PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Knife Repair?

Char-Gar
09-25-2018, 04:45 PM
My Great Grandmother had a Case Trapper two blade folding knife that I ended up with. About fourty years ago, I dropped it on a concreat floor and busted the scales. I was heart broken and just put it away.

There should be somebody I could sent it too for new scales and a general tune up. Ideas anybody.

ShooterAZ
09-25-2018, 05:02 PM
If they are true celluloid knife scales, I read that they are can be very difficult to repair. It appears that celluloid has a "life span" of around 50 years or so before it starts a deterioration process. Sentimental value could be worth a restoration I suppose.

https://kniferepairs.ca/Celluloid.html

Tatume
09-25-2018, 07:18 PM
I collect knives from friends and family to remember them by. If one needs repair, I'll repair it myself, and add my own touch to the memory. If that Case knife were mine, I would find a material I like, and make new scales for it. Then when I get it out, I'll remember the person who gave it to me, and the care I put into the repair.

country gent
09-25-2018, 07:20 PM
You might e-mail Case and see what they say. If I remember case had a lifetime warranty also. If the same model is till made they might put a new set on for you or send them to you

skeettx
09-25-2018, 07:48 PM
https://caseknives.com/pages/warranty-repair

waco
09-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear that Charles. I hope you can get it repaired to your liking.

JSnover
09-25-2018, 08:52 PM
I collected Case knives for years and have no doubt that they will take good care of yours. If they don't for whatever reason, I think we have a knifesmith section here at CB. Maybe one of the guys could hook you up with some custom replacement scales.

Tom W.
09-25-2018, 10:15 PM
You might check with Smoky Mountain Knife Works....

Char-Gar
09-25-2018, 10:41 PM
I collect knives from friends and family to remember them by. If one needs repair, I'll repair it myself, and add my own touch to the memory. If that Case knife were mine, I would find a material I like, and make new scales for it. Then when I get it out, I'll remember the person who gave it to me, and the care I put into the repair.

That is wonderful, but if I knew how, I would also. That is the reason for my post.

Thundarstick
09-25-2018, 11:05 PM
If Case won't repair it, with just a little looking you should find someone who makes, or repairs slip joint knives easily. I've replaced a few scale sets myself, and made single blade models from multi blade models. The most difficult part of the process for me is inleting the shield into the bone. Most Case knives have only 3 pins holding them together, and two pins on each side holding the scales. There easy to work on with just a few special tools.
There is a knife forum, much like CB, look in the traditional folders thread, some of the best builders in the world post there!

W.R.Buchanan
09-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Chas: Case will fix it. I too have a case knife collection, but I have never had to send one back.

They do have a lifetime warranty.

Randy

floydboy
09-29-2018, 09:30 PM
If your willing to do it yourself I would recommend you give it a try. Replacing scales doesn't require any special tools. I inherited two very old Keen Cutter three blade pocket knives my grandfather owned. They were the same model and both had a blade broke. Fortunately different blades on both knives were broke. I had to take them completely apart to make the repair. The scales were bone and long gone. I used a piece of deer antler to make my scales out of. Both the antler and knives meant a lot to me so I now have a treasured keepsake. It turned out pretty good. Not factory quality but I'm more than happy.

I am not a master knife maker but do like to piddle with them from time to time. I would highly recommend getting a book on knife repair. I have a few but a good one to start out with is, "The Complete Book of Knife Repair". Folding knives are not complicated but there are a few tricks that can make life a lot easier and increase your chances of success. As mentioned earlier inletting a shield is very time consuming. I use a Dremel tool. Just go slow and take your time. I've done my best by working a little and coming back a day or two later and doing some more. It's one of those things if you did everyday you can get pretty good. No more than I do I'll never get real good. Don't get caught up thinking you have to have any special tools. I do have a skiddy, or special anvil for knife making, I made and it's nice but not always necessary. Some small files and fine sandpaper will make a fine finish. If you ask what materials to use for scale making you will find that antler is not highly recommended. If I were to use this knife everyday and work it hard that would be correct. Antler will not stand up to hard work. This knife is well taken care of and will last me the rest of my life. Within reason use what ever scale material suits your fancy. There are several knife making supply stores on line that sell the pin material and everything you may need.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Be glad to help

Good luck,,,,Floyd

scattershot
09-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Check Case first. If they can’t help, look over on Blade Forums.com for a guy named Glenbaad. He has done beautiful work for some folks over there.