PDA

View Full Version : Protecting outside of BBL from rust

corvette8n
09-27-2008, 12:21 PM
My Gamo pellet rifle hangs near the back door of my garage to keep squrrels and chipmonks under control and out of the bird feeder. I noticed the barrel is starting to get little flakes of rust. Since the thing hangs out of sight it doesn't get much maintenance. Can I wax the barrel or something to keep it from rusting? If so what is the best thing to use. I usually wipe it once in a while with a rag and a little CLP, but that doesn't seem to be doing the job.

Glen
09-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Sure can. Johnson's Paste Wax or one of the silicone water-proofing sprays do a fine job of preventing rust.

HeavyMetal
09-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Agreed!

An old tip passed on in the southwestern U.S. for concealed carry: Strip your gun down and degrease it in hot (boiling) water. It will dry instantly when removed from the water! As soon as it's dry put on a good heavy coat of any good car wax! Turtle wax had the nod from the guys who passed this tip on to me!

This needs to be done several times a year in the Az, New Mexico area along the border!

RU shooter
09-27-2008, 02:52 PM
If its your barn gun so to speak Why dont you just degrease it good and give it a coat of clear paint or any color for that matter,It will last for years .If you ever want to remove it a good solvent will take it back to its original state.

Tim

Firebird
09-27-2008, 04:45 PM
If you use one of the auto waxes, check the ingredient list to make sure there are no abrasives intended to polish the paint. You don't want the abrasives to be polishing off the blued finish on your guns.

Ricochet
09-27-2008, 05:51 PM
I've coated rifles with Johnson's Paste Wax and left it on thick when I was going to hunt in rain for extended periods. Never saw any rust that way. Haven't left one in the barn for months, though.

runfiverun
09-27-2008, 07:46 PM
birchwood casey makes a spray called sheath, that seems to work pretty well.
i use it in the snow on my duck guns, just a quick spray every now and then should do ya.

shooter93
09-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Sheath is excellent. I use the regular can type and a cloth instead of spray but it's worked for long term storage for me for years, including guns stored in soft cases.

pdawg_shooter
09-29-2008, 08:29 AM
I have used Breakfree CLP for years and have never had one rust.

Navahojoe
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I use Howard's Feed and Wax on my rifles. Shines and protects the wood and keeps barrels, exposed to the elements, from rusting for me. I haven't tried it as a boolit lube yet, but any day now. Also smells a heckva lot better than Johnson's Paste Wax. which I do use as boolit lube. You can also use it to spiffy up the furniture and earn points from SWMBO! YMMV!:mrgreen: It can be found at Home Depot and Hardware stores.
regards,
NavahoJoe :castmine:

Ricochet
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Could always coat the metal with LLA. Rust prevention is its original purpose.

Bigscot
10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Texas Flyboy told me one time, IIRC, he wiped a gun down with atf and left in an old build for 2 years and there was no rust on it.

Bigscot

wiljen
10-06-2008, 12:57 PM
+1 for LLA - I've coated my fence/gate hardware with it and it does work.