PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Ever Find A Gun In The Safe They Forget They Had?

jonp
09-15-2018, 08:13 AM
With nothing else to do because of the Hurricane I decided it would be a good time to pull all of the firearms and clean them while making sure the Serial Numbers were recorded. In the back of the safe under a dehumidifying bag I found an old Lorcin I had bought a number of years off a kid for $25 as a curiosity and something to play around with. Interesting design and strangely enough it needed no work as it is absolutely reliable!

Anyone else ever find something like that?

Elkins45
09-15-2018, 09:04 AM
I found a S&W 10mm auto in pristine condition that I had absolutely no memory of buying.

tunnug
09-15-2018, 09:20 AM
I almost got rid of all my 22 Hornet reloading and ammo before I realized I still had a gun for it in the safe.

toallmy
09-15-2018, 09:30 AM
I haven't found anything yet but I sometimes don't remember what I did with some of them , recently a old friend that I haven't seen much for a few years sent my old 44 back to me . I think he returned it because it doesn't function properly now but it's been 20 years - he said he still has the m1 carbine .

therealhitman
09-15-2018, 10:35 AM
I have done that several times with rifles, guitars and 60s GTO and Firebird parts. The kind of stuff you grab at the swap meets and stash in anticipation of needing it someday.

jdfoxinc
09-15-2018, 10:41 AM
No. I've hate some disappear into the black hole in there, only to re appear after I gave up finding them.

RED BEAR
09-15-2018, 10:48 AM
not in the safe but found a couple in a storage space in Attic . i thought had left with not sure how. looked several times there for them but nothing. i have the ability to look straight at something and still not see it. gave up on them for about 5 years and one day was up there and there they were right in front of me.

jmort
09-15-2018, 11:36 AM
I found a S&W 10mm auto in pristine condition that I had absolutely no memory of buying.

I think we have a winner. Love finding stuff I forgot about.

Tom W.
09-15-2018, 01:19 PM
I'm still wondering what happened to my NEF .270 that I had.....

Grmps
09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
As our memory gets worse, our surprise finds get bigger and better :)

M-Tecs
09-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Awhile back I was doing a lot of selling and trading at gun shows. Later I was looking for something else I a discovered a S&W 629 that I have no idea when or how I came to own it.

Dieselhorses
09-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Awhile back I was doing a lot of selling and trading at gun shows. Later I was looking for something else I a discovered a S&W 629 that I have no idea when or how I came to own it.

So THAT'S where I left it!

adcoch1
09-15-2018, 02:52 PM
I found a 22 i had no recollection of, a sigle shot Stevens. I also found a 308 arisaka hack job that took me three months to remember where it came from. But I was doing gun shows back then, so a lot of trading was going on...

snowwolfe
09-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately I have. So now I keep a book listing each weapon, what I paid for it, and the serial number. I also include what type of scope is on it if it is scoped. Having the book has helped prevent me from making another purchase of the exact same rifle.

Gewehr-Guy
09-15-2018, 04:42 PM
I thought somebody stole my Rossi 22 pump, till I found it next year in the combine cab where I left it. That reminds me, maybe I should go look in all my old PU trucks that I put out to pasture after they got old and feeble.

Texas by God
09-15-2018, 04:47 PM
I've loaned a couple out never to be seen again. Another one I bought again when I spied it at the local pawn emporium. I should do a count now I guess.
I won't find a S&W by suprise- that is certain!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

popper
09-15-2018, 05:43 PM
The work loan does not appear in family vocabulary.

gpidaho
09-15-2018, 05:52 PM
I too can look right at something and not see it. Drives me nuts looking for lost items. By next Easter I'll be able to hide my own eggs. LOL Gp

Hickory
09-15-2018, 06:20 PM

You didn't buy it, I loaned it to you!:drinks:

am44mag
09-15-2018, 06:22 PM
The day I find a 629 that I don't remember owning will be the day I admit that I have too many guns, lol. :D

bob208
09-15-2018, 08:32 PM
found some that were stashed and I forgot about.

M-Tecs
09-15-2018, 08:56 PM
The day I find a 629 that I don't remember owning will be the day I admit that I have too many guns, lol. :D

That could be possible.

wv109323
09-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Never a gun but I found a mold that I forgot I had purchased. I had wanted a 45-70 for some time. I come across one at a suitable price and purchased it. I went through my dies and I found I had purchased 3 sets of 45-70 dies over the years in anticipation of owning one.

fatelk
09-15-2018, 11:04 PM
The work loan does not appear in family vocabulary.

