PDA

View Full Version : Swiss "Sporting Powder"?

rfd
10-01-2018, 09:49 AM
The "old" Swiss powder is now called "Caviar" and there's a new powder called "Sporting".

Anyone know the difference?

arcticap
10-01-2018, 11:51 AM
I didn't know about it but looked it up.
The Buffalo Arms product page says that it's a ball powder that meters better in powder meters.--->>> https://www.buffaloarms.com/1-5-f-swiss-caviar-ball-black-powder-quantity-discounts-will-be-applied-in-your-cart-once-you-order-a-total-of-10-pounds-or-more-of-any-black-powder-swiss1-5fcaviar

The next thread was very enlightening.
It mentions the difference between "cracked powder" and "ball powder" and how it helps with metering for BP cartridges:--->>> https://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22252

I've read that Goex used to have a black powder named "Cartridge", but didn't realize that the granule shape may have been different.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention or I would have never known about it.

Chill Wills
10-01-2018, 12:07 PM
The "old" Swiss powder is now called "Caviar" and there's a new powder called "Sporting".

Anyone know the difference?

I don't know what your looking at so I don't want to contradict.

The old powder is like always, graded corned granules. The new, about 3 years ago, is a spherical powder, harder to make and shape so more $$. Called Caviar as it looks like the fish eggs, roe. The new powder is having mixed reviews. It meters well. Maybe does not shoot any better.

I have avoided it because once tried, I might then think I need it :p

pietro
10-01-2018, 01:38 PM

I would opine that not many frontstuffer shooters want to use a powder measuring machine for their charges ILO the hand held volume measures that have been the Gold Standard for centuries.

oldracer
10-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Well since the various championship matches are about all done with for 2018 I would suggest checking to see what the winners used? That is the way things worked in the past with percussion caps, makes of rifles, wads, mold manufactures, ETC. I will probably stay with my trusty 'ol Goex FFG.
John

rodwha
10-02-2018, 12:47 PM
My understanding is that the powder bottle on the right is an older bottle that’s been discontinued.