PDA

View Full Version : Some more smokeless in a percussion revolver

bigted
09-28-2018, 11:16 PM
Bout swallowed my tongue as i watched a YouTube from July 2018 where this goof actually loaded smokeless powder (clays) directly into the percussion cylinder. And his powder measure ( hold onto your **** now ) with a teaspoon. He actually said outloud on video that his charge is ... READY ... 3/4 of the teaspoon.

Now there is sooooo much wrong here i can scarcely speak about it but feel very strongly that before some innocent standing beside the individual that loads his/her Remington new model Army with 3/4 of a teaspoon of clays powder and loads 30 grains corn meal over the clays then crunching a ball over the mess and with rudimentary pressure with the loading lever.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Help me spread the word about the danger of this horrific load that is begging to grenade on him or worse yet ... on the poor unsuspecting folks that would be on either side of this foolishness.

I may very well be late to the party but .. if so as long as this unproven idjit is spreading this absolutely dangerous foolishness.

That my speel. Thanks for the help i know will be coming from this crazy mans suicide pact with himself.

bigted
09-28-2018, 11:19 PM
Yes he actually had a table teaspoon that he said outloud ... 3/4 full is his load of clays powder

bob208
09-28-2018, 11:42 PM
I used to go to a Harley dealer that had a real 58 Remington hanging on the wall that was wrecked. cylinder split with a chunk missing and the top strap half blown off. some fool tried smokeless in it.

as for you tube I would not even let 90% of those experts even look at one of my guns let alone handle it.

arcticap
09-29-2018, 01:59 AM
There's an old saying, "Don't believe anything that you hear and only half of what you see". :-)

Traffer
09-29-2018, 05:40 AM
Unfortunately there are people who fake videos like that to get foolish watchers to actually do the things they do. Most of those are innocuous, harmless comedy. But there are those who do it with the intention of getting someone hurt. I don't know how the policy of youtube is for those kinds of things but this guy needs to be reported and have his video taken down. There is free speech and then there are malicious dangerous pranks.

nicholst55
09-29-2018, 05:50 AM
You can report videos on YouTube by clicking on the three small dots at the bottom right of the video 'screen.' One of the reasons for reporting them is harmful or dangerous content.

dubber123
09-29-2018, 06:42 AM
If anyone wishes to try something like this without checking it out, its called Darwinism at work, and we could use a lot more of it in my opinion.

bigted
09-29-2018, 07:34 AM
If anyone wishes to try something like this without checking it out, its called Darwinism at work, and we could use a lot more of it in my opinion.

LOL. Yep i hear ya. I just would hate to hear of an innocent standing beside such a dip****( and getting a full impact from the shrapnel that very well could blind, maim or even kill ... especially our youngsters that are learning about the fun and historic arts of gun handling to be subjected to some igjit that is trying some crud he has seen on his tv in his/her front room and is new enough to shooting these great front stuffer weapons. You know that as with drunk drivers ... an incident usually only maimed the inocents and the idjit goes about their careless ways.

bigted
09-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Greatnortherndad is the publisher and his title for the vid is;

SMOKELESS POWDER IN A 58 REMINGTON REVOLVER

Please help me in reporting this before some innocent gets hurt.

KCSO
09-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Sorry I can't help it...soon there will be one idiot less in the world. No sympathy here.

Beerd
09-29-2018, 11:17 AM
I'm not much of a you-toober, does the video show him actually shooting that load?

Battis
09-29-2018, 12:26 PM
In the video, he alternates smokeless and black powder in the cylinder - every other chamber has smokeless, right next to the BP chambers. Many people warned him in the comment section, but others backed him. As long as he is all by his lonesome, and no one else is in danger, I say screw him and his stupidity. He will be a statistic before long. Maybe someone will pry the shattered cylinder from his sloped forehead and post it for others to see.

JSnover
09-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Ya can't save 'm all. Warnings didn't stop him, reporting his vids will probably just make him cry about censorship. Meanwhile there's a million other idiots burning and stabbing themselves, eating detergent pods. I gave up reporting stupid people when I realized we are woefully outnumbered.

Chill Wills
09-29-2018, 12:50 PM
If that does not kill him the outcome of other poor choices will. There is just no fixing stupid.

Of course we need to make C&B pistols illegal - because the family of people that use them wrong will be going after the manufactures.

Too bad he already (likely) contributed to the gene pool.