I assume you meant "word"? Lending and borrowing can sure be problematic, I really hate to do either. I once loaned a bicycle to a friend who was going through a tough time and had no transportation. It was a nice bike, not a junker. I made sure she knew it was a loan and I did want it back eventually. I also stressed that she HAD to store it inside, even though it meant bringing upstairs into her apartment, because if she didn't, it absolutely WOULD get stolen, in her neighborhood.

Next time I saw her, maybe a week later, the first thing she says is, "Remember that bike you gave me? Someone stole it. I bought a bike lock at the dollar store and chained it up outside. I can't believe someone stole my bike!"

Yeah, I don't lend stuff out unless absolutely necessary, or it's something I can do without.

samari46
09-15-2018, 11:26 PM
Was going through my reloading dies and found 2 sets of 35 rem dies and 2 sets of 30-40 dies. I bought some of the large rubber maid lockable tubs when we moved from NY to Louisiana. Was going through them to see what exactly I had squirreled away. Porter Cable router, one pad sander and two circular sanders, heat gun, small nail gun and a bunch of other stuff that hasn't seen the light of day since I don't know when. Frank

Dieselhorses
09-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Come to think of it I was cleaning off the top of my kitchen cabinets one day and discovered my Ruger .22 Mark II laying up there! How it ended up there is beyond me.

jonp
09-19-2018, 04:38 AM
Just ordered some brass for my 40cal as I didn't have any. I was just looking out in the garage for something and found 1,000 sealed in mylar bags.

Hickory
09-19-2018, 05:30 AM
I've never found an extra gun in my safe, but about 3 years ago I found a roll of fifties and twenties amounting to 840 dollars, wrapped in rotten rubber bands that were so old that they were sticking to the money like it was glue.
Never did figure out how it got there or where it came from.
I don't think I was holding it for anyone, so, I put it back in the safe in an envelope. When I remember where it came from, I'll deal with it in the proper manner.

Lloyd Smale
09-19-2018, 06:46 AM
nope but was talking shot guns with my buddy and remembered id loaned my browning side by side 20 gauge to my dad about 20 years ago. Forgot all about that gun. Called my dad who doesn't hunt anymore to ask him to get it back and he told me he gave it to my brother in law. I told him to march right over there this minute and get it back!! Its back home today.

Harter66
09-19-2018, 09:38 AM
My Dad passed away a while back and had mentioned a 218 Bee 4-5 yr ago ........or 15 , anyway my Uncle was complaining that brass was too hard to find for his and it was going away . I did a little research and found it's slim but sisters are readily available and just about that time it was on the shelf in several places also .
So last week out of the blue for reasons I can't even begin to imagine , Mom says Dad had a 217 Bee ....... You mean a 218 ? .... Umm is that it ? Yes I guess it is . I don't ever remember having seen the rifle but then Grampa Al's 57' M70 and The white line ebony tipped 700BDL and MK X 98 may have over shadowed it . I know he only had 1 lever gun and it was 1 he had wanted for a very long time when I gave it to him not knowing how soon I'd get it back .......Mom says I can't have it until she's done with it . Cool by me it comes back with a 3 screw 5 5/8 BlackHawk that was never "fixed " . She kept my XD40 too......

With the recent transplant and Dad's stuff being ......... widely distributed in a poorly arranged manor ....... I decided that I needed to get busy with the cataloging of all of my stuff plus his stuff added as discovered ....... I found dies I haven't inspected . 2 BP daringers I didn't know I had although the one I'm sure is the one he "lost" . He lost a 60' Colts and a WRF also but I'm willing to bet they turn up before I'm done . There's so much stuff stuck in places I'd be surprised to not find the WRF stuck under a mattress .....

Don't know why I have 3 sets of 45-70 dies I don't remember buying the as new set . I know why I had 3 sets of 38/357 , I don't know why I have a CH 38 Special seater or a 4th set spread between the other 3 boxes . More confusing is why there's a Lee sizer in with the chrome Lyman 7×57 set . Where did all the collet type rifle FCDs come from ? I know over the years I've sold , traded , and given away at least 6 sets of 44 mag dies and thankfully I didn't find anymore of them .

pertnear
09-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Yeah, it happened to me. I was cleaning out & arranging my gun safe when I found a rear compartment. I opened it & found two Colt Pythons, a 4" & a 6", S&W mod 19 4" & a Win mod 70 Safari grade .375.

Then I woke up....

