PDA

View Full Version : New star lube die idea

crabo
09-27-2008, 12:56 AM
I was thinking about having lathesmith make me a lube die with 4-6 holes in a single row around the die. Do you think this would work for lubing those 44s with a big lube groove? I have never checked to see how the star distributes its lube to the die.

Jon K
09-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Why doesn't it work now like it is? I use 1 row(3) holes on Saeco #420/446 & Lyman 427666, all are 1 large lube groove.

Jon

runfiverun
09-27-2008, 01:45 AM
the three they use does lube okay,
but if i were to have one made i would do 4 straight across from each other at 90 * so it would be easier to drill.
imo this would be easier to lube all boolits with, and save a lot of lathe time.

crabo
09-27-2008, 07:19 AM
I sometimes have trouble getting the lube groove filled completely, causing me to run the boolits through several times. I have an old star that had a lot of old lube lube in it. I think I cleaned it out well. I have not seen any evidence of any old lube, but I sometimes wonder if I got it all out. I took out the screws and used a very hot heat gun to run all the lube out.

I just did a bunch of RCBS 250K and I had trouble using speed green getting them to fill completely, even using a light bulb as a heater. I have had the same problem with BAC and I know the lube is warm enough. Sometimes the groove will fill out with one pass and sometimes it won't. On some dies and boolits, it works perfectly.

I did some of the Lee 310GC and I lubed the groove and the area above the check and it worked very well with two rows of the holes open. I thought I could use the same die, still using 2 rows open, for the single lube groove, and they came out pretty messy. I didn't want to clean the die and put shot in the other row of holes because I was planning on doing some more gc.

That is why I was thinking of having more holes around the die.

I hope this makes sense.

R.M.
09-27-2008, 10:41 AM
If I have trouble filling the grooves, I'll give it a double pump. Works for me. YMMV

mtgrs737
09-27-2008, 04:01 PM
A little more heat, and make sure you have the groove centered in the row of holes. It should lube ok with the three holes, mine does.

Springfield
09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
It might not be "needed", but it sure wouldn't hurt. With my 250 grain Big Lube(tm) bullets I have 2 rows, 6 holes, open. The groove is wide enough to allow this. But I find if the regular 3 holes are lined up properly then it is usually enough. If your lube grooves are not always filling up I find it is because I am going a little too fast for the lower chamber to fill up and I get air pockets. A little more heat helps, but not too much as I start getting lube on the noses.

dardascastbullets
09-27-2008, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=crabo;402508]I sometimes have trouble getting the lube groove filled completely, causing me to run the boolits through several times. I have an old star that had a lot of old lube lube in it. I think I cleaned it out well. I have not seen any evidence of any old lube, but I sometimes wonder if I got it all out. I took out the screws and used a very hot heat gun to run all the lube out.

I just did a bunch of RCBS 250K and I had trouble using speed green getting them to fill completely, even using a light bulb as a heater. I have had the same problem with BAC and I know the lube is warm enough. Sometimes the groove will fill out with one pass and sometimes it won't. On some dies and boolits, it works perfectly.

I did some of the Lee 310GC and I lubed the groove and the area above the check and it worked very well with two rows of the holes open. I thought I could use the same die, still using 2 rows open, for the single lube groove, and they came out pretty messy. I didn't want to clean the die and put shot in the other row of holes because I was planning on doing some more gc.

I believe that you have a/an underlying problem(s) that need to be addressed rather than trying to mask them.

>Lube temperature is not adequate - possibly preventing the flow of lube.
>Inadequate lube column pressure.
>Improper top punch setting (position).

There is one other item that needs to be checked - that is the lube channel. Is it free and clear?

Verify that all the above items are indeed functional and working and you will find your problem.

I trust that this information will help you.

deltaenterprizes
09-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Check the holes in the die sometimes they can get blocked with a little piece of trash.

runfiverun
09-27-2008, 07:57 PM
also the lube tube might not be warm enough.
while the lower area is warmed up the tube above where you push the lube down from isn't warm enough to let the lube slide.
i still think 4 holes would be better though.

crabo
09-27-2008, 08:32 PM
>[/B]Lube temperature is not adequate - possibly preventing the flow of lube.
>Inadequate lube column pressure.
>Improper top punch setting (position).

Thanks,

Lube temp is good
Adequate pressure on lube
Top punch setting is good. Whenever I do a new boolit, when I get it right, I measure and write the number down in the lid of the box I keep my dies in. It makes it real easy to change calibers.

I think Springfield probably has the right idea about trapped air. The lube I made in a loaf pan and shaved a bunch up, then put it in the tube. I took a heat gun and melted it and pushed it down. I bet I had a lot of air trapped in the lube.

I think I will melt some lube and pour it in the sizer. After it cools, I'll try lubing the next set of boolits. But I still like the idea of the die with more holes. I never have any problem with smaller boolits.

leftiye
09-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Not having problems with smaller boolits suggests that not enough lube is being pushed into the larger boolits. Double pump and/or a little more heat.

crabo
09-28-2008, 02:37 PM
I know I have enough heat because it is oozing out...... I'll do the new die and let you guys know how it works.

Shotgun Luckey
10-02-2008, 02:43 PM
The stroke on the pump can be adjusted to pump more lube per stroke

crabo
10-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Didn't know that. How do you do it?

454PB
10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
There's a bolt in the linkage that can be screwed in or out to change the pump stroke. Just watch the linkage as it's operated, you will see the bolt head that it touches. Yours is probably screwed all the way in, so you didn't know it was adjustable.