 09:44 AM
No dog in this fight, I don't use them, but what are they saying here. Starting October 10th, you will see a discreet “Proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on any images you display on sites other than Photobucket.They will add that watermark to your images when you place them here, or any other site except photobucket. Depending on how discreet the watermark (advertising) is, it may not be too bad, but if its like those sites that place it corner to corner that will be a problem. The problem for them is many, like me, took many of their pics and loaded them elsewhere (imgur for me) and I will not go back.

swheeler
10-02-2018, 09:52 AM
I said my good byes a year ago, will never darken their doorway again.

2wheelDuke
10-02-2018, 09:54 AM
On the plus side, this should benefit people looking at old threads that were full of blocked pictures.

Still, I don't think I'll be uploading anything new to Photobucket, and I certainly won't be ordering prints or coffee mugs or any of that from them.

A couple times I've checked my account looking to download some old photos, and it's horrible now with the ads they've got on the site.

dragon813gt
10-02-2018, 11:36 AM
On the plus side, this should benefit people looking at old threads that were full of blocked pictures.

Only if people didn’t remove their photos from Photobucket. I pulled all of mine from the site which broke countless threads on a bunch of sites. I was using them since 2004 and had thousands of pictures there. I know a lot of other people that pulled all their photos as well. So there will still be a lot of broken threads.

They screwed up royally. I was a paying customer. They made an unreasonable request and I moved on. I was already using Flickr so their decision simply forced my hand. I expect most people to have short memories and use Photobucket. I won’t be using their services ever again.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Addressing many of the negative responses here, I totally understand...BUT, I had a ton of photos there, many of which are only there due to my laptop harddrive crash. Many of them are there solely for hosting here and a couple other web forums, so it wasn't "personally" worth the effort to upload them from Photobucket, due to the extremely slow rate because of popup advertising. But 2wheelDuke says it well...

...SNIP

@ Omega,
Photobucket claims the watermark (advertising) will not be intrusive, It takes up about 5%-10% of the photo in lower left corner, I am unable to upload the GIF that was in the email that shows an example :-(

sureYnot
10-02-2018, 12:16 PM
They will add that watermark to your images when you place them here, or any other site except photobucket. Depending on how discreet the watermark (advertising) is, it may not be too bad, but if its like those sites that place it corner to corner that will be a problem. The problem for them is many, like me, took many of their pics and loaded them elsewhere (imgur for me) and I will not go back.+1 imgur is good enough for who it's for

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Omega
10-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Addressing many of the negative responses here, I totally understand...BUT, I had a ton of photos there, many of which are only there due to my laptop harddrive crash. Many of them are there solely for hosting here and a couple other web forums, so it wasn't "personally" worth the effort to upload them from Photobucket, due to the extremely slow rate because of popup advertising. But 2wheelDuke says it well...

@ Omega,
Photobucket claims the watermark (advertising) will not be intrusive, It takes up about 5%-10% of the photo in lower left corner, I am unable to upload the GIF that was in the email that shows an example :-(
Here is one, oddly enough one of the only ones to come up with "photobucket watermark" in google.

Grmps
10-02-2018, 01:02 PM

@ Omega,

Try this Jon
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Try this Jon
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots

Thanks, but the image was a GIF...kinda of half photo and half video. The watermark appears then disappears in the GIF.
When I up loaded it, The photo came up without the water mark appearing.

The moment is past, and I got my point across, so I no longer care...But thanks for posting the link.
and thanks even more for posting the Viva Mexico image

Smoke4320
10-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Pulled all my photos from their site following the $400.00 announcement.
It was slow then and worse now so they could make it $1.00 a month and I would not go back

Grmps
10-02-2018, 01:27 PM
When you click on the snipping tool, if freezes the image of any video/gif/etc that is playing so you can get a copy of it :)

2wheelDuke
10-02-2018, 04:29 PM
I never got around to pulling my photos from what I recall. Their site became so cumbersome that I just never got around to it.

I'll have to look for some of my old threads here and see after 10/10.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Petrol & Powder
10-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Of course they caved

MaryB
10-02-2018, 09:08 PM
To late and to bad, I went to imgur and moved all my photos.

DCM
10-02-2018, 09:08 PM
I stopped using their services long before the $400 stuff. I kept getting a worm every time I went to their site, informed them of it and they did nothing. Done and Done long time passing.

Thundarstick
10-02-2018, 10:22 PM
Their move chapped my buns so badly I deleted every single thing and closed my account. I wouldn't go back to them if they offered to pay ME! :bootgive:

Elkins45
10-02-2018, 10:23 PM
I stopped using them but I didn't pull my old pix. Maybe that means some of my old posts with pictures will now make sense again.