:-P

3leggedturtle
09-19-2018, 03:58 PM
I have a NIB Williams peep sigh for a Winchester 94 that I don’t remember ordering. Todd

Harry O
09-19-2018, 06:06 PM
no. I've hate some disappear into the black hole in there, only to re appear after i gave up finding them.

/\ /\ /\ this /\ /\ /\

LUBEDUDE
09-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Funny, I was thinking of starting a similar thread some time back. But I didn’t think that there would be any takers.

I reckon I came down with CRS (can’t remember sh-stuff). I’m guilty of new discoveries myself and find it perplexing.

It’s not always the safe either. About a year ago I was digging behind the seat of my truck and came across a Win. Model ‘97. Not only did I not recognize it, I have no idea to this day how it got there. The bad thing was it was in a leather scabbard which allowed rust to set in.

fatelk
09-19-2018, 07:43 PM
I had the opposite happen to me once, about 20 years ago; I looked behind the seat of my truck for a couple guns that were there, only they weren’t. That was a bad day, and ever since then I never leave anything of value in my vehicle.

Elkins45
09-20-2018, 12:39 AM
I've never found an extra gun in my safe, but about 3 years ago I found a roll of fifties and twenties amounting to 840 dollars, wrapped in rotten rubber bands that were so old that they were sticking to the money like it was glue.
Never did figure out how it got there or where it came from.
I don't think I was holding it for anyone, so, I put it back in the safe in an envelope. When I remember where it came from, I'll deal with it in the proper manner.

You were holding it for me for the S&W 10mm, remember? :D

Walks
09-20-2018, 01:34 AM
I've never "forgotten" I owned a gun. But I've lost a few that I loaned to friends that died, and my plea's to have them returned were rebuffed by family members.
The Police consider it a family matter, or in the case of a different City, a jurisdictional matter. It doesn't seem to matter that I have purchase receipts that have My Name, ID & the Firearms SN and description.

In California you CANNOT sell a firearm to anybody without going through an FFL for a full background check.

Two years after My Friend died of CANCER, I had to buy back my own UBERTI 1866 from another of MATT'S friends for the $600 bucks he'd paid MATT'S ***** wife for it. If I'd reported it to the Police, then MATT'S friend could've gotten into trouble.

And I just HI-Jacked this thread. Sorry.

Now that I think about it. I did stash a gun that I thought was loaned to MATT. It was found in the Computer desk tower cabinet by my Daughter. She was doing an upgrade to my hardware. When she was finished, she walked into the Living room with a RUGER New Vaquero in one hand & 6rds of .45COLT in the other. Boy did I feel stupid. I got a lecture from a 34yr old girl about keeping loaded firearms properly locked & secured away from children.

Hickory
09-20-2018, 11:43 AM
You were holding it for me for the S&W 10mm, remember? :D

Sorry, my recollection is not the same as yours.:bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2018, 08:06 PM
About 4 years ago, while preparing for my gun auction, I came across two Ruger SRH hunters in 44 mag. I don't recall buying the second one? It looked NIB. I did shoot the other one, quite often in fact. In that auction, I sold all my 44cal guns.

Then, when I started selling 44 components, I was startled to find soo much new brass sealed in original bags...there was two 5 gallon buckets full...I didn't remember buying all that?

bruce drake
09-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Not a firearm misplaced but some extra components. I built a switch barrel 1911 in 45ACP and 400 Corbon (both government model slide setups) a few years back and recently added a Combat Commander 45ACP bull and barrel and slide to the setup for my ECD and put the spare 45 ACP and 400 Corbon slides and barrels on a shelf in one of the gunsafes for safe keeping...Or so I thought....a few months back I went to swap the 45 slides back for some Bullseye practice shooting and I couldn't find either Govt. Model slides in the safe....I tore the gun room apart looking for them and then went to the workbench in the garage where I work in my firearms and reload and tore it apart....still nothing....

Several months went by this summer and I was about to consign the missing slides and barrels to a bad cleaning day with the Mrs. (she can be a holy cleaning tornado sometimes) but this week, I went and checked the stack of pistol cases that I normally just store empty on a shelf after I purchase them....And in the Rock Island Armory case the pistol originally came were the two slide setups....

