PDA

View Full Version : I get to experience a typhoon!

Idaho45guy
09-29-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm in Japan visiting my daughter and grandkids on Yukota AFB.

Typhoon Trami is headed our way and is supposed to hit tonight as a Cat 3. 100+mph winds and lot's of rain.

Should be quite the experience!

lightman
09-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Batten down the hatches! Take care.

lefty o
09-29-2018, 08:55 PM
been thru a couple on ships, never tried one on land.

Idaho45guy
09-29-2018, 09:12 PM
We're in a concrete block 4-plex on base. We're safe. Have plenty of water and supplies ready. Really surprised at the lack of preparation by the military families around us. Every direction I look I see trampolines, barbeques, and other **** just sitting outside ready to be turned into missiles when the 100mph winds come.

Really disappointing to see so much lack of preparation.

Omega
09-29-2018, 10:11 PM
We're in a concrete block 4-plex on base. We're safe. Have plenty of water and supplies ready. Really surprised at the lack of preparation by the military families around us. Every direction I look I see trampolines, barbeques, and other **** just sitting outside ready to be turned into missiles when the 100mph winds come.

Really disappointing to see so much lack of preparation.Don't be surprised, people are people. I was there for four years at Sagami Depot, was placed on patrol during one storm, nothing major, but had to retrieve a few trash cans, barbecues, and lawn chairs. Japan gets a few storms, their houses surprisingly do ok, even as light as they're built. The buildings on military bases are well built, so expect them to do better. Let us know how it goes.

osteodoc08
09-30-2018, 06:50 AM
Typhoon by any other name is a hurricane. Be careful

RED BEAR
09-30-2018, 07:20 AM
be safe never been through anything like that . best wishes for you and your family.

jsizemore
09-30-2018, 08:18 AM
I did this one while on Guam at the navy base:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Pamela_(1976)

I was raised on the Gulf coast so it seemed like all the others I'd seen.

owejia
09-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Was in the Army hospital in Okinawa in 67, 4th floor when typhoon hit only thing the staff did was moved us away from the windows, remember some really angry looking surf, big waves, don't remember if there was much damage. Be safe.

Idaho45guy
09-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Storm hit around 2130 and I saw maybe 70mph winds. No big deal. I've seen worse in Iowa. Went to bed and apparently the storm worsened. Woke up at 0630 and there is a lot of minor damage all over. Neighbor's stuff is scattered, of course, trampolines everywhere. Trees downed all over base.
Now I can say that I have been through a typhoon.

xs11jack
09-30-2018, 07:36 PM
I hate to be picky but your SLEPT thru a typhoon!!!!
Ole Jack

lefty o
09-30-2018, 08:02 PM
I hate to be picky but your SLEPT thru a typhoon!!!!
Ole Jack

you expected him to maybe go outside and fly a kite? LOL

Omega
09-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Surf's Up!

jsizemore
09-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Sleep when you can. There's plenty work to do when it's gone.

MstrEddy
10-01-2018, 04:59 PM
So, here I was last year, in South Florida, getting prepared for Hurricane Irma, get a text from a buddy, "hey, do you have a kite?"
So, I have to call him and ask -- though, I knew the answer, "A kite? What for?"
Of course, he wants to come out during the eye of the storm and fly a kite.

So, yeah, maybe fly a kite during the storm!

OP, glad to hear you and your family came through it alright.

osteodoc08
10-02-2018, 12:14 AM
Alls well that ends well.

Typhoon, check
Slept through typhoon, double check

samari46
10-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Was on shore leave in Yokokusa( spelling) japan when the shore patrol was telling us about an emergency recall because they had a typhoon heading out way and our carrier was heading out to sea. I was a snipe (engineering dept) so we had to light off the other two main engines and beat feet. In a foreign port they always had two of the 4 main engines and associated equipment lit off.So basically we had port and starboard liberty sections. Was an interesting experience to say the least. You'd watch the waves off the fantail.One minute you're looking down at the water the next you're looking up. Those who served in the navy aboard ships might have noticed this. Sea legs isn't a joke. We'd go ashore and for sometime you'd swear that all of us were drunk. Far from it, we were just getting our land legs back. Frank

lefty o
10-02-2018, 11:37 PM
Was on shore leave in Yokokusa( spelling) japan when the shore patrol was telling us about an emergency recall because they had a typhoon heading out way and our carrier was heading out to sea. I was a snipe (engineering dept) so we had to light off the other two main engines and beat feet. In a foreign port they always had two of the 4 main engines and associated equipment lit off.So basically we had port and starboard liberty sections. Was an interesting experience to say the least. You'd watch the waves off the fantail.One minute you're looking down at the water the next you're looking up. Those who served in the navy aboard ships might have noticed this. Sea legs isn't a joke. We'd go ashore and for sometime you'd swear that all of us were drunk. Far from it, we were just getting our land legs back. Frank

try it on an LST!