PDA

View Full Version : Cast HP Worked

sixshot
09-18-2018, 05:54 PM
I have been practicing with a new 45 caliber HP in my OM shorty for the last week or so & yesterday I shot for a couple of hours at my Bill Fowler Steel target & thing were looking good. My load I settled on is 11 grs of Longshot with the 217 gr Maxine Mouth HP & it's running 965 fps out of my 4 5/8's 3 screw.
For sure I can run this bullet faster but with this alloy I felt like I was in the right velocity range to make things work. On one forum a guy told me I shouldn't be using that bullet & that in his opinion a solid would work much better & then he finished by saying, trust me! When I quizzed him about his knowledge about six gun bullets, HP bullets, or hunting with six guns he told me he had never killed anything with a six gun but he a lot of knowledge shooting cast bullets..... in muzzle loaders, some bullets weighing 400+ grains & running maybe 1800 fps & again I was suppose to trust "his" knowledge.
I arrived a little bit earlier than usual & started down a bumpy road on the 4 wheeler after watching another guy shoot a nice antelope with his rifle, it was a dandy although it had been fighting & it was well broomed.
After a few minutes I spotted a doe running down hill towards a little spring so I stopped & then another deer popped up in the tall brush. I yanked out my OM shorty & took a breath as I broke the shot. I hit something because I saw something fly but I didn't hit the deer, it just turned from broadside to a sharp angle away from me. Thumbing the hammer back with my left thumb (right handed shooter) I held just behind the rib cage & sent another one down range. This one knocked her flat instantly. I looked for a couple of seconds & 2 more deer came running down the hill towards her then out of sight.
I went up the rocky road & walked over & seen that I had actually hit a steel fence post with the first shot, I never even seen it because of the weeds & small sticks but I could clearly see where the bullet had hit it & that's what I saw blow up on the first shot. The bullet had entered just behind the last rib & angled up into the lungs, you can see all the damage it did to the lungs in photo 4. I drove my 4 wheeler down the old fence line & loaded her up & went back to the truck, shoved a bag of ice in the body cavity & took off to have some breakfast. Sorry, I guess I left out the distance, 61 yds.
I think this bullet is going to be a dandy for deer size game in this velocity range....TRUST ME!

https://i.imgur.com/SIo4nyZh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ETGJV4Bh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wXBN7Ath.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ACHRbLyh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ddhxa3Th.jpg

Dick

redhawk0
09-18-2018, 06:12 PM
Very nice...meat for the freezer...thanx for sharing the story.

redhawk

nockhunter
09-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Nice,, did you find the bullet or exit wound?

Mike

Larry Gibson
09-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Well done!

trapper9260
09-18-2018, 06:37 PM
Good job. Did you find the boolit and if so how did it look?

megasupermagnum
09-18-2018, 08:01 PM
The weirdest part about looking at pictures like this, I all of a sudden smell guts. It's a good and bad smell at the same time. Great job, I don't know how you could possibly ask any more from a bullet if it exited. If it didn't I'd still take that over a solid that will go through end to end.

EMC45
09-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Well done!

TRUST ME!! That could be your sig line.

Beerd
09-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Dick, I think I understand why you added it at the end,
but anyone who demands that you "Trust Me" ........ that's a rant for another thread.

and nice work with the 3 screw shorty

dougader
09-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Never a doubt in my mind, Dick. The Meat Hammer strikes again! :-)

Ramjet-SS
09-18-2018, 10:35 PM
great write up and never a doubt on the HP right alloy for the speed works

MT Gianni
09-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Great write up and pictures, you really take us there.

MT Gianni
09-19-2018, 08:49 PM
How was the off shoulder and side regarding blood coagulating and splatter? Too many have doubts about the HP being overly destructive. The penetration looks to be great.

sixshot
09-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Haven't taken the hide off yet, I'll keep her iced down for another day or two that way I only have to skin her once. But I did look inside & I see why she dropped so fast, because of the angle the bullet clipped part of the spine, she really hit the ground hard, spine hits will do that.
It will be interesting to see what else happened in there after I get the hide off. For sure the bullet worked fine, at least in my eyes after hitting her at that angle behind the last rib & making it to the lungs. I'll take that every time.

Dick

shortlegs
09-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Nice shooting! Great eating also! Would love to have a short barrel to go with my 7.5 in bisley.

blikseme300
09-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Nice post! Nothing beats the evidence of cast Pb meeting flesh & bone.

