PDA

View Full Version : Old H&G 68 Mold.

Swamprat1052
09-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I have been reading about the H&G 68 Mold on here ever since I got my Kimber
1911. I have been shooting the Lee 452-200-SWC since I got it with good results but have wanted to try one of the old H&G molds. I finally caught a 2 cavity one on evil bay and bought with handles for about what a new RCBS and a set of handles would cost. Figured I paid way too much but I bit the bullet anyway. It looked a little rough on the outside but from the pics the cavities looked good. When I got it in I was pleased, the cavities looked like brand new.

It set on the shelf for a couple of weeks but the other day I got a new Lyman
429421 mold in for the 44 mag pistol I bought and got started casting some of them and decided to try the old H&G mold too. Man if they shoot as good as it casts I wouldnt trade it for 10 new ones. I dont know if its because it is seasoned well or if that mold was just made better but I cast nearly 1000 boolits with it and dont think I had 10 bad ones. I was having too much fun to quit.

I dont know how old this thing is but it is the best casting mold I've got. Its the
plain base (no bevel) and I cant wait to get to the range and try it out. I dont like ebay but I'll be watching for more of these old molds for my other calibers.

Swamprat

I

Le Loup Solitaire
09-27-2008, 08:01 PM
This was one of the most successful designs ever put out by H&G and their overall quality is hard to beat. I've had a 4 holer for many years and I don't believe that after all that time and countless castings I ever had a rejection rate that ran over 1-2% weightwise or otherwise/combined. I shot good scores with this mold many times and went on to acquire several other H&G molds for other pistol calibers. Its always been the same story...highest quality, smooth running molds that really crank them out in style. I paid over $100 for the #68 back in the day and it was worth every penny. Enjoy your mold; its a treasure. Check the H&G website. LLS

Jack Stanley
09-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Now you know why I treasure my H&G molds so much . My forty-five mold they made for me is a #292 . It's a four hole and makes bullets just as nice as you please . I have a four hole #67 that keeps my 32-20 busy .
I haven't bought one of the new Magma molds yet , Not sure if I need any more anyway but I haven't heard about their quality .

Enjoy that #68 they are nice bullets to shoot .

Jack

crabo
09-27-2008, 10:30 PM
The Ballasticast molds are as nice as the old H&Gs. I've got both. You can get the same mold as the original H&G.

Swamprat1052
09-28-2008, 12:24 AM
LLS,

I went to the web site and learned a lot. Looks like mine were made between 1933 and 1941
They are marked Geo. A. Hensley, San Diego, CA. Wow, they are older than I am (and that
takes some doing) and still cast great. I AM impressed now.

Thanks for the input guys.

Swamprat