JSnover
09-29-2018, 01:00 PM
At least he appears to work alone so isn't a direct threat to anyone else.

bigted
09-29-2018, 02:43 PM
As long as he is by his lonesome i say good riddance. Probably wont be tho. And i would bet he will be first in line to bring the lawsuit. What a dink

rfd
09-29-2018, 03:03 PM
reported to youtube as i'm sure others have done so as well.

stupid public videos such as this one are not only dangerous to the uninformed, they're a blight on we in the firearms community.

Traffer
09-29-2018, 05:46 PM
I watched the video and was inspired to modify one of these pistols to shoot cartridge ammunition. I actually think that what he was doing was, with all things considered, fairly safe. HOWEVER. I do think that there are many people who know very little about guns who would certainly get the wrong impression about the video. It does make substituting smokeless for black powder look pretty harmless. And that should not be allowed. Giving people a false sense of security about a dangerous thing is the WORST thing a person can do on youtube (or anywhere else for that matter)

RU shooter
09-29-2018, 06:58 PM
Yes he actually had a table teaspoon that he said outloud ... 3/4 full is his load of clays powder
Wonder how many grains of clays that actually is ? No matter still a foolish venture

17nut
09-29-2018, 07:02 PM
I watched the video and was inspired to modify one of these pistols to shoot cartridge ammunition. I actually think that what he was doing was, with all things considered, fairly safe. HOWEVER. I do think that there are many people who know very little about guns who would certainly get the wrong impression about the video. It does make substituting smokeless for black powder look pretty harmless. And that should not be allowed. Giving people a false sense of security about a dangerous thing is the WORST thing a person can do on youtube (or anywhere else for that matter)

The thing he did (that will spike pressures) is using compacted fillers!
That will bring a load from low safe to high danger in no time flat.

I had (@1/4") bullet set back in a 1911 and that destroyed the barrel!
Due to insufficient crimp, recoil rattled the bullet and BOOM.

OldBearHair
09-29-2018, 07:36 PM
In this guy's mind's eye, his calculation of a 3/4 teaspoon of powder is the same but in reality varies greatly each time.

john.k
09-29-2018, 07:37 PM
The chambers of c&b revolvers are tapered toward the front and smaller than the bore,so its doubtful the filler could form a plug anywhere in the gun.....From my experience of doing silly things,I know the most likely danger is cap fragments blowing out ,as the extra pressure is enough to recock the hammer...........After all,plenty of c&b replica.Colts are being converted to cartridge,supposedly bp only,....but thats a subject for his next vid.

Mr_Sheesh
09-30-2018, 01:37 AM
Best to let that idiot BE an idiot, but agreed on reporting their stupidity, that's just wrong!

bigted
09-30-2018, 12:18 PM
LOL. Yep i hear ya. I just would hate to hear of an innocent standing beside such a dip****( and getting a full impact from the shrapnel that very well could blind, maim or even kill ... especially our youngsters that are learning about the fun and historic arts of gun handling to be subjected to some igjit that is trying some crud he has seen on his tv in his/her front room and is new enough to shooting these great front stuffer weapons. You know that as with drunk drivers ... an incident usually only maimed the inocents and the idjit goes about their careless ways.

Just for clarity here. I received an infraction for language. I did not spell out the word i intended but used the punctuation dollar and different other punctuation marks to complete my word so it did NOT spell out a language violation ... never the less for my reporting efforts and attention to a particularly dangerous situation , i find myself in a violation position instead of a gentle warning.

Whatever ... i have done my civic duty as i see it and guess my contributions here have become suspect. I call attention publicly to this infraction as a caution to you all that we seem to be in censorship here and to be very careful with any text as it seems harder and harder to stay off the radar from some.

HATCH
09-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Members only get one warning when they break the rules.
You got your warning for breaking a different rule last year.

Battis
09-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Is dipstick a bad word?

JSnover
09-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Don't sweat it. I got an infraction for the same thing and it didn't cost me any blood or money. I momentarily forgot the rule and the mods reminded me, problem solved.

