PDA

View Full Version : Casting list of things needed.

Vstrom
09-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Hello I am worried about the possible ban on lead is Washington state so I want to re start casting It has been a long time! I have a luber sizer from RCBS and a lot of lead,the indoor range I use has a lead only policy and has a way of reclaiming shot lead so i have coffee cans full that can be reloaded! my long winded question is, is there a list of things I need to purchase to do a good job of reloading? I did a search but had no results. And Christmas is comming up!!!:-D:-D

dwtim
09-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Hello,

I'm a bit unsure about what you are asking. Are you looking for a list of things for casting or reloading?

mooman76
09-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Yes there is a list. Not literally because each person desides what he needs from bare minimum to all the bells and whistles. Tell us where you are at and where you ar going.

looseprojectile
09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
There will be no Christmas this year.
Just kidding!
Get your stuff now. First you will need loading manuals, several. Lymans cast bullet handbook is best for boolits.
Loading press, dies for each cartrige, shell holders to fit, sizing dies for each boolit diameter, case lube is necessary for rifle case sizing, a scale, a dial caliper and suitable powder. Of course primers of the correct size for rifle and pistol and cartrige cases. Some means for dispensing powder is good also, powder measure is good, Lee dippers work.
For casting boolits, a lead pot, I use an electric bottom pour, you can use an open pot and dipper and a Coleman stove. A mould for each boolit, a stir stick and a spoon to skim the dross and a little flux and your in business.
I must warn you that you will probably discover that you will need several dozen more, expensive single purpose tools and fixtures like I have and seldom use, such as a case trimmer, neck turner, primer pocket uniformer, flash hole uniformer and tools to bell case mouths to ease seating boolits. That is up to you.
Life is good Welcome to cast boolits

looseprojectile
09-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I get most of my reloading stuff at gun shows. Used dies can be had for ten or fifteen bucks and are usually good as new. There should be two gunshows before Christmas in your area. I get most of my gear and components at the local shows. No tax or shipping charges! Better prices too.
Come back with any questions and get all the support you need here.
Welcome again.

Vstrom
09-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Sorry about the confusion , I have all the reloading equipment I need, just ask my wife! What I am looking to do is to restart casting boolits. I am a firm believer in quality product make for quality results, let me know what I would need for quality casting. Thanks!! :-D

testhop
09-29-2008, 09:38 AM
ok for quality go RCBS OR SAECO for moulds SAECO HAS MOULDS FROM 1,2,3,4,CAVYS AND ON SPECIAL ORDER 3 6 8 CAVYS

and will cut diferent mould #for a extra cost
i have a couple of the saecos and very happy with them
thercbs pro meltfurnace is IMOthe best if you bottom pour

DLCTEX
09-29-2008, 01:20 PM
You will also need to size and lube the boolits you cast. I gather you are shooting pistol at an indoor range. I would recomend plain base molds and size with an RCBS lubrasizer, which will require lube sticks (available from site sponsers at bottom of page) and a sizer die for each caliber. You could use Lee (also a site sponser) push through dies, saving the expense of a lubrasizer, and either pan lube or tumble lube with LLA (comes with the Lee dies). DALE