Too many experts in the world, IMHO.

Anecdote: (Mods please just delete this post if it is over the line.) In the late 20th century I worked for a Jewish investment business, in fact I was the first goi to be hired. I learned a lot of Yiddish and some Hebrew along with some very good Jewish humor. One of their lines was that "trust me" is Hebrew/Yiddish for "f you".

Tripplebeards
09-20-2018, 09:01 PM
What??? A hp cast boolit expanded and all its energy dumped into an animal for a "dead right there" instant death...what it can't be done unless it was a sold boolit. LOL!!!

...Take that HP haters

sixshot
09-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Well I think we get used to using something when we've had success with it & the guy speaking out against the HP seems to be a very experienced hunter/shooter, we just travel down different roads. I was talking handguns & he was talking muzzle loaders which is fine. The problem I had was when he made the comment "Trust Me" That got me riled up, as it would any one. Still, I don't know him but I'm guessing he's a very fine hunter with his equipment. That's all I'll say.

Dick

Houndog
09-21-2018, 02:53 PM
It's hard to argue with success and it looks like your gun/load/and marksmanship did the job! Can't ask for more.

Wayne R. Scott
09-21-2018, 06:10 PM
I am thinking that if you had used the solid it would have gone through the fence post and the deer also, saving you some ammo with only one shot needed. TIC (tongue in cheek).

missionary5155
09-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Good evening
Fantastic ! Another corn cruncher off the roads and fulfilling it's destiny. Nice shot on a moving target.
Mike in ILLinois

white eagle
09-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Dick empty out some of your mailbox so I can send you a pm
David

sixshot
09-22-2018, 02:20 PM
OK, I've deleted some old messages, sorry!

Dick

Prodigal Son
09-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Always do your own testing, TRUST ME, experience is the best teacher! Good job looks just about right for what "you're " doing.

3leggedturtle
09-23-2018, 11:28 AM
I am thinking that if you had used the solid it would have gone through the fence post and the deer also, saving you some ammo with only one shot needed. TIC (tongue in cheek).
That’s funny! I was thinking the same thing late Friday nite.... Todd

sixshot
09-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Never thought of that, I'll have to practice up on my fence post shooting, if I could just see one at 61 yds!

Dick

DeputyDuke
09-23-2018, 10:44 PM
Any time a hunter/shooter/caster/loader takes a bare naked, portable handgun and harvests game, I am impressed! Well done!

Messy bear
09-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Did you recover the slug?

sixshot
09-29-2018, 01:26 AM
I looked but didn't find it, I'm not much of a coroner I guess. I know it didn't exit but after looking for a while I gave up, not one of my favorite things to do after looking for a while. I still have one more antelope tag but I'll probably use a different caliber, that's what makes it fun.

Dick

Messy bear
10-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Sometimes I go back to gut pile, after coyotes have cleaned it up, with a metal detector. Most times they leave the slug on the ground intact but have seen them chewed on��. Also works on the boned out skeleton. Found many lead sheds that way.

RED BEAR
10-01-2018, 10:47 AM
if it works for you then thats all that matters.

BarkEater
10-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Fantastic story, congrats and thanks for sharing

LazyTCross
10-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Good work, I do enjoy seeing folks taking game with Cast and open sights... Even better when ya get the whole story

megasupermagnum
10-01-2018, 06:41 PM
Sometimes I go back to gut pile, after coyotes have cleaned it up, with a metal detector. Most times they leave the slug on the ground intact but have seen them chewed on��. Also works on the boned out skeleton. Found many lead sheds that way.

Better not tell the eco crazies. A gut pile is a radioactive death trap for animals, especially condors.:kidding:

I put my guts where the chickens and cats get them. Haven't had one die yet. At least not from eating lead.

LazyTCross
10-03-2018, 02:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/6f1eba8da86d7a7374d2161ff16a8688.jpg
Recovered these from a cadaver creature. Coyotes had them well chewed up. They must’ve survived because I didn’t find any dead ones laying near by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siamese4570
10-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Sixshot: I got one of those Boone &Crockett "T" posts with a bow one time. I was watching the orange nock on the arrow head for the deers ribcage and then plink! The arrow did a hard right turn. It'll make you say huh?!
Siamese4570