HATCH
09-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Is dipstick a bad word?

nope.
If you type it and hit GO ADVANCE it will show you your post prior to you making it public.
if it is a censored word it will replace it with *s.

mozeppa
09-30-2018, 01:23 PM
pay attention guys ...it was NOT 3/4 of a teaspoon.

here's a direct quote from about the 4 minute Markhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=h6rDrpt0MTc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6rDrpt0MTc)

"and you'll notice in the reloading data...(if it focus, here we go.) 44 special 4.6 grains, 165 grain cast lead round nose...uh...that's very similar to what were working with in this particular black powder pistol.

so...um...of course what i ended up doing is ...i figured out that
the correct charge for for this...uh somewhere in the neighbor 4.6
grains...is about 2/3rds of a quarter teaspoon...so ...i guess i'm not...i'm too tired to do the math on that... but this quarter teaspoon...if i fill this about 2/3rds of the way up...it's just perfect
for that pistol....uh... of course that leaves a problem...that's not very much powder in these big cylinders...these big cylinders ...uh...over an inch deep."

then he goes on about the corn starch filler.

that aside ...he's still playing with problems........

we are a group of people dedicated to accuracy......try to be accurate in your reporting.....over sensationalizing the story is fake news.

mazo kid
09-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Well, that is better, but still.....loose smokeless powder in a C&B revolver cylinder is something I do not want to shoot or even be around anyone shooting it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2138614889483349&set=gm.2150659141816844&type=3&ifg=1
This was IIRC, a double charge (?) of Bullseye, so yeah, a healthy charge. Why he was using Bullseye is beyond me!

Battis
09-30-2018, 02:55 PM
2/3...3/4...it's still smokeless powder, sitting right next to black powder. It should be called out as very unsafe and, well, stupid. He might get away with it for awhile, but no good will come of it. Your car will float like a boat for awhile, but it's not a boat.

Buzzard II
09-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Stupid and probably stoned is no way to go through life. I'm surprised this dummy made it this far. The saving grace is that he's not long for the world doing this kind of stuff. I hope no one I know is near him when he gives up the ghost. Alpha Michael Foxtrot.

RED BEAR
09-30-2018, 03:52 PM
i blew up two guns in my younger days and my loads were only slightly over maximum because the loading manuals play it safe. WRONG!!!! i ended up with part of a barrel to my face just burnt and brushing and swelling now if that wasn't enough next time got a bit of shrapnel in my chest. i now never go to max loads might get close but will not load to the max. the only thing i still do that i probably shouldn't do is i check old guns myself instead of going through a gunsmith. i can check the timing and lockup and correct this my self. being a machinist who has reworked countless parts i can spot metal fatigue. some day i may be proved wrong. until then when i shoot a newly acquired gun i do it alone. not sure about your search but mine the very next video was a 1858 remington someone tried smokeless in . it was it about 5 pieces. just because you get away with something once doesn't mean it is safe. i hope this guy isn't really a dad would hate to think what his kid will go through when he gets hurt.

45workhorse
09-30-2018, 04:31 PM
We had a guy show up at our club one time with a 36 cal. Navy brass framed, revolver. He shot it six times and the gun sounded louder than normal, but really didn't pay much attention to him and his friend. I was walking past him when he was "trying" to load it a second time (I think). He bent the loading lever!! He was filling each chamber full of 3f, would rotate the cylinder to level the charge and then try to load a round ball!! The fouling was so bad that it caused him to bend the loading lever. He was schooled on a proper charge for his pistol, nicely.
He never came back to our range again,

rfd
09-30-2018, 06:10 PM
the only real concern that i have about that youtube smokeless-in-a-bp-gun video are for the poor clueless ignorant folks, as i and others were at one time in our lives, who might just take that dangerous advice at face value and wind up hurting or killing someone.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-30-2018, 07:58 PM
Very interesting subject, and one that I haven't run across for a long time. I'm talking smokeless in a black powder gun, not forum infractions!
Let me say right up front, I'm not at all advocating doing it. A really bad idea. That having been said, I think that the cylinders in today's BP revolvers are made of much better steel than were Sam's or Mr. Remington's. But of course, the conversion cylinders are made of even better steel and are proof tested. So, just wondering and speculating, I wonder if a suitable muzzle loading cylinder might not be made specifically to use smokeless powder, perhaps Trail Boss. It could certainly be overloaded, but for that matter so can a cartridge case. Oh well, just rambling........it won't be me.

arcticap
09-30-2018, 09:11 PM
Yes, "nitro conversions" are quite popular in the UK.
The cylinders have a rotating back plate for safety reasons. and all conversions are proof tested for use with smokeless powder by the government.
The guns resemble Richards – Mason cartridge conversions except they're not.
They even make a nitro powder dispenser for metering out the powder charges.

Here's just one UK company of many that make them for using with Herco smokeless powder & shotgun primers:--->>> http://www.anvilconversions.co.uk/index_files/Page564.htm

charlie b
09-30-2018, 09:12 PM
I agree that you could pour a proper amount of some smokeless powders and have a perfectly suitable load for a modern CB revolver. I would even venture that a .44 special load might be just about right.

