PDA

View Full Version : A dilemma for me

FISH4BUGS
09-12-2018, 07:07 AM
I have a bizarre interest in what they call "hardware store" shotguns. There are guns made by old double makers like Crescent Arms for sale in catalogs, hardware store, and mail order. They typically were made pre WW2 for "the trade". I am interested in these because they were bought and used, and used hard.
In the barn, in the truck, on the tractor....these guns were worked, as they were intended. Thus, seeing one in pristine condition is rare, and in fact, I have just seen my first one after a number of years of looking.
I came across an American Arms (Crescent Arms made) 32" F&F side lock style double in absolute pristine condition. The case colors are brilliant and it has 98% barrel blue and the wood is perfect. The ONLY one like this I have ever seen.
The problem is that he wants $795 for it and I like to trade more than put out cash.
I have a virtually "new in the box" 1943 made H&R 999 Sportsman (not rare in and of itself but absolutely NIB) with original paper and brochure. The box is numbered to the gun and it is perfect NEW in all respects. This gun was H&R's top of the line 22 in those days.
My dilemma is that I also have a 1960's 98% Colt Officer's Model Match that I shoot with some regularity. I could trade that towards this gun. The OMM is my favorite shooter....H&G #51 w/ 4 gr WW231.....pick the hair off a fly's butt at 25 yards....:)
I would be trading one gun or the other (the H&R is impossible to replace) along with a bit of cash towards another gun that is impossible to find.
I really want to shoot the H&R some day. The H&R with 22 shorts would be a great shooter. The OMM can be replaced, but the H&R can't. One gun I shoot the other is a safe queen.
What would YOU do?

greenwart
09-12-2018, 08:14 AM
I don't trade a lot , but my friend Robert does and I always hear him regrets about guns that he truly enjoyed then sold. Much like the stock market sell your losers and keep riding your winners. Keep the one you shoot.

Love Life
09-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Sell me the Colt and use the proceeds towards the shotgun AND keep the H&R. Win/win!!!

mattw
09-12-2018, 08:41 AM
I know what I would do... sell one of the kids! Seriously, I would not part with either. The OMM is tuned, good load worked up, fits your hand and you love it. The other, you want to shoot it and just have not convinced yourself of that yet.

I like feed store guns, don't have one but really want one before I die. Even more I want a seed corn gun as I grew up around cattle and raising corn and beans. I hope I get the chance to own one and to shoot it regularly.

GhostHawk
09-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Come up with the cash and keep both guns.

I'll sell a gun that just plain does not fit, or can't be made to shoot.

But I don't sell guns that work and shoot to buy another gun.

I've sold a few to my shooting buddy because the price was right when I acquired them and they were a backup, a spare. Like the 2 Hipoint Carbines in 9mm I bought a few years back, both used. Was shooting the first one at the range and the RSO asked me if I liked it. I said yes it is awesome, why? Well he had bought one and did not shoot it, was I interested in it at 200$? You bet I was.

I was pretty darn sure I would end up selling it to my buddy for what I paid for it. I figured it would take him a year or 2 to warm up to it and raise the cash. I was right.

Same for a pair of H&R snub nosed revolvers in .32sw long. Bought 2 the same week. Kept the best shooter. When buddy was talking about looking for a self defense gun showed him the other. Only took 6 months to get paid. :) And it may not be a great self defense gun, but it is better than nothing. And I can reload ammo for him for next to nothing. A primer, 2 grains of Red Dot and a 90 gr cast bullet. Not a high priced round.

Wayne Smith
09-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Gotta answer a question - are you more a collector than shooter or shooter than collector? I'm a shooter, I have a 999 in much less good condition and it gets shot. If you are more a shooter than collector sell the 999 to someone who collects them and values it's condition and get another shooter!

Pine Baron
09-12-2018, 04:00 PM
I've regretted every single gun I've ever sold. Pay the cash and keep 'em.

Duckiller
09-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Stores sell guns . People buy guns and keep them.

richhodg66
09-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Not much to add, but I don't think an obsession with hardware store shotguns is bizarre. I find them interesting too.

country gent
09-12-2018, 05:44 PM
I know what you mean by these old shotguns FFB, WE have an old eastern arms single shot in the Family, Its a 410. I think every family member learned to hunt and or shoot with this shotgun. Its had the clip on forearm rebuilt several times I know of. ( the inner latch wears and it dosnt lock on). My Grandfather took the barrel in to work and ground the chamber from 2 1/2" to 3". extractors been replaced a couple times ( I made the one that's in it now from scratch). Its seen a lot of use and is still going strong. I believe Dad and both my Aunts learned with this shot gun also. Its now in my safe awaiting my grand sons use.

A lot of these guns were working guns more so than sporting guns. They were used t feed the families and protect the stock the farm. A lot seen rough use from barns to horse drawn riding equipment to tractors and combines. They were used all hours of the day and night. a lot were shotguns but there were a lot of 22 rimfires also.

Sears was JC Higgins and later Ted Williams brands, Montgomery wards was the Ranger line. Western Auto had a store brand also, We think the above 410 was purchased from there also.

popper
09-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Try finding paper shells to fire in it, mucho dinero. I got one for free (family), 12ga single. Came with a box of paper 410. Gave it back to the 'family'. 3 light dove loads and it's GONE.

FISH4BUGS
09-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Gotta answer a question - are you more a collector than shooter or shooter than collector? I'm a shooter, I have a 999 in much less good condition and it gets shot. If you are more a shooter than collector sell the 999 to someone who collects them and values it's condition and get another shooter!
I collect AND shoot everything I own. Pre Model 24 S&W 44 special, 5 screw pre 29, 1960's Model 28, 3" SB flat latch Chief's Special, Colt Shooting Master, etc. plus the carry guns. All these are shot with cast lead bullets and mostly light loadings. I always keep a few full house jacketed loads around and run them through the guns on occasion.
The ONLY gun I haven't fired yet is the 999, only because it is (I think) unfired. I have no real thing for 999 except this one is new in the box and was made in 1943.
Still thinking about this one.....I really don't know what to do.
I'll sleep on it for another night.

Wayne Smith
09-13-2018, 07:36 AM
So your 999 is your only true collector gun, that has true collector value - in box,with papers, possibly unfired except at the factory. There are collectors for everything - find one who values condition that much and you can buy yourself a couple shotguns.

NyFirefighter357
09-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Here those old hardware store guns are all considered wall hangers and have little to no value. I've gotten a few old hardware store shotguns for free but would never pay for any & if I did it wouldn't be over $50. I also don't sell guns, I acquire, "collect" maybe even buy but don't sell any. I have a Crescent it's in poor shape, I also have this Baker.

https://i.imgur.com/VO69h9Q.jpg

Tatume
09-13-2018, 08:14 AM
The H&R 999, while not an expensive gun when new, is surprisingly accurate. If you decide to keep and shoot yours, I suspect it will quickly become your favorite 22 revolver.

owejia
09-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Fish4Bugs life is short, it's only money you can always earn more, if you trade or sell will you have any regrets. I also have several of the old sxs guns and enjoy them, think of them as tools some one used to live their lives. If only they could tell their history.

Geezer in NH
09-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Collecting Crescents makes more sense to me than Colt's. Collecting is the chase not the possession of all.

Colts meh did not like their revolvers nor Autos. Collecting is what you LIKE not anyone else counts.

I collect old revolvers by every company that made them. The must be antique and functional. I shoot all my Bull pups. The price of one of the Colts would let me get 10 of mine.

A 90% Crescent in the condition you stated should be jumped on as most were used hard and put away wet.