I'm not a communist so I'm not opposed to them making a profit, but I didn't feel like I was getting $400 worth of value out of posting a few pictures. I also had them make a 16x20 canvas print for me once and it was really nice. If the site has sped up a bit and I don't have to see ads I might be willing to pay a few bucks a month--it just seems fair.

nun2kute
10-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Never used PB, other than viewing old posts here trying to learn something. And I for one am **** glad none of your are going back. Giving hard earned money to PB would be like opening an account at Wells Fargo ….. Ppffffft …. C-ya !!!!!!

dragon813gt
10-03-2018, 07:35 AM
If the site has sped up a bit and I don't have to see ads I might be willing to pay a few bucks a month--it just seems fair.

I was on of their Pro members which I believe was $50 a year. Considering you give them the rights to your photos this is a fair price. I had no problem paying this price. They went from getting my money every year to getting nothing. Their loss, not mine.

I can’t tell you anything about their site. Their app worked great and there were no adds on it. Like a lot of companies they out more effort into the mobile side.

Geezer in NH
10-07-2018, 07:14 PM
To late to bad PB should die.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Today, I logged into photobucket for the first time in many many months to upload a couple photos for the current Castpic of the month contest. It's the first time since their changes that were suppose to take effect on Oct 10 2018. They required a email verification with no instructions or no Hot link, just a link. I cut and paste it into the address window...boom verified.

The uploading and copying a "img" link was easy and no Lag or Lockup. The Lag and Lockup used to be so common, even before their Big $400 ultimatum. Maybe they fixed their website?

Grmps
11-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Maybe they ran off so many people there aren't enough people using it to cause lag/lock-up :)

dragon813gt
11-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Maybe they ran off so many people there aren't enough people using it to cause lag/lock-up :)

Winner!

243winxb
11-21-2018, 09:47 PM
I still use it, because of all the photos i have there. Its free so far.

New CEO is in charge now.

http://www.photobucket.com/joe1944usa

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/2018%20%20Reloading/20180629_210222_zpss0fnts2f.jpg

dragon813gt
11-22-2018, 02:24 PM
I can only assume that Flickr saw a large influx of users. Because they’ve decided to limit the free accounts and start charging a fee for certain features. I can’t blame them. But the fee is higher than what I was paying Photobucket and Flickr’s app is a joke. It doesn’t generate img tags. And you need to run a mobile browser in desktop mode to be able to generate them. I don’t understand why companies don’t understand how people use their services.

Grmps
11-22-2018, 02:39 PM
I've had very good luck with IMGUR.

possom813
11-22-2018, 03:18 PM
I like Flickr. I can take pics with my phone and they go straight to Flickr as locked photos.

I can then go to the app and unlock what I want to use.

Then head to the laptop and Flickr and copy the img tags to post on the forum.

Photobucket, I had to take the pic, move it to the laptop, upload it to photobucket, then copy the img tag.

dragon813gt
11-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Photobucket, I had to take the pic, move it to the laptop, upload it to photobucket, then copy the img tag.
You were doing something wrong. Most likely didn’t give the Photobucket app access to your camera roll. It allowed direct download from your phone. And it generated a bunch of hotlink tags for different purposes w/in the app. Flickr has a lot more steps for posting pics to forums.

possom813
11-22-2018, 08:18 PM
Flickr is pretty simple.

1st, I take the pic with the phone and it automatically uploads it to Flickr

2nd, I can either unlock the pics from my phone or the computer

3rd, I click on the pic I want and click the 'share' arrow

4th, a little screen pops up with several different ways to share it, just click on the one you want to use

5th, copy and paste the bbcode, I delete the tags outside of the img brackets, but it's not necessary.

Done.

With photobucket, the app never worked right for me. I could manually select photos to send to photobucket, but with Flickr it's automatic.

Everything else with photobucket is pretty similar to flickr, just a different layout design and Flickr's albums are more complicated to use.

possom813
11-22-2018, 08:19 PM
As for the Flickr app, I haven't figured out how to get the img tags from it. All I've been able to successfully do when posting from the app is to get a hotlink.

MyFlatline
11-22-2018, 08:28 PM
I've had very good luck with IMGUR.

That's where I'm at also. Have been very happy.

dragon813gt
11-22-2018, 08:59 PM
As for the Flickr app, I haven't figured out how to get the img tags from it. All I've been able to successfully do when posting from the app is to get a hotlink.

The app does not generate img links. No mobile version of Flickr will generate these. You have to run a desktop browser, or mobile browser in desktop mode, to generate the links. And even when you do this, copying them is a real pain due to the way mobile OS’s highlight words. Until they add this feature to the app Flickr will always be lacking.

As far as turning on auto upload, no way. I only do this to my personal server. I don’t want every photo I take being uploaded to a cloud service. Don’t have any in iCloud. Didn’t then the feature on for Dropbox. I’m selective of what pics I upload anywhere that I don’t have full control over. I know many people don’t have a problem uploading everything to the cloud. I’m not one of them.

HangFireW8
11-22-2018, 09:48 PM
I'm happy to hear this as just about every forum I go to has a long running picture heavy thread ( or many such threads) that have been a trainwreck of broken pics since this stupid move. Now I can enjoy them again.

Not defending what PB did, holding people's pictures hostage was a real dick move.