BUT...there are so many who would ignore all common sense when trying smokeless. It is not limited to black powder firearms. A cop in a small town around here brought in his Dan Wesson .357 and said it didn't shoot well. Gunsmith took some factory rounds and dropped them in the cylinder. They literally 'rattled' around (yes, I was there when he did it). When asked, the cop said he shot reloads using Bullseye. When asked how much he said, "I don't know, I just put in what it would hold."

Gunsmith took the rest of his ammo, told him to never reload anything again, and then sent the pistol back to DW. DW sent the guy a letter saying the pistol was not repairable and they would be happy to refund his purchase cost. When asked they refused to sell him another gun.

That is the kind of guy who will take a CB revolver and fill it with whatever powder they have and expect it to fire safely.

Mr_Sheesh
10-01-2018, 12:59 AM
DW chose wisely there! Case full of bullseye - makes my hands hurt at the thought of it. And "Unsafe" is an understatement on those loads.

Stephen Cohen
10-01-2018, 04:50 AM
I just watched that clown and yes he is flirting with death, as are those who shoot near him. I doubt anything you say will sway him as he has done it and all worked out well, but the sad thing is that there are many ignorant people out there who have no idea like the uninformed guy who had squib loads at my local range and when asked he said he loaded 23gr of powder, the thing is he actually did load 23 single granules in the case and had no idea a grain was a measurement of weight. I reported the video but I doubt it will be taken down. Regards Stephen

Hickory
10-01-2018, 05:27 AM
These are the people who keep gun companies and Dr. In business.

arcticap
10-01-2018, 02:03 PM
I am in no way condoning what this guy is doing.
However, I do recall reading something about when NAA first came out with their mini .22 cap & ball revolver, they supposedly put in the manual
that it could be loaded with Bullseye smokeless powder.
Then the Feds stepped in and said that if they didn't stop it that they would classify the gun the same as a firearm.
So NAA dropped the notion of advertising that it could be loaded with Bullseye.

But it's widely known that many current NAA C&B owners do in fact load their NAA's with Bullseye powder because otherwise its velocity is rather anemic.
People have reported that to some extent, their tiny Bullseye loads do mimic .22LR & .22WMR rimfire rounds when fired from such a short barreled revolver,
and chronograph results have been mentioned too.
They use a very small CC measuring scoop which the amount of the charge can also be verified by weighing the Bullseye powder on a scale.
So only regarding the NAA .22 C&B revolver, loading it with a tiny amount of smokeless is not a new idea or practice.

I personally don't know if the pressures and repeated loading of the smokeless powder is safe or not for the quality of the steel that any C&B revolver is made with,
especially taking its design into account over a lifetime of such use.
I don't think that any corporations really want that liability, or any Federal intervention.
If there were safe, legal conversions available that allowed for loading C&B's with smokeless like there is in the UK, then it wouldn't be such a big deal.
But because there aren't any readily available, people end up experimenting on their own while risking their own life and limb and those of others as a result.

JoeJames
10-01-2018, 02:27 PM
I agree that you could pour a proper amount of some smokeless powders and have a perfectly suitable load for a modern CB revolver. I would even venture that a .44 special load might be just about right.

BUT...there are so many who would ignore all common sense when trying smokeless. It is not limited to black powder firearms. A cop in a small town around here brought in his Dan Wesson .357 and said it didn't shoot well. Gunsmith took some factory rounds and dropped them in the cylinder. They literally 'rattled' around (yes, I was there when he did it). When asked, the cop said he shot reloads using Bullseye. When asked how much he said, "I don't know, I just put in what it would hold."

Gunsmith took the rest of his ammo, told him to never reload anything again, and then sent the pistol back to DW. DW sent the guy a letter saying the pistol was not repairable and they would be happy to refund his purchase cost. When asked they refused to sell him another gun.

That is the kind of guy who will take a CB revolver and fill it with whatever powder they have and expect it to fire safely.Almost the same thing occurred here about 30 years ago. Local S.O. got in some reloading gear, and two deputies decided to try it out. S&W Model 66's were issue at the time. They called another deputy who reloaded and asked him how much Bullseye to use for their 357 loads. He thought they were joking around; so he told them "just fill 'er up, but leave enough room for the bullet". They did, and then took their loads over across the levee to try them out.

Result: Six foot blue flame, and a lasting testament to the strength of a S&W Model 66.