I then remembered when Jeff Brown from New Zealand brought his family to the States in April, we had a range day for him to do some shooting here with us and I brought the entire setup for him to shoot and especially the 400 Corbon wildcat setup. I must have left the spare slides in the case after I cleaned the pistol...

pworley1
09-20-2018, 09:40 PM
I found a S&W m&p shield 40 the other day while I was putting in the one I had just bought.

kevin c
09-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Not me, but our club's past president said he had so many handguns he ended up selling a bunch of them on consignment. A few months later he bought a few guns, thought some of them looked familiar, and, sure enough, on checking the serial numbers found he just bought back some of the ones he had sold.

hiram
09-21-2018, 01:20 PM
I found a Win M92 in 44-40. I thought it might have been stolen or I left it at the range. Still have and will sell it.

ThomR
09-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Not me, but my brother. There is an old shed behind what used to be my grandparents house that had a lot of junk in it. He was working on cleaning out some of the junk in there and was throwing stuff on a burn pile. He picked up an old black plastic carrying case and was about to throw it on the burn pile when he realized it was far to heavy to be empty. This case had been sitting in the shed as long as he can remember and never thought anything of it. So he opens in, and inside was a 12 gauge pump shotgun in excellent condition. Who knows who put it there(I assume my dad), or how long it has been there.

Wis Tom
09-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Found in the top back, of one of the safes, my Grandfather's 32 auto pistol, that he brought back from WW1. It is a Vesta in an old leather holster. Forgotten completely about it. Took it out, and gave it a cleaning and oil.

Char-Gar
09-23-2018, 01:07 PM
When looked like Hillary was going to win in 2016, I gave an assortment of shotguns, rifles and handguns to my three grandchildren in custody of their parents. The number was about 50. I wanted them to have gun, if the libs actually took over the country.

I still have plenty of guns, but sometimes I can't remember what I gave away and what I still have.

lightman
09-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I have. Back in I think the 90's a friend had a FFL. There were a ton of things being imported and I bought several things that I had little interest in except that they were cheap. Broomhandle Mausers, P-38's, Lathi's, Inglis Hi-Powers, ect. They were wartime production and in good enough condition, but the finish was rough like wartime stuff can be. There were a few European police trade-ins too, like a Walter P-7.

El Bibliotecario
09-26-2018, 07:22 PM
I just noticed this post and thought, what nonsense! How does one just 'forget' a weapon? Then I remembered the No4 Mk1 Enfield which recently surfaced while inventorying my rifle chest, which I have no memory of acquiring.

10x
09-27-2018, 08:51 AM
I don't recall the safe, and I have no idea of how many guns are in it....
I thought that was the question....
I have bought guns that I though I wanted, brought them home, and put them in the gun rack right beside the gun I had already bought and forgot I bought.
Or sometimes I get a deal I just can't pass up like the Savage Axis in 243, new in box being firesaled at a dealer for under $200 -

Moonie
09-27-2018, 05:10 PM
Just ordered some brass for my 40cal as I didn't have any. I was just looking out in the garage for something and found 1,000 sealed in mylar bags.

I did exactly this with 357 Sig brass...

Kraschenbirn
09-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Yeah, couple years ago I came across an old Ruger 'Standard' .22 (fixed sights, black eagle grips, 4" barrel) in the back of the safe that I'd have sworn I sold/swapped sometime in the late 1990s. Two original Ruger mags and the owner's pamphlet with it but no box. Last week, I needed an ammo can for a batch of .357 reloads and the first 'empty' I pulled out of the storage cabinet was 1/2 full of .30-06 Ball in Garand clips...no label taped to the can so I've no idea how long they've been there. Then, this afternoon, was fishing around in the same cabinet for a box to store some small parts and found a set of RCBS .308 dies in one of the old square, red plastic, Lee boxes. They've been used but dunno where they came from or how long they've been there. But, I did actually take my car keys off the belt clip this morning and remembered where I laid them down when I ready to leave the house!!

Bill

Shingle
09-28-2018, 03:25 AM
Yes, guns I forgot about among other things! LOL!!!!!

Got-R-Did
10-01-2018, 04:07 AM
My Gunsnith is retiring and recently called me to come get two rifles he never got around to.
Records show that I took them to him in 2009 and 2010. He lost his Mother, Sister and his 30 year old son in successive years and he never quite recovered. He had a heart attack two years ago.
Glad they are coming home, but I had to ask him what they were; I completely forgot about them.
Got-R-Did.

Pressman
10-01-2018, 03:00 PM
I lost the keys to the gun safe, who knows what's in there. I had them a couple of months ago and now? All I can think of is I had them in the pocket of a pair of jeans with ripped out knees that I pitched.
I am not going to destroy the cabinet or hire a locksmith till I think this through really well.
Ken